Cristiano Ronaldo | Real confirm deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJohn

Supports
Real Madrid
I know he is 33 years old. I know he left when he was entering his prime. I know he gave his best years to Real Madrid. I know he is... special. I know, believe me.

But, he is still one of the best goalscorers in the world. I really think with him United would have a shot for the next couple of UCL and EPL, It's not a long term solution, of course, but after 5 crappy years, the possibility of winning something big is too much to let it pass.

When you hear how much clubs are asking for anyone, I mean anyone, remember Bellotti (100m), to think you can buy for the same amount of money Ronaldo instead is unbelievable.

Cliche Guevara

:lol: :lol:

I love when people spoute shit they don't know anything about. His tax issues came because of the way Madrid drew up the contract. The way his agents interpreted the new laws in that contract as well.

It must really suck to hate him that much. I guess GOAT's get hated on a lot. Especially one that destroyed your team time and time again.

We would automatically be favourites for the league.

Funny you say waste of money. As if it wasn't a waste of money spending 90 million on that trash Pogba who has shown absolutely nothing for us yet. Or lukaku who has flopped in most of the big games. Or sanchez's wages when he has shown zero yet. That's a waste of money.
Calm down, mate. It’s one thing being a Ronaldo fan but ease off in the abuse of our players.

Eddy_JukeZ

It’s beyond ridiculous if Jose and Woodward aren’t doing everything possible to gazzump this deal.

One signing to elevate us to the level of City and we are sitting by watching Juve sign him?
He doesn't want to come back. No reason for him to come back.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Spending +100 million + wage for a 34 yr old, who already was here saying he was a slave, is not a good idea.
I really don’t get this part. The rest of your point me are valid which is why I also think this is too risky but really annoys me how people judge a transfer being good or bad based on emotions and personal statements.

Remember this is a job.

Cloud7

When people post about Ronaldo instantly making us favorites for the league etc, I can’t help but wonder if I’ve been watching a different Ronaldo these past couple years to the one that posters want us to sign.

The Ronaldo I see now relies on arguably the best CM pairing in the world to get balls out to him, a CF who is probably one of the best in the world at making space for him as well as playing as his foil and arguably the best LB ever who opposition always have to focus on almost as much as Ronaldo himself because they know the damage he can do. Sure he’s still able to produce a moment of magic like against Juventus, but people never advocated for us to sign Peter Crouch because he could score bicycle kicks (and NO I am NOT comparing Ronaldo to Crouch, just talking specifically about moments like that), and how often over the course of a season will you count on something like that?

This isn’t the Ronaldo who left United or the one from the first few years at Madrid who cut out the tricks and became a goal machine. That Ronaldo was still able to ghost past players at will. This Ronaldo can’t do that like he could. Take nothing away from him at all, his goal scoring has been phenomenal over the past few years, but I struggle to see any other team in the world where he can be as potent as he currently is in this Madrid team. No other team in world football has this exact set up that he needs to flourish properly.

At Juventus he’s still likely to put up decent numbers, probably playing as a CF, in a league played at a much slower pace where players are still able to function despite any physical decline, in an already settled and functional team who know how they’re trying to play, but he’s still not likely to hit the heights he has at Madrid, and at United I think it would be even more difficult, if at all even possible.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They have a better forum in italian I think its "Vecchia Signora", tbf I don't speak italian even understanding some of the things they say. :D
Meh, i don't speak portuguese and i understand about 50% of a portuguese text(might help that i do know some spanish for the most part. Can't speak a lick of it, but i do understand it :lol:). For everything else there's google translate :D

PeteManic

There is more chance of Prunier making a comeback and playing for us next season than CR7.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Mourinho was at the premiere of that Ronaldo film.

They are fine now.
It didn’t stop Jose having a dig at him during the Bobby Robson documentary when he referred to the Brazilian Ronaldo as the real Ronaldo.

They may be civil to each other now, but I can’t imagine either wound want to Work together again.

Cliche Guevara

When people post about Ronaldo instantly making us favorites for the league etc, I can’t help but wonder if I’ve been watching a different Ronaldo these past couple years to the one that posters want us to sign.

