Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

Ladron de redcafe

Tbh I just have a hard time not getting the last word in or not responding to people on here :lol:

But no point continuing with it so done replying to him
You still haven't pressed the ignore button though. So you aren't really "done with it". Put your actions where your mouth is. I'm waiting.

Ladron de redcafe

Cristiano is possibly the greatest player to play for United, but he is in my eyes acted like an extremely desperate and arrogant person since the start of this season. He couldn't come with the terms that he is no longer the player he was. I don't consider him to be the reason we were worse last season, we just had a shitty atmosphere. But the way he acted in the end, just gives an indication that his ego couldn't accept the fate humbly. I am sure he will improve later on in Suadi and score many goals, but it doesn't change the fact that he has broken the hearts of United fans twice. Most people seem to forget the way his PR wrote the story during the end of his first stint.

And please do not, you fanboys, use his little kid to excuse for his entitled behaviour. You guys are worse than his haters.
Yeah and that's what they're doing. Which is silly because that incident has nothing to do with behavior that preceded it or bizarre decisions such as the Morgan interview in which he continued his unprofessional behaviour and buried everyone left and right.

Real Name

I didn't say it was the sole reason for his behaviour but he did claim in his interview with Piers that he told the club during the summer his daughter was sick and that's why he wasn't coming back to preseason and they didn't believe him. Now if he's lying it's pretty disgusting to use the death of your child to publicly gain sympathy, but if its true, I can imagine that seriously souring your relationship with the club
They didnt believe him yet they gave him a leave. Even if they didnt believe him to make that interview, burn the bridges with the club and end in Saudi fekin Arabia based on that is crazy to say the least.

Pintu

Rival fans in South Africa were trolling him by chanting ”Messi..Messi…”

bringbackbebe

That was last seasons points total, 37 after 20 games, this year we have 39. So how much of those two extra points are because we got rid of Ronaldo and how many are down to bringing in a much better manager and 250m of players?
Do you scour the internet to get points that confirm your views while discarding anything contrary? Here is the equivalent chart. Pretty self explanatory, even for a Ronaldo fanboy.
Opponents​
H / A​
Points 22-23​
Points 21-22​
Brighton & Hove Albion​
H​
0​
3​
Brentford​
A​
0​
3​
Liverpool​
H​
3​
0​
Southampton​
A​
3​
1​
Leicester City​
A​
3​
0​
Arsenal​
H​
3​
3​
Manchester City​
A​
0​
0​
Everton​
A​
3​
0​
Newcastle United​
H​
1​
3​
Tottenham Hotspur​
H​
3​
3​
Chelsea​
A​
1​
1​
West Ham United​
H​
3​
3​
Aston Villa​
A​
0​
1​
Fulham (Burnley)​
A​
3​
1​
Nottingham Forest (Norwich)​
H​
3​
3​
Wolverhampton Wanderers​
A​
3​
3​
Bournemouth (Watford)​
H​
3​
1​
Manchester City​
H​
3​
0​
Crystal Palace​
A​
1​
0​
Arsenal​
A​
0​
0​
Total

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yeah we were worse towards the end of last season after we appointed a manager who hasn't managed at a level even approaching the championship in years, I'd hope by now this is the one club where people can see how important a manager is.
We actually had a higher points per game under Rangnick than we did under Ole last season. People tend to forget that it was only the last two months that things completely fell apart under Rangnick. Before that it, while certainly not amazing, was a significant improvement over how we were performing with Ole.

We didn't regress we just reverted to type, solskjaer had two 66 point finishes and was on course for a third when he was sacked last year.
We were on track for 54 points under Ole last season.

Real Name

I didn't said he is our greatest player, but come on he is the greatest player to play for United. There are only a handful who are greater than him, and none have played in English Premier League let alone in United.
I think you're mixing things. He is the greates player to play in United shirt for sure, cause he's in top 5 of the best players ever, but was he the best United player in history?

troylocker

That was last seasons points total, 37 after 20 games, this year we have 39. So how much of those two extra points are because we got rid of Ronaldo and how many are down to bringing in a much better manager and 250m of players?
You really should find a different hill to die on.
He joined us in round 4 last season, and he was with us all the way to his last masterclass against Aston Villa this season. If we wrap up our league results before and after Ronaldo, it goes like this:

United before and after Ronaldo since the start of the 20/21 season in the EPL:

28 wins, 13 draws and 7 losses in 48 games, 97 points and a goaldifference of 94-52
2,02 points per game
1,96 goals per game scored
1,08 goals per game conceded
42 +goals / +0,88 goals per 90

While Ronaldo was here Newcastle 21/22 - Aston Villa 22/23 in the EPL:
21 wins, 11 draws and 16 losses in 48 games, 74 points and a goaldifference of 68-74
1,54 points per game
1,42 goals per game scored
1,54 goals per game conceded
6 -goals / -0,13 goals per 90

That's a whole goal worse goaldifference per game over a period of 48 games, and half a point less per game in the same period.

