Cristiano Ronaldo - allowed to leave in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Unless he wins the WC22 you guys are stuck with him. Nobody will take him on his high wages and United should not subsidize for him. I think when the season ends he'll probably get offers in the 100k range from tier 3 teams who want to boost their profile but his wages will be heavily performance-linked: something like 25% fixed, 25% if he makes it to the first 11, 10% on bench, 25% home goal, 40% away goal, etc. I feel even Chelsea/Milan/Inter will avoid him.
This is kinda of what I think as well.... and agree United should not subsidise his wages.

It's another reason why I'm baffled at his behaviour. If I'm in decline (and I know he suspects he is despite his ego etc), I would keep myself quiet and humble. No matter what, United has been good to him and indulged him as much as they can. ETH has been really kind and respectful to him whilst trying to implement his way of doing things. It's not been easy for the manager who absolutely knows Cristiano cannot give us what we need to go forward. Yet, Ronaldo still thinks this is the way to do things, when it doesn't look like he has a lot of options elsewhere.

Him being in decline is one thing, but which club will be to deal with his attitude and expectation that he's the main man for their team? I just can't see any club he would want to go to, who will be able to indulge him in that respect.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
It is sad that his time at United ends this way, but it is his own choice to react so bad. Ten Hag has only made one mistake as far as I can see; He should have let Ronaldo leave the club this summer, as he himself wanted to.
I wonder if the powers that be within the club stopped any sale?

AFC NimbleThumb

Think he might have had other things going on to be fair.
I get exactly what you’re alluding to but you seem to have ignored the first part of the sentence of the paragraph. His career choices since falling out with Florentino have been poor. The mishmash that was last Summer came with extenuating circumstances but wasn’t an anomaly over the past few years, he’s been erratic for some time.

Tarrou

I think we'll come to a settlement agreement and he'll leave on a free after the World Cup

best interests for all parties

DevilsOwn

Hypothetically, if he were allowed to leave on free (our best chance of getting rid of him), which club would take him?? At his kind of wages?

Very very few could afford his wages, so unless he takes a paycut, would be really hard for him to find a top club, even on a free.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It’s why he isn’t GOAT. Team game at the end of the day. This sort of attitude is a black mark when comparing to the likes of Messi and Pele, more team-orientated players, never mind a Cruyff or Di Stefano.
Except GOAT has nothing to do with attitude though, I mean unless you don't regarded the likes of Maradona as one, which seems you don't as there is no mention of him from your above list. Even Cruyff also has his fair share of trouble and conflicts with his clubs/teammates during his time too.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
MLS bound. He’s done it all. No more world cups after 22’. No more CL until next season. Only payout that will match his demands will be MLS or the Middle East.
MLS to promote his global brand.

Middle East to get his big chuck of oil money.

But in terms of legacy, I think best way out for him would be going back to Sporting. Money would be the biggest obstacle though, but other than that, he could still play CL to extend his personal record, and stay relevant for abit longer until Euro 24 for retirement, and also claiming the romance of finishing off his final football chapter at where he started.

SecondFig

Tbh, i don't understand our interes for Gakpo. He is lw and we have Sancho and Rashford there. Shouldn't we go for classic striker and play Rashford on hos natural position?
Yeah, I like the look of Gakpo - but he seems to be yet another wide forward - and we already have Rashford, Sancho, Antony and Martial who are all (in different ways) wide forwards. I'd rather see us go for the likes of Sesko, Toney, Osimhen etc - who are all (again in different ways) more of a no.9

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
As I said in August.

If someone with a hugely chequered past is throwing a hissy fit mere months into the biggest rebuilding project of your career, you lay down the gauntlet, not mollify their fecking ego.

Should've made him train with the U-21s and shipped him out ignominiously for being a first class prat.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/cristiano-ronaldo-i-stay.471371/post-29306927

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, I like the look of Gakpo - but he seems to be yet another wide forward - and we already have Rashford, Sancho, Antony and Martial who are all (in different ways) wide forwards. I'd rather see us go for the likes of Sesko, Toney, Osimhen etc - who are all (again in different ways) more of a no.9
Gashpo.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
His career decisions since throwing his dummy out at Madrid have been questionable but why he dithered until the start of pre-season instead of immediately coming out post last season saying he wanted to leave is beyond me.

I firmly believe some idiot would have built their transfer window around the guy had they had the whole Summer, & we’d have been all the better for it as a club too.