The Ronaldo I see now relies on arguably the best CM pairing in the world to get balls out to him, a CF who is probably one of the best in the world at making space for him as well as playing as his foil and arguably the best LB ever who opposition always have to focus on almost as much as Ronaldo himself because they know the damage he can do. Sure he’s still able to produce a moment of magic like against Juventus, but people never advocated for us to sign Peter Crouch because he could score bicycle kicks (and NO I am NOT comparing Ronaldo to Crouch, just talking specifically about moments like that), and how often over the course of a season will you count on something like that?

This isn’t the Ronaldo who left United or the one from the first few years at Madrid who cut out the tricks and became a goal machine. That Ronaldo was still able to ghost past players at will. This Ronaldo can’t do that like he could. Take nothing away from him at all, his goal scoring has been phenomenal over the past few years, but I struggle to see any other team in the world where he can be as potent as he currently is in this Madrid team. No other team in world football has this exact set up that he needs to flourish properly.

At Juventus he’s still likely to put up decent numbers, probably playing as a CF, in a league played at a much slower pace where players are still able to function despite any physical decline, in an already settled and functional team who know how they’re trying to play, but he’s still not likely to hit the heights he has at Madrid, and at United I think it would be even more difficult, if at all even possible.
What about Portugal?

Cloud7

What about Portugal?
What about them? He doesn’t score 50 goals a year for Portugal does he? He does what you would expect, plays up front and scores some goals, as he would do in almost every team because he is a quality forward. My point was his extraordinary output isn’t likely to continue anywhere else, unless you want to argue that his output for Portugal is extraordinary?

Cliche Guevara

What about them? He doesn’t score 50 goals a year for Portugal does he? He does what you would expect, plays up front and scores some goals, as he would do in almost every team because he is a quality forward. My point was his extraordinary output isn’t likely to continue anywhere else, unless you want to argue that his output for Portugal is extraordinary?
Hat-trick against Spain last week not good enough for you?

Cloud7

Hat-trick against Spain last week not good enough for you?
Are you deliberately trying to be obtuse and ignoring my point? I was talking about his output over the course of a season and it not being likely to be sufficient to make us favorites for the league or cl. A penalty and free kick against Spain is not in any way or form relevant to what I’m trying to discuss. If you want to go down this road, then what happened against Uruguay? Shock horror, we can’t take one game as a sample size when trying to make a point

red thru&thru

People believe we’d be instant league winners if we signed Ronaldo...how come he wasn’t a league winner with Real last year, especially with a superior team to us!

Cliche Guevara

Are you deliberately trying to be obtuse and ignoring my point? I was talking about his output over the course of a season and it not being likely to be sufficient to make us favorites for the league or cl. A penalty and free kick against Spain is not in any way or form relevant to what I’m trying to discuss. If you want to go down this road, then what happened against Uruguay? Shock horror, we can’t take one game as a sample size when trying to make a point
Your whole premise is he can’t score goals to the same extent anywhere other than Madrid, due to the way they are set-up.

If a hat-trick against Spain in the World Cup Finals isn’t good enough for you then there’s no point in having a discussion.

I am of the opinion that the goals he continues to score for Portugal might disprove your theory.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
It didn’t stop Jose having a dig at him during the Bobby Robson documentary when he referred to the Brazilian Ronaldo as the real Ronaldo.

They may be civil to each other now, but I can’t imagine either wound want to Work together again.
:lol:

Classic Jose.

I didn't know about that one.

Their Real Madrid relationship was toxic near the end so this might be for the best.

Cloud7

Your whole premise is he can’t score goals to the same extent anywhere other than Madrid, due to the way they are set-up.

If a hat-trick against Spain in the World Cup Finals isn’t good enough for you then there’s no point in having a discussion.

I am of the opinion that the goals he continues to score for Portugal might disprove your theory.
As we’ve seen with many players scoring goals at an international level does not translate to the same scoring rate at club level. You point to the hat trick again, is he going to be scoring penalties and free kicks every week?

