Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUCK4444

Like a lot of things, it's only "painfully obvious" if you look at it narrowly and try not to think about it too hard.

There's a pretty well-established argument that Ronaldo has made Juventus a worse team, despite his profligate scoring. They've gone from being a team with good balance and organisation and lots of goal contributions from a large number of players, to being one focussed on supplying Ronaldo with scoring chances. The net result have been that they've been markedly less good the past two seasons than they were before CR arrived. He's not a player who makes his teammates better, he's not a player who makes the collective better, and he's not a player who's focussed on team rather than individual results. It's hard to imagine him fitting into the sort of quick passing game we have offensively - he has fittingly been called a "ball vortex". Once you give him the ball, he generally keeps it, until he loses it or shoots. He puts up goals, but what good is that when as a result his teammates score much less? His team is worse, not better. You can't just look at his goals stats and ignore everything else.

In addition to the one posted above, there's no shortage of available comment and analysis making this point better than I am. For example:

Has Cristiano Ronaldo Made Juventus Worse? A Critique of the Portuguese Professional Footballer Who Plays as a Forward for the Serie A Club – The Science Survey

He's obviously a great player, but he is exactly what the club should not be doing at this point. I don't want him in the team, flat out. Even if he didn't cost a penny.
Yeah I’m aware of those arguments and I’ve chosen to dismiss them as a player scoring a shite tonne of goals is never anything but a good thing. Which in itself is painfully obvious.

Change Martial this season with Ronaldo, what happens? We probably run City extremely close and do a much better job of holding onto first position.

There's a pretty well-established argument that Ronaldo has made Juventus a worse team, despite his profligate scoring. They've gone from being a team with good balance and organisation and lots of goal contributions from a large number of players, to being one focussed on supplying Ronaldo with scoring chances.
It’s an incredibly lazy and frankly awful argument though.

Swap Ronaldo out and they are still utter wank. Juventus have clearly been on a downward spiral, blaming that on their top scorer is like blaming RVP for us turning to shite under Moyes. I mean, feck me, the managers they have brought in since Allegri make United look competent.

Last edited:

FCAES_7

Getting Ronaldo even when he is 36 will be great!! Winning mentality (something we are struggling with), arial threat, and out of box shooting. We will get extra attention from all over the world which could be either negative or a positive thing. Who will be responsible for penalty duty, and will Cavani give up his number 7 if he comes in??

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Like a lot of things, it's only "painfully obvious" if you look at it narrowly and try not to think about it too hard.

There's a pretty well-established argument that Ronaldo has made Juventus a worse team, despite his profligate scoring. They've gone from being a team with good balance and organisation and lots of goal contributions from a large number of players, to being one focussed on supplying Ronaldo with scoring chances. The net result have been that they've been markedly less good the past two seasons than they were before CR arrived. He's not a player who makes his teammates better, he's not a player who makes the collective better, and he's not a player who's focussed on team rather than individual results. It's hard to imagine him fitting into the sort of quick passing game we have offensively - he has fittingly been called a "ball vortex". Once you give him the ball, he generally keeps it, until he loses it or shoots. He puts up goals, but what good is that when as a result his teammates score much less? His team is worse, not better. You can't just look at his goals stats and ignore everything else.

In addition to the one posted above, there's no shortage of available comment and analysis making this point better than I am. For example:

Has Cristiano Ronaldo Made Juventus Worse? A Critique of the Portuguese Professional Footballer Who Plays as a Forward for the Serie A Club – The Science Survey

He's obviously a great player, but he is exactly what the club should not be doing at this point. I don't want him in the team, flat out. Even if he didn't cost a penny.
Total nonsense. He has been scoring a lot of goals for them, and winning them a lot of games. Juventus has been poor this season because of other problems (Pirlo being the obvious one). It like saying Messi has made Barca worst in recent years, especially without his forward partner Neymar and Suárez to support him, as Barca is getting worse as worse when they rely more on Messi. This is making zero sense.

justsomebloke

Total nonsense. He has been scoring a lot of goals for them, and winning them a lot of games. Juventus has been poor this season because of other problems (Pirlo being the obvious one). It like saying Messi has made Barca worst in recent years, especially without his forward partner Neymar and Suárez to support him, as Barca is getting worse as worse when they rely more on Messi. This is making zero sense.
Well, glad you're so convinced. Not many other people are.

