Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

frostbite

When did Fergie make that decision?
It was widely reported. It was also evident if you watched his six years at United, he was becoming more and more of a scorer, obviously because his training focused more and more on scoring, not crossing. This was also the reason Nistelrooy was upset with both Ronaldo and Sir Alex, RVN wanted Ronaldo to become his new Beckham (Ronaldo was Beckham's replacement and Beckham trained very hard on crossing, not scoring). Another example: at first, Ronaldo was the corner taker, later on he was not, he was trying to score from corners.

Evra:

"Ferguson went further and told him that he's not a winger, that he's a striker and with his ability he had to score two or three goals a game and he didn't care about the tricks and skill, he said, 'Forget that, you need to score goals'. That season Ronaldo scored 42 goals.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manutd-cristiano-ronaldo-ferguson-evra-28234216

UnbiasedObserver

Hmm
The definition of exaggeration.

You can post youtube videos but they mean nothing.

Fact of the matter is Ronaldo was never a great dribbler (around 2 per game in his prime and personal best of 3.3 per game), never a great passer (occasionally could produce a good one but never with any consistency), never one of the most creative (his key passes stats have never been anywhere near the top) and I've hardly, if ever, seen him produce passes that open up the defence and he certainly was not Scholes.

His greatest attributes are his athleticism and his eye for goal. What he lost after his prime was some of his athleticism and therefore became a poacher. No need to pretend otherwise.
So you are telling that Sir Alex brought Ronaldo for a couple of stepovers for what exactly? Ronaldo from 02-06 was a garbage goalscorer, awful dribbler, and terrible playmaker. Are you implying that Sir Alex greatest manager of all time is a moron? For what reason he was playing Ronaldo at that time?

mshnsh

Hmm

So you are telling that Sir Alex brought Ronaldo for a couple of stepovers for what exactly? Ronaldo from 02-06 was a garbage goalscorer, awful dribbler, and terrible playmaker. Are you implying that Sir Alex greatest manager of all time is a moron? For what reason he was playing Ronaldo at that time?
If you followed the Ronaldo threads on this forum in his early years you'd know that for many, there was little if any hope of Ronaldo leaving upto intial expectations.

In Rainbows

It was widely reported. It was also evident if you watched his six years at United, he was becoming more and more of a scorer, obviously because his training focused more and more on scoring, not crossing. This was also the reason Nistelrooy was upset with both Ronaldo and Sir Alex, RVN wanted Ronaldo to become his new Beckham (Ronaldo was Beckham's replacement and Beckham trained very hard on crossing, not scoring). Another example: at first, Ronaldo was the corner taker, later on he was not, he was trying to score from corners.

Evra:

"Ferguson went further and told him that he's not a winger, that he's a striker and with his ability he had to score two or three goals a game and he didn't care about the tricks and skill, he said, 'Forget that, you need to score goals'. That season Ronaldo scored 42 goals.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manutd-cristiano-ronaldo-ferguson-evra-28234216
I'm not questioning that it happened. I'm questioning your timeline of when he said that. We all know Ronaldo turned into a great goalscorer for the 2008 season. You're saying that when Fergie bought him, he already tried to turn him into a goal scorer, hence why he had to abandon a skillset that would show off his technique at the age of 18.

That quote from Evra is talking about right before the 2008 season, not 2003.

frostbite

I'm not questioning that it happened. I'm questioning your timeline of when he said that. We all know Ronaldo turned into a great goalscorer for the 2008 season. You're saying that when Fergie bought him, he already tried to turn him into a goal scorer, hence why he had to abandon a skillset that would show off his technique at the age of 18.

That quote from Evra is talking about right before the 2008 season, not 2003.
You do not switch from winger to striker in a few months or so. It was gradual. Ronaldo stayed six years at Man Utd, I'd say that after his third year (summer 2006) he was becoming more of a striker than a traditional winger. Nistelrooy also left in the summer of 2006. So, already in 2005-06 sir Alex encouraged Ronaldo to score more and cross less (which upset Nistelrooy).

As you probably know, footballers have individual training regimes. For example, Shaw trains for corner taking, but Malacia probably doesn't. I mean, even though Malacia and Shaw play in the same position, they don't have the same training regime. Everyone trains in shooting, but some train more, some train less. Ronaldo was taking corners for a long time, and then he wasn't, but the switch was gradual. And I am sure his training regime was constantly evolving. The more goals he scored, the more Fergie pushed him to focus on his scoring. Scoring is the king in football, everything else is just a tool, a means to increase the probability of scoring.

