Cristiano Ronaldo - Man Utd Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTiger

Half mast
I've been absolutely over the moon today but I've entered an inevitable trough in my roller-coaster feelings. I need reassurance about something guys, I need you lot to tell me that this is nothing like Robbie fowler going back to Liverpool. There aren't any parallels with Robbie going Liverpool?

Pronewbie

Peep
That Juve team was comically lacking creativity compared to our side, and you can’t say he went missing in key games while still scoring 29 in 33 but praise the Lukaku signing for Chelsea.
Hope you read my later posts because I’m positive about this move on the whole, just that I want him to get back to his best and prove that last season was an anomaly. His lofty standards certainly slipped especially in key games.

A prime example would be that Porto game that knocked Juve out.

Anyway, these kinds of posts belong to the newly created performance thread. This is the positive, hype thread we deserve.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I've been absolutely over the moon today but I've entered an inevitable trough in my roller-coaster feelings. I need reassurance about something guys, I need you lot to tell me that this is nothing like Robbie fowler going back to Liverpool. There aren't any parallels with Robbie going Liverpool?
Ronaldo is the goat, Robbie Fowler is not.
That's the end of that.

WPMUFC

Christ....can you imagine the HT team chat if we are down 1-0 and you have both Bruno and Ronaldo wanting to murder you?

Bruno and Ronaldo - Bad cop/Bad cop wanting to kick Fred in the head. :lol: :drool:

AndyMUFC

Amazing day. Can't wait to see him play for us again.

Guessing the news about Cavani and Uruguay this season has played a part in it too but what a buzz it will be for the team to have him in the dressing room.

cyril C

Leaving the excitement behind..Does anyone think that it can unsettle the team in any form ?
Yes, James the 1st man down (on top of Amad of course), Martial probably since Cavani and CR will split the season as #9. I don't think we will see both Cavani and CR starting at the same time otherwise too many ageing legs, but if they do, then CR most probably on the left. Rashford will be next, but since he won't be back until Oct, so wait and see how CR and Cavani settle first. (am assuming Sancho will take the RW spot 30+ game a season.

Am not too excited by CR return, since Cavani stays for another season. But anyway, let's see how they work out.

DoomSlayer

Surely the club has to arrange a grand unveiling in front of a packed Old Trafford? It's the only way to do it justice.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Leaving the excitement behind..Does anyone think that it can unsettle the team in any form ?
The complete opposite.

Take Sancho for instance, where he might have felt pressure to perform being the big money signing this summer, that pressure is completely gone and he can get on with his business.

The likes of rashford in particular will be buzzing to be playing with his idol.

And he's a fecking winner. You think we lose to villa real last season with winners like Ronaldo and varane in the team? Mate.

Droid_Repairs

There's not really much of a comparison to be made in fairness.

1) SAF wanted to keep Ronaldo but respectfully let him go. Houllier wanted Fowler gone because he had better options in Owen and Heskey.

2) Fowler was a decent striker, never did much at international level, and wasn't very versatile. Ronaldo can play on either flank or up front, he's won everything except the World Cup and is considered the greatest of all time by many.

3) Fowler returned to Liverpool washed-up, past it, and on the back of scoring only 20 goals in 80 league appearances for City. Ronaldo is in peak physical condition, as fit as a 24 year old, and is currently scoring 20 goals a season.

Nothing to worry about.

DoomSlayer

The complete opposite.

Take Sancho for instance, where he might have felt pressure to perform being the big money signing this summer, that pressure is completely gone and he can get on with his business.

The likes of rashford in particular will be buzzing to be playing with his idol.

And he's a fecking winner. You think we lose to villa real last season with winners like Ronaldo and varane in the team? Mate.
I was particularly thinking about Sancho and how the focus isn't on him anymore, which is fantastic. It could make it easier for him to settle in the team.

mckenzie79

Ronaldo is the goat, Robbie Fowler is not.
That's the end of that.
Robbie Fowler was outstanding for a while, but he can never be compared to Ronaldo

Ronaldo has done so much more, achieved everything there is to win, he chose to come home, and he never, ever sniffed a goal line like it was cocaine.

That pretty much covers it.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The complete opposite.

I can't think of any player feeling negative about this. Maybe martial and not to be harsh to one of our own but I don't think that's a concern.

If one wants to be negative we can always find exceptions and cons to this but the positives are endless.

