Cristiano Ronaldo - Man Utd Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Because it directly impacts the commercial revenue of the club going forward, which in turn determines what we can invest into our playing squad? I’m pretty sure everyone cares about that.
I meant the comparison to the amount of Messi shirts that had been purchased.

Giggsyking

doesnt matter how many we sell, the money goes to adidas.
Thats not true. 5-10% goes to the club, plus the name printing. United sold 3.3m shirts last year about 330m usd our profit from shirt sells is around 20m pounds.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I meant the comparison to the amount of Messi shirts that had been purchased.
Someone is giving a shit. It’s two of the best footballers of all time. Every single detail between the two of them will be compared.

captaincantona

I am delighted Ronaldo is back. His drive, attitude and winning mentality is exactly what we needed.

I do think he was willing to go to city...the well documented negotiations between Mendes and City, the need for a phone call from Fergie, the fact that no one has asked him out straight on camera how close he came as they are under strict orders that it doesn’t suit the narrative that he is somehow United through and through. He isn’t. But then very few are. He loves United and the fans but not more than his own legacy. Again, understandable and so I prefer to think of him in that way. A great player who I get to cheer on every week...not a player I feel is bleeds Man Utd as many fans do.

Before I get battered...If City had of paid Juve what they wanted ASAP...he would be a City player right now. how many here would have still sang his name if he had of gone to City and when asked how he could do that to Utd fans he said...well Utd didn’t come in for me so as a professional I chose to work with a great coach? He would still be vilified.

so in an attempt to remain balanced...I am going to just be glad he chose us...and Cheer him on as much as I do every other player...still think he is a legend in footballing terms but he isn’t an out and out Utd Legend for me. Gimme the romance of Cantona, the loyalty of Giggsy, Scholes or Ole or the will to drag a team across the finish line by themselves like Robson or Keane.

If he goes and wins us the Premiere League ot the Champions League though...I’ll happily forget him battinghis eyelids at Pep!

The Firestarter

It baffles me. I really try to understand it but I just don't get it. People act like they're family members or something. Is it just a yearning to belong to some sort of 'group'?
Yeah, probably. It is up to 11 these days, with inanimate objects as well.

Real Name

It baffles me. I really try to understand it but I just don't get it. People act like they're family members or something. Is it just a yearning to belong to some sort of 'group'?
Its either kids or a bit insecure grown ups.

Traub

Don't you feel it for United to some extent though? Is it so different to have an affinity to an individual instead of a team?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
i find it a little weird too. Fairly sure there are a few posters on here since Ronnie signed and you can already tell before a ball has been kicked that they will support the player > the club/manager etc. Fair enough? I hope he does the business for us and the rest of the players thrive around him. I’m not particularly interested in the Ronaldo or Messi show. I think Messi was the better player but I didn’t want us to sign him this summer. I just want the club to be good again!

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It’s media circus. This is not the fans doing all this research. This is what the media does.
The media doesn't account for the 24,000 posts in the Messi vs Ronaldo thread with the same posters going around in the same circles over and over again (not even including all the shite that has leaked from the containment thread into the rest of the football forum).

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don't you feel it for United to some extent though? Is it so different to have an affinity to an individual instead of a team?
Surely it is different. A club represents tradition, principles and in some cases a way of life and usually tend to exist for longer. An individual, especially a sportsman will be active for 15-20 years at best, and usually are focused on their own personal goals and achievements. So yes it is possible to admire certain aspects of an individual and try to emulate them in your own life, but it certainly can't be the same as supporting a club.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
This is probably the only transfer where this could have worked! Superstar footballer, low fee, massive fanbase...
I do think the idea that shirt sales don't matter and how spastic some nerds get about it is dumb.

7-10% of income from a source is still significant to a business. 10 percent of something like 2 mill (which is a very low number for shirt sales) is 200k

200k can buy you a lot of running costs for a youth facility

Traub

Surely it is different. A club represents tradition, principles and in some cases a way of life and usually tend to exist for longer. An individual, especially a sportsman will be active for 15-20 years at best, and usually are focused on their own personal goals and achievements. So yes it is possible to admire certain aspects of an individual and try to emulate them in your own life, but it certainly can't be the same as supporting a club.
I suppose you're right, but I've seen how some people can really support a tennis player / F1 driver and I think this isn't very different. I don't really understand it personally, but there must be something to it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
As an aside, any of you who have authentic United shirts through Ronalo's original run here plus however many years he stays for this time around, should keep them as immaculate as possible.

A couple of decades down the road, and you're probably sitting on a lot of money right there.

Nero

Adidas laughing all the way to the bank raking in the money off a Nike athlete.

Pogba's Barber

Supports
Droylsden FC
If my numbers are correct, the Ronaldo 7 shirt has outsold the fastest-selling games console ever; The Nintendo Switch, which sold 1.7 million units in its first week (in The Americas, Europe, and Australia)

ForeverRed1

I am delighted Ronaldo is back. His drive, attitude and winning mentality is exactly what we needed.

I do think he was willing to go to city...the well documented negotiations between Mendes and City, the need for a phone call from Fergie, the fact that no one has asked him out straight on camera how close he came as they are under strict orders that it doesn’t suit the narrative that he is somehow United through and through. He isn’t. But then very few are. He loves United and the fans but not more than his own legacy. Again, understandable and so I prefer to think of him in that way. A great player who I get to cheer on every week...not a player I feel is bleeds Man Utd as many fans do.

Before I get battered...If City had of paid Juve what they wanted ASAP...he would be a City player right now. how many here would have still sang his name if he had of gone to City and when asked how he could do that to Utd fans he said...well Utd didn’t come in for me so as a professional I chose to work with a great coach? He would still be vilified.

so in an attempt to remain balanced...I am going to just be glad he chose us...and Cheer him on as much as I do every other player...still think he is a legend in footballing terms but he isn’t an out and out Utd Legend for me. Gimme the romance of Cantona, the loyalty of Giggsy, Scholes or Ole or the will to drag a team across the finish line by themselves like Robson or Keane.

If he goes and wins us the Premiere League ot the Champions League though...I’ll happily forget him battinghis eyelids at Pep!
how do you know all this? You got insider information or just reading the media? If that’s to be believed then he also flirted with city knowing we wouldn’t let that happen. He wanted us, we just had to want him back. He looks genuinely chuffed to be here.

the reality is.. no one knows anything..

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
how do you know all this? You got insider information or just reading the media? If that’s to be believed then he also flirted with city knowing we wouldn’t let that happen. He wanted us, we just had to want him back. He looks genuinely chuffed to be here.

the reality is.. no one knows anything..
Tell that to @Swoobs and it's a logical fallacy.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I see no reason why he wouldn't start tomorrow. Had a pre-season with Juve and has played in 2 ( i think) international matches. Also been training all week.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I don't know why people care about this. What does it even mean that one is more popular than the other? It's like something only children would care about.
I don’t care about it to be honest but seeing the Messi vs Ronaldo thread, I knew some would on this forum, and so I posted this.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Let's go Ronnie.

Status
Not open for further replies.