Cristiano Ronaldo - Man Utd Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Tbh mate, my feeling is that this is his plan. He wants to come here and do two things:

a) break Rooney's record; &

b) match or surpass Messi's 6 (likely 7 now due to the Copa America win) Ballon d'Ors.

I think he's going to be here for the three seasons at a minimum and if we're going well, I think he's getting another year or two on top of that.

It's difficult and for literally any other person in any other comparative field I'd have said it was impossible, but Ronaldo defies convention. He's still having the same productivity at the very top level as he did when he was at his peak. And looking at videos of his time at Juve this season just gone (which didn't just include his goals, but also his all-round play) his acceleration and speed is still pretty much enough for anyone he came up against. He isn't going to be found physically wanting at all.

The hope for me is that just like Cantona, he becomes the totem around which this young team grows. And if that does happen then honestly, I can't help but tip my hat to the club for it. It's a potential masterstroke and his impact could reverberate for years after he's gone and would solidify his legend status at Utd, perhaps even putting him on that hallowed pantheon which tbh I never thought he would have reached after he left and had his peak years with Madrid.
Come on man. He isn’t and won’t score 130+ goals in his stint here no matter how long that is. Rashford and Greenwood if they spend their entire careers here have a chance of breaking Rooney’s record.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I was thinking more match sharpness, considering he hasnt played much this season and hasnt had a proper pre-season.
Yeah but we have UCL starting up in a couple of weeks. He will be fine. He always looks after himself well. He has got plenty of games coming up over the next couple of months.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I must be a rare breed as a United fan who thinks signing Ronaldo is a backward step for the club on the pitch. He is just so static these days and just relies on others to do the hard graft and expects the ball to land the ball on his feet or head to score. If things don't go his way he will moan and wave his hands about affecting the team chemistry.

I suspect he could really struggle with the physical and fast-paced aspect of the Premiership. If it turns out he can't hack it in the Premiership will Ole have the guts to drop him or sub him off during a game?

PS: I'm not just going off tonight's game. You won't find a post of mine being in favour or excited by his signing.
I agree to an extent; stylistically I’d much prefer a more fluid attack with everyone contributing an equal-ish amount of goals. Our 19/20 season was perfect in that sense with Mason, Martial, and Rashford all on 20+ goals in all comps + Bruno coming in midway in getting 10+.

Ronaldo will probably score a good portion of goals, and do well on an individual basis, but I do think it’s a step forward step back in terms of squad balance, attacking profiles etc etc.

… But then also, this is Ronaldo returning. Sensible analysis goes out the window a bit

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Like an old Rashford :drool:
Honestly, Rashford, Ronaldo, and Bruno are very similar players in that sense. They can coast through games with very low bottom levels, but then all of a sudden go overdrive and mask it up with important G/As.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If he hadn’t scored last night, he would be staying to play against Qatar.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Excellent that hes gonna be in early. Hopefully he starts training and we can have him start against Newcastle.

NK86

Sinclair is correct. He did have a bad game prior to his goals.
That's alright. That's nothing new. Many genuine match winners have poor games only to come up with moments of brilliance to take their team over the line. Instead of accepting that, he seems to be digging his heels in that Ronaldo will struggle in the PL.

Gonçalo Motta

That's alright. That's nothing new. Many genuine match winners have poor games only to come up with moments of brilliance to take their team over the line. Instead of accepting that, he seems to be digging his heels in that Ronaldo will struggle in the PL.
His first half was really weak and he seemed way too eager to get that record. In the second half, he was actually good and looked dangerous overall.
Not his greatest game ever but he was pretty decent in the second half while giving the victory to Portugal.

Not sure why some people are complaining about his performance.

RUCK4444

What do we think the likelihood of him starting against Newcastle will be?

I’m thinking of travelling up, first game in a while after latest Baby arrived. Don’t want to miss him being unveiled and his first start.

If Ole doesn’t start him I’ll be gutted :lol:

RetroStu

His first half was really weak and he seemed way too eager to get that record. In the second half, he was actually good and looked dangerous overall.
Not his greatest game ever but he was pretty decent in the second half while giving the victory to Portugal.

Not sure why some people are complaining about his performance.
Yeah i saw it the same way. Poor first half, but grew into the game big time in the second half, and he created 3 or 4 pretty decent chances for himself.

He just needs the games for his fitness.

RetroStu

I’m thinking of travelling up, first game in a while after latest Baby arrived. Don’t want to miss him being unveiled and his first start.