Ronaldo knows his role. He knows this is his last chance to secure himself as a proper legend of world football.

Come back to your teenage club to win the league after 8 years of nothing would be the ultimate achievement imo.

Hoof the ball

In terms of physical fitness, muscular strength and endurance, a 36 year old Ronaldo is not atypical of even your average footballer. There's a highly performing Lewandowski at 33 performing like he's 27/28. Ronaldo is performing at typically very early 30's levels, which is to say that he's still in an extended late-peak.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I just can't believe this has happened. What a rollercoaster 24 hours....I'm 34 years of age, 2 kids, a mortgage...
Jesus fecking Christ I'm so giddy

Droid_Repairs

Today has been mental hasn't it?

What are the names of those Ronaldo ultras who post here? And...are they okay?

meamth

Nobody credits Ole for that presser vs Wolves?

He single handedly and openly said we're on for Ronaldo.

JB7

Nobody credits Ole for that presser vs Wolves?

He single handedly and openly said we're on for Ronaldo.
I thought at the time it was a masterstroke. Left the world in no doubt that we wanted him, that way if he went to City it was completely on him. Obviously we know now that he already knew the wheels were well in motion and his eyes probably gave that away a couple of times looking back. What a guy.

RetroStu

Only just heard the news,. Got all goosebumpy and dropped my Xbox controller. :lol:
Always said he would be back at some point.

Kearnkoff69

If anyone wasn’t able to follow this, check out the transfer thread from about midday onwards. It was absolutely mental, refreshing every few minutes and it felt like there was a new development. Never seen anything like it.
It was an epic thread to be a part of. Today was mental.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
I don't know whether Ronaldo will still do a fantastic job for us this season, but his arrival back home will cause many welcome things. As others have commented he will take the pressure off Sancho and Varane, they will be able to bed themselves in with much less media scrutiny. One of the biggest bonuses is psychological. The fact that he turned City down once United came calling is a mark of the respect he still holds for the club, and therefore how important and relevant we still are. The other players will be given a great boost and hope we will be able to keep up a title challenge to the end. And most importantly the fans! The fans will be on cloud nine and will help lift the team by their very excitement at the return of one of our own legends. For Unied it is a win-win situation. As I said at the start, I cannot say for sure that Ronnie will do a fantastic job because my crystal ball is at the repairers at the moment. But I think he will lift the team and if he stays fit we will win the title in 2022/23 if not this season.

bugmat

Haven't been on here in a little while but had to log in to say "Football, bloody hell!" #welcomehome #cr7

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It was an epic thread to be a part of. Today was mental.
Following the presser expecting Ole to avoid the topic of him going to City and then he says something which makes everyone realize that United are in for him. Never seen anything like it. Literally nobody reported that we were in for him until Ole made a hopeful comment. And then it blew up.

Lj82

I’m parking any thoughts about what this means from a footballing perspective for as long as possible. Give it a go. Just bathe in the warm and fuzzy feeling. This is about as romantic as football gets. Switch off your cortex and use the reptile brain only. He’s coming home :devil:
Yeah exactly.
I don't know how the football will be like. But at the end of the day I'm just happy he chose us over city. Keeps the romance in football.

Was having breakfast in my new utd away jersey and someone shouted "Ronaldo" at me. Oh the buzz this transfer has created is amazing

RedDevilRoshi

Adding on a few more details (not a copy-paste) from above posts . They essentially say that Ronaldo to City was virtually imminent yesterday.. before Chief strategist Fergie and Co. finally "woke up" and went about a last ditch hijacking in the final 24 hours.

Agents SAF, Rio, Bruno, Evra, Ole,

Fergie:
Heart of the Strategy. Ferguson is described as playing a “major role” over the 24 hours, phoning Ronaldo, and using his good relationship with Jorge Mendes. He repeatedly pressed Ole to make it happen. He called the United Board to ensure they were doing everything possible "or all hell would break loose" among fans and beyond.

Rio: Almost acting as a broker on behalf of United. Had a passionate conversation with long-time United team-mate, who was genuinely inquisitive about the impact moving to City might have on his United legacy. Counselling Ronaldo over hurt seeing him joining City might cause, set against the joy that returning to OT would bring him and United fans. He's also close to Woodward and made sure United were informed over the financial details. He was still up at 1.30am, sending messages to get the deal moving.

