Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Do you really think Cristiano Ronaldo isn't good enough to take that ball, turn and attack ? He's obviously taking the p*ss, trying to be petty and act unbothered.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Do you really think Cristiano Ronaldo isn't good enough to take that ball, turn and attack ? He's obviously taking the p*ss, trying to be petty and act unbothered.
Eh partly, but partly he just can’t do it anyway. Age has caught him up, he has the turning circle of a tank now.

Strelok

Do you really think Cristiano Ronaldo isn't good enough to take that ball, turn and attack ?
Yes. I can't recall he was doing that much last season. He usually passes the ball straight back to whoever just passes it to him.

Trequarista10

Tbf I'd blame Garner more in that clip. He has an easy pass to VdB in space or could look to switch the ball. Facing goal it's Garners responsibility to do that rather than Ronaldo to needlessly attempt a riskier flick/backheel/turn and pass to achieve the same. Not sure you can blame Ronaldo for a young player seemingly having a brain meltdown and just brainlessly having a "see Ronaldo, give ball to Ronaldo" moment. Put it down to nerves or whatever for Garner, not likely to happen going forwards, and it's up for ETH to drill that shit out of any player who does continue to do so.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He did it regularly last season, and was the only one to do it. It very much suggested that he didn’t want to turn and attack. Whether that’s because he was disinterested, lacking the confidence to turn or he was tired is anyone’s guess, but it’s not something I ever remember him doing at his peak.

You’ll notice that he really isn’t very good with his back to goal any more, he’s often really weak when challenged, so he doesn’t like to hold onto it for very long in those positions. He never really liked playing with his back to goal but he never struggled with the physical side of it, he just preferred running at the goal.

Now he really struggles with the physical side of it, so a lot of the times he just takes the easy option and passes it back directly where it came from. Sometimes to the same person repeatedly. It always looks really weird and kills momentum. Even in games he’s visibly desperate to win, even just for his own ego. The idea that it’s something related to this summer’s shenanigans is obviously silly.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
As others have said Ronaldo doesn’t tend to take the ball on the half turn. His first instinct when he gets the ball with his back to goal is to get rid of it as quickly as possible. His entire game is around finding space and avoiding any sort of physical contest except aerially.

clarkydaz

Tbf I'd blame Garner more in that clip. He has an easy pass to VdB in space or could look to switch the ball. Facing goal it's Garners responsibility to do that rather than Ronaldo to needlessly attempt a riskier flick/backheel/turn and pass to achieve the same. Not sure you can blame Ronaldo for a young player seemingly having a brain meltdown and just brainlessly having a "see Ronaldo, give ball to Ronaldo" moment. Put it down to nerves or whatever for Garner, not likely to happen going forwards, and it's up for ETH to drill that shit out of any player who does continue to do so.
Ronaldo tells him to switch it at first, he points to the other side. Yet Garner just keeps passing it to him

OverratedOpinion

Garner played the ball to our striker who was in a mile of space. A forward pass rather than a sideways pass. Why do we need to get the ball to Van De Beek when Ronaldo is there with just as much space and time?

I am not saying Ronaldo should turn around and dribble past 6 players but the way he treats the ball like a hot potato is such a negative for us when he plays.

This isn't something I have picked up on based on that instance in that one game. It was a hugely common occurrence last season and it kills any hope of an attack and invites pressure.

OverratedOpinion

Was he taking the piss when he did that constantly last season?

If so are you saying that makes it any better?

Chairman Steve

I’m sure there’s a reason it hasnt happened but what’s stopping him from just cancelling his own contract and foregoing wages? The guy is a billionaire at this point. I don’t think money is even a factor to him and I’m sure we’d see it as a favour that he would forego wages anyway.

Is Jorge Mendes trying to get us a good deal or something? I know he’s got a rep for being probably one of the small handful of agents that SAF ever liked.

OverratedOpinion

I’m sure there’s a reason it hasnt happened but what’s stopping him from just cancelling his own contract and foregoing wages?
He can't unless both parties agree and as much as some of us might want that it seems the club definitely don't and have no concern about paying his wages.

clarkydaz

I’m sure there’s a reason it hasnt happened but what’s stopping him from just cancelling his own contract and foregoing wages? The guy is a billionaire at this point. I don’t think money is even a factor to him and I’m sure we’d see it as a favour that he would forego wages anyway.

