Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eplel

I love that he's calling out the journalists with those cheeky questions.

Loony BoB

Really enjoyed the way ETH handled the media, hope they don't do their traditional scummy move and try to paint him badly because he doesn't tolerate stupid questions.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Its crazy how quickly people forget how elite his link up play and how good of a passer he is if he wants to be. If he truly is back integrated with the team he will be ETH wet dream adding link up play with elite finishing. This video shows a lot of what was United last season in the final third.

The_Midfielder

Its crazy how quickly people forget how elite his link up play and how good of a passer he is if he wants to be. If he truly is back integrated with the team he will be ETH wet dream adding link up play with elite finishing. This video shows a lot of what was United last season in the final third.

All I see is missed goals and mostly by Bruno

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
All I see is missed goals and mostly by Bruno
Ya. United in the final third we’re awful. This notion that United ruined United already non existent fluidity is bollocks.

I love Bruno but he truly was shocking last season when it came to finishing. Very unlike him.

Ronaldo would slot on perfectly in ETH system.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I would call 99% of that "decent" rather than "elite" - but whatever. Nobody presumably denies that Ronaldo is capable of passing the ball to a team mate.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Its crazy how quickly people forget how elite his link up play
It's only really "elite" compared to the options that United have at CF (even then Martials is probably better?) IMO.

Ivan Toney has better link up play than that and he's at Brentford (Although I do think he could be a squad player at a top club).

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ronaldo's link up play last season was nowhere close to elite.
Obviously not.

But if your basic stance is that he's still very close to being a GOAT level player (not historically, not in terms of his career - but here and now), you won't see that.

GreatDane

I love that he's calling out the journalists with those cheeky questions.
Yeah same. I don't think Ronaldo deserves it, but I love how Ten Hag doesn't take shit and won't have any player singled out. Good man.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Sunday. 7th minute. Ronaldo buries one top bins. Crowd go wild. Ronaldo runs towards Ten Hag. Ten Hag runs towards Ronaldo. Double Suiiiii. Big hug. Middle fingers pointed towards press box. Fireworks go off. Brian May is hoisted down and plays a kick ass guitar solo.

OverratedOpinion

He has good moments because he is one of the best football players to ever live.

But let's not pretend like he wasn't incredibly inconsistent in that aspect of his game last season based on a youtube video that is less than 10 minutes after him playing probably 2500 minutes of football.

Especially when a lot of it is him doing the bare minimum you would expect from a Man Utd attacker.

Last edited:

The Firestarter

Sunday. 7th minute. Ronaldo buries one top bins. Crowd go wild. Ronaldo runs towards Ten Hag. Ten Hag runs towards Ronaldo. Double Suiiiii. Big hug. Middle fingers pointed towards press box. Fireworks go off. Brian May is hoisted down and plays a kick ass guitar solo.
8th minute - Pigeon wakes up. Mrs Pigeon kicks him out of the nest to fly and buy some bird food.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
8th minute - Pigeon wakes up. Mrs Pigeon kicks him out of the nest to fly and buy some bird food.
9th minute - Pigeon wakes up again. Mrs left months ago and took the kids and dog. And the house. Pigeon now lives under a bridge tossing off businessmen for Quavers.

Irwin99

On a related note, is it just English journalists that are so painfully insensitive and stupid when asking questions to foreign managers in a new job in a new country or does this happen everywhere?

I mean, speak clearly and concisely, recognize that this human being might be still adjusting to working in a new country. Don't mumble for a start.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
:lol:

steffyr2

Ronaldo's link up play last season was nowhere close to elite.
He has good moments because he is one of the best football players to ever live.

But let's not pretend like he wasn't incredibly inconsistent in that aspect of his game last season based on a youtube video that is less than 10 minutes after him playing probably 2500 minutes of football.

Especially when a lot of it is him doing the bare minimum you would expect from a Man Utd attacker.
Remind me who on Utd last season was an elite passer? My impression was that he simplified his passing last year for the team he was playing with.
Perhaps things will be different this year? Who are the elite passers on the team this year?

