Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I swear people are going on like he is 50 years of age and plays like he is 90 years

A 36yo Ronaldo is like a 25 yo Rooney he will easily be scoring for fun at 40.

He has looked after himself all his career to keep playing at the highest level is totally dedicated and a born winner yet people think he should be a back up should Martial look tired with ten minutes to go
Yup, he's still really good and would be interesting to see him in the premier league again as he's not the same player he was before. He's a very committed professional that makes everything possible to keep himself in top form but being in his mid 30s he can't really recover as fast as someone in their early 20s so he's at a stage where, ideally, he shouldn't be playing every game.

I say this because at Real Madrid he would usually be quite fatigued at the end of the season and that hurt the team performances on UCL, cups and league towards the end when the pressure is at it's peak. Then he started to take longer preseason time to recover his fitness and he wasn't playing as many games and that when he took his performances in the UCL to another level and was finishing the seasons in quite good condition.

Valencia Shin Crosses

There's this weird hesitance from our fans with Ronaldo, and I can't understand where it comes from. Obviously no one wants us emptying the clip and splurging 80m for him at his age but half that? 30? Even less? For the best striker in the world bar Lewandoski? Yeah I think you do the fecking deal. He instantly takes the team up a level, not even counting potential DM/RW/CB signings that we also need. There's also probably not a better role model for anyone in the squad to look up to in terms of pure dedication to his craft and constantly trying to improve.

All that being said, I'd be shocked if it actually happened. But my god the reluctance makes no sense.

LuckyScout78

With Ronaldo. But still lacking a world class CB and nr.8. If Pogba hit that level or Bruno as new nr.8 or external solution.
And RW. Maybe Greenwood and Diallo good enough in a winning team.

I think United are still are 3-4 world class players away to win premier league. The central spine is really important.

A top CB. CM? A big question. Still unsure about Pogba. If Pogba is leaving. Then Manuel Locatelli on of the best replacement. A really good upcoming all round CM player. But a bit better with the ball and creative.

De Gea + Bissaka - Tiago Djalo - Maguire - Shaw + Greenwood - McTom- Pogba/Locatelli - Ronaldo + Bruno + Rashford/Cavani. And depend on the depth of the squad.

But Ronaldo is a short term solution and goal. Sancho + Raphinha/Kvicha would be both short and long term.

Sancho will make immediately impact. Same as Raphinha for Leeds in first season. Same as Kvicha. All those wide players are true qualities and real deals. I really like Ronaldo. But think for long term too. Be best about 3-5 years time from now too ;)

Team for the future :

Tiago Djalo from Lille, 2000. CB/RB/DM
Edmond Tabsoba . Leverkusen. 1999. CB
Kvicha, Rubin. 2001
Sancho , 2000
Raphinha , Leeds - 1996, 24 . RW

United current players:
Greenwood , 2001
Rashford , 1997

Line them up:

Bissaka - Tiago Djalo - Tabsoba/Maguire - Shaw

Raphinha/Diallo - McTom/Garner - Locatelli/Pogba - Sancho/Kvicha + Bruno/Greenwood + Rashford/Cavani

Personally I like this young and future line up more than with Ronaldo. IF, of course if United can get those players.

Last edited:

lenny_1248

Tiago Djalo from Lille, 2000. CB/RB/DM
Kvicha, Rubin. 2001
Ridiculous.
They are not even Newcastle level players.
Do you make your judgments based on FM?

Khvicha is a 20-year old winger from Russian league.
We already have young wingers who are more talented than him.
Literally, it's the last thing we need now...

Woziak

I’ve thought long and hard about this, and even remember his winning mentality having such a profound effect on the Portuguese national team from the bench when he was injured in the 2016 Final.

He’s won it all apart from World Cup and there is a part of me that believes that he still has the special X factor to win you tight games and raise other people’s performances, he’s seriously underrated as a leader and would be united Captain day one for 2 years, but here’s the thing, if Ole fails with Ronaldo In the team, there is enough to suggest that Christiano clearly thinks he could manage a club as big as united the moment he hangs up his boots and therefore Ole is creating a problem
for himself, great players don’t always make great managers, just ask Sir Bobby Charlton, Alan Shearer, Maradona, Andrea Pirlo and Palo Maldini and some great players do like Cruyff, Zidane, Ancelotti, Beckenbauer and Frank Rijkaard.

I’ll leave you all to contemplate which side Ronaldo the player thinks he would fall into as Ronaldo the Coach ?

Don’t we as a club need just a little bit of that Portuguese Arrogance and swagger, Mourinho had the arrogance but he never had the Swag !

markhughes

Rotating Ronaldo and Cavani would keep them both fresh and ensure we always have top quality up front, Ronaldo probably wants to play every game though!

