Cristiano Ronaldo - Man Utd Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

meamth

Wow i still can't believe it, i was updating our site and Fabrizios when "BOOOOM", we announced that the deal was a Here we go!" - and i just frozed up and couldn't move or say anything for at least 2 min before starting to laugh like a moron and my wife asked me what was going. And when i told here she ran to me and just hugged me and I got tear my eyes, and i looked at her and she had tears as well, we both just looked at each other with tears in our eyes for a minute before starting to sing "Viva Ronaldo" and i can't remember football made me so happy. No matter the results of this transfer, no matter trophies, how many goals/assists he provides - this is so much bigger! Cirkel of life. I just want to say that I love all you United fans, the club, SAF, the players, Ole and football! In hard times, somehow, it can always make you happy - and i am so grateful my father introduced me to this wonderful sport and specielly this amazing team almost 30 years ago. I really hope every person has a passion for something in life, besides the obvious things like family, friends etc, like we real football fans do.

Once again, thank you Manchester United for everything.
Why I'm teary eyes reading this and all those flashbacks with Ronaldo haunting me.

Nostalgia is a beautiful thing.

ti vu

Why did he want to leave Juve? Did something go wrong there?
Allegri has had fall out with different players throughout his managerial career. He and Ronaldo seem to have fallen out. After sacking Allegri, Juventus couldn't replace him. Now he's back, they think it's better to end Ronaldo project, so they can rebuild.

knot_buzz

This is just still so hard to believe.

I had a Scottish mate rubbing it in all day yesterday at work that he was city bound :devil: i can't wait for Monday.

Markey

I think he moved to Juventus and the Serie A to win a CL with a team from there.

That was not going to happen. I also think Juventus couldn't afford him anymore. Alongside him being subbed out quite some times - think he just felt it was the time.
Yeah and when they signed him they would have worked out his wages and what they could afford etc etc. Then covid happened...

I have read some reports that imply that Juve may well have asked him to find another club.

ash_86

Why did he want to leave Juve? Did something go wrong there?
There was a aftermath video from Fab after Ronaldo transfer where he describes initially why Ronaldo wanted to leave Juv. Basically they promised a top team around him when he initially came and first year backed it up with MDL. Last season they were supposed to bring in Pogba but covid struck and their finances dropped significantly. This season the only incoming has been Locatelli and that did not move well with Ronaldo. So he wanted to look for options.

RetroStu

I think he will play until 40yo, and still will probably be banging in 20+ goals a season. Not saying that will be for us though ha.
People get too hooked up on ages these days, which is weird as its not the beer swilling 1960's anymore. Ronaldo will do the business for us.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think he will play until 40yo, and still will probably be banging in 20+ goals a season. Not saying that will be for us though ha.
People get too hooked up on ages these days, which is weird as its not the beer swilling 1960's anymore. Ronaldo will do the business for us.
No doubt. His level of professionalism is high and with smart management, he will be able to perform highly for a while still.

tenpoless

Age is not issue until it becomes an issue. The thing is he is still faster, stronger and more clinical than most of footballers these days. And thats all matters.

Dante

Average bang
What's the quarantine situation for Italy/Portugal? How soon will he be allowed to train at Carrington?

RetroStu

No doubt. His level of professionalism is high and with smart management, he will be able to perform highly for a while still.
And he chose the toughest league to come to. That tells me he's hungry to show he's still got it, and is up for the challenge.
A hungry Ronaldo spells danger|!. :D

Dudu

Makes you wonder why we had to pay a transfer fee. City were trying to sign him on a free by all accounts.
Multiple souces including the Athletic Exclusive are reporting Juve were always adamant on a fee because they wanted to offset some of his existing deal (on his 2nd last year), and City were willing to pay it - before United swooped in.

And FFS. 15M Euros for Cristiano Ronaldo? Why is this even a conversation. Yes his wages are huge, but it's also just a 2 year contract and (among other a plethora of other reasons), there simply isn't a more marketable player.

