Cristiano Ronaldo - Man Utd Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

macheda14

Have we? One in a friendly during preseason. When was the last counting one?

Edit: Actually, I think he´s only scored one goal from direct free kick in his whole United career. I remember two goals from Rashford the last few seasons, and one from Pogba which was reflected into the top corner. We really don´t score much on free kicks.
Yeh but sometimes Bruno realises going for an assist is the better choice. Ronaldo will shoot from those places.

ChaddyP

Edit: Actually, I think he´s only scored one goal from direct free kick in his whole United career. I remember two goals from Rashford the last few seasons, and one from Pogba which was reflected into the top corner. We really don´t score much on free kicks.
probably not "recently" but got a couple during lockdown against liverpool aresenal and bournemoth off the top of my head

Posh Red

Liverpool???

Dve

Liverpool at home in the cup. Then before that Bournemouth at home last summer.
2 last season in all competitions, none in the league.
probably not "recently" but got a couple during lockdown against liverpool aresenal and bournemoth off the top of my head
Al right, so a couple in the cups then, but apparently only one in the league (https://www.premierleague.com/players/23396/Bruno-Fernandes/stats)

Can do better, anyway, and I expect Ronaldo to take the free kick from now on.

peridigm

I don't think there is anything that could get me more excited about United at the moment than Ronaldo coming back to OT as a United player. I think the only thing that would be more exciting is SAF coming out of retirement. Just sitting here thinking about the game Saturday and how pumped everyone is going to be. Wish I could be there in person. Can't wait for the match.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maguire will obviously continue as the captain, I don´t even think that´s a discussion to have. And Fernandes should keep on taking penalties; he´s just better at it. Ronaldo can have the free kicks outside the box, though, we don´t score much on those.
I think Ronaldo has to take them. We need him to be in the best form possible, chasing new records and extending current ones. And I fully expect Bruno to step aside for him to do so.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I don't think there is anything that could get me more excited about United at the moment than Ronaldo coming back to OT as a United player. I think the only thing that would be more exciting is SAF coming out of retirement. Just sitting here thinking about the game Saturday and how pumped everyone is going to be. Wish I could be there in person. Can't wait for the match.
:drool::drool:

EtH

Much as I love Ronaldo, anyone who’s watched him at all will know that when things aren’t going his way he’s much more likely to throw a strop than look to galvanize his teammates. And I think it’s pretty common knowledge at this point that Messi has all the charisma of a dead fish. Comparing either to Keano in terms of leadership is madness.

Everything doesn’t begin and end with Ronaldo this season for us. We had a very good squad and attack before signing him. But between the fanboys and the media I am sure he is pretty much all we’ll hear about this season aside from slating our other players even when he plays poorly.

But either way. Siiiuuuuu

Reactions: Dargonk

RedRon007

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/robin-van-persie-2012-14-performances.357843/

Just looking at the Van Persie signing thread and it seemed like people was a lot more positive about it nobody mentioned brought up his rape accusations for example or attacking "fanboys" because they was positive.. and we have just signed a legitimate GOAT who is already a Legend at Manchester United so I don't get the negativity you'd expect more positivity especially having been starved off success for almost 10 years.. Ronny can defiantly have the same impact on this team if not bigger than Van Persie did that everyone jizzed over.. It's like some posters here resent Ronaldo getting all the positive headlines and attention for some reason even though it doesn't hurt them and Ronaldo's teammates are cool with it.. That's part of signing Ronaldo I'm afraid if you didn't want that Manchester United shouldn't have signed Ronaldo then.. it's the same for PSG with Messi but I bet the PSG fans are not complaining as the pros outweigh the cons. It'll be the same all about Ronaldo even if he was on the bench, but negative stories he's simply that big.. I'd rather positive ones with the club winning.

It's like the poster above.. this narrative agenda "we was going in the right direction anyway" so we was going to win trophies.. you could've said the same about Cantona before he joined. But that's not stopping people crediting him and putting him on a pedestal for being the catalyst is it? why do some posters have a problem with that if Ronaldo does the same? it's not hurting them is it? says more about them than Ronaldo.

