Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
At some point, you guys are going to start blaming Ronaldo for global warming.
I've literally admitted to joining this forum only because I'm a Ronaldo fan-boy.
Ronaldo played on at RM for many more years, multiple CL wins, multiple awards, etc.
We are talking about his last season under Mourinho.
Wasn't the controversy that Casillas was thought to be giving out secrets to Barcelona and the press?
Yes - that was a controversy - and a part of the leak was Ronaldo's deteriorating relationship with Jose and the dressing room split.

lsd

The Oracle
On a related note, is it just English journalists that are so painfully insensitive and stupid when asking questions to foreign managers in a new job in a new country or does this happen everywhere?

I mean, speak clearly and concisely, recognize that this human being might be still adjusting to working in a new country. Don't mumble for a start.

He just seemed to crumble once Ten Hag asked him to clarify what he was saying im surprised he didn't burst into tears and run away

steffyr2

The controversy started with Casillas because his wife was a reporter. But it continued beyond that with Mourinho allegedly losing it and one day claiming that Ronaldo betrayed him.
I just remember the alleged Spanish/Portuguese split and Jose implying that Casillas/Ramos/rest of the Spanish players were too buddy buddy with Barcelona.
Didn't Jose head butt someone? Probably was Ronaldo's fault.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I just remember the alleged Spanish/Portuguese split and Jose implying that Casillas/Ramos/rest of the Spanish players were too buddy buddy with Barcelona.
Didn't Jose head butt someone? Probably was Ronaldo's fault.
The first one is a different story and not a big deal. The story that you were thinking about is about Mourinho and the local press, he was under pressure with people within the club being allegedly critical and he thought that the source was Casillas, the other big story was an "altercation" with a big player at half time, for a while people didn't know who that was and it was later "revealed" that it was with Ronaldo and that Mourinho was the instigator, apparently the part that surprised everyone was that Ronaldo who was supposed to be calm didn't back-off and had to be restrained.

GL21

Feck Ronaldo. He was the only one playing that cleared off early. ETH deflected this (and probably rightly so to protect the team from the circus heat) but it doesn't take away from the fact the manboy only thought of himself when he showered his greasy hair and put on his CR7 monks then stormed out. I absolutely cannot tolerate the cnut now. Always had my reserves since the flirting with Madrid but he's now clearly a self obsessed tool for everyone to see.

steffyr2

The first one is a different story and not a big deal. The story that you were thinking about is about Mourinho and the local press, he was under pressure with people within the club being allegedly critical and he thought that the source was Casillas, the other big story was an "altercation" with a big player at half time, for a while people didn't know who that was and it was later "revealed" that it was with Ronaldo and that Mourinho was the instigator, apparently the part that surprised everyone was that Ronaldo who was supposed to be calm didn't back-off and had to be restrained.
No, what I'm thinking of happened during a game during Jose's 1st season there (maybe? It's been a while.). Don't remember when or where or really what happened. Must have been against Barcelona at some point and the Barca players/fans were just shocked shocked about it.

Didn't know anything about a Jose/Ronaldo bust-up. Seems believable.
Feck Ronaldo. He was the only one playing that cleared off early. ETH deflected this (and probably rightly so to protect the team from the circus heat) but it doesn't take away from the fact the manboy only thought of himself when he showered his greasy hair and put on his CR7 monks then stormed out. I absolutely cannot tolerate the cnut now. Always had my reserves since the flirting with Madrid but he's now clearly a self obsessed tool for everyone to see.
Does Ronaldo have greasy hair? Is that a bad thing?

MrEleson

I mean, considering the media have been writing stories about him all summer, it makes sense why he has said nothing to them. It’s not the first time he has ignored everything completely.

Seems like those at the club know what’s really happening which is all that matters.

So G.Neville’s opinion isn’t really important here.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Did Neville ask his beloved Keane to do an interview to clear things when the later wanted to move to City?

GreatDane

I mean, considering the media have been writing stories about him all summer, it makes sense why he has said nothing to them. It’s not the first time he has ignored everything completely.

Seems like those at the club know what’s really happening which is all that matters.

So G.Neville’s opinion isn’t really important here.
They have been writing stores because he keeps adding wood to the fire.
He could easily have stopped all the stories if he wanted to. It's all about him.

AndySmith1990

"we're desperate for him to stay"

Don't make me laugh. Real Madrid were happy for him to leave off the back of 3 CLs, and then Juventus were happy for him to leave when it was obvious he wasn't worth the money, but at 37 and after a summer where he didn't bother turning up to work, and got rejected by every big club in Europe, we - Manchester United - apparently desperately want him to stay? feck off

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
"we're desperate for him to stay"

Don't make me laugh. Real Madrid were happy for him to leave off the back of 3 CLs, and then Juventus were happy for him to leave when it was obvious he wasn't worth the money, but at 37 and after a summer where he didn't bother turning up to work, and got rejected by every big club in Europe, we - Manchester United - apparently desperately want him to stay? feck off
It's because we didn't sign any strikers. But yeah, we do feel like a small club now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
When did Roy Keane want to join City? If you mean Rooney he says him and Giggs spoke to Rooney when the nonsense about him leaving broke before a CL game and Rooney apologised to the squad.
Keane, Kane, Kanu. They're all the same person.