Last edited:

heraklion

Yes, he was technically better than all of the above. Only Messi was better than him.
Are you aware that even the biggest Ronaldo supporters that actually watch football would laugh at that statement?
Why don't you create a poll and see how many people would be against your statement while making fun of it? I would say probably around 99%, and this is a United forum.

frostbite

Hmm

To add to what you are saying, during 2005-06 Fergie allowed Ronaldo to try and score more and cross less. Now, in 2005-06 our star forward was Nistelrooy (he remains my favorite striker!). Sir Alex wanted Ronaldo to try and score more, even if that upset Nistelrooy and contributed to his departure in the summer of 2006. Sir Alex picked Ronaldo over Nistelrooy in 2005-06, how amazing is this???

UnbiasedObserver

UnbiasedObserver

You do not switch from winger to striker in a few months or so. It was gradual. Ronaldo stayed six years at Man Utd, I'd say that after his third year (summer 2006) he was becoming more of a striker than a traditional winger. Nistelrooy also left in the summer of 2006. So, already in 2005-06 sir Alex encouraged Ronaldo to score more and cross less (which upset Nistelrooy).

As you probably know, footballers have individual training regimes. For example, Shaw trains for corner taking, but Malacia probably doesn't. I mean, even though Malacia and Shaw play in the same position, they don't have the same training regime. Everyone trains in shooting, but some train more, some train less. Ronaldo was taking corners for a long time, and then he wasn't, but the switch was gradual. And I am sure his training regime was constantly evolving. The more goals he scored, the more Fergie pushed him to focus on his scoring. Scoring is the king in football, everything else is just a tool, a means to increase the probability of scoring.
I don't know what are you talking about. Your football knowledge is so basic. If you score the most goals in a team that doesn't mean you are a striker. Then why on God's green earth did Fergie bring in Larsson to play CF if Ronaldo was there???

SirMonteyne

This CR7 guy has 5 ballon dors and 6 ballon dor runners-up. A few very smart individuals are arguing about whether he should be considered one of the top 100 technical players. He was a joy to watch. I've seen the finest players like Zidane, Ronaldinho, Neymar, and Kaka. As a football fan, Messi and Ronaldo entertained me enough.

I've seen a lot of flashy players, but none have entertained me like those two. I'm not an expert, nor do I want to pretend to be one. But I remember every time there was a counterattack, Ronaldo orchestrated it with his movements and fast, yet accurate passes. Seeing him participate in attacking scenarios and somehow everything end up exactly how he wanted was beautiful. His footballing IQ is high, his passing is top-notch, he dribbled at a world-class level for a few years, he's a GOAT goal scorer, the top scorer of the game, and he is a rightful rival to the best technical player ever Messi. It's okay to be whoever you want online, but you can't deny these two guys' greatness because they left the facts and youtube videos behind.

Reactions: oates

frostbite

Doesn't make it true either ;)
Well, SIr Alex was a pragmatic manager. He wanted to win. He just wanted to win. It doesn't matter how, giving a show is secondary to the main goal: to win.

I happen to agree with Sir Alex. And I am sure the majority of successful managers also agree with him. A show is great if it helps to win. A show that leads to a loss is meaningless. Football is about winning. A show without winning is a circus. If you just want skills and entertainment without winning, I think that Cirque du Soleil is a better choice.

That's also the reason Sir Alex transformed Ronaldo from a youtube player to a scoring machine. Because you win scoring goals, not just showcasing skills.

heraklion

he's a GOAT goal scorer, the top scorer of the game
The guy became the league top goal-scorer like once in the last 8-9 years despite camping in the penalty box, not to mention scoring 0 goals in 5 WCs in the knock-out stages, has less Golden Shoes than Messi. I would place him below Gerd Muller, Messi and Pele in terms of goal-scoring.

And, no, his passing is not top-notch, far from it..

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Well, SIr Alex was a pragmatic manager. He wanted to win. He just wanted to win. It doesn't matter how, giving a show is secondary to the main goal: to win.

I happen to agree with Sir Alex. And I am sure the majority of successful managers also agree with him. A show is great if it helps to win. A show that leads to a loss is meaningless. Football is about winning. A show without winning is a circus. If you just want skills and entertainment without winning, I think that Cirque du Soleil is a better choice.

That's also the reason Sir Alex transformed Ronaldo from a youtube player to a scoring machine. Because you win scoring goals, not just showcasing skills.
So you prefer an Inzaghi over a Maradona? Goals are king ya?