He's starting 100% imo. Especialy now we know he's coming back early to train.
Ole already said 'He's not coming here to sit on the bench' when he was asked about Ronaldo and the Newcastle game.
Also the potential lift to the players, and fans in the stadium seeing Ronaldo walk out of that tunnel, well i just cant see him not starting.

USREDEVIL

Gotta start him; he's having a week off to train, already prepared by the looks of it, and everyone wants it. Imagine how anticlimactic it would be to sit him on the bench for his first United re-appearance!

RUCK4444

He's starting 100% imo. Especialy now we know he's coming back early to train.
Ole already said 'He's not coming here to sit on the bench' when he was asked about Ronaldo and the Newcastle game.
Also the potential lift to the players, and fans in the stadium seeing Ronaldo walk out of that tunnel, well i just cant see him not starting.
Gotta start him; he's having a week off to train, already prepared by the looks of it, and everyone wants it. Imagine how anticlimactic it would be to sit him on the bench for his first United re-appearance!
Cheers guys. I agree, just needed a few other opinions on it. :D

Like you say, having this extra time to train and it would be so anticlimactic to not start him.

That’s me booked. I’ve waited long enough to see the man back in Red! :devil:

BetRed

Some of the opinions on here are ridiculous.

Opinions like, "Poor first half, more lively in the second. Overallt not a good game but scored twice."

It just tells you the ridiculous expectations you have for a player like him. Cavani was by far our best No.9 before Ronaldo and Ronaldo IMO is couple of levels better, at everything. He's faster, better technique, better goal scorer, poacher, header of the ball, better striker of the ball, better att passing defenders. Literally everything Cavani would have done for us, Ronaldo is at least twice as good. He's the best No.9 in the league. Yes that means better than Kane, Lukaku etc. They don't have one year of outscoring him in his career.

If a player scores a goal in stoppage time it completely throws around the rating of his match performance. So, imagine scoring twice in stoppage time and turning the game around completely. There's three players that can do that. Messi, Ronaldo and Lewandowski. No one else is even close to their finishing. To think things like that "just happen" and to not include it in the complete match analysis is plain stupid. He did his job, won them the game, became the goat of international football and is coming home. Just relax and enjoy him scoring more than the rest of our front line combined.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Having watched the game from an Irish perspective it felt like he was playing at about 25% safe in the assumption his teammates could do enough to either score themselves or assist him. When this didn't happen and it looked like they would lose he went superhuman mode in the final ten minutes and scored two goals at the end to win the game - he's a freak.

Gonçalo Motta

Come on man. He isn’t and won’t score 130+ goals in his stint here no matter how long that is. Rashford and Greenwood if they spend their entire careers here have a chance of breaking Rooney’s record.
He scored 101 goals for Juventus in 3 seasons and already has 118 for Manchester United. With a similar output, he would be around 220 goals by the end of the third season and that's 33 goals off from Rooney's total.

It's not impossible but it's not gonna happen either. I would be surprised if he achieved 200 total goals for us tbh.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Tbh mate, my feeling is that this is his plan. He wants to come here and do two things:

a) break Rooney's record; &

b) match or surpass Messi's 6 (likely 7 now due to the Copa America win) Ballon d'Ors.

I think he's going to be here for the three seasons at a minimum and if we're going well, I think he's getting another year or two on top of that.

It's difficult and for literally any other person in any other comparative field I'd have said it was impossible, but Ronaldo defies convention. He's still having the same productivity at the very top level as he did when he was at his peak. And looking at videos of his time at Juve this season just gone (which didn't just include his goals, but also his all-round play) his acceleration and speed is still pretty much enough for anyone he came up against. He isn't going to be found physically wanting at all.

The hope for me is that just like Cantona, he becomes the totem around which this young team grows. And if that does happen then honestly, I can't help but tip my hat to the club for it. It's a potential masterstroke and his impact could reverberate for years after he's gone and would solidify his legend status at Utd, perhaps even putting him on that hallowed pantheon which tbh I never thought he would have reached after he left and had his peak years with Madrid.
We're all excited, but this hilariously silly.

3 seasons "minimum"?
He's 37 in Feb! You think he'll still be here at 39, and entering a 4th season turning 40? Come on.

And he'd need 50 goals a season to be beating Rooney, which even with the shocking defending in this league won't happen, as 42 was his max here in his world class B'allon D'or days.
We'd need to win the champions league for him to win another one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.