OverratedOpinion

Remind me who on Utd last season was an elite passer? My impression was that he simplified his passing last year for the team he was playing with.
Perhaps things will be different this year? Who are the elite passers on the team this year?
Can you phrase your question in a way that makes sense as a response to my post?

Ronaldo has literally never been a great passer of the ball if that is what you are asking. Pogba, Bruno, Matic, Sancho and others are significantly better at passing the football than Ronaldo was even at his very best.

My post was not solely about passing though. His hold up play is not great, he gets brushed off the ball too easily, he is not able to consistently make explosive runs and not get caught up with, he doesn't take people on successfully very often. This isn't his fault honestly, he is nearly 40.

Last edited:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Would be 100x more epic if it's David May though.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ronaldo isn't an "elite" passer by any normal standards - he has never been that.

The fact that we suck in general doesn't make his rather ordinary passing ability any better.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

So many great chances created in that video that were not taken!

Ronaldo is just class, those through balls and flicks he does were perfection

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:lol: Can we skip those drama things, and just straight to Brian May plays a kick ass guitar solo, please?

RVN1991

I would call 99% of that "decent" rather than "elite" - but whatever. Nobody presumably denies that Ronaldo is capable of passing the ball to a team mate.
Pretty sure he had the same problem at Juve, you could make a youtube video of Nunez showing great link up as well.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Pretty sure he had the same problem at Juve, you could make a youtube video of Nunez showing great link up as well.
You could make a YouTube video of Ronaldo looking like a pressing monster if you wanted to - which is the problem with YouTube videos in general.

ETA: If you want to look at YouTube videos for assessing player performances, the only ones that are close to being interesting are those of the "every touch" (for a particular match) variety. And even those could be misleading.

In this particular case, what you have is someone posting a highlight video that actually doesn't show anything beyond 90% bog standard passes that you'd expect any competent attacking player to make - and then it's portrayed as "elite" work.

Last edited:

MrEleson

Ronaldo has literally never been a great passer of the ball if that is what you are asking. Pogba, Bruno, Matic, Sancho and others are significantly better at passing the football than Ronaldo was even at his very best.
Ronaldo isn't an "elite" passer by any normal standards - he has never been that.
Ronaldo’s passing is extremely underrated. His passing at his best is excellent. Not playmaker or GOAT levels but he was a very competent passer of the ball. His crossing with both feet in particular is superb. Sancho isn’t a better passer than Ronaldo at his best, if you’re listing him here.

steffyr2

Can you phrase your question in a way that makes sense as a response to my post?

I wasn’t aware that Utd had so many world class players on their team! Are you sure you didn’t mean to say, “could be significantly better”? Because that array of passing brilliance wasn’t consistently obvious in the last years.

The reason I asked about Pogba etc was that passing is a 2 person event.

My post was not solely about passing though. His hold up play is not great, he gets brushed off the ball too easily, he is not able to consistently make explosive runs and not get caught up with, he doesn't take people on successfully very often. This isn't his fault honestly, he is nearly 40.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Not playmaker or GOAT levels but he was a very competent passer of the ball.
See - this is correct. Nobody presumably denies this.

He was - was - a very competent passer of the ball.

Now he is a competent (not very) passer of the ball at best.

Which is utterly ordinary - yes? Would you expect a starter for Manchester United not to be a competent passer of the ball?

It's like posting videos of your granny walking up the stairs: hey, look - she still got it! Can still get up those stairs - feck the haters!

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
See - this is correct. Nobody presumably denies this.

He was - was - a very competent passer of the ball.

Now he is a competent (not very) passer of the ball at best.

Which is utterly ordinary - yes? Would you expect a starter for Manchester United not to be a competent passer of the ball?

It's like posting videos of your granny walking up the stairs: hey, look - she still got it! Can still get up those stairs - feck the haters!
You are wasting your time. You are dealing with someone who is obsessed

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You are wasting your time. You are dealing with someone who is obsessed
Yeah, probably.

I don't know - actually - why I keep hanging out in this thread.

As in - I don't know why this Ronaldo business should interest me so much. I checked the stats the other day - and I have posted a lot (relatively speaking - I don't post that much these days on the whole and I usually only post after I've had a drink or two) about Ronaldo.

