Squad Number: #7
Foot: Right
Player Agent: Jorge Mendes
Contract Expires: Jun 30, 2023
Contract Option: Club Optional 1 Year
Outfitter: Nike​

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Does anyone else think that the absence of a certain CR7 might be a factor in our attacking players starting to click as a unit again? I know I do.
He certainly forced Ole to change the system at the last minute. No way we go from MMM only a season ago to what we saw last year.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Does anyone else think that the absence of a certain CR7 might be a factor in our attacking players starting to click as a unit again? I know I do.
Yep and I don’t think it’s just the physical and tactical presence. As much as he is a winner with an unbelievable attitude to the sport, I think he’s probably also quite an intimidating presence that sucks the confidence and freedom out of some of the younger players.

IhabX7

If he comes back and the team performs well, will you shut the feck up?

We have an excellent new manager, maybe it’s down to him? maybe the players aren’t that bad but we had a fraud in Rangnick? Maybe Cristiano can be even better than last season for us?

The forum is infested with intolerable people. Have some patience and stop hating our own players.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yep and I don’t think it’s just the physical and tactical presence. As much as he is a winner with an unbelievable attitude to the sport, I think he’s probably also quite an intimidating presence that sucks the confidence and freedom out of some of the younger players.
Yeah, 100%. His uber-professionalism and intensity seems to have had the exact opposite effect to what he hoped it would. Combine that with his waning powers on the pitch and it’s a recipe for a deeply dysfunctional team.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Could be true, but then it’s also undermining the work of ETH, which is ridiculous.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

We have an excellent new manager, maybe it’s down to him? maybe the players aren’t that bad but we had a fraud in Rangnick? Maybe Cristiano can be even better than last season for us?

The forum is infested with intolerable people. Have some patience and stop hating our own players.
:lol: Dry your eyes. Hopefully he gets his wish and pisses off to another club so you’re spared the emotional trauma of people thinking that signing him hasn’t improved the team.

mu4c_20le

ETH himself said he's looking forward to working with him but I guess people here know better.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Not his biggest fan, but if people think preseason is time to judge our players and our football, then they really should be ready for disappointments. Especially when those early excitements are made about players like Martial, etc.

For last ten years, there hasn't been one single season that replicated our football at minimum to what we have seen in preseason before that, and I don't think 10-20% of our players held the form from preseason to a season ahead(good or bad), so I have no idea how people can watch two or three preseason games and make any conclusions.

And for all his fault(and I am one of his biggest haters here for years), I still have more faith in Ronaldo than players like Martial, Shaw, Mctominay, maybe even Rashford. I would bet with anyone that he is still going to have better season than 3 out of mentioned 4 players.

Gandalf

Not his biggest fan, but if people think preseason is time to judge our players and our football, then they really should be ready for disappointments. Especially when those early excitements are made about players like Martial, etc.

For last ten years, there hasn't been one single season that replicated our football at minimum to what we have seen in preseason before that, and I don't think 10-20% of our players held the form from preseason to a season ahead(good or bad), so I have no idea how people can watch two or three preseason games and make any conclusions.
It's how pre season works, just jump on the hype train.

In fairness though, we scored more goals in each of the 2 seasons under Ole than we did last year with CR7 and it is pretty eye opening that suddenly everyone looks happier and more fluent in attack with him not in the squad. Seems to be a very strong argument for addition by subtraction.

IhabX7

:lol: Dry your eyes. Hopefully he gets his wish and pisses off to another club so you’re spared the emotional trauma of people thinking that signing him hasn’t improved the team.
No you’re talking out of your arse again. There’s no evidence to what you suggested, none whatsoever.

There’s no doubt in my mind that the manager wants Ronaldo to stay and has a plan to get the best out of him.

If Ronaldo leaves he leaves, I don’t really care because I know we’re in good hands now that ten Hag is here. There’s no need for the incessant incitement against our players. It reflects badly on you.

Tavern in the town

Another one who’ll be crying into his CR7 duvet when he finally fecks off.

mu4c_20le

Don’s be daft. When has any manager ever said that about a player still under contract that they’re hoping to get a fee for but might end up stuck with (ETH knows full well we’re the only idiots willing to pay a 37 year old those wages)
Ok, but Erik doesn't seem like the type to lie, or play mind games like that. No matter what people think of him, he's still a top player and I'd like to think that elite managers would prefer to try and work with him (and risk failing, like Ole) rather than giving up and thinking its too much liability.

redcucumber

Is Murtough Ronaldo in disguise?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Definitely but we can’t say it out loud because they will just say it’s bullshit and this is all purely down to Ten Hag’s coaching.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ok, but Erik doesn't seem like the type to lie, or play mind games like that. No matter what people think of him, he's still a top player and I'd like to think that elite managers would prefer to try and work with him (and risk failing, like Ole) rather than giving up and thinking its too much liability.
Unfortunately, I don’t think ETH has any choice but to work with him. I hope to God he’s a strong enough character to marginalise Ronaldo if he thinks we’ll play better without him. 37 year old Ronaldo is almost certainly not the player we want starting every game but would be a decent option off the bench. ETH has been dealt an absolute hospital pass by the prior incumbent, it has to be said.