Edit: A free kick that more people blame on De Gea rather than ronaldo’s Technique

K2K

People believe we’d be instant league winners if we signed Ronaldo...how come he wasn’t a league winner with Real last year, especially with a superior team to us!
Ronaldo has actually won less leagues with Real than he did with us.

He wouldn't make us instant league winners at all. Not with Pep in the same league that has won league titles in every season he has coached but 2

Cloud7

He wouldn't make us instant league winners at all. Not with Pep in the same league that has won league titles in every season he has coached but 2
Thank you. This is the simple point I’ve been trying to make, that he isn’t going to be a magic switch that automatically makes us win the league if he signs, like so many are claiming.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Err he is all time top scorer for Portugal and all across the European nations.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Thank you. This is the simple point I’ve been trying to make, that he isn’t going to be a magic switch that automatically makes us win the league if he signs, like so many are claiming.
We would be at a minimum neck and neck with City, who by the way may not reach the lofty heights of last year again in terms of points and goals. We would also be instant CL contenders.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It’s beyond ridiculous if Jose and Woodward aren’t doing everything possible to gazzump this deal.

One signing to elevate us to the level of City and we are sitting by watching Juve sign him?
I agree mate.
I would be doing everything in my power to hijack the deal.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As we’ve seen with many players scoring goals at an international level does not translate to the same scoring rate at club level. You point to the hat trick again, is he going to be scoring penalties and free kicks every week?

Edit: A free kick that more people blame on De Gea rather than ronaldo’s Technique
He has averaged 45 goals a year for the past decade at Madrid. He has already demonstrated he can put up similar numbers in England. Even if he only knocked in 30 here it would be a massive upgrade to our ridiculously low 68 goals from last year.

ROFLUTION

:lol: :lol:

I love when people spoute shit they don't know anything about. His tax issues came because of the way Madrid drew up the contract. The way his agents interpreted the new laws in that contract as well.

It must really suck to hate him that much. I guess GOAT's get hated on a lot. Especially one that destroyed your team time and time again.

We would automatically be favourites for the league.

Funny you say waste of money. As if it wasn't a waste of money spending 90 million on that trash Pogba who has shown absolutely nothing for us yet. Or lukaku who has flopped in most of the big games. Or sanchez's wages when he has shown zero yet. That's a waste of money.
Worst post Ive seen here in a while

K2K

We would be at a minimum neck and neck with City, who by the way may not reach the lofty heights of last year again in terms of points and goals. We would also be instant CL contenders.
I don't think so.

I think our squad has many shortcomings which we desperately need to fix. I'm not saying Ronaldo coming here will not strengthen us although I also think that some of concerns raised are valid.

I think it's a mute point anywhere.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Meh, i don't speak portuguese and i understand about 50% of a portuguese text(might help that i do know some spanish for the most part. Can't speak a lick of it, but i do understand it :lol:). For everything else there's google translate :D
Reading I can still get the meaning of the sentences, listening if they start talking fast is a mess and trying to speak even better to not try, just stick to Spanish and even that is debatable. :lol:

Anyway Vecchia Signora is made of real Juventus Fans the other forum in English looks some fake plastic Juve fans to me.

kps88

It's possible he's made up his mind to only join Juventus and there's nothing we can do about it. It makes sense from his point of view. Gets to experience a new league, join the strongest team in the league, less physically demanding compared to the PL and he'll probably be able to rest and target key CL matches like he did with Madrid last season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The nostalgia of bringing him back would be incredible, but there's just too much to lose for all parties.
In our system, you could quickly imagine him looking frustrated, and not hitting the heights, a bit like Sanchez to date. Those memories of him ripping it up are probably best left alone.

Then you look at the risk to him - going back to where you were the best in the league, arguably the best ever in our league, but almost a decade on, as a different type of player.
For a colossal fee, breaking our record, and knowing it's a very short term thing. It's like Ibrahimovic, but for a mental fee.

Real Madrid MUST have a massive deal for someone sealed already, as it's unthinkable they'd let the biggest star of their last decade leave without. I'd think Neymar/Mpabbe as a top end, Hazard as a backup if those aren't doable.