I suppose it touches a nerve of some kind - but precisely what it is, I can't say.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Yeah, probably.

I don't know - actually - why I keep hanging out in this thread.

As in - I don't know why this Ronaldo business should interest me so much. I checked the stats the other day - and I have posted a lot (relatively speaking - I don't post that much these days on the whole and I usually only post after I've had a drink or two) about Ronaldo.

I suppose it touches a nerve of some kind - but precisely what it is, I can't say.
Well it’s a big story and matters at the end of the day, so only natural you would take an interest

It’s a shit situation. I want him gone and have done for quite some time. It might now not happen. If it doesn’t so be it. I want Man Utd to win first. If he stays he will play and I just hope to feck it all works out and he doesn’t cause any more damage

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I just thought for a moment what would happen if Jose was manager. The thermonuclear explosion from the collision of two planet size egos would probably be registered beyond the solar system.
At the beginning of the 2012-13 season, Mourinho's last one at Madrid, we had tremendous expectations for the season. We came second in La Liga with a 15 point gap with Barca, lost in the CL semis to Dortmund and lost in the CdR final to Atletico.

I have no doubt that Ronaldo's half-hearted attitude in the starting third of the season was the reason why we lost to Barca in the league. He wanted an improved contract and seemed to be playing at 80% of his usual self until he finally got it. If we had a proper back-up to Ronaldo and if the entire attack was not centered around Ronaldo (at least when he played poorly), I bet we would have performed better.

Jose, who's stock was at an all time high, never directly blamed him. Instead Jose was cryptic about players not giving 100%, not running as much as previous season, not following instructions, etc. Through dressing room leaks (Iker's wife?) we found out that Ronaldo was the player being referred to by Jose.

Vested interests in the media made it look like Jose was referring to Ramos/Casillas, and when Jose refused to clarify that it was Ronaldo, the dressing room seemed to fall apart - since Ramos/Casillas were influential and there was also a Ronaldo clique. Performance picked up during the last three-quarters of the season but everyone knew Jose was going to leave at the end of the season. The league was decided in favor of Barca by January-end. Would he leave as a CL winner or in disgrace?

steffyr2

At the beginning of the 2012-13 season, Mourinho's last one at Madrid, we had tremendous expectations for the season. We came second in La Liga with a 15 point gap with Barca, lost in the CL semis to Dortmund and lost in the CdR final to Atletico.

I have no doubt that Ronaldo's half-hearted attitude in the starting third of the season was the reason why we lost to Barca in the league. He wanted an improved contract and seemed to be playing at 80% of his usual self until he finally got it. If we had a proper back-up to Ronaldo and if the entire attack was not centered around Ronaldo (at least when he played poorly), I bet we would have performed better.

Jose, who's stock was at an all time high, never directly blamed him. Instead Jose was cryptic about players not giving 100%, not running as much as previous season, not following instructions, etc. Through dressing room leaks (Iker's wife?) we found out that Ronaldo was the player being referred to by Jose.

Vested interests in the media made it look like Jose was referring to Ramos/Casillas, and when Jose refused to clarify that it was Ronaldo, the dressing room seemed to fall apart - since Ramos/Casillas were influential and there was also a Ronaldo clique. Performance picked up during the last three-quarters of the season but everyone knew Jose was going to leave at the end of the season. The league was decided in favor of Barca by January-end. Would he leave as a CL winner or in disgrace?
At some point, you guys are going to start blaming Ronaldo for global warming.

Ronaldo played on at RM for many more years, multiple CL wins, multiple awards, etc. Seems like you are the minority in your opinion. Wasn't the controversy that Casillas was thought to be giving out secrets to Barcelona and the press?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
At some point, you guys are going to start blaming Ronaldo for global warming.

Ronaldo played on at RM for many more years, multiple CL wins, multiple awards, etc. Seems like you are the minority in your opinion. Wasn't the controversy that Casillas was thought to be giving out secrets to Barcelona and the press?
The controversy started with Casillas because his wife was a reporter. But it continued beyond that with Mourinho allegedly losing it and one day claiming that Ronaldo betrayed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.