Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Well according to the Telegraph he'll be allowed to leave in Jan.

That would be incredible.
Unless we're getting a competent striker, him leaving is weakening us. He's still useful as late sub.

Greck

Unless we're getting a competent striker, him leaving is weakening us. He's still useful as late sub.
Sky will straight up stop broadcasting our matches to show 90 minutes of Ronaldo shaking his head on the bench.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Sky will straight up stop broadcasting our matches to show 90 minutes of Ronaldo shaking his head on the bench.
I hope you put the team chances of winning above what Sky decide to show for a few seconds.

Luka Mora

I dont feel threatened by Haaland, he's a great player but I wont salivate over a City player on United forum. Nor did I say he has no right to be in the same conversation with Ronaldo. If I said that please quote me.

You wont put the blockers on your web browser but you're going to complete opposite stance, glorify him at every opportunity it seems all the while taking a pop on one of United's greats. It must be tricky for you now, your favorite players plays for a rival club.

So he thrived and managed all those goals cause he always had servants and donkeys to do the hard work for him?
Also another point you're freshly bringing up.
The joy of seeing teammates score... Do we need to take this into equation too? Whats the next thing, how long are their socks pulled when scoring?
There is no need for me to glorify Haaland, as Haaland glorifies himself on and off the pitch.

All I'm saying is both in prime and post prime years of Ronaldo, his elevation always at every club came at the cost of other players becoming subservient and having to suppress their own talents in order to serve and glorify Ronaldo, as usually if they dared tried to upstate him, he would would erupt in a rage.

Real Name

There is no need for me to glorify Haaland, as Haaland glorifies himself on and off the pitch.

All I'm saying is both in prime and post prime years of Ronaldo, his elevation always at every club came at the cost of other players becoming subservient and having to suppress their own talents in order to serve and glorify Ronaldo, as usually if they dared tried to upstate him, he would would erupt in a rage.
Your posts sound like a script for a drama.

Lets call it "My dear Haaland".

A story about a wonderful boy from Norway and a slave owner from Portugal.
One was a happy boy who loved to play football and was fantastic at it, was always happy for his teammates and glorified himself on the pitch.
The other was getting glory just by having donkeys and servants around him, who needed to supress their own talent to serve their master. Nobody wanted to question his actions or their role cause he would erupt in rage.

Last edited:

the_cliff

That's similar to Haaland though. People are forgetting this City team walked the league last season without a striker.

The effect of Haaland scoring more goals means the other players and attackers on the team will end up scoring less. Manchester City scored 99 goals last season without Haaland if you think they'll score 99 + however much Haaland scores you need help.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The effect of Haaland scoring more goals means the other players and attackers on the team will end up scoring less.
It's early days, but that hasn't happened so far. They score more as a team than they did last season, and if they keep scoring at the same rate, they'll hit record numbers.

The team will hit record numbers, I mean, not just Haaland personally.

MrEleson

Not moving the goalposts, you brought up the he use to be a winger, as if his role was just to hug the touchline and whip in crosses when he was more or less playing similar to the role mane and salah played at Liverpool.
Erm his role till at the very least late 2007 was exactly this? False Wingers like Mane and Salah have only been a thing in the last 10 or so years and coincidentally started with Ronaldo in his late United/early Madrid years.

HookedOnAPhelan

He’s not gonna bang you mate

Luka Mora

Erm his role till at the very least late 2007 was exactly this? False Wingers like Mane and Salah have only been a thing in the last 10 or so years and coincidentally started with Ronaldo in his late United/early Madrid years.
Yes when he first joined he was a traditional winger, but when he he had his best season in 2008 he was given a more free roaming role across the front 3 and was more a false winger, just there wasn't a definitive term for it at that time.

Luka Mora

He’s not gonna bang you mate
Don't project your own homoerotic fantasies on me. Praising a player doesn't mean you want to sleep with them. I know you ronaldo stans are obsessed with praising his physique and abs, but I'm more focused on all around effectiveness and ability on the pitch.

Anderson_7_

The Athletic basically confirming what The Sun reported back in March.