Ronaldo and us trying to accomodate him was a total disaster for us his entire period here. You have to put a lot of the blaim on the managers and the coaching staff for making us play in a way that ended with trying to put him on the end of every chance we created, playing with the worst pressing attacker in Europe and for letting it happen for as long as it did. Add the drama he brought and you have a true nightmare on your hands for 15 months.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I didn't said he is our greatest player, but come on he is the greatest player to play for United. There are only a handful who are greater than him, and none have played in English Premier League let alone in United.
I didn't say you did, I said possibly, and if you had said in the PL era I would agree with you, but there was football before the PL and George Best and Bobby Charlton would be top in many peoples list of greatest player to play for United

djembatheking

You really should find a different hill to die on.
He joined us in round 4 last season, and he was with us all the way to his last masterclass against Aston Villa this season. If we wrap up our league results before and after Ronaldo, it goes like this:

United before and after Ronaldo since the start of the 20/21 season in the EPL:

28 wins, 13 draws and 7 losses in 48 games, 97 points and a goaldifference of 94-52
2,02 points per game
1,96 goals per game scored
1,08 goals per game conceded
42 +goals / +0,88 goals per 90

While Ronaldo was here Newcastle 21/22 - Aston Villa 22/23 in the EPL:
21 wins, 11 draws and 16 losses in 48 games, 74 points and a goaldifference of 68-74
1,54 points per game
1,42 goals per game scored
1,54 goals per game conceded
6 -goals / -0,13 goals per 90

That's a whole goal worse goaldifference per game over a period of 48 games, and half a point less per game in the same period.

Ronaldo and us trying to accomodate him was a total disaster for us his entire period here. You have to put a lot of the blaim on the managers and the coaching staff for making us play in a way that ended with trying to put him on the end of every chance we created, playing with the worst pressing attacker in Europe and for letting it happen for as long as it did. Add the drama he brought and you have a true nightmare on your hands for 15 months.
Good post. Since he has been gone it is like a dark cloud has been lifted and the players are all playing for each other, working together where the football is so much more fluid. They all have smiles on their faces again and celebrate goals together. Thank you Piers.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Just opinions, but the point here is that no one disputes that Ali and Ronaldo were both in the very top tier in the history of their sports.
It will be interesting to see how he (Ronaldo) is regarded in years to come.

I personally doubt that he will end up being regarded as anything comparable to how Ali is regarded (here and now).

lex talionis

It will be interesting to see how he (Ronaldo) is regarded in years to come.

I personally doubt that he will end up being regarded as anything comparable to how Ali is regarded (here and now).
Ali’s greatness extends well beyond the ring. Ronaldo’s greatness is limited to the pitch. There’s no comparison between the two as to their impact on the world around them. There’s no one in any sport who comes close to Ali in their greatness as a human being. (He was a flawed man, but a great man nevertheless.)

But in terms of their impact on their sports, Ali isn’t that far ahead of Ronaldo.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's been a while since I've just scrolled through four pages with little desire to read any of the argumentative shite being posted. Someone please post some funny clips or images of Ronaldo being a cnut and we can all get on with our lives again

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But in terms of their impact on their sports, Ali isn’t that far ahead of Ronaldo.
I know what you mean (I'm just being a bit...you know, because I enjoy pointing out how much greater Ali is as an actual "legend" or "icon" or whatever you want to call it...compared to the...whatever Ronaldo is.

Ronaldo's impact on the last couple of decades in terms of recorded football history is clear enough. Nobody in their right mind would deny that Ronaldo and Messi are the two players who have had the most impact on football history (in general) over the last couple of decades.

However, how football history in the grand scheme of things, compared to players of previous and future eras, will regard him is another matter.

That will depend on several factors.

always_hoping

Not really. He was the outgoing "greatest club manager" ever and would have had disproportionate amount of influence in finding his replacement. He was a miracle worker for the Glazers, keeping us competitive on a shoestring during those early days of the ownership, and they wanted to continue that model. Given SAFs knowledge of the game, it was a huge mistake on his part to believe that someone who didn't win a single away game against top 4 opposition would suddenly become competent enough to lead a club like us. He was wrong and horribly so.
When Ferguson wanted to retire the first time he was recommending his mate Alex McLeish as a possible replacement. Not a hope in hell would the David Gill have appointed him or Moyes if available at the time. Ed Woodward on the other hand was totally clueless as was those around him and hence United got Moyes instead of like for like replacement for Ferguson.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I know what you mean (I'm just being a bit...you know, because I enjoy pointing out how much greater Ali is as an actual "legend" or "icon" or whatever you want to call it...compared to the...whatever Ronaldo is.

Ronaldo's impact on the last couple of decades in terms of recorded football history is clear enough. Nobody in their right mind would deny that Ronaldo and Messi are the two players who have had the most impact on football history (in general) over the last couple of decades.

However, how football history in the grand scheme of things, compared to players of previous and future eras, will regard him is another matter.