I think Ronaldo has to take them. We need him to be in the best form possible, chasing new records and extending current ones. And I fully expect Bruno to step aside for him to do so.
Ronaldo has scored more penalties than Fernandes. Yes Fernandes has a better record but that's because he has only took like 42 penalties in his career, and he's only missed 3. Ronaldo has took 139 penalties in his career and missed just 28.. so all those people saying Fernandes should keep taking the penalties because he has a better record.. that's because he's took almost 100 penalties less than Ronaldo and in less pressure situations! if you take less penalties you'll more than likely have a better success rate.. So I hope Ronaldo gets the penalties as he's our main striker, he needs the confidence of them and the media/press are waiting for him to fail to hammer him you know the first game he doesn't score the knives will be out and he will get frustrated/lose confidence.. you wouldn't take Ruud Van Nistelrooy off penalties for Fernandes even if Fernandes has a better record.. even though Ruud Van Nistelrooy has took 52 penalties in his career and missed 13! that's a worse record than CR7 but Ruud took them as he was our main striker and needed the goals and confidence just like Ronaldo does now!

Ronaldo has took the penalties for the biggest clubs in the World in Real Madrid, Juve and Manchester United in his first spell. Aswell as Portugal. So he has the experience in pressure situations. He should take them for United.

Last edited:

The United

Much as I love Ronaldo, anyone who’s watched him at all will know that when things aren’t going his way he’s much more likely to throw a strop than look to galvanize his teammates. And I think it’s pretty common knowledge at this point that Messi has all the charisma of a dead fish. Comparing either to Keano in terms of leadership is madness.

Everything doesn’t begin and end with Ronaldo this season for us. We had a very good squad and attack before signing him. But between the fanboys and the media I am sure he is pretty much all we’ll hear about this season aside from slating our other players even when he plays poorly.

The usual Pogba's issues on Caf but x 10000 times?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Al right, so a couple in the cups then, but apparently only one in the league (https://www.premierleague.com/players/23396/Bruno-Fernandes/stats)

Can do better, anyway, and I expect Ronaldo to take the free kick from now on.
If you look at Ronaldo's goals from his last season with Juve, he mainly scores from headers, pens and well-placed shots. He knows he has lost his blazing footwork and speed.

But with experience, (and as consequently, the game has slowed down for him mentally), he has the composure now not to thump shots (which I suspect his legs can't do anymore) but to place them accurately.

So I doubt he will be taking the freekicks whether to assist the potential scorers or to score from 20-30yards out. He would want to be on the receiving end; using his springs and incredible Jordonesque hangtime to score goals or use his experience to anticipate the ball or just be at the right place at the right time for tap-ins instead.

He is an intelligent player and has adapted his game accordingly.

shahzy

I hope we use him as yet another cog in the machine rather than the whole machine itself. He isnt that player anymore and when hes asked to be the whole machine ie: Juve. The team becomes completely shit

Balljy

Ronaldo has scored more penalties than Fernandes. Yes Fernandes has a better record but that's because he has only took like 42 penalties in his career, and he's only missed 3. Ronaldo has took 139 penalties in his career and missed just 28.. so all those people saying Fernandes should keep taking the penalties because he has a better record.. That's because he's took almost 100 penalties less than Ronaldo and in less pressure situations!
Missing 20% of penalties compared to 7% is a pretty big statistical anomaly.

Heardy

Just looking at the Van Persie signing thread and it seemed like people was a lot more positive about it nobody mentioned brought up his rape accusations for example or attacking "fanboys" because they was positive.. and we have just signed a legitimate GOAT who is already a Legend at Manchester United so I don't get the negativity you'd expect more positivity especially having been starved off success for almost 10 years.. Ronny can defiantly have the same impact on this team if not bigger than Van Persie did that everyone jizzed over.. It's like some posters here resent Ronaldo getting all the positive headlines and attention for some reason even though it doesn't hurt them and Ronaldo's teammates are cool with it.. That's part of signing Ronaldo I'm afraid if you didn't want that Manchester United shouldn't have signed Ronaldo then.. it's the same for PSG with Messi but I bet the PSG fans are not complaining as the pros outweigh the cons. It'll be the same all about Ronaldo even if he was on the bench, but negative stories he's simply that big.. I'd rather positive ones with the club winning.

It's like the poster above.. this narrative agenda "we was going in the right direction anyway" so we was going to win trophies.. you could've said the same about Cantona before he joined. But that's not stopping people crediting him and putting him on a pedestal for being the catalyst is it? why do some posters have a problem with that if Ronaldo does the same? it's not hurting them is it? says more about them than Ronaldo.

Ronaldo has scored more penalties than Fernandes. Yes Fernandes has a better record but that's because he has only took like 42 penalties in his career, and he's only missed 3. Ronaldo has took 139 penalties in his career and missed just 28.. so all those people saying Fernandes should keep taking the penalties because he has a better record.. that's because he's took almost 100 penalties less than Ronaldo and in less pressure situations! if you take less penalties you'll more than likely have a better success rate.. So I hope Ronaldo gets the penalties as he's our main striker, he needs the confidence of them and the media/press are waiting for him to fail to hammer him you know the first game he doesn't score the knives will be out and he will get frustrated/lose confidence.. you wouldn't take Ruud Van Nistelrooy off penalties for Fernandes even if Fernandes has a better record.. even though Ruud Van Nistelrooy has took 52 penalties in his career and missed 13! that's a worse record than CR7 but Ruud took them as he was our main striker and needed the goals and confidence just like Ronaldo does now!
This is such a weird take, if you take less, you miss less - only in absolute terms. The conversion rate is what is important.