RkkMan

I'm only taking him:
1. As a bonus signing after we've signed Sancho, a CB and DM not IN PLACE of any of those
2. If he's willing to take a wage cut
3. If either his fee is low or Juve offer us cash plus Ronaldo for Pogba

cyberman

This is just an argument put forward by people point scoring in an out of date debate. Its like blaming Bruno for Utds failings. Its mind boggingly stupid. Its up there with the argument Juve took up all their budget, which was a well established argument as well, until it was pointed out theyve spent close to half a billion since Ronaldo joined and that little argument died a death.
Juve averaged about mid 70s goals returns before Ronaldo came and theyre scoring that with him in the side.
What lets Juve down is the shite around him. They have grossly misspent hundreds of millions on shite and rely on Ronaldo to get them through.

theklr

I'm only taking him:
1. As a bonus signing after we've signed Sancho, a CB and DM not IN PLACE of any of those
+ that he will be willing to be a impact sub.

TMS

I'm only taking him:
Think that 1st point is the key here. We need to focus on our more glaring needs first. I also would like us to keep our powder dry for as long as possible when it comes to a striker on the off chance something changes and an Mbappe or someone becomes available.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well, glad you're so convinced. Not many other people are.
It’s just common sense really. People just don’t find their top scorer/best player as scapegoat. They usually pick the worst one, not the best one. Messi didn’t lead Barca to win any CL trophy in past 5 years, and only win 3 domestic trophies in past 3 season ... why should Ronaldo be blame for not winning CL in past 3 year, while still managed to win 5 domestic trophy? Is he really widely regarded as better player than Messi so people would expect more from him?

Last edited:

justsomebloke

Same was said about Cavani……
Was it? They are hardly comparable. Cavani makes perfect sense as a complementary addition. CR doesn't do backup. He doesn't do "piece-of-the-puzzle" either. If you have him, you play him, and if you play him, he's your focal point.

This is just an argument put forward by people point scoring in an out of date debate. Its like blaming Bruno for Utds failings. Its mind boggingly stupid. Its up there with the argument Juve took up all their budget, which was a well established argument as well, until it was pointed out theyve spent close to half a billion since Ronaldo joined and that little argument died a death.
Juve averaged about mid 70s goals returns before Ronaldo came and theyre scoring that with him in the side.
What lets Juve down is the shite around him. They have grossly misspent hundreds of millions on shite and rely on Ronaldo to get them through.
Okay. So, he's been a huge positive impact for them. And yet they are they performing worse domestically and in Europe than they did before he arrived (to a considerable extent with players they still have, but who are now delivering less), and they want to sell him. But it's just mind-bogglingly stupid and total nonsense to suggest he might be part of the problem. Sorry, but I think if you want to make a persuasive case against that, you'll need to do more than turn up the volume on the adjectives.

BTW, they seem to have a net spend of about 60m since the window Ronaldo arrived, so the death of that particular argument appears to have been premature.

justsomebloke

It’s just common sense really

It’s just common sense really. People just don’t find their top scorer/best player as scapegoat. They usually pick the worst one, not the best one. Messi didn’t lead Barca to win any CL trophy in past 5 years, and only win 3 domestic trophies in past 3 season ... why should Ronaldo be blame for not winning CL in past 3 year, while still managed to win 5 domestic trophy? Is he really widely regarded as better player than Messi so people would expect more from him?
I don't know, maybe because people are watching how they play with Ronaldo in the team and how they played without him, rather than just count goals and trophies?

crossy1686

career ending
Ronaldo has still got it and would be good for us for a season or two but it's really not the direction we should be going in.

EDIT: For fecks sake, I can already hear myself in my own head signing "Viva Ronaldo!..." next season at OT...

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't know, maybe because people are watching how they play with Ronaldo in the team and how they played without him, rather than just count goals and trophies?
Not the same. There are games this season Juventus was absolutely terrible without Ronaldo on the pitch. It’s really hard to compare. If but they are comparing their games long before Ronaldo joined, it isn’t even the same team to begin with. But the fact being that Ronaldo had won far more games than any other players for Juventus.

But if you blame Ronaldo for not helping Juventus win more and play better football, it’s no difference on blaming Messi for not winning more and not helping Barca playing better football in recent years, when they don’t have Neymar/Suarez there to support. And using same line of logic, one could even argue Suarez is the better “team” player for Barca than Messi, as he beats Barca and win La Liga title with Athletico, and helps then play better football than Messi does for Barca . It’s just stupid logic given that Messi has been easily by far the best player in the league. But if you make this argument against Ronaldo, you could also apply the same argument against Messi too, and many other top players in the game.

