Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh 76

Crazy isn't it? He's obviously not the player he once was but the idea that he makes this team worse is insane. Obviously not loved the way he's looked for a route out but we've always known he's a bit of a self obsessed dickhead. That doesn't change that he's still a definite bonus if we have him fit and firing.
I’m not his biggest fan, but I do believe he can be a great squad player for Utd.

matsdf

The only player worthy of wearing our shirt... Regardless if he wants it or not.

criticalanalysis

Should have had an assist and had good off the ball movement.

I keep thinking to myself 'we'll be better off up front with more mobility without Ronaldo' time and time again. It's probably true...if we had Martial up there. With Rashford/Eriksen, it was really bad.

Ronaldo is a proven quality and can offer us a good no.9 threat.

Massive shame about Martial's injury.

Leg-End

Ronaldo Out, Arnautović In is a timeline I didn't want to live through.

RORY65

My reasoning for wanting him to leave has never been due to a belief that he makes the team worse because he's a much better option than the false 9s we can throw out but more that he's 37, he wants to win now, while at best we're entering a multi-year rebuild that doesn't fit his timeline.

Ten Hag doesn't need someone who genuinely is bigger than the club hanging around being unhappy and he doesn't need the constant stories whenever he subs him or he doesn't start a game. If there's anyway to find a resolution where Ronaldo gets to play for a competitive side and we can develop without the constant drama then it suits both parties. That being said, the idea that Arnautovic is the answer is just so grim.

Chip

Obviously he's quite a selfish diva, but it's really hard to blame him for wanting to get out of this dumpster fire. He thought he was joining a club on the verge of being a title contender. Instead he's joined an upper mid-table side with no real ambition.

Xoxo

Supports
Real Madrid
Manchester United should sign a striker and play him alongside cr7

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
He didn’t really offer anything with the ball but his presence got into the heads of the Brighton players and mistakes started to get made.

See, if he had handled this better, we’d all understand him wanting to put this team behind him.

Tyrion

Nah he does not make the team worse. Yes the drama and cost is not worth it anymore to most clubs because of one factor and one factor only: age. "he isn't as good as his fanboys think"... sounds like you didn't like him and don't rate him/took issue with him even during his peak years I might guess?

If so it explains alot of your posts. Now that he is old finally you can pounce.
I never had an issue with him when he was at his best. He was worth any drama then.

His age is only an issue because it effects his performance. He's slower, has less stamina and basically stays in the one position.

That’s not the reason clubs won’t sign him. If he was 27 rather than 37 and had the exact same season he did last year, he would’ve been snapped up in a heartbeat. No question about it.
Not a chance. His age is an issue because it effects his performance. He focuses on scoring goals and nothing else.

Pickle85

Should have had an assist and had good off the ball movement.

I keep thinking to myself 'we'll be better off up front with more mobility without Ronaldo' time and time again. It's probably true...if we had Martial up there. With Rashford/Eriksen, it was really bad.

Ronaldo is a proven quality and can offer us a good no.9 threat.

Massive shame about Martial's injury.
More movement...Martial. those things don't go together.

Rolaholic

Gonna be a true circus show if he stays all season especially with the expected growing pains.

Hope we find a buyer and reinvest in 2 forwards before the end of the window

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
It’s shocking to me that after seeing this absolute shite of an opening game that people believe Ronaldo who was the best player on the team and the only worth a dam is the problem.

United problems run deeep.

IhabX7

We must do everything to keep him this season. Without him, top 4 might be an insurmountable task.

steffyr2

We pressed so much this half. And we’re winning 80-0. No Ronnie no problems.

idiots
Did we press so much? We need to see how great our pressing is without Ronaldo! We need stats!
I'll start --
1. Without Ronaldo -- Concede 2 goals
2. With Ronaldo -- Score 1

MrEleson

I never had an issue with him when he was at his best. He was worth any drama then.

His age is only an issue because it effects his performance. He's slower, has less stamina and basically stays in the one position.

Not a chance. His age is an issue because it effects his performance. He focuses on scoring goals and nothing else.
His age is an issue because he doesn’t have long left at the top. He’s still good enough to be a top aide.

steffyr2

My reasoning for wanting him to leave has never been due to a belief that he makes the team worse because he's a much better option than the false 9s we can throw out but more that he's 37, he wants to win now, while at best we're entering a multi-year rebuild that doesn't fit his timeline.

Ten Hag doesn't need someone who genuinely is bigger than the club hanging around being unhappy and he doesn't need the constant stories whenever he subs him or he doesn't start a game. If there's anyway to find a resolution where Ronaldo gets to play for a competitive side and we can develop without the constant drama then it suits both parties. That being said, the idea that Arnautovic is the answer is just so grim.
I would really like to have more players on the team who want to win now. I don't see that as a flaw in Ronaldo.