GMoore23

Sunday. 7th minute. Ronaldo buries one top bins. Crowd go wild. Ronaldo runs towards Ten Hag. Ten Hag runs towards Ronaldo. Double Suiiiii. Big hug. Middle fingers pointed towards press box. Fireworks go off. Brian May is hoisted down and plays a kick ass guitar solo.
Would be 100x more epic if it's David May though.
Ed Woodward hoisted down in a Mickey Mouse costume would be more appropriate.

prateik

Its crazy how quickly people forget how elite his link up play and how good of a passer he is if he wants to be. If he truly is back integrated with the team he will be ETH wet dream adding link up play with elite finishing. This video shows a lot of what was United last season in the final third.

Can someone forward this to some gullible clubs so they take him off us?

AndySmith1990

Can someone forward this to some gullible clubs so they take him off us?
Unfortunately for us clubs use actual data and video footage, rather than taking scouting advice from teenagers who still have posters of footballers on their bedroom walls

I’m loving my life

Unfortunately for us clubs use actual data and video footage, rather than taking scouting advice from teenagers who still have posters of footballers on their bedroom walls
Are you sure about this? Given our most recent transfer window (and a lot of other recent ones)

OverratedOpinion

I wasn’t aware that Utd had so many world class players on their team! Are you sure you didn’t mean to say, “could be significantly better”? Because that array of passing brilliance wasn’t consistently obvious in the last years.

The reason I asked about Pogba etc was that passing is a 2 person event.
One does not need to be world class at passing to be better than Ronaldo at that specific aspect. We have plenty of players who are better at passing the ball.

To be fair you are focusing on one of the weaker points of Ronaldo's game even at his absolute peak.

I think you qouted the second half of my post and then maybe your response to it accidentally got deleted.

OverratedOpinion

Ronaldo’s passing is extremely underrated. His passing at his best is excellent. Not playmaker or GOAT levels but he was a very competent passer of the ball. His crossing with both feet in particular is superb. Sancho isn’t a better passer than Ronaldo at his best, if you’re listing him here.
Excellent?

I'm going to be respectful and just say we strongly disagree.

mshnsh

Yeah dude, he didn’t want to play defense like Jose wanted to him. Guess what? None of the truly great attacking players do. You don’t have a Messi/Ronaldo/Maradona/Ronaldinho and ask them to track back. Thats someone else’s job. Thats kind of the whole point.

For this weekend, he should not start. He left that game at HT without the manager’s approval, he shouldn’t even be in the squad. Rashford through the middle.
The whole point is that IF your manager wants you to track back you do just that. IF he wants you to press, you press. You don't undermine the boss.

And In general, in the modern game, wingers are expected to track back while forwards and no 10s are expected to press. Ronaldo hardly ever does either and when he rarely does it is usually half hearted.

The thing about Ronaldo us that he has ALWAYS played for himself regardless of the fact that football is a team sport.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Can we for once go into a season without some f*ck-off fart cloud hanging over the club, please.

mshnsh

Remind me who on Utd last season was an elite passer? My impression was that he simplified his passing last year for the team he was playing with.
Perhaps things will be different this year? Who are the elite passers on the team this year?
When was his passing ever elite level? The guy has always done fairly simple passing and during his last 3 seasons at Madrid, he was shit even at that.

steffyr2

One does not need to be world class at passing to be better than Ronaldo at that specific aspect. We have plenty of players who are better at passing the ball.

To be fair you are focusing on one of the weaker points of Ronaldo's game even at his absolute peak.

I think you qouted the second half of my post and then maybe your response to it accidentally got deleted.
You keep saying that but I'm not seeing it. Checking Cafe history --

This is from last year --
Our passing (The Athletic) and what it tells about this team. | RedCafe.net. Topic is passing pattern in last season -- I didn't read anything positive in the thread about any Utd player's passing. If the team was chock full of exceptional players, I'd think it would have at least been mentioned.

Here's another one! This thread starts in 2021, so there's no way to blame it on Ronaldo. Sloppy passing and touches | RedCafe.net A comment 4 posts in --
The players in our team who are supposed to do most of the ”general passing”, our midfielders, are not very good passers.
Even Bruno and Pogba is very sloppy in their short passing.
I guess the "even" in the sentence means the poster expects better...so there's that. The posts following are all about how sloppy and inconsistent the passing is. There aren't many (any?) examples of posts lauding a player as being exceptional.

Here's another. Maybe all this proves is that the Caf is relentlessly negative. Though this mirrors my opinion --
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pass-completion-for-cms.464969/ I didn't post in that thread, but that's been my pet peeve for a while, that our passing completion rate is terrible. There's plenty of time in that thread for posters to mention how exceptional the players are at passing, doesn't seem to be mentioned.

The last thread is why I emphatically don't agree with you. btw, when you say any Utd player is an "exceptional passer". Our passing sucks. And has sucked for a while -- even back in the halcyon days of yore before Ronaldo invaded the team and spoiled the perfect harmony.

MrEleson

Excellent?

I'm going to be respectful and just say we strongly disagree.
So it’s sup-bar? The underrating of his qualities as a player is really something. His passing in his prime was very good. Just not at an all-time great level.

Greck

When are we going to stop paying for churning out the most sentimental group of legends? No one should be desperate. He said he wants to leave, what statement does he need to give? This is like that desperate ex asking for closure after getting point blank dumped and discarded. It wouldn't even be so bad if they didn't frequently take a holier than thou attitude with players they didn't like for the exact same things.

steffyr2

When was his passing ever elite level? The guy has always done fairly simple passing and during his last 3 seasons at Madrid, he was shit even at that.
Oh good. Would you define your terms please?
Did his shit passing happen when RM won 3 CLs in a row and he won 2 Ballon d'Ors?

Status
Not open for further replies.