For example, Sporting never wins any league title with Bruno, but shortly a season after Bruno left, they have improve as a team and won league title immediately, so Bruno must be the cause of their problems then? Do you see how stupid this line of thinking is?

We used to be very successful, and even in post-Fergie era we still won some trophies with Moyes (Charity Shield), LVG (FA Cup) and Mourinho (Europa league and league cup), but since Ole signed Bruno, we have won feck all, so again Bruno must be the cause of our problems then?

Cantona never wins CL with us, but shortly after he left we played our best football and win the CL and treble, so Cantona must be the cause of our previous failure in Europe then?

I could go on and on, but you get to see how ridiculously stupid this line of thinking is.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
Of course it wont happen - but a top-3 of : Cavani, Greenwood, Rashford, Martial, Sancho or Ronaldo does sound tempting

justsomebloke

Not the same. There are games this season Juventus was absolutely terrible without Ronaldo on the pitch. It’s really hard to compare. If but they are comparing their games long before Ronaldo joined, it isn’t even the same team to begin with.

It’s no difference saying Barcelona with Messi has been poor in recent years when they don’t have Neymar/Suarez there to support. And using same line of logic, one could even argue Suarez is the better “team” player for Barca than Messi, as he beats Barca and win La Liga title with Athletico. It’s just stupid logic given that Messi has been easily by far the best player in the league. But if you make this argument against Ronaldo, you could also apply the same argument against Messi too, and many other top players in the game.

For example, Sporting never wins any league title with Bruno, but shortly a season after Bruno left, they won league title immediately, so Bruno must be the cause of their problems then? Do you see how stupid this line of thinking is?

We used to be very successful, and even in post-Fergie era we still won some trophies with Moyes (Charity Shield), LVG (FA Cup) and Mourinho (Europa league and league cup), but since Ole signed Bruno, we have won feck all, so Bruno must be the cause of our problems then?

Cantona never wins CL with us, but shortly after he left we played our best football and win the CL and treble, so Cantona must be the cause of our previous failure in Europe then?

I could go on and on, but you get to see how ridiculously stupid this line of thinking is.
Sure that would be a stupid line of reasoning, but nobody, as far as I know, IS saying that Messi has a negative impact on Barcelona, or that Bruno had a negative impact on Sporting, or that we didn't win the CL because of Cantona. What you are doing here is constructing an absurd reductive argument, and then equating the argument about Ronaldo with that.

The argument about Ronaldo is not that since he's their best player, he's automatically to blame for the results. The specific argument appears to be that he makes Juventus function less well as a team, because their game is too focused on getting Ronaldo the ball and letting him take care of business. Which he still does better than most, but not so well that it outweighs the reduced contributions that entails from other players. His lowly number of assists suggests there is something to this, and it does not seem to me an implausible argument. But you do not really consider it or offer any arguments to it - to you, the fact that he is still scoring goals seems to be the beginning and end of the argument. And that's just too simple.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sure that would be a stupid line of reasoning, but nobody, as far as I know, IS saying that Messi has a negative impact on Barcelona, or that Bruno had a negative impact on Sporting, or that we didn't win the CL because of Cantona. What you are doing here is constructing an absurd reductive argument, and then equating the argument about Ronaldo with that.

The argument about Ronaldo is not that since he's their best player, he's automatically to blame for the results. The specific argument appears to be that he makes Juventus function less well as a team, because their game is too focused on getting Ronaldo the ball and letting him take care of business. Which he still does better than most, but not so well that it outweighs the reduced contributions that entails from other players. His lowly number of assists suggests there is something to this, and it does not seem to me an implausible argument. But you do not really consider it or offer any arguments to it - to you, the fact that he is still scoring goals seems to be the beginning and end of the argument. And that's just too simple.
Total nonsense. Haaland had similar number of goals and assists as Ronaldo this season, and Dortmund has been playing poorly at times as compared to their previous season without Haaland, and they almost fail to qualify for CL too, you could make exact same specific argument against Haaland based on exact same reasons you’ve used against Ronaldo, to claim he makes Dortmund function less as a team. It’s just absolutely ridiculous.

Oranges038

They have but it's easier to pin the blame on Ronaldo, rather than say it's actually amazing he scores so many goals when he has under performers around him.

This season 16 players scored for Juve. Last season it was 17, the top 3 in both combining with the most goal inputs.

20/2021 (g/a)
Chiesa - 14/10
Morata - 20/12
Ronaldo - 36/4

19/2020
Ronaldo - 37/7
Dybala - 17/14
Higuain - 11/8

Behind these 3 the next best is Kulusevski at getting goals and assists with 7/7. Amazingly Cuadrado has 19 assists.

