Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Admittedly we've not actually seen what Ronaldo's like in a ten Hag system, however he was the least effective presser in the league last year so I'm not sure how well he'll fit in.

Strelok

Does anyone else think that the absence of a certain CR7 might be a factor in our attacking players starting to click as a unit again? I know I do.
Basically everyone in the match thread. One must be fecking blind to not see that.

Sylar

Interested to see what does happen when he comes back. No way he should be starting the first game of the season at all. and theres nothing to suggest he should be ahead of Martial.

Changing a system thats working pre=season to fit him in would be an issue. As would dropping Martial or putting Martial out wide to accommodate Ronaldo. If no CL team comes in for him and he stays, then we really should be looking to use him as maybe a sub to change the game against tiring legs.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Interested to see what does happen when he comes back. No way he should be starting the first game of the season at all. and theres nothing to suggest he should be ahead of Martial.

Changing a system thats working pre=season to fit him in would be an issue. As would dropping Martial or putting Martial out wide to accommodate Ronaldo. If no CL team comes in for him and he stays, then we really should be looking to use him as maybe a sub to change the game against tiring legs.
Good luck with that.

Greck

It doesn't even matter how he'll look. He's now set to miss the entire preseason. A player who already had questionable chemistry with other attackers. We'd be using league games to integrate him. He should have sealed his fate. Club should grow a pair and dodge the circus.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
See @Pogue Mahone? This post further proves my claim. It all begins with discussion on fluidity of attack in related to Ronaldo absence, which eventually turns into full scale Ronaldo bashing, instead of appreciating the work of ETH. Post like this really helps feeding the hater while undermining the work of new manager.
We can appreciate ETH's work and hope that prancing egomaniac never steps foot in the club again :)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Does anyone else think that the absence of a certain CR7 might be a factor in our attacking players starting to click as a unit again? I know I do.
Think it's clear the front 3 feel that way too. Look at all of them posting the same picture of the 3 of them together. They just have a chemistry on the pitch, not one of them thinks they are bigger than the others or the club... Its how it should be. Ronaldo just isn't worth it at this point. Get rid and replace him with someone who can compete with what we have to have better depth, but that's it.

For all of EtH's coaching, it's just clear to me that our squad likes each other better without Ronaldo.

Leethal

I hope he stays and makes a lot of people look foolish.
Why?

His little tantrum by not wanting to join the team that pays his ridiculously astronomical wages for pre-season is incredibly selfish and putting himself before the team. Do not take this the wrong way, and I am not privy to the "personal reasons" that have allowed him to miss the entire pre season with a new coach in a new system; but he missed a single game after the unfortunate miscarriage of his child. How does "personal reasons" go beyond the scope of that?!

Do you support Cristiano Ronaldo, or Manchester United?

Olecurls99

Ah well, too bad Ronaldo didn't want to stick around and see how the new manager might fare.

Club didn't meet his ambitions apparently. I guess that means he's off to Chelsea, Real, City, PSG, Bayern :wenger:

I'm sure the reality must be sinking in right about now.
Yeah, let him swivel

SuperiorXI

Why?

His little tantrum by not wanting to join the team that pays his ridiculously astronomical wages for pre-season is incredibly selfish and putting himself before the team. Do not take this the wrong way, and I am not privy to the "personal reasons" that have allowed him to miss the entire pre season with a new coach in a new system; but he missed a single game after the unfortunate miscarriage of his child. How does "personal reasons" go beyond the scope of that?!

Do you support Cristiano Ronaldo, or Manchester United?
Who knows what the personal reasons are... but I don't believe he is lying. What if it is to do with a close family member? Wouldn't be the first time he took some time off, look at the situation where SAF gave him some time off when his father died.

Obviously the club comes first, but unlike some on here I think he can do some great things under ETH, he still remains one of the best strikers in the world.

Olecurls99

Who knows what the personal reasons are... but I don't believe he is lying. What if it is to do with a close family member? Wouldn't be the first time he took some time off, look at the situation where SAF gave him some time off when his father died.

