Cristiano Ronaldo - Man Utd Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virror

I follow all of sport and can say that Ronaldo is special. The only other athlete that is so dedicated is Ole Einar Bjørndalen. They have both changed their home into something that can make them stay at top for longer than anyone else. They just have a dedication that is impossible for most people after a long career. They were the best at their prime, but they remained the best because their dedication and other worldly work.
Jaromir jagr is still playing hockey at 49

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Ballbag strikes again.
Classic Pro Pep garbage.

Why would they have to sell a string of players who aren't even proper strikers anyway?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Ballbag strikes again.
So there's a chat group with the various presidents of European clubs where they discuss who's available for sale and United is not in there despite spending one of the most every year? :lol:

Real Name

How does Ballbag make a living? Is he a journalist somewhere, writes a column or by spouting shite like that wherever he can?
He comes across as someone who completely made up his profession - la liga expert and is going around with it.

predator

Youth NITK
I enjoyed that. He is going to score alot of goals for us again.

What interests me is the whole dynamic of him returning. He arrived here 18 years ago as a teenager, spent 6 years here, became arguably the best player ever and has been consistently the same level since.

I wonder just how good his memory is of actually playing for us, his familiarity with the training facilities, with the city of Manchester, with the area he lives etc. My memory of something let's say 15 years ago for arguments sake is very blur. I would've been 12 years of age then so maybe that explains that. Do 36 year old remember their early twenties well in general?

It's mad to think he could play 3 seasons with us and that would equal his time at madrid (which seemed to go on and on) and also if he still played for us in 2023 - 20 years after making his debut. That would be incredible.

Saturday is going to be special.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Pep's comments just hours before Ronaldo announcement was made tells you all you need to know. "Players like Ronaldo decide where they wanna play" He decided on United and city fans and ABU's rewriting the narrative to fit the story that suits them just smacks of desperation.
Yeh. Mendes had been hawking his client around for a year or two. City was able to buy Grealish for 100m this summer. City would get Ronaldo first, if money was the problem; as no club was willing to get Grealish for 100m. So Grealish purchase could wait until City sold some, if true City had money's problem (ha!)

Well i guess it's hard making money nowadays for "journalist".

sugar_kane

Watching all these ABU journalists have a collective breakdown just makes me know we’re on the right track.

Also that Wes Brown video is excellent, never seen Ronny so down to earth and humble.

Chip

I follow all of sport and can say that Ronaldo is special. The only other athlete that is so dedicated is Ole Einar Bjørndalen. They have both changed their home into something that can make them stay at top for longer than anyone else. They just have a dedication that is impossible for most people after a long career. They were the best at their prime, but they remained the best because their dedication and other worldly work.
I'm pretty sure LeBron James and Tom Brady beg to differ.

Gasmeter

Can't wait for tomorrow, but feel a bit gutted my Ronaldo top won't have arrived for it. Ordered the works from the Man United Store online the day his number was announced. Authentic top, personalisation, Premier League badges... since then, let's just say I will probably get it around Christmas time if I'm lucky.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Have United’s Twitter account milked this enough yet?
Honestly, the social media people will be loving this. They are even getting rival fans tweeting them.

From a metrics perspective a hate tweet counts as much as a supportive one. Clearly their data is indicating high engagement, hence why they keep pushing and pushing.

When the marketing people take this to advertisers they will sell it as 'reach.' This is the impact of Ronaldo, pay us X and he can be associated with your product.

The commercial side will squeeze everything out of this they can...

...and I don't blame them!

Personally I'm loving it. :lol:

Glorio

Liked the vid a lot, there was a point where he was talking about how with the fans help, we can win things. The passion from him was genuine and palpable - he's desperate to win, he really seems to believe we can, and it appears the man will do his utmost to pull everyone in that direction.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I love the bit after five and a half minutes, where Ronaldo talks about how the feeling is different in Manchester cos the people saw him grow from being a boy to a man. I think that's absolutely bang on.

No group of fans loves him like United fans. He was the kid older fans took under their wing, or the kid their age who was living their dream or the bigger kid they looked up to. I don't think any other group of fans, even Portugal fans, has that relationship with him. @SportingCP96 may tell me differently but I seem to remember people in Portugal thinking Quaresma would be the bigger star. United fans are the fans who have believed in him most since he was 18 years old. And just look what he's become.

He's grown into something more than even we dreamed about when we first saw him against Bolton.

Forgive me for being giddy, cos I know the man is 36. However, he is better now than when he left. He might not dribble as much, he keeps the tricks in reserve a tad more. However, the Ronaldo that's coming back is even better than the Ronaldo that scored against Porto from 40m out. His finishing off either foot is much better. His consistency in front of goal is much better. His movement in and around the box is much better. His overall footballing intelligence is much better.

Honestly, and this may all blow up in my face and be thrown back at me, I don't think the Premier League understands how good Cristiano Ronaldo still is.

ROFLUTION

Unclear on how credible, but it's apparently their own research based of "Data compiled from sales figures across 1,000+ global retailers."