Is Jorge Mendes trying to get us a good deal or something? I know he’s got a rep for being probably one of the small handful of agents that SAF ever liked.
more likely Mendes expects United to take a massive hit letting him go. Sporting will take a cut price Ronaldo easily, nobody is paying a fee and our wages for him

Trequarista10

Garner played the ball to our striker who was in a mile of space. A forward pass rather than a sideways pass. Why do we need to get the ball to Van De Beek when Ronaldo is there with just as much space and time?

I am not saying Ronaldo should turn around and dribble past 6 players but the way he treats the ball like a hot potato is such a negative for us when he plays.

This isn't something I have picked up on based on that instance in that one game. It was a hugely common occurrence last season and it kills any hope of an attack and invites pressure.
Ronaldo has his back to goal, opposition players behind him (and can't know how close they are). Van de Beek has acres of space in front of him. Especially by like the 2nd or 3rd pass, Ronaldo can't really do much. The best he could do is a riskier pass to VDB, the logical thing is to pass to Garner who should make the same, but risk free pass to VdB. Sight and direction facing matters far more than whether you're technically a few yards further forwards. Not saying Ronaldo is blameless, he probably could have passed to Garner and turned his back/made his way forwards to discourage Garner from passing back to him. But its a 37 year old in their first warm up game of the season so meh. It's clearly more on Garner. He can see the whole pitch in front of him, can see the options available. You can tell he wasn't thinking "forward pass" he was thinking "I see Ronaldo, give ball to Ronaldo cos Ronaldo". And I like Garner so not being critical of him so much as just highlighting there wasn't much Ronaldo could do in that situation.

I think Ronaldo's build up play generally is decent, not exceptional. But then his primary attribute these days is getting goals, even some top CFs have pretty basic build up play. Ideally we'll get a top class CF in the next year or two who excels in that area and can guarantee 20-30 goals who we can build the attack around but they're rare.

Last edited:

OverratedOpinion

Ronaldo has his back to goal, opposition players behind him (and can't know how close they are). Van de Beek has acres of space in front of him. Especially by like the 2nd or 3rd pass, Ronaldo can't really do much. The best he could do is a riskier pass to VDB, the logical thing is to pass to Garner who should make the same, but risk free pass to VdB. Sight and direction facing matters far more than whether you're technically a few yards further forwards. Not saying Ronaldo is blameless, he probably could have passed to Garner and turned his back/made his way forwards to discourage Garner from passing back to him. But its a 37 year old in their first warm up game of the season so meh. It's clearly more on Garner. He can see the whole pitch in front of him, can see the options available. You can tell he wasn't thinking "forward pass" he was thinking "I see Ronaldo, give ball to Ronaldo cos Ronaldo". And I like Garner so not being critical of him so much as just highlighting there wasn't much Ronaldo could do in that situation.

I think Ronaldo's build up play generally is decent, not exceptional. But then his primary attribute these days is getting goals, even some top CFs have pretty basic build up play. Ideally we'll get a top class CF in the next year or two who excels in that area and can guarantee 20-30 goals who we can build the attack around but they're rare.
Ronaldo is literally in just as much space as VDB. He "can't know how close they are"? He could look.

You are making an incredible amount of excuses for him and blaming Garner for playing a forward pass to his striker who is in loads of space.

Ronaldo is very weak on the ball and slows down the tempo of the team.

romufc

Weird. Goldbridge said he had his permission.

Goldbridge knows feck all. He has his head stuck in Ronaldo and cannot see anything other than him.

Imagine undermining the manager for a player who doesnt want to be here.

Yet fans like him scream back the manager.

Trequarista10

Ronaldo is literally in just as much space as VDB. He "can't know how close they are"? He could look.

You are making an incredible amount of excuses for him and blaming Garner for playing a forward pass to his striker who is in loads of space.

Ronaldo is very weak on the ball and slows down the tempo of the team.
It's about body shape and the direction facing. Much easier receiving the ball with space in front rather than behind, nobody has eyes in the back of their head.