Gonçalo Motta

There's this weird hesitance from our fans with Ronaldo, and I can't understand where it comes from. Obviously no one wants us emptying the clip and splurging 80m for him at his age but half that? 30? Even less? For the best striker in the world bar Lewandoski? Yeah I think you do the fecking deal. He instantly takes the team up a level, not even counting potential DM/RW/CB signings that we also need. There's also probably not a better role model for anyone in the squad to look up to in terms of pure dedication to his craft and constantly trying to improve.

All that being said, I'd be shocked if it actually happened. But my god the reluctance makes no sense.
Some people are just butthurt that he didn't spend the best part of his career with a Man Utd shirt although he gave so much to this club and won pretty much everything.

I kinda get how some people feel that way though. Man Utd bought him and developed him into one of the best players to ever play the game and he left at the start of his peak but he did win everything here so as a professional that's the right time to find a new challenge, especially if you always had a dream to play for another club.

Both parties won imo, we had a special player that gave us special moments while winning the major titles and individual awards and sold him for 80M (back then it was a massive value for a player). It's not exactly his fault that we never managed to get a proper replacement and wasted that money.

Last edited:

Siorac

Some people are just butthurt that he didn't spend the best part of his career with a Man Utd shirt although he gave so much to this club and won pretty much everything.
Well, there's that, sure.

But also:
- He's 36 and still demands to play every game.
- We'd have to pay a transfer fee, as well as his massive wages.
- Signing him didn't elevate Juventus; you can say it's been overall a poor piece of business for them and they'd have been better off using that money to properly refresh the squad.

We should steer well clear.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

And you're completely ignoring the massive wages and signing on fee? We've finally lowered our wage bill and you want to feck it all up by bringing a player that's close to retirement? If we get him he'll easily take at least 30% of our entire wage budget

Woziak

And you're completely ignoring the massive wages and signing on fee? We've finally lowered our wage bill and you want to feck it all up by bringing a player that's close to retirement? If we get him he'll easily take at least 30% of our entire wage budget
Wage budget is approximately £250M per year, are you saying that we would pay Ronaldo 80M per year because if so that’s £1.4m per week , currently two to three times what he currently earns !!

Christiano would be on a simple 2 year deal for £35m or £17.5M per year
And probably a 30-40m transfer fee as Juventus want him off their wage bill!

The real question is if we won on EPL in that 2 year period would an investment of £65-75M be worth it on a short term basis and would Greenwood, Rashford, Janes Sancho * or Amad improve their football education?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Rotating Ronaldo and Cavani would keep them both fresh and ensure we always have top quality up front, Ronaldo probably wants to play every game though!
They can probably play together also. Ronaldo and Cavani both don't mind working channels in periods to accommodate, and cutting in. Saw Ronaldo to that when Andre Silva came off the bench for Portugal for example.

Rashford won't play every game either so I'm sure there's a lot of minutes to be shared.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Wage budget is approximately £250M per year, are you saying that we would pay Ronaldo 80M per year because if so that’s £1.4m per week , currently two to three times what he currently earns !!

Christiano would be on a simple 2 year deal for £35m or £17.5M per year
And probably a 30-40m transfer fee as Juventus want him off their wage bill!

The real question is if we won on EPL in that 2 year period would an investment of £65-75M be worth it on a short term basis and would Greenwood, Rashford, Janes Sancho * or Amad improve their football education?
We're talking about Ronaldo here. Do you think he went to Juve because of good will?

Woziak

We're talking about Ronaldo here. Do you think he went to Juve because of good will?
Nope he received what he was worth as a 32 year old freak of nature the fact they gave him a long contract at that age tells you everything and the fact that he will be the only 36 year old in the game who merits a two year contract worth £17-18M per year and a transfer fee worth £40m tells you everything because after the Euros we won’t be the only club willing to take such a calculated risk on CR7 he still gets 25-30 PL goals next season in either United or Chelsea ?

The White Pele

If it was a reasonable transfer fee and we were doing it as a stop gap to replace an outgoing Martial then I could maybe get on board with this.

The big concern would be Greenwood’s playing time and his development should be a big priority for us.

No doubt though that having Bruno and Ronaldo in the same team would give us an elite mentality which would I think in turn bring the best out of Pogba also. That’s a pretty exciting thought.

