Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherrinford

It's a rubbish article. Ronaldo forced Juventus to offer him an astronomical contract and stopped supposedly elite football players and grown men from shooting or carrying the ball into the box.

With the younger, prime Ronaldo you had to accept the poor and selfish decisions he would make constantly, but that hasn't been the case for a number of years now. The relentless greed in carrying the ball towards goal or shooting from ridiculous areas has long since been replaced by a much more conventional, sensible attacking game.

justsomebloke

It's a rubbish article. Ronaldo forced Juventus to offer him an astronomical contract and stopped supposedly elite football players and grown men from shooting or carrying the ball into the box.

With the younger, prime Ronaldo you had to accept the poor and selfish decisions he would make constantly, but that hasn't been the case for a number of years now. The relentless greed in carrying the ball towards goal or shooting from ridiculous areas has long since been replaced by a much more conventional, sensible attacking game.
Well, there seems to be quite a few arguments to the opposite effect, of which that article is just one case among many. There are some stats to support that argument too, such as his low number of assists and very high number of big chances not converted.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Would be amazing if this was in addition to the likes of Sancho/Rice/Varane, the deals we're in real need of getting over the line.

If it's in place of these moves, then steer well clear.

I'm a cynic, but I think one of the reasons the Glazers could go for this is because they know it will divide the fanbase in a way that would benefit them. And prove a cheaper/more profitable option in regards to sponsorships than someone like Sancho.

Love to see him back, but only if we're making real, meaningful investments for the future alongside it.

dinostar77

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No, we haven't. We've been rebuilding for two years. That's "rebuilding" as in "making a sustained effort to construct a team good enough to contend for PL titles for several seasons ahead".

What we were doing before that is exactly what this would amount to, ie, throwing big money at individual players in the hope that'll somehow make us contenders right now. And as you say, we've achieved nothing with that approach. On the other hand it looks like we may achieve something with the rebuild we have so belatedly embarked upon, so this is no time for the club to lose its head and revert to old, miserable practices.

The measure of any big investment made now isn't just the impact on next season, but where it leaves us 2, 3, 4 seasons ahead. In that light, this would obviously not be a good investment.
We have been trapped in this mindset post Fergie because we’ve had incompetent chief executive leadership, no dof, and have consistently hired the wrong managers, which is why we don’t have the luxury to do it yet again - especially with an inexperienced manager who is only on the job because he was a good player.

What we need right now is a world class player like CR7 to infuse a winning mentality into the younger players and complement Cavani, Bruno, and Rashford.

Also the narrative that Juve didn’t win the league this year with him is pretty pointless since we have a completely different profile of players here and are in a different league (in which he had already wildly successful).

We need to win a big trophy next year otherwise Ole will be out of a job, so if he is available, we should make a move immediately.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This article is exactly why you dont go anywhere near ronaldo now.

Theres a school of thought in Portugal that they'd stand a better chance of winning the euros without him. Same issue as at Juventus, the output of the collective is reduced for the glory of one individual.
He was on high wages at Madrid as well and they seemed to do ok on the trophy front.

Can you link me to the Portugal article ?

seegoblu

I’m sure it’s the U.S. sports fan in me that craves a “baseball trade” here. If Pogba and Ronaldo can agree to wages with Juve and United, respectively, the still is a valuation gap in Pogba’s favor that would need to be bridged. I’m not sure there‘s a consensus valuation for the two players, but I’ve most commonly seen €25m for Ronaldo and £60m for Pogba. Given Juventus‘ poor economic condition, I’m guessing they’d rather surrender another player than cash.

So, who does Murtough ask for if prompted? Demiral or Christian Romero to fill the CB hole? What about Kuluvsevski for the right?

Ronaldo fills the need for striker support and we add highly promising depth at one of two positions of need, each without dipping into the transfer budget. Perhaps the rumored £150m net budget gets split 2-ways, £80m for Sancho and £70m to replace Pogba with a better fitting piece, with vDb perhaps given the first chance to replace him directly and bringing in a world class replacement for McFred. Another position can be filled with proceeds of some badly needed deadwood that I don’t need to recite here. Perhaps those sales can fund £50m in additional activity...Varane? Funding the valuation gap in a DeGea-Oblak swap?