OverratedOpinion

It's about body shape and the direction facing. Much easier receiving the ball with space in front rather than behind, nobody has eyes in the back of their head.
Well he had space in every direction. Again no one is asking him to have eyes in the back of his head, looking if anyone is behind you is fairly common when receiving a pass.

Trequarista10

Well he had space in every direction. Again no one is asking him to have eyes in the back of his head, looking if anyone is behind you is fairly common when receiving a pass.
But it's more common to pass backwards so the player facing forwards can make the better decision. There's increased risk and limited gain doing anything else that far from goal. If its near goal, you'd expect the forward to consider either a quick flicked pass, or turn with intention to commit a defender and create a space for a through ball or strike. It's simply not Ronaldo's responsibility to do anything more in that situation, it's Garner's. I don't see how it can be seen otherwise.

OverratedOpinion

But it's more common to pass backwards so the player facing forwards can make the better decision. There's increased risk and limited gain doing anything else that far from goal. If its near goal, you'd expect the forward to consider either a quick flicked pass, or turn with intention to commit a defender and create a space for a through ball or strike. It's simply not Ronaldo's responsibility to do anything more in that situation, it's Garner's. I don't see how it can be seen otherwise.
Well I have seen the clip online and you seem to be unable to see something that the vast majority of people seem to. Not sure what to tell you.

Tbf you recently said Ronaldo would be our top scorer still if he only played 30 minutes per match so I think we just have very different views about the level of player he is currently.

clarkydaz

Well I have seen the clip online and you seem to be unable to see something that the vast majority of people seem to. Not sure what to tell you.

Tbf you recently said Ronaldo would be our top scorer still if he only played 30 minutes per match so I think we just have very different views about the level of player he is currently.
Do you see Ronaldo telling Garner to switch the play after his first passpack?

Trequarista10

Oh dear, resorting to snarcy personal jibes eh. I was being nothing but civil and detailing my opinion, and was happy to either exhange opinions, or to just agree to disagree as you don't seem to have anything of value to add. But no, you needed some kind of snarcy personal parting shot instead of either of the two reasonable options, so OK..

1. You're incredibly uneducated on football if you think in such incredibly basic terms that "BUT ITS A FORWARD PASS THEREFORE ITS A GOOD ONE", without considering the multitudes of contextual factors. I'm sorry my explanation was lost on you.

2. Who would score more than him? Ronaldo scored 24 goals last season, the next closest was Bruno with 10 (42% of 24), next Greenwood 6, next closest Sancho and Rashford with 5 (21% of 24). If Ronaldo played 30 minutes every game, say 50 games a season, so 1500 minutes, and our other potential top scorers averaged say 75 minutes a match for 50 games 3750 minutes, that'd mean Ronaldo would be playing 40% the minutes of them...yes, given his goal record, and comparable lack of goal threat from the rest of the squad, I think he'd evidently be in the running for top scorer. Add into that equation, the entire main premise of that post, which was that Ronaldo can't run for 90 minutes twice a week, and would be more useful used in shorter spurts, which would then increase his productivity. It was also a theoretical, somewhat lighthearted observation, rather than a deadly serious prediction. I know tone is sometimes not apparent on the internet, but seriously!!

3. Who the hell is sad enough to even remember which posters have said what, or even sad enough to look through someone's post history to find something to criticise, in response to a previously civil disagreement about one largely trivial event? Honestly, I couldn't care less who anyone on here is, 70% of posts on here are idiotic anyway, I'd have to waste a lot of mental energy remembering who had posted something I disagree with that one time.

4. The vast majority don't disagree with me. It's fairly evenly split, depending on which thread you're in. Matchday thread was critical of both fairly evenly, Garner thread critical of Garner, Ronaldo thread critical of Ronaldo. Its almost as if the majority of people just go to performance threads to moan about players they don't like. Someone has to correct the pitchfork brigade when they're being unreasonable, otherwise the cesspool just breeds toxicity. Sorry for interrupting your circle jerk of negativity.