———————Ronaldo/MG/EC
Rashford/JS/DJ——————Sancho/MG/AD
————————————Bruno
——————Pogba

It’s frightening really. You could pretty much guarantee starting a world class front 3 in every game with options from the bench. You would almost need there to be a few injuries just to keep the squad harmony. You certainly wouldn’t have Rashford playing through a whole season at less than 100%.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I do love the idea of us bringing in Sancho and Ronaldo in one summer.
But we've had the Ronaldo stories every year for a decade now. It never happens, it will never happen etc etc

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He’d absolutely soak up all the pressure from outside but he can also be more demanding of his teammates than anyone these lads have played with. So, some will probably improve for it and others will wilt when Ronaldo throws a tantrum at every overhit pass.
Imagine Rashford or Greenwood going for a goal which went off target, instead of an easy pass to the unmarked Ronaldo, which would 100% end up with eagle eye death stare from a very frustrated Ronaldo… and this could either push them to work to their limit…. or could totally crash their confidence level

lsd

The Oracle
Imagine Rashford or Greenwood going for a goal which went off target, instead of an easy pass to the unmarked Ronaldo, which would 100% end up with eagle eye death stare from a very frustrated Ronaldo… and this could either push them to work to their limit…. or could totally crash their confidence level

I always see stuff like this and never really understand it it.

How could a professional footballer react badly if another player moans at them for not passing?

It happens in football all the time and I'm sure it's brushed off for what it is

I remember people saying Cole lost confidence because Eric used to throw his hands up when he missed and thought it was nonsense.

If the guy could form a terrific partnership with Teddy Sheringham who he hated im sure he could handle a strop from Cantona

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Nope he received what he was worth as a 32 year old freak of nature the fact they gave him a long contract at that age tells you everything and the fact that he will be the only 36 year old in the game who merits a two year contract worth £17-18M per year and a transfer fee worth £40m tells you everything because after the Euros we won’t be the only club willing to take such a calculated risk on CR7 he still gets 25-30 PL goals next season in either United or Chelsea ?
From sporting perspective there is no incentive for him back to Manchester. He won everything in England already. If Mbappe leaves PSG I can see CR7 move there.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If that sort of thing crashes their confidence level, they probably should not be playing for Man Utd or any top club. You would never go anywhere with such fragile mentality where you lose confidence with a bit of stick from your teammate.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
He reached 300 million followers on instagram this week. The most of anyone on instagram.
Nice fun money account.

According to Forbes, Ronaldo earns nearly $1 million per paid post on Instagram and has the second-highest income from Instagram-related revenue at $23.3 million.Jan 30, 2020

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He reached 300 million followers on instagram this week. The most of anyone on instagram.
Nice fun money account.
And there are people who think Juventus suffers alot financially from paying that much money to Ronaldo, who is their top goalscorer by far anyway.
Alot of those 300 millions followers may also follows Juventus game while Ronaldo is playing there, imagine how much money it could generate to the club.

macheda14

Cavani gives them shit when the same happens. Although at least with Greenwood he does seem to offer advice rather than strop which Ronnie does.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Cavani gives them shit when the same happens. Although at least with Greenwood he does seem to offer advice rather than strop which Ronnie does.
Well having witnessed Ronaldo death stare for over a decade, I think its quite clear that Ronaldo's death stare would usually make a little more impact than other players doing similar thing. Its not something you would like to experience if you are low on confidence for sure.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
This myth will never die.
What myth? You talking about shirt sales?

If Ronaldo singed it would put Utd in a much stronger position when negotiating new sponsorships etc..

His name alone would bring in a lot of extra cash

Ps. I’m not saying we should sign him by the way

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well, there's that, sure.

But also:
- He's 36 and still demands to play every game.
- We'd have to pay a transfer fee, as well as his massive wages.
- Signing him didn't elevate Juventus; you can say it's been overall a poor piece of business for them and they'd have been better off using that money to properly refresh the squad.

We should steer well clear.
I am with "Ronaldo should move to PSG" camp instead. But here's the counter arguments just for argument sake:
- He's 36 and still top scorer in the league
- He has reach 300m followers in instagram, which also means he has by far the highest commercial value out of all sportsperson in the world. The income he earns from instagram alone is higher than his Juventus salary, this makes his "massive wages" looks like peanuts.
- True, but not even Messi could elevate Barca, nor could Haaland+Sancho elevate Dortmund, nor could Mbappe+Neymar elevate PSG. What do you expect from 36 years old Ronaldo for that price?

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What myth? You talking about shirt sales?

If Ronaldo singed it would put Utd in a much stronger position when negotiating new sponsorships etc..