Could “trading” Pogba to Juve be a giant head start on remaking United under Ole?

I know this is way too much activity to expect in a single window, especially for this club, but I do think there can be additional benefits to trading Pogba for Ronaldo.

justsomebloke

We have been trapped in this mindset post Fergie because we’ve had incompetent chief executive leadership, no dof, and have consistently hired the wrong managers, which is why we don’t have the luxury to do it yet again - especially with an inexperienced manager who is only on the job because he was a good player.

What we need right now is a world class player like CR7 to infuse a winning mentality into the younger players and complement Cavani, Bruno, and Rashford.

Also the narrative that Juve didn’t win the league this year with him is pretty pointless since we have a completely different profile of players here and are in a different league (in which he had already wildly successful).

We need to win a big trophy next year otherwise Ole will be out of a job, so if he is available, we should make a move immediately.
We have largely been trapped in the mindset you give voice to since Fergie - the notion that we're just a top manager and and a couple of star signings away from being a top team again. Which is the better part of the reason why we still aren't.

Judas

Open to offers
Would anyone here swap him for Pogba?
It would massively depend on what other business we did. If we did that deal and then just bought a CB, hell no, because our midfield would be an absolute state, we'd have lost one of our more creative and most talented players.

If we still brought in Sancho and say Grealish, aye maybe.

But my feelings on a Ronaldo return really are the most 50/50 they've ever been.

justsomebloke

I’m sure it’s the U.S. sports fan in me that craves a “baseball trade” here. If Pogba and Ronaldo can agree to wages with Juve and United, respectively, the still is a valuation gap in Pogba’s favor that would need to be bridged. I’m not sure there‘s a consensus valuation for the two players, but I’ve most commonly seen €25m for Ronaldo and £60m for Pogba. Given Juventus‘ poor economic condition, I’m guessing they’d rather surrender another player than cash.

So, who does Murtough ask for if prompted? Demiral or Christian Romero to fill the CB hole? What about Kuluvsevski for the right?

Ronaldo fills the need for striker support and we add highly promising depth at one of two positions of need, each without dipping into the transfer budget. Perhaps the rumored £150m net budget gets split 2-ways, £80m for Sancho and £70m to replace Pogba with a better fitting piece, with vDb perhaps given the first chance to replace him directly and bringing in a world class replacement for McFred. Another position can be filled with proceeds of some badly needed deadwood that I don’t need to recite here. Perhaps those sales can fund £50m in additional activity...Varane? Funding the valuation gap in a DeGea-Oblak swap?

Could “trading” Pogba to Juve be a giant head start on remaking United under Ole?

I know this is way too much activity to expect in a single window, especially for this club, but I do think there can be additional benefits to trading Pogba for Ronaldo.
When you're used to NA sports, speculating about football "trades" is irresistible. :)

For me, all of this falls down on the simple point that I don't want to add Ronaldo. Kulusevski + Romero, if they think Romero is good enough to be a starting XI CB for us, would be a much better deal. You could also consider Dybala (whom I suspect would fit us well) and Bentancur as pieces.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well let's look shall we. It is an inferior league, look at what Lukaku is doing out there.
Lukaku has score similar no. of goals this season in Serie A as his first season with us in PL, while also taking penalties.

Interval

Level
If Juve agrees for a free, then maybe. As.long as he agrees to rotation.

20mill upfront to him and a per week salary of 200k works out to be a 40mill over 2 yrs. With bonuses and branding money it might be worth both parties.

As much as I love him. I just fear that he won't accept a team NOT built around him. Which we won't be. So yeah, maybe no.

croadyman

Would be amazing if this was in addition to the likes of Sancho/Rice/Varane, the deals we're in real need of getting over the line.

If it's in place of these moves, then steer well clear.

I'm a cynic, but I think one of the reasons the Glazers could go for this is because they know it will divide the fanbase in a way that would benefit them. And prove a cheaper/more profitable option in regards to sponsorships than someone like Sancho.

