Cristiano Ronaldo - allowed to leave in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Urban Goose

technically not paying him would be the illegal approach
Technically that wouldn't be illegal. A breach of contract, yes, but not illegal.

There are of course plenty of examples of an "illegal approach" if you're interested. Maybe visit Ghislaine Maxwell for some tips.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ronaldo is still a valid player in the right system however his major asset is his marketability. That's why he wants CL football and why he must be dreading spending time sitting on our bench. Unfortunately the financial package for a club to bring Ronaldo in is simply prohibitive. Thus I can't see him leave in January unless we either let him go for a free or we subsidise part of his salary

CatsOfUlthar

To be fair, every GOAT has to comes to terms when their career are approaching to an end. I think after this coming WC, he has some very tough decision to make.

If I were him, and if the situation at Man Utd doesn’t improve by then, I would probably move back to Portugal after the WC, maybe asking for 200k per week. The commercial revenues he brings to the club would have easily covered that.

Of course he could also move to Saudi Arabia for last big pay cheque, but I don’t think he would want it now, at least not until he reach his 40 (maybe in 2 years time).

You're totally right everyone does, I guess that's what's sad about it, it's inevitable but I'm sure any of us would do anything to hold it off for one more year.

I suppose I just hope it can be resolved peacefully and with good grace.

Do you think we would, should or could take him on in a role that allows him to coach or earn his badges with us?

I always felt we should have offered that opportunity to Mata, but I think I just had an enormous soft spot for him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You're totally right everyone does, I guess that's what's sad about it, it's inevitable but I'm sure any of us would do anything to hold it off for one more year.

I suppose I just hope it can be resolved peacefully and with good grace.

Do you think we would, should or could take him on in a role that allows him to coach or earn his badges with us?

I always felt we should have offered that opportunity to Mata, but I think I just had an enormous soft spot for him.
Don’t think he would want to be a coach at all, or becoming back room staff and play 2nd fiddle to everyone.

He won’t retire until he reaches 40, or might even want to spend a season playing with his son. In fact he might worry Messi being a threat to his CL record and even career record (in 2 years time).

So I guess his most likely destination would be moving back to Portugal and spend another 2 or 3 season playing in CL group stage and score few more league goals to ensure his records won’t be broke by his biggest rival.

peridigm

Can he leave now? His time on the pitch is taking away from a young player that would be hungrier than semi-retired Ronaldo.

bdecuc

Sure it'd be crazy if Ronaldo and the industry around him weren't plannig his escape route now. It should be obvious to even the most blinded fans that he's way off the level needed. Get him to a level where he can still have an impact, score some goals and continue to puff his chest out. That would have to be the priority for the 'brand'?

And surely as a club we wouldn't be stupid enough to want to keep paying a has-been an enormous wage? Surely...? Even this club ...?

ForeverRed1

I have no doubt that he was allowed to leave in the summer as well. However, I can’t see where the overlap is between clubs that he would want to go to and clubs that would be willing to take him?

I know there were stories about Napoli in the summer but would he really go there? It would definitely be best for all parties involved if he moved on.
Have you seen Napoli this season?

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Most sane people could see last season that despite being top goal scorer he looked way off it compared to even the younger 30 somethings in the league.

It’s been a sharp drop off and he would suit a club happy to pander to past greats and meander mid table supplying him with goals and assists.

Even against Omonia he struggled and missed the most basic of chancees, it’s telling that both Rashford and Martial came on and once again he dissolved into the background of the game despite their efforts to set him up.

Time comes for all players and his time is here to move on.

devilish

Football seem to have gone into a tactical overhaul lately with players being expected to press irrespective of their position. Those who remember the end of the mezza punta role can recall seeing top quality players like Zola and Baggio finding themselves unable to attract top clubs. To make matters worse Ronaldo wants everything. He wants regular first team football in a CL side and on stupid money. He can become quite toxic when he doesn't get what he wants as well. Clubs tend to take all that in account as the last thing they want is an ancient player on silly money who moans whenever his manager puts him on the bench. Sure Ronaldo is still a huge sponsorship magnet. However sponsors are fickle and those with serious money tend not to subsidize yesterday news for long.