Dybala, Rabiot, Ramsey, Arthur all on big money - contributed feck all this season.

Now look at the season before Ronaldo arrived, 14 goal scorers. But still condensed mostly across 3 players.

17/2018 (g/a)

Dybala - 26/7
Higuain - 23/4
Mandzukic - 10-3

With Juve, you have a poor keeper, an aging backline and a funtional midfield with very little creative spark, McKennie seems to be the only one in there capable of getting goals.

He may restrict patterns of play because he is now more of a target man, and he is heavily relying on his poaching instincts, that argument I can see, but if he is still knocking in up on 40 goals a season he is not the problem. If you were relying on Morata, Chiesa and Dybala in those areas they'd have a lot less goals and be further down the table.

Gonçalo Motta

The only thing that I can agree with is that Juventus is a worse team with Ronaldo because of the impact it has on their wage structure and therefore they can't really properly invest in other areas they really need (and that's not exactly Ronaldo's fault). That's about it.

In terms of game performances, Ronaldo is one of the few players that you can't really blame for their season. Yeah, he is not as consistent as he used to be but still scored 36 goals and 5 assists in 44 games.
It's funny how people jump the Dybala bandwagon as their best player in the last 3 seasons when he had an awful season and in the last 2 seasons, he wasn't anything special bar a few periods where he was world-class.

Swap Dybala performances with Ronaldo performances and most people would be saying that Ronaldo is pretty much done at the top level and Dybala is the player keeping this Juventus side alive.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

This makes no sense. If it were true, then it would've been true at Madrid as well. You just don't blame a player who scored 36 and 37 goals in consecutive seasons for a team's lack of success. You can however blame the manager for not taking adequate measures to effectively build around your star player.

Born2Lose

There were plenty on here who didn't want him when he signed for Juve.

He's never been hipster flavour of the month on here.

justsomebloke

Total nonsense. Haaland had similar number of goals and assists as Ronaldo this season, and Dortmund has been playing poorly at times as compared to their previous season without Haaland, and they almost fail to qualify for CL too, you could make exact same specific argument against Haaland based on exact same reasons you’ve used against Ronaldo, to claim he makes Dortmund function less as a team. It’s just absolutely ridiculous.
I don't argue that, because a) that would be wholly absurd and b) as I've pointed out, the argument against Ronaldo isn't that he's scored too many goals, nor that anyone who scores a lot of goals has a detrimental effect on his team. But okay, this is how you choose see it. I think that doesn't address the arguments against Ronaldo's impact on Juventus in any meaningful way. We'll just have to leave it at that.

justsomebloke

This makes no sense. If it were true, then it would've been true at Madrid as well. You just don't blame a player who scored 36 and 37 goals in consecutive seasons for a team's lack of success. You can however blame the manager for not taking adequate measures to effectively build around your star player.
Why would it necessarily have been true at Madrid as well? He was younger and a better player overall, and also surrounded by a more star-studded and balanced team than he is at Juventus, or would be with us. Also, I'm not arguing that Ronaldo is solely to blame for Juventus' troubles, just that adding Ronaldo doesn't seem to have made them a better team. Football is an eleven-man game after all and it's not just about your individual performance.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why would it necessarily have been true at Madrid as well? He was younger and a better player overall, and also surrounded by a more star-studded and balanced team than he is at Juventus, or would be with us. Also, I'm not arguing that Ronaldo is solely to blame for Juventus' troubles, just that adding Ronaldo doesn't seem to have made them a better team. Football is an eleven-man game after all and it's not just about your individual performance.
So you're finally conceding that its not all on him, but rather also on the strength of his supporting cast. Good to know.

Adding Ronaldo to a team that is improving and also adding other good players would therefore seem to be a pretty good move, especially with Chelsea, Liverpool, and City all seeking to improve their already strong squads for next year.

Red71

This all sounds rather familiar to me. I seem to remember similar arguments about RVN back in the day and how him being a focus held us back. It was apparently only when he was replaced with Saha that we started to function as a fluid team and started winning the big pots more consistently.

justsomebloke

They have but it's easier to pin the blame on Ronaldo, rather than say it's actually amazing he scores so many goals when he has under performers around him.

This season 16 players scored for Juve. Last season it was 17, the top 3 in both combining with the most goal inputs.

