Cristiano Ronaldo (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibbs

He hasn't actually. Cavani has been injured much of the year. Rashford has been out of form. And Greenwood is obviously out. This has nothing to do with Ronaldo, nor is it his problem that Ole didn't work out and that Ralf has been pretty feckless. We are a club that needs a cultural reboot this summer to build around the few top players we already have. Again, these issues have nothing to do with Ronaldo and everything to do with consistently bad decision making for the better part of a decade now.
This

USREDEVIL

Part of me feels horrible for our GOAT, been extremely unlucky. Other part of me says FFS how are you not scoring there?!! So, it's "complicated." If this was Lukaku though, whoooo boy would it be nasty.

Jibbs

I think you have a point here. A lot of people won’t necessarily have followed Ronaldo closely after he left United, so won’t be aware how how his game has developed and adapted to his age. He certainly isn’t the same as 2008 - and I don’t think our team/manager have adapted our game to maximise Ronaldos output. If you have CR7, you know he’s going to start most games, you know he can do the business when he is supplied, but we are just not doing it. He has to come too far away from the goal to get a touch and it’s not working for him. He is frustrated and it’s showing.
I don’t believe he is finished, and I don’t think it should be on Ronaldos shoulders to change the way he plays at his age and status. It’s up to the manager and team to play to his strengths and maximise those of the team too.
Exactly, it pains to see Ronaldo coming middle of the pitch to get his touch. Still think he is 25 goals in a league season striker if you put him in City, Liverpool or Chelsea.

United in sin

Exactly, it pains to see Ronaldo coming middle of the pitch to get his touch. Still think he is 25 goals in a league season striker if you put him in City, Liverpool or Chelsea.
None of Pep, Klopp or Tuchel would touch Ronaldo. Klopp and Tuchel specifically demand more from their forwards. Have you really thought this through considering how those teams play?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He might have declined for good, or he might just be going through a period of poor form right now

Let's not forget the fact that if not for him your club would most likely be playing EL right now

But yeah, as the last 2 seasons made clear, he's no longer capable of lifting a team. Definitely not worth the wages anymore

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Tell me you're a fanboy without telling me you're a fanboy. :lol:
Talk of a truly brain dead line of thought

Dude is 37 years old and has CLEARLY declined. It's not the end of the world, it's expected. In fact it's still quite impressive of him to still have managed to play at this level(as poor as he's been recently, he's still playing in the PL), so there is no need to pretend he's playing at a level he hasn't touched in a minute.
Talk of straw men. People like you simply find it impossible to distinguish between someone defending CR7 against the ludicrous claim he is now rubbish and no longer still amongst the elite players in the world. With denying he is no longer at the peak of his powers.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Unless you can quote someone who thinks Ronnie is shit because he isn't playing like he was 14 years ago then the only embarrassing part here is your strawmanning.
Clearly you don't bother readng the thread. Just because CR7 hasn't been hitting and bedazzling opponemts like his 2008 incarnation. We are being pedal nonsense that he offers nothing on and off the ball, can't hold up play, is bullied physically and constantly gives the ball away. Even inspie of ample to the countary.
Most people think he's shit because they watch him play and see that his overall game is shit, the fact that he's missing a lot of chances is only a part of the problem.
Stupidiest argument Ive heard in here in years. Those of us who are defending him from ludicrous claims like yours do so because we also watch him.

Its a marvel how people expect a 37 year old, forced to play 90 minutes for over a month now, with most of our forwards bar Sancho malfunctioning or absent being labelled shit because he isn't carrying them out of the hole they put them selves in.

Y'all have no shame

Idxomer

He might have declined for good, or he might just be going through a period of poor form right now

Let's not forget the fact that if not for him your club would most likely be playing EL right now

But yeah, as the last 2 seasons made clear, he's no longer capable of lifting a team. Definitely not worth the wages anymore
I don't know, playing those games without a man down could've given us as good a chance against the EL level opponents we've played so far.

ROFLUTION

What's with the threadtitle? It reads like something is official, so maybe change it so it's not misleading?

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Clearly you don't bother readng the thread. Just because CR7 hasn't been hitting and bedazzling opponemts like his 2008 incarnation. We are being pedal nonsense that he offers nothing on and off the ball, can't hold up play, is bullied physically and constantly gives the ball away. Even inspie of ample to the countary.
Stupidiest argument Ive heard in here in years. Those of us who are defending him from ludicrous claims like yours do so because we also watch him.

Its a marvel how people expect a 37 year old, forced to play 90 minutes for over a month now, with most of our forwards bar Sancho malfunctioning or absent being labelled shit because he isn't carrying them out of the hole they put them selves in.