Ronaldo isn't better than Messi, Maradona, and Pele obviously, but he is top 10 for sure.

The thing is that Ali is the GOAT of boxing, while in Football you have 3 GOATs who confuse people about who was the greatest (Pele, Maradona, and Messi) so it's more difficult to be considered the GOAT of Football given that Football is 100 times bigger as a sport than Boxing.

I agree that Cassius Clay was also more prominent as personality than Ronaldo, especially because the latter is cnut as a person.

Last edited:

lex talionis

The age of footballers changing the game in some significant way as Pele, Cruyff and Beckenbauer did is over. We're not going to see anyone like them ever again.

Ali changed everything in his sport, but the sport of boxing is nowhere near where it once was. Football, on the other hand, has never been bigger on the global scene, although even Messi doesn't command the world's attention the way Pele did.

prateik

All those fans will soon get a letter gifting them a free Istanbul vacation with a special lunch at the Saudi consulate.

mshnsh

Ronaldo can't be compared to Ali for 2 reasons:

1. Ali was superior to everyone else in his discipline during his era. Ronaldo isn't. Infact if you take away longevity, he would fall significantly in the packinorder.

2. Ali transcended boxing much like Pele. Ronaldo is pretty much a celebrity.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
7 of those 29 points were after the first three games - without Ronaldo! In the next 17, it was 22.
Slightly better than relegation form, nice!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The age of footballers changing the game in some significant way as Pele, Cruyff and Beckenbauer did is over. We're not going to see anyone like them ever again.

Ali changed everything in his sport, but the sport of boxing is nowhere near where it once was. Football, on the other hand, has never been bigger on the global scene, although even Messi doesn't command the world's attention the way Pele did.
I would be surprised if Messi overall doesnt command the same attention as Pelé. Pelé probably pioneered football when it was televised like Best but the audience is far greater these days. I guess you could make the point that Messi isnt the first near supernatural footballer.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I would be surprised if Messi overall doesnt command the same attention as Pelé. Pelé probably pioneered football when it was televised like Best but the audience is far greater these days. I guess you could make the point that Messi isnt the first near supernatural footballer.
Well, if Maradona and Pele would be active footballers nowadays they would be as popular as Messi.

Maradona was very global in the early 2000s when he was already retired, and back when internet wasn't even mainstream... can't imagine how more global he would be if he played football in 2010s.

jm99

1. Ali was superior to everyone else in his discipline during his era. Ronaldo isn't. Infact if you take away longevity, he would fall significantly in the packinorder.

Boneappletea

lex talionis

I would be surprised if Messi ever commands the same attention Pele did. And if he ever were to, would it not have happened by now?

Global population roughly doubled between 1970 and 2020 (a scary thought) so in terms of the number of eyeballs each commanded, I'm sure Messi has the edge. But in terms of some kind of undefinable space each took in the global public mind, it's not that close between Pele and Messi.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
I would be surprised if Messi ever commands the same attention Pele did. And if he ever were to, would it not have happened by now?

Global population roughly doubled between 1970 and 2020 (a scary thought) so in terms of the number of eyeballs each commanded, I'm sure Messi has the edge. But in terms of some kind of undefinable space each took in the global public mind, it's not that close between Pele and Messi.
What kind of attention is this? Is there anyone under 60 years of age here on this forum who watched Pele live? Many football fans have not even watched his videos.

The reason why many fans still talk about Maradona is because they watched his magic live and associate their times with him.

There is no way Pele commands the same attention as Messi, not sure about even in Brazil by the way judging by the attention he received in his funeral. His popularity is not even close to that of Ayrton Senna in Brazil where millions took to the streets for farewell to Senna (the whole nation basically stopped functioning). Pele is also generally disliked in Brazil for his outside the pitch persona, kind of a controversial guy there..

Last edited:

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
What kind of attention is this? Is there anyone under 60 years of age here on this forum who watched Pele live? Many football fans have not even watched his videos.

The reason why many fans still talk about Maradona is because they watched his magic live and associate their times with him.

There is no way Pele commands the same attention as Messi, not sure about even in Brazil by the way judging by the attention he received in his funeral. His popularity is not even close to that of Ayrton Senna in Brazil where millions took to the streets for farewell to Senna (the whole nation basically stopped functioning). Pele is also generally disliked in Brazil for his outside the pitch persona, kind of a controversial guy there..
That’s not a fair comparison. Whilst Senna was definitely the more compelling of the two, he also died on live TV with millions watching.

Last edited:

Mr.Hik

Well, if Maradona and Pele would be active footballers nowadays they would be as popular as Messi.

Maradona was very global in the early 2000s when he was already retired, and back when internet wasn't even mainstream... can't imagine how more global he would be if he played football in 2010s.
Maradona wouldn't even play if he was footballer nowadays.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

They do have one thing in common though, neither would acknowledge that they were past it

Waynne

The dude walking next to Ronnie down the tunnel with his hand over his mouth whispering to Ronnie:

'Messi, Messi bro, Messi my guy'