He’s only got himself to blame for the mess his career has become in recent years, idiotic decision compounded by idiotic decision.
I agree. He knew we wouldn't be in the CL why as you say just ask to leave then. As someone else has said he isn't GOAT as he is not a team player. Unless you count Team Ronaldo as a team. Him and his greedy agent should have taken a pay cut to play football. Then not going on pre-season was madness. It is hard enough getting to match sharpness when you are much younger than Ronaldo.

PieCrust

ESPN also confirming that Ronaldo has been avaialable for free since this summer, but no one has been willing to pick up his contract. So clearly he's not willing to take a wage cut, maybe changes his mind in January since his image is now being tarnished and that's all he really cares about.

Will depend on his WC performance I suppose.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
There's no good options. The idea of paying him off leaves a bitter taste in the mouth when he's the one who kicked up a stink.
Fundamentally, I now believe the talk about CL football was all nonsense. If you remember, the stories of Ronaldo wanting to leave intensified after reports Ten Hag had spoken to him in late April. I am now convinced Ten Hag told him he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter and my goat said he was having none of that.
We have to cancel his contract.
Tell him to play with the reserves, he'll refuse and we can dock his wages.

Pronewbie

Peep
Good that we've briefed the media on this matter. No way the club should be subsidising his transfer. He should be willing to take a pay cut or move to Saudi Arabia instead.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It’s why he isn’t GOAT. Team game at the end of the day. This sort of attitude is a black mark when comparing to the likes of Messi and Pele, more team-orientated players, never mind a Cruyff or Di Stefano.
I see what you are saying but CR7's results speak for himself - he is definitely a GOAT, and while Messi is better than him, you do know Messi is also a major asshole? :) None of them are nice, cuddly, pleasant people. Ruthless competitors both, Ronaldo is an extreme version, yes.

wolvored

I think we'll come to a settlement agreement and he'll leave on a free after the World Cup

best interests for all parties
His contract is up in the summer anyway, so no need for a settlement, unless he leaves in January. The club wouldnt be that stupid to activate the year add on.

cpresc

Has anyone considered that Ronnie intentionally walked off the Spurs game to not play vs Chelsea? If he joins Chelsea in Jan he’s competing with us for a CL spot and I’m quite sure that remaining the CL top scorer is his main objective now

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Virtually no top club will take him on massive wages except in the middle and far East.

Some Europa League teams might take him on less than 150k a week.

We had everything we needed, and it all ran like clockwork. You could've shut your mouth, played and made as much money as you ever needed. It was perfect. But, no, you just had to blow it up.

Red00012

Has anyone considered that Ronnie intentionally walked off the Spurs game to not play vs Chelsea? If he joins Chelsea in Jan he’s competing with us for a CL spot and I’m quite sure that remaining the CL top scorer is his main objective now
:lol: This is a new take and a pretty mad one at that

ForeverRed1

Can’t see chelsea taking him

Woodzy

All he needs to do is swallow his pride a little, take a wage cut and not only will he find a decent club to play for but maybe even a Champions League club. He can easily make another run in Italy work for a couple more years.

Instead, he asked to leave, chose not to leave out of greed and to protect his ego and now has the cheek to throw a hissy fit because he’s not even good enough to start ahead of a still below form Rashford.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt in the summer, had this deluded of vision that despite his antics fate had given us one last season of Ronaldo scoring important goals for us. The guy has proven himself to be a right cnut.

Marwood

How can this man provoke so many meltdowns outside the club is astonishing.
They're all the same type, the guys who have a problem with it.

Ego driven, prima donna's, who all got themselves booted out one way or another.

CM10

Maybe this is what making him act like such a cnut this season. Knowing no one wants him, not even our own manager. His ego will be hurting badly
Surely that should be a motivator for him to buck up his ideas. His contract with United expires at the end of the season, he's going to need to find a new club so acting like a prize bellend is doing him no favours whatsoever.

There will be even less desire for a club to take him on now than there was in the summer. He's a toxic presence who creates a media shitstorm any time he doesn't play, he isn't good enough to play at the very top level anymore anyway and he will bleed you of 500k a week for the privilege. You'd have be completely batshit to touch him.

SungSam7

Virtually no top club will take him on massive wages except in the middle and far East.

Some Europa League teams might take him on less than 150k a week.

We had everything we needed, and it all ran like clockwork. You could've shut your mouth, played and made as much money as you ever needed. It was perfect. But, no, you just had to blow it up.
All right Mike Ehrmantraut!

Ironically, I think he wishes he went Baby Blue now ;)

Skills

Snitch
The question is, how much of a prick is he behind the scenes considering how often the mask slips in public?

I do think ETH did want to keep him in the summer (or at least the start of the summer). People forget he's a football fan too, and would've loved the opportunity to work with one of the greats.

Status
Not open for further replies.