See here: https://www.lovethesales.com/press/articles/football-shirt-sales

Cheers. It seems a guesstimate, when they don't go into detail but just state data from +1,000 global retailers. but sounds like it could be within that range.

How much pr shirt do we get? Or do Adidas get it all?

Dante

Average bang
Unclear on how credible, but it's apparently their own research based of "Data compiled from sales figures across 1,000+ global retailers."

That's pretty incredible.

He cost United £12.9m in transfer fee, then another ~£50m in wages for the next two seasons. The shirt sales have already covered the first part. I think he's also guaranteed to bring in at least another £50m in sponsorship and prize money. Not to mention a whole new generation of foreign fans wanting to follow United again.

This transfer is such an easy win for the club. There's almost no way we can lose with it.

Kramer

That's pretty incredible.

He cost United £12.9m in transfer fee, then another ~£50m in wages for the next two seasons. The shirt sales have already covered the first part. I think he's also guaranteed to bring in at least another £50m in sponsorship and prize money. Not to mention a whole new generation of foreign fans wanting to follow United again.

This transfer is such an easy win for the club. There's almost no way we can lose with it.
Not to mention we’ll be paying Juve over 5 years. So if you factor in time value of money, we’re way better off than just covering his fixed transfer fee.

Dudu

Cheers. It seems a guesstimate, when they don't go into detail but just state data from +1,000 global retailers. but sounds like it could be within that range.

How much pr shirt do we get? Or do Adidas get it all?
Kit manufacturers make the vast bulk of the $, and clubs will generally get a range of 7 - 15% commission. So the constantly put out notion of 'transfer fees being paid off my shirt sales' is a myth. However, as pointed out above, this could be a rare case it which it could actually be true? :D

Looks like this source is assuming that United are getting about 7%.

Last edited:

Dudu

doesnt matter how many we sell, the money goes to adidas.
Adidas get the bulk, but United still get a commission, rumoured to be between 7 - 10%. IIRC the Athletic reported it as 8% in the Ronaldo exclusive a few weeks back.

tomaldinho1

So there's a chat group with the various presidents of European clubs where they discuss who's available for sale and United is not in there despite spending one of the most every year? :lol:
Ballbag is honestly one of the least objective journos around, anything to do with Pep or Messi and he loses sight of any balance whatsoever and just writes as if possessed, presumably because if he makes it a big article/lots of words people think this must be right. If you analyse it however, he could self power a hot air balloon with the amount he spouts.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't know why people care about this. What does it even mean that one is more popular than the other? It's like something only children would care about.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Even though Ronaldo is a more marketable player than Messi without a shadow of a doubt this has more to do with the club rather than the player. If we had bought Messi and if Ronaldo went to PSG, Messi would easily be leading shirt sales with the size of our fan base.

redmanx

I love the bit after five and a half minutes, where Ronaldo talks about how the feeling is different in Manchester cos the people saw him grow from being a boy to a man. I think that's absolutely bang on.

No group of fans loves him like United fans. He was the kid older fans took under their wing, or the kid their age who was living their dream or the bigger kid they looked up to. I don't think any other group of fans, even Portugal fans, has that relationship with him. @SportingCP96 may tell me differently but I seem to remember people in Portugal thinking Quaresma would be the bigger star. United fans are the fans who have believed in him most since he was 18 years old. And just look what he's become.

He's grown into something more than even we dreamed about when we first saw him against Bolton.

Forgive me for being giddy, cos I know the man is 36. However, he is better now than when he left. He might not dribble as much, he keeps the tricks in reserve a tad more. However, the Ronaldo that's coming back is even better than the Ronaldo that scored against Porto from 40m out. His finishing off either foot is much better. His consistency in front of goal is much better. His movement in and around the box is much better. His overall footballing intelligence is much better.

Honestly, and this may all blow up in my face and be thrown back at me, I don't think the Premier League understands how good Cristiano Ronaldo still is.
I read today that Ronaldo is already looking to extend his contract with us; its a shame certain others of our players didnt have his drive, ambition and love for the club instead of holding it to ransom they might turn out to be not half bad.And, yes, Ronaldo has been accused of doing something similar re Real Madrid, but at least at that time he had helped us win several more trophies, unlike some who simply think the club "owes" them despite their poor performances.

Manny

Grammar Police
So on this occasion, shirt sales DID pay for the transfer fee!

Checkmate, business and finance nerds! white text
This is probably the only transfer where this could have worked! Superstar footballer, low fee, massive fanbase...

Mickson

I read today that Ronaldo is already looking to extend his contract with us; its a shame certain others of our players didnt have his drive, ambition and love for the club instead of holding it to ransom they might turn out to be not half bad.And, yes, Ronaldo has been accused of doing something similar re Real Madrid, but at least at that time he had helped us win several more trophies, unlike some who simply think the club "owes" them despite their poor performances.
:nervous::nervous::nervous:

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
I don't know why people care about this. What does it even mean that one is more popular than the other? It's like something only children would care about.
Because it directly impacts the commercial revenue of the club going forward, which in turn determines what we can invest into our playing squad? I’m pretty sure everyone cares about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.