Ronaldo's legacy in football is undeniable however it can be hit if he moves to another club only to fail badly. Currently there's this doubt whether Ronaldo is truly finished or if United are badly managing him. That goes away if he moves to let's say Bayern and he tanks there as well. Thus if I was his agent I'd push him to accept the Saudi offer. Its good money for United and himself in a league which would be almost impossible for him not to shine.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Football seem to have gone into a tactical overhaul lately with players being expected to press irrespective of their position. Those who remember the end of the mezza punta role can recall seeing top quality players like Zola and Baggio finding themselves unable to attract top clubs. ..
That's a bit harsh on Chelsea, Juventus, and both Milans.

devilish

That's a bit harsh on Chelsea, Juventus, and both Milans.
I am referring to the 96-97 era. Zola was pushed out of Parma to Chelsea whom at the time was a relatively small club when compared to what is today. Baggio would leave Milan in 97 to join Bologna. Sure he would have 2 other years on top with Inter but that was nothing short of a disaster at least for his standards. The end of the mezza punta role was at the horizon. In fact no one barely uses it anymore.

Rolaholic

Yea...get him out of here in January if he's going to undermine the manager/develop a vendetta like this

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That second goal against Newcastle was maybe an anomaly, but I honestly don't think he's as bad as he's performed this season. Sure, we've seen examples before, most notably with Rooney, but I think Ronnie last season was still the same player he was at Juve, just in a less favourable setup and our season famously went to absolute shite, with no one covered in an iota of glory. The same applies this season as last season in that he doesn't really suit the team we have and needs a very particular setup to flourish. I wanted him out in the summer and I think it's best for all parties. But I still think a Ronnie with confidence (and in good fitness) can be a very useful player this season, mainly from the bench.

Sviken

Yea...get him out of here in January if he's going to undermine the manager/develop a vendetta like this
He's fecking useless. Misses the whole pre-season, plays like a donkey when the chances are given to him and now comes out with this? Pathetic.

OpenIntrovert

More like you guys need to get out for believing this. Duncan Castles has rarely written anything positive since Mourinho left.

Shai-Hulud

Not only is he worse than useless on the pitch, he's a goddamn snake in the grass and it was completely obvious during the entire summer that he would soon undermine the manager.

Cloud7

More like you guys need to get out for believing this. Duncan Castles has rarely written anything positive since Mourinho left.
Isn’t castles essentially a mouthpiece for Mendes clients?

I can’t believe people still say “why do you people believe every negative report” when it gradually comes out over time that almost every negative report has been true in the last few years.

Gazza

Not happy at all about these leaks. It’s underminin’, and it’s the kinda thing I’m teaching my kids NOT TO DO. :mad:

the_cliff

Duncan Castles is only worth listening to when it comes to all things Mendes.

Remember he was the first to come out with Ole being sacked. Was definitely fed the info by Mendes.

OpenIntrovert

Duncan Castles is only worth listening to when it comes to all things Mendes.

Remember he was the first to come out with Ole being sacked. Was definitely fed the info by Mendes.
He has been writing articles against Ole for a very long time. The amount of correct media articles is a extremely low percentage when it comes to such rumours. If you all have read stories during SAF's time here, you will know why i say the media just needs a whiff of negativity to publish an article about us.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
It is important to note that Rolando is not the only Ronaldo anagram. Orlando exists too and is also a Potuguese name like Rolando.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I am referring to the 96-97 era. Zola was pushed out of Parma to Chelsea whom at the time was a relatively small club when compared to what is today. Baggio would leave Milan in 97 to join Bologna. Sure he would have 2 other years on top with Inter but that was nothing short of a disaster at least for his standards. The end of the mezza punta role was at the horizon. In fact no one barely uses it anymore.
Aren't Cantona, Djorkaeff in the same mould? Bergkamp, Lampard, Gerrard, Ballack. Then T. Muller, Ozil, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.