Cristiano Ronaldo: Set to leave by mutual agreement

Is Ronaldo justified to say that he “feels betrayed” by Manchester United?

• Ronaldo should be not be allowed to play for United again

Votes: 1,536 81.7%
  • He's always been a massive bellend

Votes: 884 47.0%
  • Messi has always been the better player

Votes: 574 30.5%
  • He should be begged to come back with double the salary and ten Haag should bow to his greatness

Votes: 126 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He’s going regardless
I wonder if he'll get a mega offer from Qatar/Saudi area. wouldn't surprise me. Nor would I be surprised if David Beckham had a word at the tournament. Ronaldo must see that very few European clubs will be willing to take a risk... other than perhaps Roma. Seeing he and Jose tearing strips out of each other would be funny, even if I still have a sneaking regard for Mourinho

Gazza

I have virtually never been on the same side of Morgan (and by the way, I dreamed up "Piers Moron" in the 1990s) in my life and pay very little attention to Souness who spends 99% of the time being a horse's arse. Further more, never said Ronaldo should stay. but once again, you decide to make up crap
I never said you said Ronaldo should stay, so you are the one making things up, and you have aligned yourself inadvertently it seems on the same side as Piers and Souness based on your posts in this thread.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I never said you said Ronaldo should stay, so you are the one making things up, and you have aligned yourself inadvertently it seems on the same side as Piers and Souness based on your posts in this thread.
I've been in a room with Morgan, so believe me he is a far bigger cnut than Ronaldo can ever be. Far bigger... at least Ronaldo once had world-class talent

Souness is prime dipper to me, which says it all. All I've ever said was I don't understand the hatred some show here

Glorio

No, I can not like Ronaldo but also think Neville doesn't like him.
Never knew Neville had so many stans.
Don't remember Neville having a bad word before this season tbh. Please enlighten - may have missed a few things as it wasn't on my radar.

The first thing I do remember Gary saying which could be deemed negative was that he's disappointed that Ronaldo as a senior player hadn't fronted up and done an interview to shut down the press rumours about him wanting to leave, especially as Ten Hag seemed to be building a positive vibe around the place even then.

It's weird as it just seems whenever we start building some good momentum in terms of the feeling around the place, Ronaldo very swiftly scuppers it (not intentionally mind) by exit rumours, or walking off the pitch, or a chat with Piers. Like clockwork!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
“Because he's the hero Manchester deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero.

- Mark Goldbridge on Ronaldo

Last edited:

Daengophile

As long as he’s got a standard PL contract, I’m pretty sure it will be.

If we can cancel his contract and sack him without having to pay him off, which I very much hope is the case, I don’t see the point of suing him. I’m not sure the courts would like it either; they’d take the view that we’d received just recompense by being released from paying him and anything more would be vindictive. Unless we could somehow prove financial loss, such as sponsors’ deals being dependent on his continued employment.
If, say, Ronaldo sues Utd for the remainder of his salary they could counter-sue for the cost (or partial cost) of a replacement

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Can’t he be punished by placing him in the reserves? Otherwise he needs to go.

Ronaldo thinks he is bigger than the club, Ten Hag disagrees and this is the result.

Spoony

The People's President
“Because he's the hero Manchester deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.”

What a gimp

GreatDane

“Because he's the hero Manchester deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.”

That's a real quote? :houllier:

Chief123

I hope we sack him on the day that Portugal start their first game in world cup
I hope we don’t. I hope we announce he will be staying till the end of the season but has been fined 4 weeks wages on the day Portugal play their first game. Then when Portugal are knocked out, we announce he’s been sacked.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well the youtube comments are mostly on Ronaldo side, not to mention Man Utd instagram page is also filled with #respect Ronaldo comment everywhere. There's no way we are going to win this thing on the internet, as we are up against biggest name in social media, with the biggest ever support too. Best we could hope for is to reach mutual agreement on termination of contract with Ronaldo, without any compensation. I am not sure if we can sue him for breach of contract, but if some clubs willing to take him in January, it might help us out too.
Why should it matter if we win this on the internet? Ronaldo joined us at 36, he was only gonna be here for 2 years and now he leaves 6 months early and takes his fans with him. Hardly the end of the world. Good for them. I don't see Real Madrid or even ourselves in 09 really being adversely affected from a commercial point of view when Ronaldo left.