Ronaldo was left out of that derby by Ralf Rangnick, at which point he boarded a plane to Portugal amid claims he was recovering from an injury. On that occasion, City knew he wouldn't play because their cabal of Portuguese players - Dias, Cancelo, Bernardo Silva - knew just how much of a reaction Rangnick's decision provoked behind the scenes.
https://theathletic.com/3651798/2022/10/03/manchester-city-derby-win/?source=user-shared-article

KeanoMagicHat

I love our former players (especially Rio) but those who work as pundits are so poisonous on that job. Carra is 100% right in this. Rio behaves as complete fanboy
Rio is the worst ex-United pundit out there. People talk about "agenda driven", a lot of the time he is the one who actually is just pushing what he wants in a cynical way.

He's given us "Ole at the wheel" - and pushed the "sign him up" on Ole, putting pressure on the board to give him a contract when they 100% should have waited until the end of the season (there was no competition for his signature). He pushed Ronaldo back to United and has been a Ronaldo mouthpiece since even though the club has suffered since his arrival. Then even at England at the last Euros, saying nobody could beat England arrogantly.

On this specifically, talking about Ronaldo and his ability to score goals. Another of the hardest things in football is to stop someone dribbling past you. I remember a time when Rio was as good as anyone at avoiding that happening from 2006-2009. I also remember Ferdinand's defending in 2013/14 and how he wasn't the same player. I don't know how these pundits keep failing to recognise that Ronaldo isn't the same player as 5 years ago anymore.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
If I were Ronaldo, I'd reach out to Pele to figure out how Pele transformed himself before the 1970 WC where he won the Golden Ball. Prior to the WC, all but the Brazilian military government (who needed him for propaganda purposes) were calling for Pele to be dropped - slow, injured, old, selfish - then the military government gave the reluctant manager and selectors a call - the rest is history.
Or Zidane. Many considered him finished before the WC 2006. Little they knew.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
That's a weird quote and kind of nonsensical.
It absolutely makes sense.

What's the point of bringing him on the pitch? It's not like he was going to see much of the ball, let alone score 4 goals The game was only lost but it was pasting that could've ended up much, much worse. He didn't want him to be a part of a disaster in which he had no hand in. Martial needed minutes no matter what, and is Ten Hag's preferred choice upfront for the season. Him scoring 2 proved that ETH's decision was the right one.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
You’re right.

However, I’m more intruiged by Keane saying Ronaldo had 4 or 5 good options to leave as a matter of fact.
What were they? It's amazing that this spin still got traction. No one, absolutely no one wanted him. He'd be gone if it was the case. MU never blocked any move because well, there was none to block.

Keane is poison, just like Rio or Neville when it comes to talk about ex-teammates. They just can't be objective about them.

Greck

Rio is the worst ex-United pundit out there. People talk about "agenda driven", a lot of the time he is the one who actually is just pushing what he wants in a cynical way.

He's given us "Ole at the wheel" - and pushed the "sign him up" on Ole, putting pressure on the board to give him a contract when they 100% should have waited until the end of the season (there was no competition for his signature). He pushed Ronaldo back to United and has been a Ronaldo mouthpiece since even though the club has suffered since his arrival. Then even at England at the last Euros, saying nobody could beat England arrogantly.
Here's your daily reminder he was Woodward's other finalist for the technical director role. Management playing fans like a fiddle as they insulated their rickety structure with beloved faces. The Rio lovefest would have been sick.

crossy1686

career ending

On this specifically, talking about Ronaldo and his ability to score goals. Another of the hardest things in football is to stop someone dribbling past you. I remember a time when Rio was as good as anyone at avoiding that happening from 2006-2009. I also remember Ferdinand's defending in 2013/14 and how he wasn't the same player. I don't know how these pundits keep failing to recognise that Ronaldo isn't the same player as 5 years ago anymore.
Rio’s takes might be bad sometimes, or most of the time but you’ve got to remember that he’s isn’t the brightest, he’s a United fan first and foremost and Ronaldo amongst others are his mates so he isn’t going to anything but back them. Let’s not forget he was the first person to know that Ronaldo was coming to United and not City on that deadline day.

I can excuse his daft takes because his opinion has zero weight outside of his own channel and it’s like your mate talking shit in the pub, it is what it is.

Marwood

What were they? It's amazing that this spin still got traction. No one, absolutely no one wanted him. He'd be gone if it was the case. MU never blocked any move because well, there was none to block.

Keane is poison, just like Rio or Neville when it comes to talk about ex-teammates. They just can't be objective about them.
How can you be so sure about this?

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
How can you be so sure about this?
He'd be fecking gone if it was the case.

Between being a part-time player in a team playing in EL with no chance of winning a league title and having a last shot at the CL, it's a no brainer. He never was a one club player and always thirsted for more trophies and accolades, no matter where they were to get. It's never been enough for him and will never be.