JohnJohn

Supports
Real Madrid
It's possible he's made up his mind to only join Juventus and there's nothing we can do about it. It makes sense from his point of view. Gets to experience a new league, join the strongest team in the league, less physically demanding compared to the PL and he'll probably be able to rest and target key CL matches like he did with Madrid last season.
Apparently Mendes offered Ronaldo first to PSG and United and they said they weren't interested, only then he was offered to Juventus.

The news come from a reputable radio journalist (Paco Gonzalez) and his source, he said was someone inside Madrid that told him that PSG and United call them with the news.

I don't know if it's true, but makes a lot of sense. Him wanting to go to Juventus as first option doesn't.

acnumber9

He’s scored 48 goals in his last 54 games for Portugal. How could you argue that isn’t extraordinary?

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
He’s scored 48 goals in his last 54 games for Portugal. How could you argue that isn’t extraordinary?
Because just to start, 20 of those 48 goals have been against godawful teams?.

I mean, his record is still great, but unless United are going to win the PL against Tamworth or Chorley your argument doesn't dispute a logical fact, when you don't have top talent feeding strikers, they can't score at the same level they do when they have it.

Morpheus 7

I understand the argument for CR7 not coming here. 1) He's not the player that left United, he's developed more from a winger to forward now. 2) Age, no resale and wages. 3) He's past his peak, maybe stop others from developing up top. 4) Money night be best invested in other areas.

Then I look at the positives. If he's actually available for £88m then that's not bad in this market. We would make loads back on his marketability, he brings in a so much alone. The Glazers have milked this club since they sold him anyway, let them splash out for years of neglect when he left. 1) He's a leader, something this team is really lacking 2) Guaranteed goals, his record is incredible and he could wipe away the dirt teams we have been struggling against 3) Lift the entire club, the fans are not exactly united at the moment under Jose. Can't underestimate the lift he would give us. 4) It would not guarantee a league but it would give us that fear factor. Nobody would enjoy coming to Old Trafford with a forward line of Lukaku, Sanchez and CR7. United have lost there fear factor, could help bring it back. We would be upgraded on free kicks, penalties and headed goals instantly.

It's easy to dismiss this deal because it's the definition of short term. United need quality all over the pitch, I still feel we are reliant a bit too much on Lukaku. It be nice to change it up against sides and intimidation against the smaller ones. It's an unreal deal for Juve and Ronaldo that makes so much sense. Just think he could still contribute so much to us getting back to the top. If Real don't want to deal with us then fine but we should've tried to bring him back. He's not going to come with a magic wand and fix everything. We still have huge issues from wide positions and midfield. Fans are flat as feck going in to this season. Nobody genuinely feels we can win this league. I never wanted a marquee signing, rather have 5 solid ones but doubt we are getting real change. Starting to think we might need one, Jose has sucked the life out of the team since CL exit.

acnumber9

I mean, his record is still great, but unless United are going to win the PL against Tamworth or Chorley your argument doesn't dispute a logical fact, when you don't have top talent feeding strikers, they can't score at the same level they do when they have it.
Playing against the same nations that all European players play against. How many have records that good?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

He scores more against the better teams than he does against the worse ones though...

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Playing against the same nations that all European players play against. How many have records that good?
That's not how it works and you already know it, only Switzerland and Hungary played against "those same nations" in the WC qualifiers, it strikes you as weird that Seferovic or Szalai can't outscore Ronaldo?.

Why did Lewandowski beat Ronaldo? Well he put 9 on Romania and Armenia in 3 games for example. In the 14' QF Bosnia got Slovakia, Lithuania, Latvia and Liechtenstein and surprisingly Dzeko and Ibisevic combined for 18 goals, 10 more than Ronaldo in that qualifier... are you shocked by that fact?.

Oh, Lukaku scored 8 of his 11 QF goals against Cyprus, Estonia and Gibraltar, and just 3 against Bosnia and Greece... who would've thought that!.

He scores more against the better teams than he does against the worse ones though...
No?

10 teams account for 40% of his international goals, those teams are Armenia, Latvia, Andorra, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, N Ireland, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Cyprus.

And that's okay, and it's only logical when you haven't played for Brazil, Spain, Germany, France or Italy in the last 15 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.