SirMonteyne

The guy became the league top goal-scorer like once in the last 8-9 years despite camping in the penalty box, not to mention scoring 0 goals in 5 WCs in the knock-out stages, has less Golden Shoes than Messi. I would place him below Gerd Muller, Messi and Pele in terms of goal-scoring.

And, no, his passing is not top-notch, far from it..
I see that you have 17 posts, all of which are anti-CR7. This is a serious and unhealthy problem.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Who said it was about show?

If a player's main priority is to score goals, he has tge wrong priorities. That's not pragmatism but misdirection.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I don't know if you guys are being intentionally obtuse, but he's referring to himself here and how he was at the top of the footballing mountain (or at least believed himself to be, justifiably, considering what he has achieved). He struggled to 'see what was below' in the sense that he couldn't relate to/come to terms with no longer being at the top. He didn't want to face that inevitable reality.
That's what I take from it and I'm far from being his fan.

mshnsh

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
By the dribbles per 90 and/or YouTube highlight reel criteria, Adama, ASM or Ben Arfa should be among the GOATs technically then…..
Number of dribbles per 90 says very little about technique level, just like a YouTube compilation says very little about a player.
Ronaldo not being among the best in the world technically doesn’t mean he wasn’t very good technically.
Mbappe is also nowhere near the best technically, but that’s for another thread.
Nah I am just arguing against at the notion that he could no longer dribble past any Serie A defender when he loss his pace during his mid 30s. This simply isn’t true.

frostbite

Who said it was about show?

If a player's main priority is to score goals, he has tge wrong priorities. That's not pragmatism but misdirection.
If the priority is not to score goals, what do you think the priority is???

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If the priority is not to score goals, what do you think the priority is???
My priority as a player shouldn't be to score a goal myself. My priority should be that my team scores, or more precisely, that it scores more than it concedes. I'd say Cristiano was a better player before he focused completely on goal scoring.

Gottabekiddingme

Ronaldo became obsessed with goals when his rivalry with Messi in La Liga started & he wasn't the one winning the Golden Shoe & D'ors. He saw goals as a way to secure individual awards. His link up play and willingness to assist downgraded massively since then.

Vidic178

Are you aware that even the biggest Ronaldo supporters that actually watch football would laugh at that statement?
Why don't you create a poll and see how many people would be against your statement while making fun of it? I would say probably around 99%, and this is a United forum.
"I've seen Ronaldo play a lot of times, of course, but when you're up close every day his technical skills are unbelievable" - Carlo Ancelotti

Recency bias is making you think of 37 year old Ronaldo.

frostbite

I have been dumped by pretty girls, but I never felt the need to call them ugly afterward. I know a lot of people here feel betrayed by Ronaldo, and they need to question everything about him, including his technical ability, and they also feel the need to mock Ronaldo for some reason I cannot really understand. Perhaps because I was never a "Ronaldo fan", actually I am not a fan of any player, and I don't have a good opinion for most of them as personalities. I don't like Giggs as a person, I liked Giggs as a footballer.

I said above that Ronaldo is an asshole, and so is Messi, and Neymar, and Maradona (was), and many others. But this does not change the fact that Ronaldo has been one of the very best ever in technical ability, there is no question about it, I don't need a poll, I have seen it with my own eyes, I have watched him in the first game he played for us back in 2003 and I was shocked. Yes, Ronaldo dumped us, and I am also upset with him, but I am not going to change my mind about what I have watched in the past, he was an amazing player.

Ancelloti:
"I've seen Ronaldo play a lot of times, of course, but when you're up close every day his technical skills are unbelievable," the Italian trainer said.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footba...ti-ronaldo-the-best-ive-ever-seen_120146.html
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...est-ive-seen-says-carlo-ancelotti-wlkf6xzvl0l

MrEleson

It's got nothing to do with technical. Every skilful player is technical. It's about the level of the skill and some of you are pretending that Ronaldo was at the top of it.

He was showboating for crying out loud. Being a good dribbler and a showboater are 2 different things. Just look at that thumbnail when he was dancing around the ball in the same spot - that's not dribbling.
For someone who wasn’t anything special at dribbling, I wonder how he managed to pull this off.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I have been dumped by pretty girls, but I never felt the need to call them ugly afterward. I know a lot of people here feel betrayed by Ronaldo, and they need to question everything about him, including his technical ability, and they also feel the need to mock Ronaldo for some reason I cannot really understand. Perhaps because I was never a "Ronaldo fan", actually I am not a fan of any player, and I don't have a good opinion for most of them as personalities. I don't like Giggs as a person, I liked Giggs as a footballer.