It’s not like Fernandes has only taken 3 penalties.

You can’t say Ronaldo has scored more so is better atpenalties, when his conversion rate is actually far worse.

By your logic Kevin Davies is a better goal scorer than Ronaldo as he scored more Pl goals, despite playing in probably 4x the games.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Ronaldo has took the penalties for the biggest clubs in the World in Real Madrid, Juve and Manchester United in his first spell. Aswell as Portugal. So he has the experience in pressure situations. He should take them for United.
"Just" 28?!

That sounds a heck of a lot of misses to me!
It seems baffling to suggest Ronaldo should swagger in here, and take them off a guy who has missed for us at least, 1 pen in 20 odd (i think).

Dve

I saw some stats showing that Ronaldo roughly misses 1 out of 5 penalties, while Bruno misses less than 1 out of 10, and I think that´s an argument for letting Bruno keep on taking them.

UncleBob

I saw some stats showing that Ronaldo roughly misses 1 out of 5 penalties, while Bruno misses less than 1 out of 10, and I think that´s an argument for letting Bruno keep on taking them.
Ronaldo has 139 goals from 167 attempts, Bruno has 42 from 45.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
"Just" 28?!

That sounds a heck of a lot of misses to me!
It seems baffling to suggest Ronaldo should swagger in here, and take them off a guy who has missed for us at least, 1 pen in 20 odd (i think).
Baffling but inevitable. One of the obvious downsides of this transfer. We just have to hope the upsides make a few missed penalties worth it.

The Red Thinker

Yes just like how things didn't go his way for Portugal. Missed a penalty. Nothing came off. Then two injury time killer headers. What a strop that was wow.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Baffling but inevitable. One of the obvious downsides of this transfer. We just have to hope the upsides make a few missed penalties worth it.
If he scores them, I'd be delighted to have him hype his tally up, as it's been too long since we had one of the top strikers in the league.

Dve

If you look at Ronaldo's goals from his last season with Juve, he mainly scores from headers, pens and well-placed shots. He knows he has lost his blazing footwork and speed.

But with experience, (and as consequently, the game has slowed down for him mentally), he has the composure now not to thump shots (which I suspect his legs can't do anymore) but to place them accurately.

So I doubt he will be taking the freekicks whether to assist the potential scorers or to score from 20-30yards out. He would want to be on the receiving end; using his springs and incredible Jordonesque hangtime to score goals or use his experience to anticipate the ball or just be at the right place at the right time for tap-ins instead.

Will be interesting to see (and I mean direct freekicks), but I put my money on that he will.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
As someone laid out already here above, it's not just about the penalties, it's - to use a Jose phrase haha - about the globality of it. We need Ronaldo to be firing on all cylinders. If he has a patch of 3-4 games where we are playing slow-death-tempo and not making any chances, like the poster said, the press will get on him. I think everyone in the team recognises this, Ole and Bruno as well, so I 100% expect him to be on pen duties.

Dve

As someone laid out already here above, it's not just about the penalties, it's - to use a Jose phrase haha - about the globality of it. We need Ronaldo to be firing on all cylinders. If he has a patch of 3-4 games where we are playing slow-death-tempo and not making any chances, like the poster said, the press will get on him. I think everyone in the team recognises this, Ole and Bruno as well, so I 100% expect him to be on pen duties.
I´m not sure that´s such a great argument for letting Ronaldo take the penalties. All our players need to be firing on all cylinders.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Ronaldo is definitely going to take the penalties. He's going to want to keep up his stats and bruno will be happy to give them to him.

spiriticon

Don't care who takes the penalties as long as they end up in the back of the net.

spiriticon

"... And it's Phil Jones stepping up on account of Spiritcon's indifference"
Hey, if Phil steps up and rabonas it into the top corner, I'm not going to say no! :lol:

If he does it at Anfield, I might even be tempted to leave my indifference behind and properly lose my shit.

andr1y7

When it comes to penalties, the sample size for Bruno is way smaller than Ronaldo's. If you actually think he would maintain a 90%+ scoring rate with another 100+ attempts you are delusional. He would definitely dip into the 80s, which is where Ronaldo is. So, in my opinion, it doesn't really matter if either Bruno or Ronaldo take them.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I´m not sure that´s such a great argument for letting Ronaldo take the penalties. All our players need to be firing on all cylinders.
Well, I think it's moot point anyway. He'll take the pens.