Manchester United was amongst the most followed clubs in the world before Ronaldo and will stay that after Ronaldo. The sooner his circus of fans stop being associated with us, the better.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I hope we don’t. I hope we announce he will be staying till the end of the season but has been fined 4 weeks wages on the day Portugal play their first game. Then when Portugal are knocked out, we announce he’s been sacked.
That's typically something that you can't do and will see you lose in court. You are essentially sanctioning him twice for a single offence.

Chief123

every time I choose to read some comments under a tweet or YT video about this whole thing, I can feel some of my brain cells die. To see the amount of people who will blindly back the narcissist and blame United for everything is baffling and, frankly, pretty disturbing. The cult of personality knows no limits ... can't wait to see the back of him and his cult.
Tbh I’ve noticed the comments you get under Twitter, YouTube and tiktok videos all tend to have a similar theme. You can see from the usernames the overwhelming majority of them are users from abroad in particular with Middle Eastern names. This is not surprising as it is quite popular in those countries to have a Player FC you support rather than a Team FC. As you can see on redcafe which I would say is more reflective of the average fan, it is the complete opposite with the overwhelming majority seemingly against Ronaldo and with full backing of ETH.

It does feel at times a different world of fans on those video comments and Twitter. Especially the irrationality of the argument they put across. It does make you wonder if it is bots assisted due to how relentless it is.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
It's his mate Piers who has set him up.
He set himself up. He's been long enough in the game.

He might be a great footballer but Ronaldo struck me as unsecure, dim, petty, vapid and vain, with as much character depth as a puddle. English not being his native tongue isn't an excuse. How people worship this guy is beyond me.

Chief123

That's typically something that you can't do and will see you lose in court. You are essentially sanctioning him twice for a single offence.
To be fair he’s commited more than one offence so we’ve got plenty to work with. P.S. it was a joke anyway.

AdNani

Is being a fan of a player rather than a club a new thing or has it always been about?

i'm almost excited for his fans to feck off as i am about him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is being a fan of a player rather than a club a new thing or has it always been about?

i'm almost excited for his fans to feck off as i am about him.
I don't think that it's new, the main difference is that we have indirect access to a far greater amount of strangers willing to share their views.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Why should it matter if we win this on the internet? Ronaldo joined us at 36, he was only gonna be here for 2 years and now he leaves 6 months early and takes his fans with him. Hardly the end of the world. Good for them. I don't see Real Madrid or even ourselves in 09 really being adversely affected from a commercial point of view when Ronaldo left.

Manchester United was amongst the most followed clubs in the world before Ronaldo and will stay that after Ronaldo. The sooner his circus of fans stop being associated with us, the better.
Why do you bother?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
What will Ronnie become after he retires?
  1. The most respected pundit
  2. The most respected manager
  3. The most respected movie star
  4. The most respected face of World Cup 2026
  5. The most respected brand mogul
It can only end one way. He'll be found face down in a gutter after OD'ing on chicken, boiled rice and mineral water.

Shiva87

Maybe he does but that’s a by product of us getting what we want… save a ton of wages, lose his impact on dressing room (and maybe nudge the Glazers closer to us getting a replacement?)

When it’d be pointless was if we didn’t do anything purely because he might benefit… that would be cutting off our nose to spite our face.
Anyway, I hope he has a good World Cup and some teams come in for him in Jan. that’s the best outcome.

Chumpsbechumps

Listening to the athletic talk about the reaction to Ronaldos antics and they say that people online support his childish , self serving , ego rant. I’m not on twitter or instagram, are a lot of the people on these things kind of thick?

I think ETH has managed it brilliantly and the team will be better for Ronaldo being moved on. It’s gas when you see egos blow up on people, probably Trump losing the election and being unable to accept it was the last time we saw a person who only heard “yes” their entire life throw toys out of the pram and think rational people would buy their bullsh*t.

Shiva87

Even if Ronaldo gets what he wants he'll hardly come out as the winner of this conflict. His reputation has taken a huge blow and things might not be so much better out on the free market. He keeps yapping about how he's not a player you put on the bench, but what genuinely good team would start Ronaldo now?

I don't see how ruining your legacy and getting sacked mid season only to play for a worse team or sit on the bench for another top team is much better. If he had shut up, accepted his age and remained(?) a good influence in the dressing room then he could have left next summer with his dignity and status intact. But this is the problem with narcissists. They are deluded. Ronaldo legitimately believes that he's still a great player and should start for a team challenging for the biggest trophies. Reality is going to hit him like a truck if Chelsea don't take the bait in January.