I said above that Ronaldo is an asshole, and so is Messi, and Neymar, and Maradona (was), and many others. But this does not change the fact that Ronaldo has been one of the very best ever in technical ability, there is no question about it, I don't need a poll, I have seen it with my own eyes, I have watched him in the first game he played for us back in 2003 and I was shocked. Yes, Ronaldo dumped us, and I am also upset with him, but I am not going to change my mind about what I have watched in the past, he was an amazing player.

Ancelloti:
"I've seen Ronaldo play a lot of times, of course, but when you're up close every day his technical skills are unbelievable," the Italian trainer said.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footba...ti-ronaldo-the-best-ive-ever-seen_120146.html
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...est-ive-seen-says-carlo-ancelotti-wlkf6xzvl0l
Modric, Marcelo, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Isco, Thiago, Neymar, Ronaldinho and Zidane are 10 players whose careers at least overlapped with Cristiano's and were undeniably better technically. And then there still are Ribery, Robben, Hazard, Ibrahimovic, Dybala, Kroos, David Silva, de Bruyne, Berbatov, Bernardo Silva, Özil, di Maria, Fabregas, Henry, Mbappe, Kaka ... who have a fair shout, too.

Didn't keep him from being clearly better than all of them bar one. I don't know what it is about Cristiano that always makes people pretend he is/was something he doesn't. His career is so outstanding that there wouldn't even be the need for it.

MrEleson

Modric, Marcelo, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Isco, Thiago, Neymar, Ronaldinho and Zidane are 10 players whose careers at least overlapped with Cristiano's and were undeniably better technically. And then there still are Ribery, Robben, Hazard, Ibrahimovic, Dybala, Kroos, David Silva, de Bruyne, Berbatov, Bernardo Silva, Özil, di Maria, Fabregas, Henry, Mbappe, Kaka ... who have a fair shout, too.

Didn't keep him from being clearly better than all of them bar one. I don't know what it is about Cristiano that always makes people pretend he is/was something he doesn't. His career is so outstanding that there wouldn't even be the need for it.
Why are all those players undeniably better technically? The main thing I see they have in common is that they all probably play football in a way you personally prefer. That doesn’t mean they were all better than him technically. Someone like Ozil was a better passer and playmaker than Ronaldo yes but also worse at shooting and finishing which also require technique. So why is he better technically?

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Hardly laughable. Ronaldo's technique is outstanding. There were few in the world who could match his ability to run with the ball at pace. His touch is immaculate and he hits the ball very cleanly at a very consistent level. Passing aside, I'd say only Modric had clearly better technique than him of the ones listed.

ScholesyTheWise

Yeah, I also can't see how the majority of these players necessarily have better technique than prime Ronaldo.
Some are more pleasing on the eye (Iniesta, Zidane), one is just a better player but it's been debated waaay too much, some have a better first touch (Berbatov)... but Ronaldo's technique is top-notch nonetheless.

Maybe you just like the way most of them play football more than Ronaldo, as stated above. Which is fair enough, and I'd be on the same boath with quite some of them. But it's not the same argument.

His shooting technique is immaculate, his heading's too, his passing while not being Xavi's or Messi's level is also very very good.

Most of the names listed are far better playmakers than Ronaldo, and that can easily be confused with 'being technical', but it shouldn't be.e

MrEleson

You realize running past a defender is considered dribbling?
So which is it then? You said he doesn’t dribble but stands still “showboating” but you’re also saying he just runs past the opponent.

Which type of dribbling is acceptable for you?

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
So which is it then? You said he doesn’t dribble but stands still “showboating” but you’re also saying he just runs past the opponent.

Which type of dribbling is acceptable for you?
Ronaldo used to be a kick and run merchant in a similar vain as Bale. But some don't seem to realize that.
His skills were mostly used for showboating

Look at these highlights - add his current speed and acceleration and there's no way he's beating or even skipping past some of those players.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Why are all those players undeniably better technically? The main thing I see they have in common is that they all probably play football in a way you personally prefer. That doesn’t mean they were all better than him technically. Someone like Ozil was a better passer and playmaker than Ronaldo yes but also worse at shooting and finishing which also require technique. So why is he better technically?
Yeah, I also can't see how the majority of these players necessarily have better technique than prime Ronaldo.
Some are more pleasing on the eye (Iniesta, Zidane), one is just a better player but it's been debated waaay too much, some have a better first touch (Berbatov)... but Ronaldo's technique is top-notch nonetheless.

Maybe you just like the way most of them play football more than Ronaldo, as stated above. Which is fair enough, and I'd be on the same boath with quite some of them. But it's not the same argument.