He didn't show up the whole summer, Mendes basically offered him to any big CL club (and none of them bit took the bait), and he then proceeded to come for his first training with his agent. He could've instantly killed the rumors about him leaving MU with a simple tweet (just like he did with the Sporting bit), yet chose not to. The only speculation imo was about whether he wanted to leave because of the lack of CL or Ten Hag telling him that he wasn't going to be a regular part of the starting XI this season. Or both.

Now some people might not want to see it for what it is, because of nostalgia, loyalty to a player who played a big part in winning titles with their club, etc, but Ronaldo only ever thought about Ronaldo. Anything else is irrelevant. It's not a bad thing in itself though and it certainly brought him to heights any professional footballer could only dream to achieve.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Look at his time at Juve and last season with us. Ronaldo sucked all the goals out of the team no one else was scoring besides him, as he plays for himself. Dybala scoring rate dropped at Juve,
Dybala was not a consistent goal scorer before or after Ronaldo. Common consensus that Ronaldo delayed the inevitable by 2 years. Look at Juve now and last season.
bruno and rashford's scoring rate dropped last season when ronaldo was central figure.
So then why are Bruno and Rashford not scoring or assisting a ton of goals this season? Ronaldo has only started 1 game out of 8. Neither of the mentioned players are in the top-10 assists or goals scored.
Benzema's scoring rate dropped at Real.
Benzema was happy doing the role he played and Ronaldo assisted him plenty. Between catering to Benzema or Ronaldo, everyone would pick Ronaldo (like Messi was picked over Villa and Ibrahim). In 3 years at Juve, an older Ronaldo scored more goals than Benzema while playing for a worse team.

Marwood

He'd be fecking gone if it was the case.

Between being a part-time player in a team playing in EL with no chance of winning a league title and having a last shot at the CL, it's a no brainer. He never was a one club player and always thirsted for more trophies and accolades, no matter where they were to get. It's never been enough for him and will never be.

He didn't show up the whole summer, Mendes basically offered him to any big CL club (and none of them bit took the bait), and he then proceeded to come for his first training with his agent. He could've instantly killed the rumors about him leaving MU with a simple tweet (just like he did with the Sporting bit), yet chose not to. The only speculation imo was about whether he wanted to leave because of the lack of CL or Ten Hag telling him that he wasn't going to be a regular part of the starting XI this season. Or both.

Now some people might not want to see it for what it is, because of nostalgia, loyalty to a player who played a big part in winning titles with their club, etc, but Ronaldo only ever thought about Ronaldo. Anything else is irrelevant. It's not a bad thing in itself though and it certainly brought him to heights any professional footballer could only dream to achieve.
Asid from you, me or anybody else not knowing enough about transfer dealings to speak with such authority on the matter we do seem to have a habit of stopping players from leaving when they have offers. Players have spoken publically about this. So I don't know why that scenario would be impossible for Ronaldo.

Idxomer

It absolutely makes sense.

What's the point of bringing him on the pitch? It's not like he was going to see much of the ball, let alone score 4 goals The game was only lost but it was pasting that could've ended up much, much worse. He didn't want him to be a part of a disaster in which he had no hand in. Martial needed minutes no matter what, and is Ten Hag's preferred choice upfront for the season. Him scoring 2 proved that ETH's decision was the right one.
You're right, it's just the way he worded it felt weird to me.

The tiptoeing around why he doesn't play Ronaldo and the unnecessary questions at every press conference have been exhausting for months.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Asid from you, me or anybody else not knowing enough about transfer dealings to speak with such authority on the matter we do seem to have a habit of stopping players from leaving when they have offers. Players have spoken publically about this. So I don't know why that scenario would be impossible for Ronaldo.
Yes, you certainly have the ability of stopping a player move, especially if it was something like a loan with you paying the obscene wages he's on. Now the question is where was he going to and MU said no? Which club with ambitions matching his and enough money in the bank wanted him, and did bring an actual offer on the table? All of those he was rightly or wrongly linked with publicly said feck no, not interested. Some of them many times. The only real offer was from Al Hillel club where Ronaldo was certainly not going. Napoli's was a piss take.