RonaldoVII

When it comes to penalties, the sample size for Bruno is way smaller than Ronaldo's. If you actually think he would maintain a 90%+ scoring rate with another 100+ attempts you are delusional. He would definitely dip into the 80s, which is where Ronaldo is. So, in my opinion, it doesn't really matter if either Bruno or Ronaldo take them.
Dipping into the 80s is still better than Ronaldo clinging onto the 80s. Who's to say he wouldn't dip into the 70s? You can't forecast it.

Shiva87

Statistically Bruno should take them. Don't agree with the posters here who that that the 100+ penalties should make Ronaldo the automatic taker.

Bruno would need to miss 25 of the next 120 odd penalties to come down to Ronaldo's level. At his current conversion rate, he misses 9 of those 120. Some of those he will also score in rebounds. His consistency on this is next level.

If anything, I'll prefer Bruno stat padding his goals with his penalties while Ronaldo scores goals from open play. However, knowing their relationship of a demigod and fan, Bruno is going to offer penalties to Ronaldo as a gift wrapped in custom made paper!

jesperjaap

Composure not to thump shots which his legs cant do? He is 36 not 66 ffs

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Does anyone know Ronaldos penalty record for Utd? I know he missed afew, most notable the champions league final but I do recall feeling very confident with him on them. He can’t have missed too many?

RedRon007

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...no-ronaldo-man-utd-training-fans-lamborghini/

This is hilarious.. I can't post pictures yet but it is Ronaldo getting chased by fans in his Lambo. Crazy! :lol:

Should Ronaldo take Man Utd’s penalties?

‘It’s going to change, Bruno [Fernandes] taking the set pieces is not going to happen. In football there is a hierarchy in every club, you know it as a football player. When someone like Ronaldo comes, when someone is your captain for your country, someone who is one of the best in the history of football.

‘You will show respect and whether you like it or not he’s going to take the penalties and the free kicks unless the guys have a conversation. When you’re 25 you see football differently. When you’re 36 you see it another way. So they will talk and find a solution.’

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/09/cris...big-questions-on-cr7-man-utd-return-15227012/

Berba has spoken. I fecking love Berba! that goal vs West Ham which he assisted for Ronny.. was one of my favourites!

I think Ronaldo probably has it written into his contract he takes the penalties and free-kicks just like Alan Shearer did when he moved from Blackburn to Newcastle. You don't go from taking them your whole career to coming in as a bit-part player especially when you will be judged by the media/press on goals you'll be hammered if you don't score where as Fernandes won't be because he does assists etc as a midfielder his job isn't scoring goals (it's not the same someone said "we need all players firing" Ronaldo's main and probably job is to score goals here nothing else and if he doesn't do that people will say he's failed so the penalties are more important for him).. Like Ole said he is coming to improve the team not sit in the bench. Someone mentioned Ronaldo becoming just a "clog" in the machine rather than the machine itself.. nah that's not going to happen mate everything becomes about Ronaldo now for better and worse that's the package he comes with.. just like PSG have become all about Messi I don't see PSG fans on the PSG forums complaining about that they welcome it.. But if it delivers trophies that's the most important thing. We haven't won a major trophy for almost 10 years so if it works I hope everyone will be happy.. if it doesn't well.. maybe we wouldn't have won any major trophies anyway who knows. But it is only for a few years either way.. so enjoy the ride atleast it'll be fun!

I think Ronaldo would rather retire from football altogether at the top than become a "bit-part player"

if Ruud Van Nistelrooy joined the club, he'd take the penalties off Bruno too.. even though he has a worse record than both Ronaldo and Fernandes. Top strikers always take the penalties in most clubs. It's also about the bigger picture of keeping them happy an ego thing for the long-term picture they are not all necessary the best penalty takers at the club.. look at Ronaldo missing for Portugal VS Ireland, but he still won the game for Portugal as that miss probably motivated him more. If Ronaldo misses penalties for Manchester United but he leads the team to winning I don't think most fans will mind. The bigger picture of the team success is the most important thing not if Fernandes pride is hurt (which I don't think he will care he's playing with his idol for a few years he will takeover when Ronny leaves anyway)

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Any chance at all he comes in here and doesn't take the pens off Bruno? Surely Ole could intervene here as well. It's not as if he taken them off a guy who's inconsistent with them, either (like Rashford, for instance)

Status
Not open for further replies.