Y'all have no shame
No one is calling him shit because he's not playing like he did in 2008 and no one is calling him shit because he's not carrying the team. You obviously know this since the bolded part correctly describes a few of the biggest reasons why people don't agree with your opinion of him which makes your strawmanning even more strange.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not quite how it works, but sure.
Obviously an exageration, but he scored pretty much all the biggest goals that got you through. And some of those weren't of the kind any great striker would score either

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
After having total non-entity games as a no.9 for half of the games, yeah. It’s a total non-argument because the games could’ve all gone completely different either way with a different striker uptop

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
After having total non-entity games as a no.9 for half of the games, yeah. It’s a total non-argument because the games could’ve all gone completely different either way with a different striker uptop
But you didn't have a different striker up top and he delivered when you desperately needed him to

He's not in 2022, fair enough. We'll see if this lasts or if it's just a rough patch

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If Ronaldo goes then we should go for lewandowski, isn’t he out of contract in the summer? Although I’d prefer a young clinical striker for the long term but lewandowski would be a great signing for a season or 2..: i reckon he puts away half the chances Ronaldo has missed this season.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If Ronaldo goes then we should go for lewandowski, isn’t he out of contract in the summer? Although I’d prefer a young clinical striker for the long term but lewandowski would be a great signing for a season or 2..: i reckon he puts away half the chances Ronaldo has missed this season.
I doubt Lewandowski would leave Bayern, unless Bayern is able to get Haaland. And if Lewandowski were to leave because of say, wages, I could see just about every top club in Europe being after him (PSG, City, Chelsea, Barcelona, us, Juve, maybe even Pool), with the exception of Madrid. I'm kind of hoping we're able to move away from the short term thinking we've adopted for the CF situation post SAF, but yeah, Lewandowski would be a great short term option (were it not a pipedream!) which would allow us to spend money elsewhere! If Madrid sign Haaland, maybe we could try the same with Benzema :lol:

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
I doubt Lewandowski would leave Bayern, unless Bayern is able to get Haaland. And if Lewandowski were to leave because of say, wages, I could see just about every top club in Europe being after him (PSG, City, Chelsea, Barcelona, us, Juve, maybe even Pool), with the exception of Madrid. I'm kind of hoping we're able to move away from the short term thinking we've adopted for the CF situation post SAF, but yeah, Lewandowski would be a great short term option (were it not a pipedream!) which would allow us to spend money elsewhere! If Madrid sign Haaland, maybe we could try the same with Benzema :lol:
Ironically, SAF wanted Lewandowski back in his Dortmund days but they ended up getting RVP and Lewandowski to Madrid is one of the longest running transfer rumours ever.:lol:

Coming to Lewandowski's future, if he were to leave Bayern:
PSG: Doubt he'll go to the French league.
Chelsea: Just splashed 100 mil on Lukaku.
Juventus: Just got Vlahovic.
Liverpool: Against club policy plus won't wanna afford his big wages.

That realistically leaves Barca, City, United and maybe a surprise club.

I think he'll be a great signing for United. People have been predicting his decline for years now(look at the 2017/2018 CAF verdict on him) but the man only gets better with age like fine wine.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

But you didn't have a different striker up top and he delivered when you desperately needed him to

He's not in 2022, fair enough. We'll see if this lasts or if it's just a rough patch
I'm not completely convinced of this narrative. Atalanta only got 6 points in the group. They got 5 points out of 4 games with Villarreal and Young Boys, which had nothing to do with United or Ronaldo at all. The one game that Ronaldo really did carry United, his best performance of the season, was Atalanta away, which got United a draw. That would have instead left the group with Atalanta on 9 points and United on 10 points. United also played a complete second string in the last group game against Young Boys which they more than likely would have won if they needed to.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Ironically, SAF wanted Lewandowski back in his Dortmund days but they ended up getting RVP and Lewandowski to Madrid is one of the longest running transfer rumours ever.:lol:

Coming to Lewandowski's future, if he were to leave Bayern:
PSG: Doubt he'll go to the French league.
Chelsea: Just splashed 100 mil on Lukaku.
Juventus: Just got Vlahovic.
Liverpool: Against club policy plus won't wanna afford his big wages.

That realistically leaves Barca, City, United and maybe a surprise club.

I think he'll be a great signing for United. People have been predicting his decline for years now(look at the 2017/2018 CAF verdict on him) but the man only gets better with age like fine wine.
You're right about Juve - forgot they signed Vlahovic. Though i wouldn't rule out PSG and the money motive etc. There'd be a reason he'd leave Bayern - and it's not just about trophies or competing - money is playing a factor. And at other clubs, he'd get a realistic chance of silverware and money. Though if it were realistic I wouldn't write us off either, despite how some of our own fans view us, we're still a massive pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.