Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshnsh

Oh good. Would you define your terms please?
Did his shit passing happen when RM won 3 CLs in a row and he won 2 Ballon d'Ors?
From season 2015/16 to 2017/18. His ballon d'ors in 2016 and 2017 were due to his goals (total and importance) in the champions league and his goals total at end of season.
Nonesense.
Watch the games.

I have no idea why people are talking about his passing when his overwhelming strength is scoring and he is one of the very best at that in history.

::sonny::

Ronaldo doesn't need to come out. We know what he wants, he wants to leave to a CL challenging club.
1. He should have putted a clause in his contract about this

2. United not qualified for the champions league for 22/23 was evident since Oct 2021

There are not excuses

Red_toad

Who the feck is "we"
Him, the club and a lot of fans who aren’t crazed with hatred of our players. I don’t want Ronaldo to go as I have zero faith the owners will be able to replace him, I’d rather the circus and a lot of goals over relying on martial to make 50 games….

steffyr2

From season 2015/16 to 2017/18. His ballon d'ors in 2016 and 2017 were due to his goals (total and importance) in the champions league and his goals total at end of season.

Watch the games.

I have no idea why people are talking about his passing when his overwhelming strength is scoring and he is one of the very best at that in history.
I want you to explain how you judge his -- or anyone's -- passing as 'shit'.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Him, the club and a lot of fans who aren’t crazed with hatred of our players. I don’t want Ronaldo to go as I have zero faith the owners will be able to replace him, I’d rather the circus and a lot of goals over relying on martial to make 50 games….
So not "we" then, because there's a substantial amount of fans who don't want him here. And you don't have to be "crazed with hatred" to want him gone, either.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So not "we" then, because there's a substantial amount of fans who don't want him here. And you don't have to be "crazed with hatred" to want him gone, either.
And an other substantial amount that doesn't care and therefore isn't desperate for anything.

Red_toad

If you don’t consider yourself as one of the we, that’s fine. You must have more faith in the Glazers than I do, can’t even get a holding midfielder after 2 months, lord help us if we needed a striker in a few weeks

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
If you don’t consider yourself as one of the we, that’s fine. You must have more faith in the Glazers than I do, can’t even get a holding midfielder after 2 months, lord help us if we needed a striker in a few weeks
Got feck all faith in them to be honest, and i think we need another striker in regardless of whether Ronaldo stays or not. We're embarrassingly short in the attacking department.

Greck

He always had great pass in him every now and then, but it's never been one of his greatest strengths.
Imo Ronaldo's passing (at least before his first departure) was actually excellent but he now rarely uses it or tries to set up others so instances to illustrate it are fewer and farther between. It's almost academic because of how little interest he has in getting anyone not named Ronaldo on the scoresheet. I honestly think if he were offered 1 more goal or 5 more assists he would choose the former and think it a bargain.

steffyr2

Imo Ronaldo's passing (at least before his first departure) was actually excellent but he now rarely uses it or tries to set up others so instances to illustrate it are fewer and farther between. It's almost academic because of how little interest he has in getting anyone not named Ronaldo on the scoresheet. I honestly think if he were offered 1 more goal or 5 more assists he would choose the former and think it a bargain.
I'm still waiting for that other guy to explain why he thinks Utd had so many phenomenal passers last year (and then sold those players).

In the meantime....my memory of last year is -- Rashford couldn't/wouldn't do anything besides a north/south run, Greenwood assaulted his girlfriend, Bruno was all over the place launching balls into space, Martial was trying to leave or on loan to some other club, Cavani was on a beach somewhere, Pogba was injured and on a beach in Dubai. Plus there were various defensive players who didn't defend and a midfield that stayed far away from the center of the pitch so the opposition didn't have to zig or zag on their path to our goal.

I actually agree with you except for the motive. Ronaldo has spent 15 years playing for RM and Juventus. The bare minimum skill set at that level is to be able to control the ball and pass it competently. Utd players didn't display that ability last year (and if 3 weeks of ETH has made a difference there, it's criminal that they were allowed to play so badly last year).

MrEleson

When was his passing ever elite level? The guy has always done fairly simple passing and during his last 3 seasons at Madrid, he was shit even at that.
I know assists don’t necessarily correlate with creativity and passing ability but there’s no way a guy who’s shit at passing would have the most assists in CL history and over 200 career assists.