Love to see him back, but only if we're making real, meaningful investments for the future alongside it.
Yeah totally agree Utd should only be considering this as a bonus signing after the important business, if there is any possibility that this affects that then we have to pass on it in my opinion great as he still is of course

justsomebloke

Yeah totally agree Utd should only be considering this as a bonus signing after the important business, if there is any possibility that this affects that then we have to pass on it in my opinion great as he still is of course
It can hardly be that kind of signing? Just the wages would be huge money, and we arguably need strengthening in at least 5 positions, which is more than can be solved in a single window.

eire-red

Maybe if Juve want Pogba they can pay for him? And we can use that money for a replacement, and also look to strengthen other areas in greater need. If they have no cash, then that's too bad. If Pogba wants out, I'm sure we'll find a buyer.

As great of a story it would be, what value is a 36 year old Ronaldo to us, considering we just tied 34 year old Cavani down for another season.

Smells like Juve trying to solve a problem of their own while trying to resign Pogba. This transfer would be moronic.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Maybe if Juve want Pogba they can pay for him? And we can use that money for a replacement, and also look to strengthen other areas in greater need. If they have no cash, then that's too bad. If Pogba wants out, I'm sure we'll find a buyer.

As great of a story it would be, what value is a 36 year old Ronaldo to us, considering we just tied 34 year old Cavani down for another season.

Smells like Juve trying to solve a problem of their own while trying to resign Pogba. This transfer would be moronic.
Ronaldo and Cavani would be brilliant together imo. Just as Cavani was a fantastic signing last year, Ronnie would do the same next year. Experienced winners tend to have a positive impact on those around them, which is especially important when you have a manager and coaches who don't know what they're doing.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think this is far more likely than Kane or Halaand. Would it be a good idea? Only time will tell but he has been superb everywhere he's been

Utd7

Ronaldo is the reason I became a United supporter. But even I don’t want him back. He doesn’t fit our needs. Wrong timing.

eire-red

Ronaldo and Cavani would be brilliant together imo. Just as Cavani was a fantastic signing last year, Ronnie would do the same next year. Experienced winners tend to have a positive impact on those around them, which is especially important when you have a manager and coaches who don't know what they're doing.
Will he solve any of the areas we need to strengthen? I just wouldn't see the logic when we have glaring areas we need to strengthen, whereas CR would be anl complete PR indulgence as far as I can see.

Offsideagain

No no no, he will bring his circus with him and other crap. Would we win something with him playing for us again? Can’t see it. He would be too short term, yes he’s fit but he will be a day older tomorrow like everybody else and one injury will finish him. Sancho a better option.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Will he solve any of the areas we need to strengthen? I just wouldn't see the logic when we have glaring areas we need to strengthen, whereas CR would be anl complete PR indulgence as far as I can see.
We need more goals and creative ideas in attack, which would instantly be resolved with Ronaldo in this side, especially when playing off of Bruno. We would instantly have the best attack in the league. I think we can use Ronaldo for a couple of years, buy a defender this year and then buy Haaland the following summer.

Bottom line is with Liverpool appearing to sort themselves out towards the end of the year, Chelsea now a threat to make a league run, and City will of course buy to improve as well (especially if they pick up Grealish and/or Kane), we are going to have to bring in world class players simply to remain competitive.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Always wonder how this thread racks up the pages year after year, despite zero chance of it happening.

red_de_pologne

This. He would be class and score loads. It won't happen and we should look to build a squad for the future, but as a stop gap signing, well bar Messi there isn't a better stop gap signing than him.

SATA

He’s going to be on close to 600k per week if he comes and it will boom our wage structure up north. Let him be Juventus’s problem

Anduin

Always wonder how this thread racks up the pages year after year, despite zero chance of it happening.
Normally I would agree, but he doesn’t seem to be happy at Juventus anymore (and neither do their fans) and his options are limited. Barely anybody can cover his ridiculous wages, so it’s natural that rumors of a return are once again surfacing. I’d give it a 10% chance of happening, mainly because the Glazers need to do something to appease the fanbase. Not sure how I’d feel about it, 18 years after his debut with us and him giving his prime years to other clubs...

croadyman

He’s going to be on close to 600k per week if he comes and it will boom our wage structure up north. Let him be Juventus’s problem
Yeah we had Alexis break our wage structure and are only just getting that side of things sorted

Status
Not open for further replies.