OverratedOpinion

Oh dear, resorting to snarcy personal jibes eh. I was being nothing but civil and detailing my opinion, and was happy to either exhange opinions, or to just agree to disagree as you don't seem to have anything of value to add. But no, you needed some kind of snarcy personal parting shot instead of either of the two reasonable options, so OK..

1. You're incredibly uneducated on football if you think in such incredibly basic terms that "BUT ITS A FORWARD PASS THEREFORE ITS A GOOD ONE", without considering the multitudes of contextual factors. I'm sorry my explanation was lost on you.

2. Who would score more than him? Ronaldo scored 24 goals last season, the next closest was Bruno with 10 (42% of 24), next Greenwood 6, next closest Sancho and Rashford with 5 (21% of 24). If Ronaldo played 30 minutes every game, say 50 games a season, so 1500 minutes, and our other potential top scorers averaged say 75 minutes a match for 50 games 3750 minutes, that'd mean Ronaldo would be playing 40% the minutes of them...yes, given his goal record, and comparable lack of goal threat from the rest of the squad, I think he'd evidently be in the running for top scorer. Add into that equation, the entire main premise of that post, which was that Ronaldo can't run for 90 minutes twice a week, and would be more useful used in shorter spurts, which would then increase his productivity. It was also a theoretical, somewhat lighthearted observation, rather than a deadly serious prediction. I know tone is sometimes not apparent on the internet, but seriously!!

3. Who the hell is sad enough to even remember which posters have said what, or even sad enough to look through someone's post history to find something to criticise, in response to a previously civil disagreement about one largely trivial event? Honestly, I couldn't care less who anyone on here is, 70% of posts on here are idiotic anyway, I'd have to waste a lot of mental energy remembering who had posted something I disagree with that one time.

4. The vast majority don't disagree with me. It's fairly evenly split, depending on which thread you're in. Matchday thread was critical of both fairly evenly, Garner thread critical of Garner, Ronaldo thread critical of Ronaldo. Its almost as if the majority of people just go to performance threads to moan about players they don't like. Someone has to correct the pitchfork brigade when they're being unreasonable, otherwise the cesspool just breeds toxicity. Sorry for interrupting your circle jerk of negativity.
Oh someone is angry :lol:

There was nothing snarky about my post, just pointing out that we have drastically differing views on the level Ronaldo is at currently.

Ronaldo scored about the same or less as our top scorers for the last 5 seasons whilst playing whenever available.

Anyway enjoy the block list and try not to get so worked up.

ReggaeFan07

It's really sad the fans in the Mains match day thread against Brighton edition have this weird obsession to want to humiliate Ronaldo and refuse to select him in Ten Hags 1st starting eleven. It's nothing to do with fitness when they are selecting Eriksen and Martinez.. if Ronaldo can't get a starting spot in the team when Martial is injured it says everything.. he's not wanted at the club and it's probably best he moves on..

our player of the season last season. Yet let's cut our noses just to make some weird point. Mental how some fans are behaving. It's a shame as I do think under Ten Hag who's a proper coach (who can get the whole team functioning) Ronaldo would score loads of goals as he would get more chances (especially with Eriksen in the team). Which would really help the team as he's still the best striker and finisher at the club. But some fans don't want to give Ronaldo a chance to start under a Ten Hag system unfortunately so we might never know what it's like..

yet they won't humiliate McFred, Maguire or Rashford who have performed much worse for years... Ronaldo was our only bright spark last season that gave fans hope.

sums up our fanbase. Start of the season and can't be positive and support every player.. toxicity already. Ronaldo is the punching bag. Even if he starts on the bench today you'll get some fans blaming him if United don't win because he couldn't do a Superman impression within a 20-30 minute cameo appearance. Yet before the game they said he's too old etc and not good now anyway. Ridiculous impossible standards.

Hopefully Ronaldo if he stays can win the fans back over.. I don't know how as some fans seem unwilling. Unlike Spurs fans last season who didn't turn on Harry Kane despite him doing the exact same thing as Ronaldo has. Or is it because Kane is English?! I mean Pogba, Martial etc have all experienced the British media and Manchester United fan bias towards certain British players bias who get away with the same things but they don't..