Obviously the club comes first, but unlike some on here I think he can do some great things under ETH, he still remains one of the best strikers in the world.
And he wants to leave us. So how can he achieve them if he wants to leave?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Not like there's a career and past season to go by. Ronaldo has really devalued himself this summer in my eyes but Martial shouldn't be mentioned in the same category

bosnian_red

Not like there's a career and past season to go by. Ronaldo has really devalued himself this summer in my eyes but Martial shouldn't be mentioned in the same category
Ronaldo is 37 turning 38 this season. feck his past career, what matters is the player that he is now. And that's a player who can't hold the ball up, doesn't make good runs, doesn't have pace or strength anymore, doesn't link up much and is a complete 0 in his defensive work. All that stuff has a huge impact on Ten Hag's style. Not to mention the chemistry with the team, and how Ronaldo thinks he is better than everyone and wants to be elsewhere. He's not committed to the cause, bin him and go without. I'd rather struggle through with Elanga as depth than have Ronaldo sulk all day and make Martial/Rashford/Bruno all worse due to how he plays. Either he's ok with being an impact sub, or he goes.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Ronaldo is 37 turning 38 this season. feck his past career, what matters is the player that he is now. And that's a player who can't hold the ball up, doesn't make good runs, doesn't have pace or strength anymore, doesn't link up much and is a complete 0 in his defensive work. All that stuff has a huge impact on Ten Hag's style. Not to mention the chemistry with the team, and how Ronaldo thinks he is better than everyone and wants to be elsewhere. He's not committed to the cause, bin him and go without. I'd rather struggle through with Elanga as depth than have Ronaldo sulk all day and make Martial/Rashford/Bruno all worse due to how he plays. Either he's ok with being an impact sub, or he goes.
He does make good runs. Anyway, elanga is a different idea. He is young, hungry and shown promise.

Martial is nothing but a low ambition fraud. Ronaldo's lack of ability does not shine martials. He is useless

Pearl.Jam

Egotistical goofball that doesn’t give a shit about the collective as it’s always been about him and him alone..cannot fvcking wait until he fvcks off for good..pleasantly awaiting the CR7 fan club to respond

Olecurls99

He hasn't said himself he wants to leave. I think he probably does want to leave, and I don't blame him, but I hope he doesn't.
I do blame him just like I did in 2009. Let him clear off and let's get on without him.

If he wants to stay he can eat some humble pie first.

bosnian_red

He does make good runs. Anyway, elanga is a different idea. He is young, hungry and shown promise.

Martial is nothing but a low ambition fraud. Ronaldo's lack of ability does not shine martials. He is useless
Ronaldo at this age? He makes some runs but he's not fast anymore so he's really not that useful on the ball. He's a pure penalty box striker at this point who is almost a complete 0 outside the box. Martial, whatever has happened in the past, is showing signs of a return to 19/20 form. He's struggled with a lot of injuries since then, but looks fit now and I have 0 doubt that Rashford, Bruno and Sancho all play better alongside Martial than with Ronaldo. Improving those 3 players does far more for us as a team than Ronaldo being a 20 goal poacher but a black hole for everything else.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I actually think people are underestimating ETH a bit with regard to this Ronaldo situation.

If Ronaldo stays, ETH will work with him (of course), give it a go - but it will be on his terms, not Ronaldo's.

And what's happened after their initial talk has actually played right into ETH's hands, I'd say. If Ronaldo starts throwing tantrums, he won't have the support of anyone but his Instagram followers.

Greck

I actually think people are underestimating ETH a bit with regard to this Ronaldo situation.

If Ronaldo stays, ETH will work with him (of course), give it a go - but it will be on his terms, not Ronaldo's.

And what's happened after their initial talk has actually played right into ETH's hands, I'd say. If Ronaldo starts throwing tantrums, he won't have the support of anyone but his Instagram followers.
His instagram followers make up a sizable chunk of the fanbase. When last did you see fans getting insulted for slagging a player who asked to leave and even went MIA. Like the club is still supposed to be grateful for getting dumped.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
His instagram followers make up a sizable chunk of the fanbase.
I dunno, to be honest.

Or rather - I don't doubt that many of them do identify as United fans (of some kind), but Ronaldo is increasingly becoming a very divisive figure within the fan base. For every Ronaldo fan, there is at least one United fan who is a bit sick of both Ronaldo and his followers.

Also - and more importantly - I think Murtough/Arnold have ETH's back (for now). They will support ETH if he should decide to marginalize Ronaldo for football reasons. If they fail to do that (again, for now) they will a) look ridiculous and b) earn the wrath of those United fans I mentioned above.

