Cristiano Ronaldo - allowed to leave in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

The entire public relations and media unit of Manchester United would be sacked if those videos and pictures showed otherwise. It’s PR.
Post you quoted was made 12th on October.Things happened since then and we have considerably more/new information now.

NoPace

I stand by my pre-season comment that we should have loaned out Cristiano, given the money saved to Villa to get Danny Ings on loan for the year and then Villa could have spent 25M on a CB instead of 13M on Dendoncker and whatever fee they paid to get Bednarek. They wouldn't be in the relegation zone and we'd have a competent #9 who wouldn't complain when he only starts when Martial is hurt.

NoPace

Shame he was too delusional to join Sporting. We'd have saved a headache and 8-10M or so (Trincao is their top wage guy on 4M but you have to figure they'd recoup at least 5M in sponsorships and tickets and such if they brought back Cristiano) to loan in a replacement like Dortmund did with Modeste and Sporting would presumably not be struggling to score goals in the league, Cristiano would be playing in the CL in a group they could get out of and if he scored a goal a game in that league his spot for the World Cup would be safer.

That move made the most sense for everyone.

Hester_manc

It is sad that his time at United ends this way, but it is his own choice to react so bad. Ten Hag has only made one mistake as far as I can see; He should have let Ronaldo leave the club this summer, as he himself wanted to.

arthurka

It is sad that his time at United ends this way, but it is his own choice to react so bad. Ten Hag has only made one mistake as far as I can see; He should have let Ronaldo leave the club this summer, as he himself wanted to.
Reports have been pretty one sided regarding this and that is that he was allowed to leave but no one wanted him.

kaku06

It isn’t sad. I always had my doubts about his so called love for united. You can see if a player truly loves your club. Never saw or felt with him. He was always for himself. It was always about him. We were just a stepping stone. Many a great player have come and gone at this club but you know by their actions, the way they talk about us what united meant for them. He never ever was emotionally attached with us like we were with him. That’s sad not how his time is ending with us.

FlapR

He was allowed to leave in the summer when he was after CL football, but no-one wanted him and his wages. Nothing will change in January.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I am 80% certain that the only reason he didn't leave in the Summer was because there were no suitors that would take him. At least none that was good enough for his ego. I am not buying that United was refusing to sell him, especially at the tail end of the transfer window. I am afraid same will be true in January. At this point, I think United (esp. Ten Hag) are happy to sell him, but he just has nowhere viable to go to. He can go to China, or MLS or somewhere like that, but he thinks he is too good for it. But nobody else wants him.

Dude has no idea how to age and retire gracefully.

TheLord

Which top club CL would want him now with his baggage of petulance? Probably not one.
He can either feck off to Portugal or to the US in the winter.

Wing Attack Plan R

There is talk of canceling his contract and paying him the balance, like £8 million, but what they should do instead is make him a coach for the U18s. He can work with the youngsters while we’re paying him, get something out of this one-sided deal. No one will pick him up in January, so it’s cancel or find another use for him.

Pronewbie

Peep
Shame he was too delusional to join Sporting. We'd have saved a headache and 8-10M or so (Trincao is their top wage guy on 4M but you have to figure they'd recoup at least 5M in sponsorships and tickets and such if they brought back Cristiano) to loan in a replacement like Dortmund did with Modeste and Sporting would presumably not be struggling to score goals in the league, Cristiano would be playing in the CL in a group they could get out of and if he scored a goal a game in that league his spot for the World Cup would be safer.

Didn't their manager threaten to resign if the club signed Ronnie.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There's no good options. The idea of paying him off leaves a bitter taste in the mouth when he's the one who kicked up a stink.
Fundamentally, I now believe the talk about CL football was all nonsense. If you remember, the stories of Ronaldo wanting to leave intensified after reports Ten Hag had spoken to him in late April. I am now convinced Ten Hag told him he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter and my goat said he was having none of that.
We have to cancel his contract.

NewGlory

I stand by my pre-season comment that we should have loaned out Cristiano, given the money saved to Villa to get Danny Ings on loan for the year and then Villa could have spent 25M on a CB instead of 13M on Dendoncker and whatever fee they paid to get Bednarek. They wouldn't be in the relegation zone and we'd have a competent #9 who wouldn't complain when he only starts when Martial is hurt.
Nobody. Wanted. Him.

Nobody who plays Champions League, could pay his enormous salary and/or that Ronaldo wanted to join.

That's the truth.

NewGlory

It isn’t sad. I always had my doubts about his so called love for united. You can see if a player truly loves your club. Never saw or felt with him. He was always for himself. It was always about him. We were just a stepping stone. Many a great player have come and gone at this club but you know by their actions, the way they talk about us what united meant for them. He never ever was emotionally attached with us like we were with him. That’s sad not how his time is ending with us.
It's not just United. The same is true about any other club he has played for, and most things in his life. He is all about himself. Which may be why he became GOAT, but it is what it is.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There's no good options. The idea of paying him off leaves a bitter taste in the mouth when he's the one who kicked up a stink.
Fundamentally, I now believe the talk about CL football was all nonsense. If you remember, the stories of Ronaldo wanting to leave intensified after reports Ten Hag had spoken to him in late April. I am now convinced Ten Hag told him he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter and my goat said he was having none of that.
We have to cancel his contract.
Yeah I said that in the summer. Ten Hag told him he wanted him to be a mentor for younger players, to be an impact sub and rotation option and if he played well enough for the system, to start important games. Ronaldo then decided to leave.