Gary Neville and certain English pundits are hypocrites too. They understood why 28 year-old Harry Kane (grew up at Spurs and is Spurs Captain) wanted to leave Spurs last season due to a lack of ambition but not 37-year old Ronaldo wanting to leave to not waste his final few years. That it's a massive sacrifice for Ronaldo not to play Champions League football for the first time in his career.

the exact same thing happended at this club with Rooney. But the fans forgave him and moved on. And the club is in a much worse position and shown even less ambition since then..

Gary Neville and fans on Redcafe are questioning the ambition of the club with the lack of signings and De JONg so it's hypocritical to castigate Ronaldo for wanting to leave for lack of signings. I think it is about a lack of signings and ambition otherwise he wouldn't wanted to leave right at the end of the season.

if Club Legend Ronaldo gets booed or whatever (which would be disgusting for what he's done for the club) I blame the likes of Gary Neville and the British media who have treat Ronaldo disgracefully and whipped up this frenzy everyday when Ronaldo has been training professionally for 2 weeks now and not said anything.. the media have treat Ronaldo differently Unlike Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney who did the exact same thing. Look at Gary Neville's quotes about Harry Kane last summer and compare them to his quotes about Ronaldo this summer. Don't tell me there isn't agendas at play because there is... :rolleyes:

Martial will probably be back next game. I guess fans will put him starting above Ronaldo in the Brentford Matchday Thread despite being rubbish for years and flopped at Sevilla they didn't even want him. But let's keep playing this game for the rest of the season pretending Europa League Manchester United is too good for Ronaldo even if the team is suffering because of it.

Manchester United are in the Europa League. Yet some fans think we can turn our noses up on starting Ronaldo and somehow too good for him.. Yeah ok let's see how long that pride works out if it's hurting the team (which is what these fans are suppose to care about the team winning above all else but they are putting their own feelings about a player above the good of the team winning etc)..

Last edited:

Olecurls99

It's really sad the fans in the Mains match day thread against Brighton edition have this weird obsession to want to humiliate Ronaldo and refuse to select him in Ten Hags 1st starting eleven. It's nothing to do with fitness when they are selecting Eriksen and Martinez.. if Ronaldo can't get a starting spot in the team when Martial is injured it says everything.. he's not wanted at the club and it's probably best he moves on..

our player of the season last season. Yet let's cut our noses just to make some weird point. Mental how some fans are behaving. It's a shame as I do think under Ten Hag who's a proper coach (who can get the whole team functioning) Ronaldo would score loads of goals as he would get more chances (especially with Eriksen in the team). Which would really help the team as he's still the best striker and finisher at the club. But some fans don't want to give Ronaldo a chance to start under a Ten Hag system unfortunately so we might never know what it's like..

yet they won't humiliate McFred, Maguire or Rashford who have performed much worse for years... Ronaldo was our only bright spark last season that gave fans hope.

sums up our fanbase. Start of the season and can't be positive and support every player.. toxicity already. Ronaldo is the punching bag. Even if he starts on the bench today you'll get some fans blaming him if United don't win because he couldn't do a Superman impression within a 20-30 minute cameo appearance. Yet before the game they said he's too old etc and not good now anyway. Ridiculous impossible standards.

Hopefully Ronaldo if he stays can win the fans back over.. I don't know how as some fans seem unwilling. Unlike Spurs fans last season who didn't turn on Harry Kane despite him doing the exact same thing as Ronaldo has. Or is it because Kane is English?! I mean Pogba, Martial etc have all experienced the British media and Manchester United fan bias towards certain British players bias who get away with the same things but they don't..

Gary Neville and certain English pundits are hypocrites too. They understood why 28 year-old Harry Kane (grew up at Spurs and is Spurs Captain) wanted to leave Spurs last season due to a lack of ambition but not 37-year old Ronaldo wanting to leave to not waste his final few years. That it's a massive sacrifice for Ronaldo not to play Champions League football for the first time in his career.

the exact same thing happended at this club with Rooney. But the fans forgave him and moved on. And the club is in a much worse position and shown even less ambition since then..