Pickle85

This is the biggest mistake this club can make. We already have an ageing Cavani, now an ageing Ronaldo. What happens to Mason now? Reduced playing time.
I have felt for a while now that OGS is a coward. He keeps giving young plyers 1 or 2 isolated games. Apart from Mason 9 an exceptional talent) he has not given anyone else a long run. Elenga had a great pre season but James is still given time ahead of him, same for Diallo. Even OGS must reliase that that Lingard can never be a part of a PL or CL winning team, so why is he playing. Why was he a sub against Saints while Hannibal was not even on the bench.
I can see in a couple of years
Mason asking for a transfer as he is not getting playing time
Hannibal, Elanga, Diallo doing a Pogba and going off to Dortmund or Juve or Leipzig
We are going backwards not forwards. I have followed United since the early fifties and apart from when we were relegated I cannot remeber a time when I felt we were making so many mistakes as now, given the money were are spending
So signing Ronaldo makes OGS a coward? Get a grip mate, we just re-signed a former United great and still one of the best at what he does in the business. If this is your reaction to that, where do you find any enjoyment in football as a whole?

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I was pinching and slapping myself in work today, at one point genuinely thought I was dreaming :lol:
I had to deal with a bunch of sour faces at work. I have coworkers from Liverpool, Chelsea , City and Spurs. They know what's bound to happen now so they're not too happy.:devil:
I can't sleep heart rate been up since the morning!
Same..It's 2 am and I'm still going strong.
Don't. You'll wake up to Gaitan joining United.
I won't :nervous:

pass.pass.pass

I was with my fiance for a few hours last night and had not checked my phone the whole day, and then late at night when I did I was fully expecting to see news of Ronaldo joining City but saw that he had in fact come back to United. I just stared at the phone for a long minute. Unbelievable. I hope he can win us the league and champions league double.

Utd77

The signing of the summer, a colossal move, and Pogba is no longer the big fish in the dressing room....

SpaceAttacker

One question I’d love to see answered, is why Juventus got WORSE after signing Ronaldo.

From a cursory search, it looks like part of the reason is that Ronaldo tends to attract the final ball from his teammates a little too much.

That leads to lots of shots and goals for him, but fewer spread out through the rest of the team.

Our top scorers without him would likely have been Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho. Perhaps you can also add Cavani to the list of people you’d bet on to top 10 goals this season.

Juventus had only Higuain, Dybala, and later Morata and Chiesa.

So United having more goalscorers could help us avoid this as long as we don’t fall into frustrating patterns of playing the ball wide and relying on crosses landing on Ronaldo’s head.

Bruno and Pogba are big stars in their own right, so hopefully they’ll judge each attacking situation on its merit as opposed to being sucked into the path of least resistance by Ronaldo’s gravity.

The next issue caused by Ronaldo’s presence at Juventus was his massive fees, and salary. I’ve seen estimates that the deal cost Juventus $100 Million a year and prevented them from investing properly in the squad.

I don’t know enough about United’s finances except that generally the guys in charge keep a handle on the budget.

Aside from that we have a good mix of youth ( Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Shaw, Lingard), players entering their prime (Bruno, Maguire, Pogba), and seasoned veterans (Varane, Cavani, Matic). A better balance than Juventus, who seemed to be signing lots of older players on free transfers a few years ago.

We will still need to refresh the squad annually, especially in midfield.

But with saleable assets like Dalot, James, Martial, Tuanzebe, we should be able to manage.

There are also unknown quantities like VdB, Amad, Pellestri, Garner, Shoretire and Elanga. They all have youth on their side so should be able to either contribute to the first team, rotation, or being sold to finance new signings.

One factor that I can’t stop thinking about is how good we looked at set pieces this past weekend.

Maybe they are doing something in training for which Ronaldo could be the missing piece. A tweet from a major United journalist seemed to imply that.

Either way. Interesting times. I personally probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on this transfer just based off the fact that I’d know I was acting out of emotion rather than logic.

But the fear of being irrational and emotional might be keeping me from seeing how he fits into the squad.

In Ole We Trust I guess.

gorky_utd

Just a curious thought came to my mind. How many current PL players have played at highbury?

Status
Not open for further replies.