Meanwhile, we'll be rid of a toxic influence, save some money and look more competent to the outside world.
All of that is true- but the problem with Ronaldo is that he has managed to continue to score a pot load of goals even into his late 30s. He will actually do well in a team that creates chances for him, and doesn’t need him to press in a proactive way.

Much like Portugal will play in the WC. So ETH will come under immense pressure at United if Ronaldo does perform!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's not a new thing.

Something has definitely changed, however. When I grew up we all had favourite players who didn't play for the team we supported. Some were definitely borderline obsessed with such players too. The difference, compared to the current generation of kids, is that you'd hardly ever see anyone that were more attached to an individual player than to a team. The adoration of individual players always came - very clearly - second to being a fan of a team. In fact, I can't remember a single kid who mainly followed an individual player. These days, that's actually pretty common.

That said, back in the day you couldn't possibly follow individual players in the way you can now - unless you were a genuine stalker, that is.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm willing to give Goldbridge the benefit of the doubt in the sense that he may not actually be that stupid (but rather cynically pandering to his audience).

It still paints a very depressing picture of that audience, of course.

DavelinaJolie

Listening to the athletic talk about the reaction to Ronaldos antics and they say that people online support his childish , self serving , ego rant. I’m not on twitter or instagram, are a lot of the people on these things kind of thick?
It's the same cult of personality that got Trump elected, for some reason people are drawn to follow self-promoting narcissists, and believe their every word.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well the youtube comments are mostly on Ronaldo side, not to mention Man Utd instagram page is also filled with #respect Ronaldo comment everywhere. There's no way we are going to win this thing on the internet, as we are up against biggest name in social media, with the biggest ever support too. Best we could hope for is to reach mutual agreement on termination of contract with Ronaldo, without any compensation. I am not sure if we can sue him for breach of contract, but if some clubs willing to take him in January, it might help us out too.
A drop in the ocean for an institution like Manchester United. His teenage rabid hyenas would have moved on to another crush in 2 years time. The club will sustain and grow regardless as it has for ages.

Also I don't think the media bot war has anything to do with the litigation aspect. Frankly people on this forum are in no place to state that we can or cannot terminate the contract given we have no basis whatsoever. If the club is looking at that option there must be a possibility at least. Beyond that the experts will know. Given we buy players for 50 to 100 pounds frequently it's suffice to say we should be well equipped either way.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Indeed, though to sue United I think he’d first have to prove that the grounds for his dismissal were unfair.
Yes, and if United don't have an iron clad case against him, they won't unilaterally terminate the contract. Risking anything with regard to this just isn't worth it either football wise (the distraction) or publicity wise. If they don't have a water tight case, they'll surely attempt to reach some kind of agreement with the fecker (as annoying as this may be).

DavelinaJolie

People forget there was reports from the Athletic and ESPN last season about Ronaldo arranging meetings with a few senior players to confront ralf about tactics and that he threatened to leave in January if Execs where to hire Ralf on a permanent basis

''Insider Mark Ogden claims that the 37-year-old had 'made it clear by January' that he would quit if Rangnick was to stay as permanent manager.''

''Ronaldo sought talks with Rangnick over how playing two up front would benefit Manchester United''

The Athletic understands there have been talks on the subject behind the scenes, with Ronaldo expressing a view that a return to playing two up top would benefit him and the team overall.

Ronaldo attended a meeting with Rangnick after the home draw with Southampton on February 12 — when the mood around the club was tense following three successive 1-1s, including the FA Cup exit at home to Middlesbrough, of the Championship, on penalties.

Other senior players were there too, but Ronaldo spoke the most, especially on the idea of him having a strike partner.

Then there were murmerings this season of him not being impressing with ETH's pressing tactics

'' Cristiano Ronaldo is dismayed at stubborn Erik ten Hag's training and tactics with the Portuguese forward believing United would be better off playing a different way. ''

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-erik-ten-hags-training-and-tactics-mv8v26clp

Seriously anyone who supports this cnut who think's he's bigger than the manager and club needs to GTFH with him
Yep, I remember this and thought at the time it was probably true and wasn't surprised at all.

Revaulx

“Because he's the hero Manchester deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero.

What does that mean?

“Not our hero” could be a reference to Madrid I suppose.

Or is it all just pretentious bollocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.