If you look at guys that were elite in other areas of the game and not good at passing, they absolutely didn’t have good assist tallies.

If Ronaldo was a 9 or 10 as an attacking player in other facets of his game in his prime, he would probably be at around a 7.5 in passing.

You have a tendency to belittle every aspect of his game that isn’t scoring.

There’s no way a guy who is subpar at passing could pull this off. Not even once in a while (and with his weaker foot too):

OverratedOpinion

I'm still waiting for that other guy to explain why he thinks Utd had so many phenomenal passers last year (and then sold those players)
For the second time you made a long rambling post trying to argue something I've never said and wasn't the point I was making.

You and the other chap are so entrenched in your love for him that it's tiring to even bother.

You're totally right Ronaldo's poor general play last season was definitely no part in us looking incoherent in attack and players like Sancho and Rashford going from scoring 20 odd goals to scoring about 3. No part at all, he was great and everyone else was the problem.

MrEleson

You're totally right Ronaldo's poor general play last season was definitely no part in us looking incoherent in attack and players like Sancho and Rashford going from scoring 20 odd goals to scoring about 3. No part at all, he was great and everyone else was the problem.
He certainly wasn’t responsible for Sancho and Rashford having below par seasons.

steffyr2

For the second time you made a long rambling post trying to argue something I've never said and wasn't the point I was making.

You and the other chap are so entrenched in your love for him that it's tiring to even bother.

You're still not answering the question. Pony up.

I bolded the relevent section of your post in question to remind you what you posted. See the bolded below -- what's your rationale for saying that? You keep trying to change the subject, I'm not buying.

Can you phrase your question in a way that makes sense as a response to my post?

Ronaldo has literally never been a great passer of the ball if that is what you are asking. Pogba, Bruno, Matic, Sancho and others are significantly better at passing the football than Ronaldo was even at his very best.

My post was not solely about passing though. His hold up play is not great, he gets brushed off the ball too easily, he is not able to consistently make explosive runs and not get caught up with, he doesn't take people on successfully very often. This isn't his fault honestly, he is nearly 40.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

The best bet is we use the available funds to sort the long overdue centre mid issue.
Ronaldo staying 1 more year allows us to scout for a season and go in big on a forward next summer.

Loony BoB

The idea that Rooney thinks he's in with a shot for the United job is laughable and I don't think he's that kind of delusional, really. He's just getting asked questions, most likely, and giving candid feedback much like Neville and Scholes do, and I don't think they are after the job either.

As for what he said, let him go? Sure - but we need high quality replacements and there's nobody willing to join us at that level right now, so unless you're saying sacrifice CL entirely then I don't think it's the right thing to do. I think if we could get in a top quality replacement, we would have let someone else sign him - don't think we'd have let him leave on a free without a striker signed that is a proven scorer, though.

Devil81

The idea that Rooney thinks he's in with a shot for the United job is laughable and I don't think he's that kind of delusional, really. He's just getting asked questions, most likely, and giving candid feedback much like Neville and Scholes do, and I don't think they are after the job either.

As for what he said, let him go? Sure - but we need high quality replacements and there's nobody willing to join us at that level right now, so unless you're saying sacrifice CL entirely then I don't think it's the right thing to do. I think if we could get in a top quality replacement, we would have let someone else sign him - don't think we'd have let him leave on a free without a striker signed that is a proven scorer, though.
Why is it laughable?

Everyone has to aim high and he has the platform.

Rolaholic

Would be shocked if he didn't demand to start tomorrow afters Messi's opening day brace including a worldie today...

croadyman

The best bet is we use the available funds to sort the long overdue centre mid issue.
Ronaldo staying 1 more year allows us to scout for a season and go in big on a forward next summer.
Are we actually going to do that though with De Jong seemingly closer to Chelsea and Ruiz stuff doesn't look to have legs

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Would be shocked if he didn't demand to start tomorrow afters Messi's opening day brace including a worldie today...
Thought that was a given.

Play him for the 1st half and has a strop when he gets taken off. Or play him for the last 20mins and he runs around like a headless chicken and gets pissed off that his teammates are creating chances for him.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

This I absolutely agree with. However I have zero faith in the club identifying AND actually buying that number 9 we need.

We're really fecked as a football club.

Status
Not open for further replies.