Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The guy has played 180 mins in total this season. He has hardly had a kick.

Is he as good as he was, clearly not. But he was the third highest goal scorer in the Premier league last year. Scored more than players who many would say are "World Class" such as Kane or Mane. And he is playing for a dreadful team.

Put him in the City or Liverpool side last year, and he could have scored 30.
He scored what he did because players are instructed to pass to him at every opportunity, to the detriment of the team.

MrEleson

So he didn't even improve their average?
So it went from him diminishing their attacking output to now not even improving it after that was debunked :lol:

Well he was directly replacing previous goalscorers while the team maintained a steady decline.

And this is such a one-dimensional analysis you know that? Considering that simultaneously, Real Madrid had their worst scoring seasons in over a decade in the immediate 2 seasons after he left. They only managed to recover the last 2 years with Benzema’s stellar form.

MrEleson

Okay so before he joined Juventus they had one season where they scored more, and the rest they scored more or less the same as when he was there. So he essentially made no difference to the overall goals and his presence only resulted in the rest of the team scoring less, correct?
Wrong. Why did Madrid score substantially less and struggle after he left? The problem with these arguments is that you guys try to make it binary when it's a lot more nuanced than that. Juve as a whole were on a steady decline when he joined. Chiellini alluded to this recently - going as far as to say Ronaldo was able to disguise a lot of the team's issues.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So it went from him diminishing their attacking output to now not even improving it after that was debunked :lol:

Well he was directly replacing previous goalscorers while the team maintained a steady decline.

And this is such a one-dimensional analysis you know that? Considering that simultaneously, Real Madrid had their worst scoring seasons in over a decade in the immediate 2 seasons after he left. They only managed to recover the last 2 years with Benzema’s stellar form.
Well it's not really debunked, is it? Because the point remains that he came into a team that had their best goalscoring season in however many years, then reverted to type when he come in, despite him being brought in to improve on what came before. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of your hero is it? Considering that's why you bring him in.

As for the Madrid point, I've already mentioned this when this came up before. He was obviously incredible for Madrid, in a team that was built around him. He was the main focal point of that teams structure. When he doesn't have that (i.e., when he moves to another team), it has a huge impact on how that team plays and sets up. Which is the point you seemingly can't comprehend.

MrEleson

@MrEleson Cristiano Ronaldo always had a reputation of being a bit self centered, mega disciplined, focused on the goal and demands the highest standards from his teammates and club to help him achieve his goals. These traits are usually double sided, when the team is functioning well and there is a strong existing culture at the club that mitigates its side effects, it's all good, it's better than good! You get a goal machine that fits in very well with a relentless winning culture which was provided by Sir Alex Ferguson and the entity that is Real Madrid. His personality was never going to have a negative effect when there were people like Sir Alex or Perez in charge and when he was backing it up with some of the best performances in the history of the game.

When his return is diminished and the environment around him is not helping either like it was in his early years with us and later on with Juventus and even worse, now us. His traits are more harm than good, much more harm in fact. He forces a playing style that no top team uses right now because of his performance decline. He gets frustrated when the team is not in the latter stages of the CL and he can't accept that he is NOT good enough to playing for such a team now. An athlete that understands these limitations would either accept being part of a rebuilding job like Zlatan, or fly off to China or America for a nice paycheck. He doesn't want either, he seems to believe that he belongs with the elite of Europe in the latter stages of the CL when none of them want him. If he doesn't believe that, he needs to make a decision: us, Sporting Lisbon or outside Europe and out of respect for any of these options, he needs to give and respect the new reality of his footballing status.

What you are doing is cherry picking examples of when something good was said about him which would be a good argument if someone here argued that Ronaldo was and is an unlikeable pest that left nowhere with any friends. The argument is his presence affects the club because of his personality and later on in his career, his status. Whereas that could one time be justified by performances and could one time be a good fit with the clubs he's been with, it can also be poisonous and toxic if you change those factors; ie: decreasing performances and a less successful environment. This is what is happening now and the man is crying all the way to America or wherever he'll end up before he spares us the tears.
I appreciate the long thought out post and even agree with a lot of what you said. His constant demands are definitely not conducive to a good environment in his current setting but it doesn't mean he wouldn't thrive elsewhere. I don't think he's inherently toxic or even means to be. I just feel this group of players are mentally weak and just can't tolerate/cope with a personality like Ronaldo's in the dressing room. It'll definitely better for all parties if he moved on but I still think he can still be a key player for a team at the highest level.