IhabX7

Oi ! Did you not get the message? Not only are you an infestation, but you are also an intolerable infestation. :lol:;)
Quite accurate wasn’t I
Another one who’ll be crying into his CR7 duvet when he finally fecks off.
You speak like someone who would act like that.

I already said, what I have a problem with is the incitement. Whatever the manager’s decision on Ronaldo is I will accept it and support it.

Irwin99

errr, yes and no. No because Martial's form was dire in that second place finish season and Rashford clearly wasn't right either despite scoring quite a few goals that season, so there were issues long before Ronnie came here.

Having said that, we press better and there's no planet sized ego around which must be a huge help. So yes as well :D

mu4c_20le

errr, yes and no. No because Martial's form was dire in that second place finish season and Rashford clearly wasn't right either despite scoring quite a few goals that season, so there were issues long before Ronnie came here.
That's the year we brought in Cavani. Martial is like the anti-Shaw, doesn't do well with competition :/

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Where are these elite managers then? He's been turned down by quite a few top clubs now.
You take away the fact that he used to play for us, I bet most fans here would not touch the 37y.o him with a barge pole.

MrEleson

Don’s be daft. When has any manager ever said that about a player still under contract that they’re hoping to get a fee for but might end up stuck with (ETH knows full well we’re the only idiots willing to pay a 37 year old those wages)
Yeah but ETH could have easily kept his responses vague if he wanted to be diplomatic. The fact that he went out of his way to praise Ronaldo and insist that he was a key player in his plans for next season says all you need to know.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yeah but ETH could have easily kept his responses vague if he wanted to be diplomatic. The fact that he went out of his way to praise Ronaldo and insist that he was a key player in his plans for next season says all you need to know.
Like laporta's way? I love him to be here. But so long as the cnut takes a pay cut?
You just have to read between the lines, look at today's match against palace. How would ETH have fitted Ronaldo into that front 3?

MrEleson

Where are these elite managers then? He's been turned down by quite a few top clubs now.
You take away the fact that he used to play for us, I bet most fans here would not touch the 37y.o him with a barge pole.
Other top European clubs either don’t have space for him (PSG, Real Madrid) or don’t sign players as old as him (Bayern). Nothing to do with his quality as a player.

Won’t touch him with a barge pole yet still better than any attacker we can field today.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Not at all. There are loads of positive stuff we can attribute to ETH while also discussing the negative effect Ronaldo might have had on our attacking football (and attacking footballers) last season.
I'd say, the more you believe its from absence of negative effect Ronaldo may have on our attacking football, the less you would appreciate its from the brilliant work of ETH system. Logically speaking, you can't really contribute both factors on same high degree, its either one way more and the other way less.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd say, the more you believe its from absence of negative effect Ronaldo may have on our attacking football, the less you would appreciate its from the brilliant work of ETH system. Logically speaking, you can't really contribute both factors on same high degree, its either one way more and the other way less.
Ah well, too bad Ronaldo didn't want to stick around and see how the new manager might fare.

Club didn't meet his ambitions apparently. I guess that means he's off to Chelsea, Real, City, PSG, Bayern :wenger:

I'm sure the reality must be sinking in right about now.

saik

Really hope he leaves. The media uproar will be unbearable whenever he is dropped and the upside to keeping him isn't worth it when he so clearly doesn't want to stay.

A lot of people have already mentioned this but the 2nd goal today wouldn't happen if Ronaldo was in the side in the place of Martial. No matter the angle he would have taken a shot there. We look much more fluid as a team without him and I hope it continues that way.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ah well, too bad Ronaldo didn't want to stick around and see how the new manager might fare.

Club didn't meet his ambitions apparently. I guess that means he's off to Chelsea, Real, City, PSG, Bayern :wenger:

I'm sure the reality must be sinking in right about now.
See @Pogue Mahone? This post further proves my claim. It all begins with discussion on fluidity of attack in related to Ronaldo absence, which eventually turns into full scale Ronaldo bashing, instead of appreciating the work of ETH. Post like this really helps feeding the hater while undermining the work of new manager.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's how pre season works, just jump on the hype train.

In fairness though, we scored more goals in each of the 2 seasons under Ole than we did last year with CR7 and it is pretty eye opening that suddenly everyone looks happier and more fluent in attack with him not in the squad. Seems to be a very strong argument for addition by subtraction.
I always agreed with that tbf, and I was actually mad when we signed Ronaldo, but only because we signed him instead of someone else, and not for relying on our current forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.