Gary Neville and fans on Redcafe are questioning the ambition of the club with the lack of signings and De JONg so it's hypocritical to castigate Ronaldo for wanting to leave for lack of signings. I think it is about a lack of signings and ambition otherwise he wouldn't wanted to leave right at the end of the season.

if Club Legend Ronaldo gets booed or whatever (which would be disgusting for what he's done for the club) I blame the likes of Gary Neville and the British media who have treat Ronaldo disgracefully and whipped up this frenzy everyday when Ronaldo has been training professionally for 2 weeks now and not said anything.. the media have treat Ronaldo differently Unlike Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney who did the exact same thing. Look at Gary Neville's quotes about Harry Kane last summer and compare them to his quotes about Ronaldo this summer. Don't tell me there isn't agendas at play because there is... :rolleyes:

Martial will probably be back next game. I guess fans will put him starting above Ronaldo in the Brentford Matchday Thread despite being rubbish for years and flopped at Sevilla they didn't even want him. But let's keep playing this game for the rest of the season pretending Europa League Manchester United is too good for Ronaldo even if the team is suffering because of it.

Manchester United are in the Europa League. Yet some fans think we can turn our noses up on starting Ronaldo and somehow too good for him.. Yeah ok let's see how long that pride works out if it's hurting the team (which is what these fans are suppose to care about the team winning above all else but they are putting their own feelings about a player above the good of the team winning etc)..
He doesn't wanna be here so we need to plan without him. I reckon that's why people aren't putting him in their teams. He's probably not fit enough either but if he is then fine, we haven't got many options.
But I can understand not playing a player who wants to leave the club. It's quite obvious really.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What the feck are you talking about? The guy has very publicly disrespected United, disrupted ten Hag's preseason plans, dodged training, sauntered off during the Vallecano game and has even now not openly committed himself to United. If not for a solid offer coming in for him, he would not be starting anyway.

He should be nowhere near the starting XI. When players hand in transfer requests they normally get put away from the main squad. That's always been the way, so it wouldn't even be as if Ronaldo was being singled out?

Man Utd 1:2 Brighton

bakalhau

Quiet day in here.

Edit: I'll start. Not gonna pretend he had an amazing game but he put one pass wrongly during his time, and everything else he did during the 40 minutes was on point.

I feel extremely concerned someone who had no pre season didn't look off pace compared to his teammates, and feel equally concerned he didn't seem at any point like fish out of water. I read a few posts here and there during the summer of people being concerned about him missing the pre season, but did anyone really feel a difference to any of his other teammates? I didn't.

Meanwhile, of the front 3 he's the only one trying to create game without the ball. 2nd half I didn't see any runs from the top 3 except Ronaldo. The best play United did all game was almost all Ronaldo. Started the run which provided the line for a through pass, good ball put into him on the right, then a 3 star michelin dish served right into Rashford's face which proceeded to grab said dish and put it in the trash. He didn't press relentlessly, but he did press. He tried cheering up the team while on the sidelines when they went down. He fought for divided balls and chased quite a bit. He tried to create game without ball at his feet by moving around, dropping deep. He didn't stick with the ball long, searched a way to get plays going forward with momentum. Meanwhile, at the 89th minute we had 4 players juggling the ball around in the midfield like we were up 4-0.

He's not a perfect person but I'd take him unhappy over half our squad.

Last edited:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Quiet day in here.

Edit: I'll start. Not gonna pretend he had an amazing game but he put one pass wrongly during his time, and everything else he did during the 40 minutes was on point.

I feel extremely concerned someone who had no pre season didn't look off pace compared to his teammates, and feel equally concerned he didn't seem at any point like fish out of water. I read a few posts here and there during the summer of people being concerned about him missing the pre season, but did anyone really feel a difference to any of his other teammates? I didn't.

Meanwhile, of the front 3 he's the only one trying to create game without the ball. 2nd half I didn't see any runs from the top 3 except Ronaldo. The best play United did all game was almost all Ronaldo. Started the run which provided the line for a through pass, good ball put into him on the right, then a 3 star michelin dish served right into Rashford's face which proceeded to grab said dish and put it in the trash. He didn't press relentlessly, but he did press. He tried cheering up the team while on the sidelines when they went down. He fought for divided balls and chased quite a bit. He tried to create game without ball at his feet by moving around, dropping deep. He didn't stick with the ball long, searched a way to get plays going forward with momentum. Meanwhile, at the 89th minute we had 4 players juggling the ball around in the midfield like we were up 4-0.