You're also right when saying unless you're directly taking part in the transfer deals, no one would know with certainty what really happened. What I do know, though is if Ronaldo was still even half the player some people here think he is, the offers would've come, real ones, and he'd be gone. You're seeing right now what his actual level is. You can cling onto the latest excuse in date that it's because he missed the pre-season, which was entirely his own doing, but I wonder how much longer it will hold. He's not immortal and age is not something you can win against.

He shouldn't have come back to United or the PL, it burned him out and shortened his days at the top level. Now chances are big that it will screw up his last WC.

Last edited:

Marwood

Yes, you certainly have the ability of stopping a player move, especially if it was something like a loan with you paying the obscene wages he's on. Now the question is where was he going to and MU said no? Which club with ambitions matching his and enough money in the bank wanted him, and did bring an actual offer on the table? All of those he was rightly or wrongly linked with publicly said feck no, not interested. Some of them many times. The only real offer was from Al Hillel club where Ronaldo was certainly not going. Napoli's was a piss take.

You're also right when saying unless you're directly taking part in the transfer deals, no one would know with certainty what really happened. What I do know, though is if Ronaldo was still even half of the player some people here think he is, the offers would've come, real ones, and he'd be gone. You're seeing right now what his actual level is. You can cling onto the latest excuse in date that it's because he missed the pre-season, which was entirely his own doing, but I wonder how much longer it will hold. He's not immortal and age is not something you can win against.

He shouldn't have come back to United or the PL, it burned him out and shortened his days at the top level. Now chances are big that it will screw up his last WC.
I'm not debating his time is up but as United fan I loved him coming back last season and his goals were a rare highlight in a terrible season.

I'm talking about his transfer options. Fans talk about these things like they really know what's going on. None of us have a clue.

United couldn't or wouldn't sell anyone this summer(except Pereira). Nobody really knows why this.

This notion of saying he's got knowhere to go is just sticking the boot in.

Greck

So then why are Bruno and Rashford not scoring or assisting a ton of goals this season? Ronaldo has only started 1 game out of 8. Neither of the mentioned players are in the top-10 assists or goals scored.
Aren't they? I'm not sure the grander picture of this conversation but we've played 7 league games right? So wouldn't that balance at 3 goals and 2 assists for Rashford in the 6 games CR hasn't started? Then when you consider 3 of those 6 games were against top 6 teams it's actually pretty safe to say he's producing more without CR starting. I haven't looked it up or done any digging, it's all memory but even if the figures aren't entirely accurate I'm certain they still dwarf whatever his tally is in games CR starts. Rashford would even have 4 if CR didn't blatantly sabotage a counter in one of those games.

Irwin99

:lol:

Looks happy.
He's a happy boy really and he's going to go on a big scoring run in the next ten games or so and reach 150 goals for United. Still has a huge part to play in our season.

might not happen at all, please don't quote me

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Dybala was not a consistent goal scorer before or after Ronaldo. Common consensus that Ronaldo delayed the inevitable by 2 years. Look at Juve now and last season.

Benzema was happy doing the role he played and Ronaldo assisted him plenty. Between catering to Benzema or Ronaldo, everyone would pick Ronaldo (like Messi was picked over Villa and Ibrahim). In 3 years at Juve, an older Ronaldo scored more goals than Benzema while playing for a worse team.
But they are producing though. Rashford just won POTM off his goals and assists.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
You're right, it's just the way he worded it felt weird to me.

The tiptoeing around why he doesn't play Ronaldo and the unnecessary questions at every press conference have been exhausting for months.
It was always bound to happen. I don't think he ever fancied him anyway, for obvious reasons (his age and the circus that comes along with him), and I guess that he made it clear to him.

I'm impressed with Ten Hag in the sense that he quickly grasped that there's no time anymore for half measures and if MU is to get back to 2022, he has to make drastical choices, no matter how unpopular they may be. Right here, right now. Ronaldo isn't the first ageing star going to the chopping block because well, times change and certainly not the last one.

He gave him all the respect he could during the summer, which was hardly paid back tbh, but hey, he got a team to get going and bring it back to the top. I expect more of the club darlings to get the boot next summer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's a happy boy really and he's going to go on a big scoring run in the next ten games or so and reach 150 goals for United. Still has a huge part to play in our season.

might not happen at all, please don't quote me. Love me.
The messing around in the summer and missing out on the pre-season certainly didn't help.
It's to be seen if it's set in stone that Rashy/Martial will be the striker plan or if it's just because Ronaldo wasn't fit.