20/2021 (g/a)
Chiesa - 14/10
Morata - 20/12
Ronaldo - 36/4

19/2020
Ronaldo - 37/7
Dybala - 17/14
Higuain - 11/8

Behind these 3 the next best is Kulusevski at getting goals and assists with 7/7. Amazingly Cuadrado has 19 assists.

Dybala, Rabiot, Ramsey, Arthur all on big money - contributed feck all this season.

Now look at the season before Ronaldo arrived, 14 goal scorers. But still condensed mostly across 3 players.

17/2018 (g/a)

Dybala - 26/7
Higuain - 23/4
Mandzukic - 10-3

With Juve, you have a poor keeper, an aging backline and a funtional midfield with very little creative spark, McKennie seems to be the only one in there capable of getting goals.

He may restrict patterns of play because he is now more of a target man, and he is heavily relying on his poaching instincts, that argument I can see, but if he is still knocking in up on 40 goals a season he is not the problem. If you were relying on Morata, Chiesa and Dybala in those areas they'd have a lot less goals and be further down the table.
Surely this overlooks the possibility that Ronaldo's presence might have something to do with Dybala, Higuain et al suddenly scoring a lot less? And when you're going into big knockout games in the CL, is it better to rely so completely for your scoring on a single, ageing player? These figures illustrate rather than contradict the points being made about team balance and over-reliance on someone who is no longer so great that he can carry a top team on his own.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This all sounds rather familiar to me. I seem to remember similar arguments about RVN back in the day and how him being a focus held us back. It was apparently only when he was replaced with Saha that we started to function as a fluid team and started winning the big pots more consistently.
This had nothing to do with Ruud and everything to do with Ronaldo and Rooney hitting stride and turning into world beaters, the additions of Vidic and Evra, adding Tevez and of course having Scholes, Giggs et all. contributing as well.

Oranges038

Surely this overlooks the possibility that Ronaldo's presence might have something to do with Dybala, Higuain et al suddenly scoring a lot less? And when you're going into big knockout games in the CL, is it better to rely so completely for your scoring on a single, ageing player? These figures illustrate rather than contradict the points being made about team balance and over-reliance on someone who is no longer so great that he can carry a top team on his own.

What is shows is that he is still the best goalscorer they have. You can say his style of play is not good for the team as a whole but on the other hand you could also say he's scores nearly 40 goals a seaon, noone else is going to get that. I posted the season before he came in and the 3 main scorers together score more with Ronaldo's contribution than before he arrived.

Dybala has regressed in the last two years. Probably because he feels overshadowed by Ronaldo.

Higuain became a fat old man.

Red71

This had nothing to do with Ruud and everything to do with Ronaldo and Rooney hitting stride and turning into world beaters, the additions of Vidic and Evra, adding Tevez and of course having Scholes, Giggs et all. contributing as well.
I didn’t make the arguments Raoul, I’m just saying it all sounds very familiar. Plenty of posters were of the opinion that everything going through Rudd was counter productive. I’ve been lurking on the Caf long enough to have heard it all!

I’ve not been 100% sold on getting Ronaldo back personally but all of my United supporting friends and family seem to be. I’m slowly warming to it because I don’t think it can ever be a bad thing to have another winner at the club. His obsessive mentality and focus would almost certainly rub off on the squad which could be golden for us, plus he knows where the goals are obviously! Could’ve done with that over the course of the season gone...

Red71

Being able to go a bit more direct with Ronnie up top actually wouldn’t be the worse thing in the World either. I think Ole likes to have different options at his disposal...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I didn’t make the arguments Raoul, I’m just saying it all sounds very familiar. Plenty of posters were of the opinion that everything going through Rudd was counter productive. I’ve been lurking on the Caf long enough to have heard it all!

I’ve not been 100% sold on getting Ronaldo back personally but all of my United supporting friends and family seem to be. I’m slowly warming to it because I don’t think it can ever be a bad thing to have another winner at the club. His obsessive mentality and focus would almost certainly rub off on the squad which could be golden for us, plus he knows where the goals are obviously! Could’ve done with that over the course of the season gone...
Ahh ok, sorry for the mix up then. :)

chicha14

Whoever is against this signing, give your head a wobble. He would improve us greatly and would immediately raise the demands and expectations from those around him in the same way Bruno has.

I also don't get the fuss around him stunting the growth of youngsters, he would help them and they could learn loads from him and give youngsters a taste of what hard work and dedication can achieve.

In two years from now we can have Rashford(25), Greenwood(21), and Amad(21) leading the line for us

Status
Not open for further replies.