The biggest hope I have is a mutual termination. Ronaldo knows we won't pay him off fully, but he also knows he won't play much if he stays. And that is death to the rest of his career if he doesn't play. So his best hope is to cut the contract, and go somewhere else on a lower wage where another club is willing to take him on.

KeanoMagicHat

It's not just United. The same is true about any other club he has played for, and most things in his life. He is all about himself. Which may be why he became GOAT, but it is what it is.
It’s why he isn’t GOAT. Team game at the end of the day. This sort of attitude is a black mark when comparing to the likes of Messi and Pele, more team-orientated players, never mind a Cruyff or Di Stefano.

mav_9me

I am a bit more optimistic that Ronaldo will leave sooner rather than later. More and more his position is untenable

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He can easily go. If he cares that much for football records then lower your wage demands and sign for whoever club that wants you. It is pretty simple. I bet that there are lits of clubs who would take him for normal wage.
But he wants his 500k per week on top on that. Well, then be bench warmer and play in league cup.

SATA

It’s obvious it’ll be Gakpo as his replacement, isn’t it? Especially if he has a good world cup tournament

DanClancy

Any centre forward who might be an adequate loan replacement in January?

Rolaholic

It was rumored that their coach, Amorim, had threatened to quit if they brought him in.

redshaw

This is the problem with Ronaldo and clubs taking him on. In his eyes he has to play to add to his goal tally, It's insulting to him if he's not and gets very emotional in the moment yet top clubs either don't want him or only offer a supporting role on less wages. He has to accept much lower wages at a smaller club that don't mind him playing regularly or accept a sub role at a CL club on lower wages.

He's only done more damage now, the time was at the start of season to be a bit more humble. He should choose playing time over money.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
So you are going to get Ronaldo off the wage bill and spend the money saved on a new player.

But...if you prefer that shiny new player to Ronaldo, won't everyone else as well ?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It’s obvious it’ll be Gakpo as his replacement, isn’t it? Especially if he has a good world cup tournament
Tbh, i don't understand our interes for Gakpo. He is lw and we have Sancho and Rashford there. Shouldn't we go for classic striker and play Rashford on hos natural position?

NoPace

Nobody. Wanted. Him.

Nobody who plays Champions League, could pay his enormous salary and/or that Ronaldo wanted to join.

That's the truth.
Well obviously we would have paid like 60% of his salary.

AFC NimbleThumb

His career decisions since throwing his dummy out at Madrid have been questionable but why he dithered until the start of pre-season instead of immediately coming out post last season saying he wanted to leave is beyond me.

I firmly believe some idiot would have built their transfer window around the guy had they had the whole Summer, & we’d have been all the better for it as a club too.

He’s only got himself to blame for the mess his career has become in recent years, idiotic decision compounded by idiotic decision.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Unless he wins the WC22 you guys are stuck with him. Nobody will take him on his high wages and United should not subsidize for him. I think when the season ends he'll probably get offers in the 100k range from tier 3 teams who want to boost their profile but his wages will be heavily performance-linked: something like 25% fixed, 25% if he makes it to the first 11, 10% on bench, 25% home goal, 40% away goal, etc. I feel even Chelsea/Milan/Inter will avoid him.

peridigm

MLS bound. He’s done it all. No more world cups after 22’. No more CL until next season. Only payout that will match his demands will be MLS or the Middle East.

Chief123

I’ve never been so excited to get rid of a player as much as this.

Amir

He was allowed to leave in the summer when he was after CL football, but no-one wanted him and his wages. Nothing will change in January.
Yep. You can bet that if there was a club that really wanted Ronaldo in the summer and United refused, his agent would have made it well known to put pressure on us.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
His career decisions since throwing his dummy out at Madrid have been questionable but why he dithered until the start of pre-season instead of immediately coming out post last season saying he wanted to leave is beyond me.

I firmly believe some idiot would have built their transfer window around the guy had they had the whole Summer, & we’d have been all the better for it as a club too.

He’s only got himself to blame for the mess his career has become in recent years, idiotic decision compounded by idiotic decision.
Think he might have had other things going on to be fair.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
It’s why he isn’t GOAT. Team game at the end of the day. This sort of attitude is a black mark when comparing to the likes of Messi and Pele, more team-orientated players, never mind a Cruyff or Di Stefano.
Yep I think thats an important point although you might want to look into Cryuffs behaviour during his time with Ajax, not a good example there.
Messi moves ahead of Ronaldo further now with this whole thing for me.

Brophs

The One and Only
Think he might have had other things going on to be fair.
Has it ever been confirmed that that was the issue during the summer? I'm not doubting it, really, it just seems to have gone awfully quiet and not even be mentioned when telling the story of his season.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
MLS bound. He’s done it all. No more world cups after 22’. No more CL until next season. Only payout that will match his demands will be MLS or the Middle East.
This. Can't see any other options. Anybody with any real ambition isn't going for CR7.

Status
Not open for further replies.