We saw the outbursts on here about Rashy not affecting Sunday's game. I dare say we'll see similar with Martial soon. Fans are hilariously fickle.

Greck

The messing around in the summer and missing out on the pre-season certainly didn't help.
It's to be seen if it's set in stone that Rashy/Martial will be the striker plan or if it's just because Ronaldo wasn't fit.

We saw the outbursts on here about Rashy not affecting Sunday's game. I dare say we'll see similar with Martial soon. Fans are hilariously fickle.
There's saying Rashy didn't/doesn't affect the game and then there's saying Ronaldo should play ahead of him. He has more impact on our counterattacking than the very declined Ronaldo. We're trying to move on because we don't want to be a one trick team but one should not equate the criticism for Rash as endorsement for the even more limited Ronaldo. Ronaldo started the last 2 games and looked worse.

We can at least win games Rashford is off because we don't cap our play routing our entire play through him. In fact I think Sheriff was the first time this season in three tries that the team scored in a game Ronaldo started. If he doesn't bring his shooting boots we might as well forfeit. Also how it can look like he's carrying the team.

Last edited:

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
But they are producing though. Rashford just won POTM off his goals and assists.
Even most United fans can't believe that he won it.
Pleased for him, but what a ridiculous decision.
he only played well for like a minute in that month, i know that he scored 2 goals from the counter and had an assist but apart from that his general play was terrible, but i hope he get confidence boost right now and can play a little bit better than the last few seasons. Still for me he is nowhere near the first eleven and should be a good player to come on for tired defenders, but if we do not have any space against lesser teams there is absolutely no use for him.
I see what you're trying to do. But are you telling me you think he was the player in it league in September? He wasn't even the best player at United in September.
Well done Marcus!
I thought Toney would have got it.
Yeah genuinely weird, apparently if you can put 2 past Lego Pep's Invincibles it makes you a footballing god.

So far he's playing much, much better than last season but I genuinely couldn't believe it when I saw the news. Particularly since we only played 2 games in September and one of them was a shite game vs. Leicester.

Would be surprised if many agree with this over some of the more obvious choices eg. Haaland.
There are five players from United alone who were better (Eriksen, Martinez, Varane, Bruno, McTominay).

Happy that Marcus has won though, and I actually thought it showed that he's been working very hard on his centre forward play and was bringing others into play in ways he hasn't really shown before (with some mixed success) - it's brilliant for us if he can continue to develop along those lines and not look like a fish out of water when doing a job centrally.

He just wasn't United's best player this month, let alone the league's.
Here are some recent posts about the mighty Rashford from the last week.
He has definitely played better in a few games this season, but it seems like unless we're playing counter attacking football he isn't really effective.

I would still look to sell if an offer came in for him.
He fights with Sancho for LW spot now. I don't think there's much between them at the moment.
He'll never be good enough, same as Sancho unfortunately.
He is a disgrace in terms of effort and application
He lacks effort and intensity.

There was one instance when Ederson miskicked the ball vertically upward and Rashford didn't even bother to try to win the header against Ake/Akanji inside City's box. he just stood there and let Ake/Akanji head the ball without pressure.

It is a shame particularly when he is a boyhood man utd fan so he are supposed to show some passion in games?
But yes - its Ronaldo who stops Rashford. Simple question: How many fans would renew his contract at this stage - especially when you claim that Rashford has been performing? Can we do a poll?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

might not happen at all, please don't quote me
I think this season is just too much for him. Firstly he was never going to fit within an ETH philosophy. Thats is evidently clear. Secondly having missed pre-season training was always going to affect any player as we have seen in the past -- and even more so with someone who will be 38 in four months time. Pre-seasons are more critical the older the player is. It may have been a strategic mistake on his part of going missing when trying to force that move. It backfired on him.

He just needs to go to a lower league someone like Saudi and he will be scoring for fun again. His days of wanting to be the main striker in any top five leagues are don't. Even if he gets a pre-season next year, he will be well into his 38s.

There was a very narrow window of opportunity to have to leave a club for another in the top leagues, and it would have been last summer. But the next summer, the window be almost shut if not gone.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Even most United fans can't believe that he won it.

Here are some recent posts about the mighty Rashford from the last week.

But yes - its Ronaldo who stops Rashford. Simple question: How many fans would renew his contract at this stage - especially when you claim that Rashford has been performing? Can we do a poll?
A few quotes = most :lol:
Show us a survey with a good population size and we will know if its “most”

Status
Not open for further replies.