His name alone would bring in a lot of extra cash

Ps. I’m not saying we should sign him by the way
For a club like Man Utd which is already a global brand, the additional commercial value of Ronaldo or any star is marginal. Shirt sales don't suddenly skyrocket, sponsors don't suddenly start offering you way more money. It doesn't work like that. Most of the shirt sales are to people who would have bought the shirt anyway. Only difference is this time, they have Ronaldo on the back it. Furthermore, sponsorship deals are designed in such a way that vast majority of proceeds of sale from shirts go to the kit manufacturer anyway.
Why are Juve so desperate to get him off the wage bill if he's paying for himself? The vast majority of Ronaldo's value or any star will always be about what they do on the pitch. That's how they repay their outlay. Commercial deals or whatever remains a myth.

Barry Red

Just my two pence worth on Ronaldo... He's that unique type of player who is so valuable that he gets to choose where his next club is.. we can all agree on that. And how many clubs would appeal to him? Answer... only a handful as he wants to succeed to a level that no other player has and I'm certain he has 1000 career goals in mind. Now money isn't the issue to him.. he's already got more millions that he can possible spend and a massive incopme stream from off-field interests. To him the only importance of salary is that the amount he gets reflects the value the club have of him - it's a matter of respect more than greed. We all have one thing in common.. we would love him to come back to OT for a couple of seasons not only for his on field performances but as a role model to the young players, but let's be realistic. Even with Cristiano in the team what are we going to win? Do we have the squad depth to challenge for the PL? the Champions League? IMHO, based on being a fan for almost 60 years, I don't think we yet have the strength in depth to win anything on an international level. I like the youth squad, but they are a couple of years away from being ready to step up. I like Ole but let's face facts, he has made some alarming tactical cockups this last season. I like the fact that we are using former players in the coaching setup but I'm sure we all agree that defensive coaching is below par. And bringing in one marquee player isn't going to put all that right. And Cristiano is a very cute puppy indeed... he won't miss all that, which is why I think that if he does make a move from Juve it will be to PSG, despite the income tax structure in France.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
For a club like Man Utd which is already a global brand, the additional commercial value of Ronaldo or any star is marginal. Shirt sales don't suddenly skyrocket, sponsors don't suddenly start offering you way more money. It doesn't work like that. Most of the shirt sales are to people who would have bought the shirt anyway. Only difference is this time, they have Ronaldo on the back it. Furthermore, sponsorship deals are designed in such a way that vast majority of proceeds of sale from shirts go to the kit manufacturer anyway.
Why are Juve so desperate to get him off the wage bill if he's paying for himself? The vast majority of Ronaldo's value or any star will always be about what they do on the pitch. That's how they repay their outlay. Commercial deals or whatever remains a myth.
Yeh but think about the 300m followers Ronaldo would bring, and the fact that we are no longer the biggest football brand like during Fergie era. Its foolish to think he wouldn't add any significant commercial value to us. I mean, Barca was a big brand, and they are still ok to pay Messi 550m in past 4 years with profits generated (before COVID hits them). And Ronaldo wouldn't even cost us 1/3 of it.

I mean, lets look at our current followings in instagram:

Pogba - 45m followings
De Gea - 11m followings
Rashford - 10m followings
Cavani - 8m followings
Martial - 6m folowings
Bruno - 5m folowings
Shaw - 3m folowings
Greenwood - 2.5m folowings
Maguire - 2.3m folowings

Man Utd - 137m followings (total social media followings from 2 years ago)

Then look at what Ronaldo could bring us:

Ronaldo - 300m followings

Last edited:

Gonçalo Motta

This myth will never die.
What myth? :confused:

If you are talking about that the merchandise sales alone will pay for his fee, that's a myth for sure since the club only gets a percentage from those sales. Usually its around 10/20%.

With that said, having an iconic player like Ronaldo with his massive fan base, does help in the financial aspect since its easier to get better sponsorships, you get a merchandise boost, stocks value rise, more people following in social media, therefore "new man Utd fans" and that usually translates into more sales, more views, etc.

And yeah, Man Utd is probably one of those clubs that wouldn't benefit that much with that boost because it wouldn't be as big as it was at Juventus for example.

Buying Ronaldo it's still a good move for the right fee and acceptable wages. He is still a world-class player, but it's really not worth paying him like half a million per week at this stage in his career.

Last edited:

Pep's Suit

I'll never understand what people gain from following footballers on social media. It's only advertisement or nonsense posts from some 21-years-old guy's head they pay to run it for them.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Given we are highly unlikely to get either Kane or Halaand, we should pour everything (once Sancho joins) into persuading Ronaldo to come home: he guarantees you goals - very important ones more often than not

croadyman

Given we are highly unlikely to get either Kane or Halaand, we should pour everything (once Sancho joins) into persuading Ronaldo to come home: he guarantees you goals - very important ones more often than not
Yeah logic goes out of the window now and could live with McFred if we have Jadon, Edi & Ronny

Status
Not open for further replies.