Ronaldo doesn't have that much leverage here, as I see it. Either he fecks off (and all but the Instagram gang are pretty happy with that) - or he goes back to work under ETH, in whatever capacity ETH has in mind for him.

(This is obviously my personal - and rather optimistic - take on it all, but I don't think it's wildly unrealistic.)

SER19

So is he going to do a pre season or just show up in August and expect to start then sulk if he doesn't?

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm not confident at all of him seamlessly integrating into the team and us playing well.

I'm 1000% confident we'd get top 4 without him this season and score more goals/secure more points.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Will score a lot more goals in ETH's system.
I'm sure he will.

Unfortunately the point is for the team to score more goals. And as we saw last season, that isn't at all the same thing.

MUFC OK

I'm sure he will.

Unfortunately the point is for the team to score more goals. And as we saw last season, that isn't at all the same thing.
I'm not sure that follows, the majority of our team underperformed, Ronaldo didnt. Besides, ETH says he's a huge part of his plans and I'm all for backing the manager.

Just as I am with ETH on players I dont think should be playing like Maguire.

redcucumber

I'm not sure that follows, the majority of our team underperformed, Ronaldo didnt. Besides, ETH says he's a huge part of his plans and I'm all for backing the manager.

Just as I am with ETH on players I dont think should be playing like Maguire.
He definitely underperformed. He was better than the majority of his teammates but he also wasn't good enough. He was getting paid £500k a week! We didn't see a £500k a week player, in my opinion.

Sylar

The career bit of your post is ridiculous because what Ronaldo did in 08 and 09 has no bearing in 2022.
Past season maybe can be argued but we have a new manager now

Ronaldo has had no preseason yet, no training or link up with the rest whereas martial has and has scored and assisted.

Career wise martial is no where near Ronaldo sure. For 2022/23 the pre season and training is what the manager will surely base on

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Where are these elite managers then? He's been turned down by quite a few top clubs now.
You take away the fact that he used to play for us, I bet most fans here would not touch the 37y.o him with a barge pole.
His cost and demands are more prohibitive to him getting a move (or at least the move he wants) than his actual age or even playstyle, I would think.

He's a reduced to a literal handful of clubs with the wage he picks up and every one of them will already be stacked, so he's snookered and priced himself out the market.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
His cost and demands are more prohibitive to him getting a move (or at least the move he wants) than his actual age or even playstyle, I would think.

He's a reduced to a literal handful of clubs with the wage he picks up and every one of them will already be stacked, so he's snookered and priced himself out the market.
Unless he takes a pay cut.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

You'd hope so. I'd worry that our board and leadership would apply some pressure to avoid the negative fallout of an unhappy Ronaldo.

For me he should be a rotational forward if he's going to stay. We cant be fielding a 37 year old CF every week when the manager believes in 'pressing all day'. How are we supposed to build a playing style that will be brilliant in a couple of years time with the handbrake on? Personally I'd rather we find a buyer and get in a replacement either this or next summer. The system comes first.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Unless he takes a pay cut.
But that's where he's at a real crossroads for one so narcissistic; he's definitely not a £500k player anymore - as that should be ballon d'or contesting standard - but in his head, he's still Ronaldo and has still got 'it', which he may or may not.

He's not worth that gamble to anyone anymore on literal or figurative terms as you'd be paying a fortune to find out, but him taking the kind of wage cut to make him worth the risk is simply out of the question, as he'd have to admit to himself he's now a what, £100k-£200k player in terms of clubs taking a punt, and that's just not going to sit well with him in any realistic sphere.

I think you're talking years down the line -- or never -- before he'd accept that

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
But that's where he's at a real crossroads for one so narcissistic; he's definitely not a £500k player anymore - as that should be ballon d'or contesting standard - but in his head, he's still Ronaldo and has still got 'it', which he may or may not.

He's not worth that gamble to anyone anymore on literal or figurative terms as you'd be paying a fortune to find out, but him taking the kind of wage cut to make him worth the risk is simply out of the question, as he'd have to admit to himself he's now a what, £100k-£200k player in terms of clubs taking a punt, and that's just not going to sit well with him in any realistic sphere.

I think you're talking years down the line -- or never -- before he'd accept that
Basically he's facing his pre-mature mid-life crisis.

Plus you don't hear Messi taking a paycut

Status
Not open for further replies.