Cristiano Ronaldo - Man Utd Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

Does alright for Portugal though…

Did alright at Juventus though…

Almost as if having a manager who no other PL team would employ is effecting the output of a striker.
His negative influence on them was a big debate last year.

Our manager is terrible but a better one will face a similar problem with Ronaldo.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Ronaldo has obvious strengths but also obvious weaknesses. It's something you have to be able to adjust for tactically. Right now we're floundering in too many ways for that to happen.

Bobski

Like playing with 10 men defensively, so you have to balance how much you value his goal threat against that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Do you feel the same about Sancho? Varane?
At some point, we have to admit it can't be ALL the players, including 3 players everyone lost their absolute beans about when we signed them who are rubbish.

It all falls at the manager's door.

moxdevil

The least of our problems is whether our number 9 and chief goal threat is closing down players. fecking hell.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nope. Why?
Are you saying you think we're a better team with those 2 in, so far?

Sancho looks like Lingard's more timid, less effective brother so far.
And Varane hasn't really got going to any level yet.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Do you feel the same about Sancho? Varane?
Oh I can answer this.

I never rated Sancho that highly anyway because he played in the Bundesliga and was highly working on the free space.

Varane has been a very good player but as usual our midfield gets cuts through like ice which is not the defenders fault.

Now to Ronaldo. Ronaldo was not planned to be bought - he doesn't necessarily fit a tactic and was bought because he was available and we had to stop City buying him.

He offers nothing special except tap ins now. Very average hold up play. Hardly a long shot that does not hit the knee cap of an opponent. Hardly even a run that helps move the defenders out of the opposition because he is thinking about saving his energy for the next couple of years. No running. No pressing. The guy is more still than Martial but hey let's not say anything bad about Ronaldo. His passing is not good, that pass he made to Greenwood today showed it.

All his tap in goals except one hasn't been some amazing finishes either. Literally scrappy goals bouncing off the goalkeeper - sure that can be blamed on the manager perfectly fine but I do not think that this guy is going to score good goals even if the delivery was great. There was some deliveries today - he just couldn't get on the end of it. Everyone blames the sender but not the receiver. The offside chance he had all the time and miss timed his run and hit the shot straight at the goal keeper - it's the type of shot he has to put in the net.

Like why oh why in his prime after arguably needing Benzema's work centrally in the best years of his career out wide would he be that good centrally in hardest league in the world without that type of striker partnership here?

I am not saying he cannot score a goal - he is a great player but he is currently a very overrated player that is deemed by fans as a player that should start every single game. A player that cannot do any wrong. A player that is perfect. A player that cannot even be substituted.

If he didn't come with this baggage I would be happy he was here- but he has come as a player that has said "I am the king, I will start every game, I will not be substituted and I will be your strikers and everyone especially players like Bruno Fernandes who was a previous main goalscorer will come and assist me".

I don't think he is that great at the age he is.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The least of our problems is whether our number 9 and chief goal threat is closing down players. fecking hell.
Yep.
Much bigger issues are
  1. Defence looking a mess
  2. No centre mid combo seems to work well
  3. England boys Shaw and Maguire with a big Euros hangover
  4. Bruno doesn't seem on it that much so far
  5. Relying on individual brilliance
  6. Creating hardly any chances for Ronaldo.

Mickson

Are you saying you think we're a better team with those 2 in, so far?

Sancho looks like Lingard's more timid, less effective brother so far.
And Varane hasn't really got going to any level yet.
Not necessarily. I do think Varane has had a decent start (but we are too open in midfield). Sancho has been a bit meh but I'll think he will be better soon enough, and definitely so under another manager. Ronaldo is another matter IMO, because I don't think he fits in well at all.

FahadiHossein

CR7 today is more like RVN. You have to control the game and he just stands there. You send in a cross and he will score from something.
However, the way the team is playing relies too much on counter-attacks. Cavani does well but he usually gets subbed in, and Cavani has better off-the-ball movement than CR7, because Cavani does not have to run faster than the CB, Cavani runs diagonally and he confuses the CB. The team is not playing to CR7's strengths at all, and he is limiting the movement because the team needs someone who can run faster and press harder if playing counter-attacks.

TLDR: STOP PLAYING COUNTERATTACKS

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The main problem is really that his name and wages are bigger than his ability at this stage. It's still early days, but he's nearly 37. He's not a complete forward anymore, but it's always going to revolve around him.

We need an rvn

Ronaldo won’t tolerate this, won’t be long before Ole loses the dressing room if it hasn’t already begun.
He was a panic buy as he became available and we didn't want to see him at City.

Personally, I think we would have been better with Cavani, Rashford, Mason and Sancho (I'm leaving Martial out on purpose) as we would have played more of a team and not how it is now with the focus seeming to be "is Ronaldo happy" / "Ronaldo won't tolerate this"

Tony247

Manager needs to manage his ego and playtime. He obviously cannot play every match for 90 mins. He is Ronaldo, use him to his maximum as situation fits, and not fit him in the team regardless of situation.

Ludens the Red

Yup. You sign a poacher, he’ll play like a poacher. You’re not even playing to the poachers strengths either. Not creating chances or getting the ball in the box with any frequency. But yeah “he has less pressures”…..

KeanoMagicHat

Oh I can answer this.

I never rated Sancho that highly anyway because he played in the Bundesliga and was highly working on the free space.

Varane has been a very good player but as usual our midfield gets cuts through like ice which is not the defenders fault.

Now to Ronaldo. Ronaldo was not planned to be bought - he doesn't necessarily fit a tactic and was bought because he was available and we had to stop City buying him.

He offers nothing special except tap ins now. Very average hold up play. Hardly a long shot that does not hit the knee cap of an opponent. Hardly even a run that helps move the defenders out of the opposition because he is thinking about saving his energy for the next couple of years. No running. No pressing. The guy is more still than Martial but hey let's not say anything bad about Ronaldo. His passing is not good, that pass he made to Greenwood today showed it.

All his tap in goals except one hasn't been some amazing finishes either. Literally scrappy goals bouncing off the goalkeeper - sure that can be blamed on the manager perfectly fine but I do not think that this guy is going to score good goals even if the delivery was great. There was some deliveries today - he just couldn't get on the end of it. Everyone blames the sender but not the receiver. The offside chance he had all the time and miss timed his run and hit the shot straight at the goal keeper - it's the type of shot he has to put in the net.

Like why oh why in his prime after arguably needing Benzema's work centrally in the best years of his career out wide would he be that good centrally in hardest league in the world without that type of striker partnership here?

I am not saying he cannot score a goal - he is a great player but he is currently a very overrated player that is deemed by fans as a player that should start every single game. A player that cannot do any wrong. A player that is perfect. A player that cannot even be substituted.

If he didn't come with this baggage I would be happy he was here- but he has come as a player that has said "I am the king, I will start every game, I will not be substituted and I will be your strikers and everyone especially players like Bruno Fernandes who was a previous main goalscorer will come and assist me".

I don't think he is that great at the age he is.
Great post, spot on analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.