His shooting technique is immaculate, his heading's too, his passing while not being Xavi's or Messi's level is also very very good.

Most of the names listed are far better playmakers than Ronaldo, and that can easily be confused with 'being technical', but it shouldn't be.e
It has nothing to do with preference. That's why I listened a wide variety of players who have completely different styles and applications. See, my definition of technique in a football context is balance and motoric ability with a football. And the players I mentioned simply have a different quality on the ball then Cristiano.

Consider somebody like Isco for example. He's always in perfect control of his body and center of gravity and at the same time he hits the ball incredibly cleanly with every touch. There's never a sign of the ball "controlling him" in the sense that he has to do "correction touches" because he hit it a little bit too much with the inside or outside of the foot while dribbling or got the angle/length of the touch wrong. And at the same time, he is capable of technically completely outrageous things that even Ronaldinho would be proud of at times. And those touches don't seem to be learned "by heart" like Cristiano's footworks in empty space during his showboateing days but they're natural to him as evidenced by the quality of his touches. Iniesta is completely different stylewise but he all of the aforementioned have this cleanness and absolute control of their touches at perfect balance in common. And that feeling of how to "manipulate" a football often reflects in the passing technique as well - how to bend it, how to flick it, etc. As good as Cristiano was, he never had that to the same extent. A great player but not as insanely talented with a football.

And by the way, that doesn't mean that he's not a better dribbler. Dribbling I think has much more to do with anticipation, decision making, situational and spacial awareness, etc. and Cristiano absolutely excels in these areas. I disagree for instance with @GifLord that he just ran past defenders. He could beat multiple players in tight spaces as well and he knew very well when and where to dribble. It's just that his technique wasn't at an all time great level. Similar to how somebody like Dembele is a far better dribbler than, say, Bernardo Silva, although Silva has a technique Dembele can only dream of.

GifLord

It has nothing to do with preference. That's why I listened a wide variety of players who have completely different styles and applications. See, my definition of technique in a football context is balance and motoric ability with a football. And the players I mentioned simply have a different quality on the ball then Cristiano.

Consider somebody like Isco for example. He's always in perfect control of his body and center of gravity and at the same time he hits the ball incredibly cleanly with every touch. There's never a sign of the ball "controlling him" in the sense that he has to do "correction touches" because he hit it a little bit too much with the inside or outside of the foot while dribbling or got the angle/length of the touch wrong. And at the same time, he is capable of technically completely outrageous things that even Ronaldinho would be proud of at times. And those touches don't seem to be learned "by heart" like Cristiano's footworks in empty space during his showboateing days but they're natural to him as evidenced by the quality of his touches. Iniesta is completely different stylewise but he all of the aforementioned have this cleanness and absolute control of their touches at perfect balance in common. And that feeling of how to "manipulate" a football often reflects in the passing technique as well - how to bend it, how to flick it, etc. As good as Cristiano was, he never had that to the same extent. A great player but not as insanely talented with a football.

And by the way, that doesn't mean that he's not a better dribbler. Dribbling I think has much more to do with anticipation, decision making, situational and spacial awareness, etc. and Cristiano absolutely excels in these areas. I disagree for instance with @GifLord that he just ran past defenders. He could beat multiple players in tight spaces as well and he knew very well when and where to dribble. It's just that his technique wasn't at an all time great level. Similar to how somebody like Dembele is a far better dribbler than, say, Bernardo Silva, although Silva has a technique Dembele can only dream of.
Simple question
Would Ronaldo still be as good as he was if he had half the speed/acceleration?

heraklion

I think we are not talking about the same sport if you do not feel Zidane or Iniesta are technically better than Ronaldo. You could as well say Ronaldo has almost the same quality technique as Maradona or Platini. Ronaldo used to cover his technical shortcomings with power and speed but once his athleticism is gone, he is gone too. There's a reason why he has been playing as a poacher camping in the penalty box for so long, the guy knows his limitations better than others. It's been a regular event that people make fun of his ball control, poor passing, limited vision etc. at both the club and NT level.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Simple question
Would Ronaldo still be as good as he was if he had half the speed/acceleration?
No. But there are many players who are as quick as Cristiano was but nowhere near his former dribbling ability. Why do you think so?

GifLord

No. But there are many players who are as quick as Cristiano was but nowhere near his former dribbling ability. Why do you think so?
There were tons of players as quick as Ronaldo. Robben, young Giggs, Bale... Even the likes of Aaron Lennon and Shaun Wright Phillips.
That's why im saying you don't need to be a great dribbler as long as you're fast enough to beat the defender - Adama Traore is a prime example.