He's not a perfect person but I'd take him unhappy over half our squad.
The lack of pre seasons doesn't necessarily shows at the 1st game especlially when your teamates are on the pitch for 1 half when you show up. It would actually make sense that his teamates are more tired than him because they went through preseason and he didn't.

And it's not a matter of being unhappy, it's a matter of him totally disrespecting the club and the new coach with ridiculous antics that he's not held accountable for because his name is Ronaldo.

bakalhau

The lack of pre seasons doesn't necessarily shows at the 1st game especlially when your teamates are on the pitch for 1 half when you show up. It would actually make sense that his teamates are more tired than him because they went through preseason and he didn't.
That's a good point. It's hard to put my thoughts across because some things I see I can't quite explain. My overall point is that I'm worried for the club for what I saw today overall, fortunately I don't seem to be the only one, but I saw more desire from Ronaldo today, a guy that's wanted to leave and is unhappy, than many other players who are seemingly happy at the club and want to stay.

If today is what I'm going to see the entire season I'd take an unhappy Ronaldo over many other players who didn't disrespect the club off the pitch, but lack a lot of quintessential United things on the pitch. I don't want to be harsh on those players like saying they're disrespecting the club, but maybe I'd say they are lacking a lot of the basics. And no one is perfect, but the true test for my is on the pitch, they're footballers after all, and not outside it. Ronaldo isn't perfect, neither are we all, but if this is what we're gonna get, I'd take a guy who maybe wanted to leave the club and sometimes mishandled the situation, but that after staying will show some goddamn desire and spirit and sense of urgency, over some others that on the pitch just don't seem to have a lot of the personality traits that were essential in turning United into the club it is today, regardless of whether they are mega happy or not.

I'm not arguing against you whether Ronaldo disrespected the club or not, by the way - if that's your view I fully respect it. I prioritize other things and maybe see things a little different, but I respect everyone's feelings about it, and I'd say it's fair if you feel that way.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
That's a good point. It's hard to put my thoughts across because some things I see I can't quite explain. My overall point is that I'm worried for the club for what I saw today overall, fortunately I don't seem to be the only one, but I saw more desire from Ronaldo today, a guy that's wanted to leave and is unhappy, than many other players who are seemingly happy at the club and want to stay.

If today is what I'm going to see the entire season I'd take an unhappy Ronaldo over many other players who didn't disrespect the club off the pitch, but lack a lot of quintessential United things on the pitch. I don't want to be harsh on those players like saying they're disrespecting the club, but maybe I'd say they are lacking a lot of the basics. And no one is perfect, but the true test for my is on the pitch, they're footballers after all, and not outside it. Ronaldo isn't perfect, neither are we all, but if this is what we're gonna get, I'd take a guy who maybe wanted to leave the club and sometimes mishandled the situation, but that after staying will show some goddamn desire and spirit and sense of urgency, over some others that on the pitch just don't seem to have a lot of the personality traits that were essential in turning United into the club it is today, regardless of whether they are mega happy or not.

I'm not arguing against you whether Ronaldo disrespected the club or not, by the way - if that's your view I fully respect it. I prioritize other things and maybe see things a little different, but I respect everyone's feelings about it, and I'd say it's fair if you feel that way.
I kinda understand what you mean but I think it's way to easy for Ronaldo to skip preseason, show up at Old Trafford with your agent claiming you want to leave, and then have the fans say "oh look, he really has his usual drive, he really wants to win when other don't".

Gottabekiddingme

People saying he doesn't fit Ten Hag style are talking nonsense.

Maybe he doesn't have the ability to defend like Ten Hag wants, but Ronaldo's keeping-it-simple approach, with quick passing and running into space fits Ten Hag like a glove.

Most of the players yesterday made their lives harder by playing the most complicated option

tariqo

Supports
barcelona
Just leave my club … it was a big mistake bringing him back & the way the fans treated him like if he is a true legend respect the club is sad to see … this guy care only about his image & if madrid showed any desire to sign him last year he would never talk with us …

Status
Not open for further replies.