Bruno: Pressed his Portugal captain over phone and text

Evra: Exchanged voicenotes/messages on WhatsApp

Ole: Personally interevened, having also realised he couldn't allow a legendary figure like Ronaldo to go to local rivals without a fight. Long term damage to the club in the eyes of fans and future recruits. Looked at benefits of bring him back: the comeback story, the ultra-professionalism he would bring, etc. He called Woody to hijack the deal, who then agreed instantly to start negotiating.

Rooney: Possibly had a word to Ronaldo as well (article is unclear on this) hence his confidence when asked yesterday.

Woodward: Quick and effiecient negotiation with Agnelli - (the pair having grown closer during the planning for the mooted Super League :lol: :lol:). Glazers also saw it as a Brady - Tampa move so was given the green light.

It was an avalanche of affection that worked. It is believed Ronaldo had given his word to United by 10.30am that morning, before Ole's presser. Current squad are reportedly ecstatic to see him join!
Wow, thanks for sharing this.

You could make a film out of that.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
That Juve team was comically lacking creativity compared to our side, and you can’t say he went missing in key games while still scoring 29 in 33 but praise the Lukaku signing for Chelsea.
They had Dybala but my Juventus supporting friend used to tell me they sometimes find it difficult to play them both together. So this United team is a completely different animal to Juve. Bruno, Pogba, Sancho, Shaw. We lack finisher so Ronaldo would fit in nicely. Looks like 12/13 where we had midfielders consisting of Ando, Cleverley and Carrick but very potent attack. If Matic was a bit younger, let's say 28, we'd win the league I have no doubt. Feed him Korean ginseng or something. As much as I hate saying this, we need him.

Last edited:

RetroStu

thought i would see what Bluremoon are saying, so clicked on the Ronaldo thread and the very fist post i see is saying how City turned him down, and he had to settle on us.:D

Gazza

Ibrahimovic's first season for us was pretty good. He was 34. Ronaldo is probably 1.5 times as good as Zlatan was so the math says we should be alright?

RedTiger

Half mast
I can't think of any player feeling negative about this. Maybe martial and not to be harsh to one of our own but I don't think that's a concern.

If one wants to be negative we can always find exceptions and cons to this but the positives are endless.

Ronaldo knows his role. He knows this is his last chance to secure himself as a proper legend of world football.

Come back to your teenage club to win the league after 8 years of nothing would be the ultimate achievement imo.
I think he'll also have the incentive of rising on our all time scorers list.

He's currently on number 18 on our list with 118 goals. If he only scores 33 goals in the next 2 years, he'll surpass 11th place RVN on 150 goals.

On the other hand if he plays here for 3 years and gets his Juve numbers, he'll go into 4th place behind Denis Law.

Fingers crossed :D

Wayne Rooney
Sir Bobby Charlton249
Denis Law237
Jack Rowley211
Dennis Viollet179
George Best179
Joe Spence168
Ryan Giggs168
Mark Hughes163
Paul Scholes155
Ruud van Nistelrooy150
Stan Pearson148
David Herd145
Tommy Taylor131
Brian McClair127
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer126
Andy Cole121
Cristiano Ronaldo118

Skeezix

Still giddy over this.

What a signing..!! Ronaldo will be a huge influence in that dressing room. Especially with younger players like Cavani and Matic.

lex talionis

This is the biggest mistake this club can make. We already have an ageing Cavani, now an ageing Ronaldo. What happens to Mason now? Reduced playing time.
I have felt for a while now that OGS is a coward. He keeps giving young plyers 1 or 2 isolated games. Apart from Mason 9 an exceptional talent) he has not given anyone else a long run. Elenga had a great pre season but James is still given time ahead of him, same for Diallo. Even OGS must reliase that that Lingard can never be a part of a PL or CL winning team, so why is he playing. Why was he a sub against Saints while Hannibal was not even on the bench.
I can see in a couple of years
Mason asking for a transfer as he is not getting playing time
Hannibal, Elanga, Diallo doing a Pogba and going off to Dortmund or Juve or Leipzig
We are going backwards not forwards. I have followed United since the early fifties and apart from when we were relegated I cannot remeber a time when I felt we were making so many mistakes as now, given the money were are spending
Look at the bright side: it’s a good thing we have Elanga and Diallo to carry the club on their shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.