RORY65

I would really like to have more players on the team who want to win now. I don't see that as a flaw in Ronaldo.
I don't see it as a flaw either but it isn't happening, let him go and find a club where he might get that. Don't need the circus of Ronaldo all year.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It’s shocking to me that after seeing this absolute shite of an opening game that people believe Ronaldo who was the best player on the team and the only worth a dam is the problem.

This is an argument you’ve conjured up yourself because it’s easier to debate than the reality of the situation.

No one has ever said he is the problem, people have just pointed out he’s one of the many problems this United have. Which was pretty well illustrated today when the manager had to play Eriksen up top because Ronaldo didn’t turn up for the vast majority of preseason.

MrEleson

This is an argument you’ve conjured up yourself because it’s easier to debate than the reality of the situation.

No one has ever said he is the problem, people have just pointed out he’s one of the many problems this United have. Which was pretty well illustrated today when the manager had to play Eriksen up top because Ronaldo didn’t turn up for the vast majority of preseason.
No. People have said he’s the problem by pointing to where United finished the season before his arrival with the same set of players.

Last edited:

BlueHaze

At this stage it honestly makes 0 difference if he leaves or not. We are not going to win nor challenge for any titles with this core group and will struggle to make top 4.

Pickle85

This is a little disingenuous. People primarily pan Ronaldo here because he allegedly offers nothing on the pitch and makes us less effective when he plays. What you seem to be arguing is that his attitude/professionalism is an issue.

witchtrials

Crazy isn't it? He's obviously not the player he once was but the idea that he makes this team worse is insane
If the limit of your ambition is to ride our luck through games with no real plan other than hope for some good saves from De Gea and grab a goal through a moments of individual genius then yeah, we're better without him than not.

But if you want a team set up to press, or even to counter attack, then it makes sense that having an undroppable centre forward in his late 30s is going to be an obstacle to transforming the way we play.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Get this c*nt out of the club asap.

Oh but people say he's the problem.

Ofcourse he's a problem. Did his no show in pre-season (the reason he didnt start today) and him going behind Hag's and United's back to facilitate a move elsewhere go over your lots fecking heads ?

steffyr2

I don't see it as a flaw either but it isn't happening, let him go and find a club where he might get that. Don't need the circus of Ronaldo all year.
Will the other players be sad? Will the fans be sad if the press says mean things?
Honestly, Utd needs to grow a spine (fans and players).

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Get this c*nt out of the club asap.

Oh but people say he's the problem.

Ofcourse he's a problem. Did his no show in pre-season (the reason he didnt start today) and him going behind Hag's and United's back to facilitate a move elsewhere go over your lots fecking heads ?
You do realize they're other players and a Manager who should be able to get the best of whatever team they have don't you? You can't keep blaming Ronaldo for everyone else's inadequacies.

steffyr2

The manager could have started him and taken him off when he ran out of steam, but chose not to. The team he selected gave up 2 goals and lost the game as a result.
And yes, people do say he is the problem.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I don’t care how much you hate Ronaldo, or think it’s embarrassing to your personal idea of the club. The idea of spending this entire season relying on Rashford and Martial, with the unknown potential of a barely tried Garnacho to make up the shortfall of losing Cavani, Greenwood and him, is literally fecking insane.

We have a terrible squad. I don’t care if we have to hogtie good players and kidnap their families to force them to play for us at this point

Godfather

I don’t care how much you hate Ronaldo, or think it’s embarrassing to your personal idea of the club. The idea of spending this entire season relying on Rashford and Martial, with the unknown potential of a barely tried Garnacho to make up the shortfall of losing Cavani, Greenwood and him, is literally fecking insane.

We have a terrible squad. I don’t care if we have to hogtie good players and kidnap their families to force them to play for us at this point
This. Who fecking cares if he plays. Still by far our best striker. Don't even think it's embarrassing. The only embarrassing thing has been our transfer business this summer.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
You do realize they're other players and a Manager who should be able to get the best of whatever team they have don't you? You can't keep blaming Ronaldo for everyone else's inadequacies.
I'm not but he's a problem alongside many other issues within the team and I'd be glad to see the back of him, and he'll be glad to see that back of us (again).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Yeah. He's worth the drama created by twitters those people believe in so. Ronaldo "disrespect" EtH when given advice in friendly game? Well, nothing said when Eriksen did similar in half time of actual game.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Manchester United should sign a striker and play him alongside cr7
It would work, but then you’re stuck shoving someone like Fernandes out of position (not like he plays well in his preferred one anyway)

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yeah. He's worth the drama created by twitters those people believe in so. Ronaldo "disrespect" EtH when given advice in friendly game? Well, nothing said when Eriksen did similar in half time of actual game.
i mean, if you’re rooting for us to lose another position we cant adequately replace (in addition to the two strikers we already haven’t or won’t) solely so you can feel a little more fuzzy about the institution of Manchester United, then you don’t have much footing to talk about actively causing problems…

I don’t care if we treat him like a leper and only bring him on as an impact sub, but the priority has to be a squad with at least some good players in it, surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.