MrEleson

Well it's not really debunked, is it? Because the point remains that he came into a team that had their best goalscoring season in however many years, then reverted to type when he come in, despite him being brought in to improve on what came before. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of your hero is it? Considering that's why you bring him in.

As for the Madrid point, I've already mentioned this when this came up before. He was obviously incredible for Madrid, in a team that was built around him. He was the main focal point of that teams structure. When he doesn't have that (i.e., when he moves to another team), it has a huge impact on how that team plays and sets up. Which is the point you seemingly can't comprehend.
So pointing out one statistically anomalous season proves your point? Juve out-performed their xG in the 17/18 season. Naturally they were highly unlikely to re-produce the same goal tally the following season with or without Ronaldo. And if they're scoring similar averages to previous years, surely he can't be affecting the way they play that badly?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I appreciate the long thought out post and even agree with a lot of what you said. His constant demands are definitely not conducive to a good environment in his current setting but it doesn't mean he wouldn't thrive elsewhere. I don't think he's inherently toxic or even means to be. I just feel this group of players are mentally weak and just can't tolerate/cope with a personality like Ronaldo's in the dressing room. It'll definitely better for all parties if he moved on but I still think he can still be a key player for a team at the highest level.
A key player for a team at the highest level....yet excatly zero teams at the highest level have come in for him with an offer? How does that work? You'd think some of you are still talking about prime Ronaldo, the way you think he's still able to contribute.

Can he still contribute for a team - even at the highest level? Definitely. But I think the days of him being so good that top teams would bend over for him and build their entire attack to suit his strengths are long gone - and it seems most teams know this.

gaffs

If the players can't take another player criticizing them, then they are even weaker than i thought.
We cant play out of a press from team who finished 13th last year and have been put together for less that what we just bought a midget center back for.

MrEleson

A key player for a team at the highest level....yet excatly zero teams at the highest level have come in for him with an offer? How does that work? You'd think some of you are still talking about prime Ronaldo, the way you think he's still able to contribute.

Can he still contribute for a team - even at the highest level? Definitely. But I think the days of him being so good that top teams would bend over for him and build their entire attack to suit his strengths are long gone - and it seems most teams know this.
Well yeah he's 37 going on 38 and is on 500k a week wages.

I'm sure if he was a decade younger and had exactly the same season he did last year, he'd have more suitors. Not to mention, the elite sides that he would want to go to are all good in attack (Real Madrid, Barca, PSG) which only leaves Bayern (Nagelsmann doesn't want to play with a #9), Chelsea & Atletico (let's see what happens in the next 2 weeks).

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So pointing out one statistically anomalous season proves your point? Juve out-performed their xG in the 17/18 season. Naturally they were highly unlikely to re-produce the same goal tally the following season with or without Ronaldo. And if they're scoring similar averages to previous years, surely he can't be affecting the way they play that badly?
Well, you certainly haven't disproven anything the way you think you have.

As for the bold. Why not? It could possibly imply that he didn't improve them. And considering he's often heralded as one of the best players of all time, is it unrealistic to expect him to improve the goalscoring average of a team that he just joined for £105m? You know, considering the fact that scoring goals is his main attribute.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Well yeah he's 37 going on 38 and is on 500k a week wages.

I'm sure if he was a decade younger and had exactly the same season he did last year, he'd have more suitors. Not to mention, the elite sides that he would want to go to are all good in attack (Real Madrid, Barca, PSG) which only leaves Bayern (Nagelsmann doesn't want to play with a #9), Chelsea & Atletico (let's see what happens in the next 2 weeks).
A decade younger? What does that even mean? That's exactly my point. He's declined and hence no top teams are interested in making him a key player - which was your point.

NewYorkRed

Insulting another member
Martial was injured genius. Find a new soccerball team
Oh so Martial is the key piece to us playing football, otherwise we can’t. Got it.

Go be xenophobic somewhere else you worthless piece of crap. And while you’re at it, find a brit to buy the team because right now bud, its owned by Americans.

MrEleson

As for the bold. Why not? It could possibly imply that he didn't improve them. And considering he's often heralded as one of the best players of all time, is it unrealistic to expect him to improve the goalscoring average of a team that he just joined for £105m? You know, considering the fact that scoring goals is his main attribute.
These things aren’t binary though. Juve as a team were in steady decline when he joined and players like Matuidi, Khedira, Sandro etc were just about past their prime. I mean Khedira retired just 2 years later and Matuidi was in MLS within a year. Pjanic was just in the Turkish league last season. These players were their first choice midfield when he signed for them.

Most Juve fans would tell you that he carried them a lot for the duration of his time there.

MrEleson

A decade younger? What does that even mean? That's exactly my point. He's declined and hence no top teams are interested in making him a key player - which was your point.
My point is that, despite declining (obviously he did) he’s still a top quality striker (imo) and largely isn’t getting offers because of his age and salary but mostly because of his age.

Most top clubs (especially the likes of Bayern & Madrid don’t sign players over 30) much less one that is almost fecking 40 years old.

Bayern made a comment criticising Juve for signing him at his age in 2018 when he was reigning Ballon D’or holder and just had another historic season with Madrid. He’s 4 years older now so why would they sign him based on that philosophy?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
These things aren’t binary though. Juve as a team were in steady decline when he joined and players like Matuidi, Khedira, Sandro etc were just about past their prime. I mean Khedira retired just 2 years later and Matuidi was in MLS within a year. Pjanic was just in the Turkish league last season. These players were their first choice midfield when he signed for them.

Most Juve fans would tell you that he carried them a lot for the duration of his time there.
The thing is, what I'm getting here from you, is that you will simply not even entertain the idea that Ronaldo could possibly affect the way a team plays in a negative way. As you've done above, the blame will always be shifted. And it's true to a certain extent because he's not going to be solely to blame for any club's problems. And that's the same with United. Ronaldo is not 100% to blame for United's problems. But he's a problem. This current incarnation of Ronaldo definitely has an impact on how a team must set up and play.

And, quite frankly, it's not worth the hassle. He needs to go. What you're getting in return (as Juve found out) is not worth it.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Wasn't that the explosion point? I think there was beef with them for a while. Only going from memory but Ruud really didn't like him and thought that he wasn't passing him the ball during games.
Absolutely. But the daddy remark was taken completely out of context because of the unfortunate passing of Cristianos father not long before. Stupid thing to say, though.

Rolaholic

Could've been an asset during the transition year but he's by all accounts decided to be a problem and throw the toys out the pram to force an exit.

He's not one of the main problems at the club but the circus that will follow him and the club here all season isnt worth it, he can feck off.

We've already got enough of a shitshow to deal with.

Rolaholic

It's a shame Atleti are only willing to send us their undesirables for him, Joao Felix would be a godsend

RuudTom83

Sadly for everyone involved the window closes soon, and even if it was open for another 3 months, that still wouldn’t be long enough for the board to come to any conclusions.

r1z3mu

Mark my words - once Ron is gone our team will improve. It's not about goals, it's about chemistry. Having toxic player is destroying our fragile dressing room.

Phil Osophy

I find that bit from Pierce Morgan about "WHEN Ronaldo leaves (not if)" interesting. I've been thinking for some time that he'll be gone in the last week or so like it happened at Juve.

After a month of rejections he came back to the club and far from tracking back he asked them to let him leave. He has something tied out there otherwise he wouldn't have been so determined to leave. He sent his message the day we played against Vallecano and the noises are now about him stinking up the place which was easily predictable. I'm not leaving, you say? Hold my beer.

Someone putting that kind of pressure has a place to go, 100 %. It could be a club who wants him for free as a condition to sign him and I can see the club rejecting initially. So this could be about setting the conditions, with some time ahead still to play it patiently as there's millions in play.

If that's the case I don't know who will blink first but something has to happen, because the guy doesn't want to be here and I doubt the team in general and probably the staff want his circus here for a whole season. I bet Ronaldo is busy reminding this to them every day, so they push with him in the same direction.

Last edited:

Rolaholic

Can we not just bin off the Rabiot deal, use that money plus Ronaldo to get Marcos Llorente? He'd be fantastic in a pressing system.
That would be too shrewd a move for the bumbling cronies in charge of the club...

Llorente is on the verge of being world class, injury is the only thing that stopped him from building on that fantastic 20/21 season

Renegade

Would love for him to go Athletco and taint his Madrid affiliation and then blank in the UCL and get beaten to the title by Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.