Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He will score against us and do his calm down celebration :lol:

Arth_

Loyalties (or lack of thereof) aside, I find it a bit weird that being an obvious 2nd choice target and City not willing to pay the fee of a fifth of their bid for Kane is not a deal breaker for someone as proud as Cristiano.

choccy77

Just came back from Costa and everyone in there was talking about Ronaldo moving to Man City.

It would be terrible if it happened.

United would have to pull out a last minute epic transfer now.

Rolaholic

Mendes is the exact sort of mercenary agent bastard most believe Raiola to be, he's Raiola on steroids

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Brian Kidd, Andy Cole, Peter Schmeichel, Carlos Tevez, Owen Hargreaves and Denis Law all played for City.

How many of them to we now really judge as "traitors" or whatever? Tevez certainly but the others?

My point being it's not just about a former United player joining City. The context matters, as does the personality of the player. For various reasons, Ronaldo joining City would provoke a harsh reaction I suspect.

Idxomer

He needs to receive the loudest boos and abuse ever heard at Old Trafford if he goes to City, the despicable cnut.

hungrywing

Yup, the next generation of fans would grow up watching them dominate football. Give them another 10 years and they would be a massive club, sadly. Everyone treats Chelsea as a legit club now. The only real threat to their dominance would be another state funded club.

What's worse is that we have spent on par with them for more than half a decade, and have a massive head start with our history. But terrible management has made us end up where we are.
To be fair, the man did do what he promised and derailed MUFC, something all the other clubs could only have dreamt of.

Acquire Me

Ronaldo is bigger than Man Utd in world sports. I dont wanna admit it, but its true.

I've never liked him much and always preferred Messi. If he goes to City, feck him.

At the end of the day, nobody can grudge him for this, because he is doing what's best for his career. I think he hardly cares what some Utd fans think, his legacy in football will not change one bit. Infact it will better if he wins stuff here, while Messi went to farmer's league.
:lol:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Where are you all getting your Ronaldo City shirts and does anyone know what number he will be? Figure they'll sell out fast so I want to order quickly.

Highfather_24

He's bigger than man United? Holy shite :lol:
Just cause he has more social media followers than us on Instagram doesn’t mean a player is bigger than the club. Get a grip!
I dont like it either, but its true. He is the arguably the greatest of all time footballer alongside the likes of Messi, Maradona and Pele. Everybody knows who they are, they transcend football, they transcend sports. Messi and Ronaldo are both bigger entities than any football club in the world. There's no shame in that. And I'm not saying this in context of the last few years, where its not even a debate really considering United's "downfall".

I never liked him much, think Messi is a better player, but I have zero problems with acknowledging this. It will not be true for a United fan ofcourse, and shouldnt be. Its probably a hot take on redcafe but I dont think general football fans will disagree with this.

RedCurry

That's not relevant for most people who don't consider Ronaldo a "United legend".

It's all about how you define a "United legend" in the first place. It goes well beyond how good he was.

ETA Cantona, for one thing, is a United fan. And to make an obvious point: there's no way in hell that he would've ever considered moving to City for whatever reason.
There are actual United fans who think Ronaldo is a bigger club legend than Cantona? That is mad.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Quite honestly, is the rivalry even that much of a thing between the players these days? Greenwood and Foden are roommates with England and by all accounts they tag team the groupies. The Latin players spend their holidays together in the city. Aguero is visiting de Gea's home and being kind of a Godfather to his child. The rivalry is only good for Sky to sell their product.
Nah the players treat it much differently to the fans.

Honestly, on the pitch, there's never been much of anything since City struck oil. They mostly bought a bunch of choirboys. Minus the odd mouthy one e.g., Hart they've never made much of it. The fiercest it ever got was Rafael getting up in Tevez's face.

However, it's wrong to say that the rivalry is only something for sky TV. If you walk around Manchester the day of and the day after a derby you will know it's not a TV thing. I wouldn't take Foden and Mason as indicative of the general feeling.

NotThatSoph

Brian Kidd, Andy Cole, Peter Schmeichel, Carlos Tevez, Owen Hargreaves and Denis Law all played for City.

How many of them to we now really judge as "traitors" or whatever? Tevez certainly but the others?

My point being it's not just about a former United player joining City. The context matters, as does the personality of the player. For various reasons, Ronaldo joining City would provoke a harsh reaction I suspect.
Personally I really don't like him going to City, but I don't really blame him for it. Heinze and Tevez specificly wanted to join Liverpool and City, I don't think that's the case here. Juve is obviously not working for him, so he wants to leave, but where could he go? City is the only option. Players put their career first, that's understandable and expected, so even if there is loyalty at play it can't trump all.

I would see it very differently if Real or PSG or even United were options, but they're not. It's Juve or City or maybe the MLS, and you can't expect anyone to go to America before they have to.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Charlton was a better player and more important figure.
Longterm yes, peak no. In terms of being better. Agree to disagree here. In terms of importance Charlton is possibly the greatest man utd legend ever.

Reynoldo

Yes exactly, the others went when City weren't even real competitors. Rival yes but not a threat so it is very different to when they are the main guys as he's helping them win to try win the CL seeing as he knows first hand what that trophy means to us. That coupled with the age of social media now means this will turn very very nasty online.

Flexdegea

I dont like it either, but its true. He is the arguably the greatest of all time footballer alongside the likes of Messi, Maradona and Pele. Everybody knows who they are, they transcend football, they transcend sports. Messi and Ronaldo are both bigger entities than any football club in the world. There's no shame in that. And I'm not saying this in context of the last few years, where its not even a debate really considering United's "downfall".

I never liked him much, think Messi is a better player, but I have zero problems with acknowledging this. It will not be true for a United fan ofcourse, and shouldnt be. Its probably a hot take on redcafe but I dont think general football fans will disagree with this.

Absolutely weak trolling :lol:

UnitedFan93

When he comes to Old Trafford, don't boo him, just ignore him.

Treat him like he's some random, unimportant player. That'll hurt his ego more than anything. He's on his way out and he knows it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
His people are his family and his entourage of yes men.
I’m pretty sure that he has professionals working with him on his marketing, image rights etc. He has done extremely well to comfortably beat Messi on the PR front despite being arguably* not as good as Messi on the pitch, I’m sure that it didn’t happen because of his sister’s strategic mind.

* I don’t want to start that discussion.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi

Many years ago, a late goal of one of our Holy Trinity condemned us to relegation. I never thought he was a traitor

Rolaholic

Is anyone reliable actually reporting this?
No one reliable has said its a done deal, they're mainly piggybacking off the reports out of Italy of Mendes asking for a move and Juve saying they will only agree on their own terms instead of being bullied into giving up their most valuable asset for free just because.

Been reports that Citeh aren't willing to pay a fee and would prefer sending a player in return but Juve need cash given the state of their finances

onemanarmy

What's worse is that we have spent on par with them for more than half a decade, and have a massive head start with our history. But terrible management has made us end up where we are.
On transfers, maybe. And I doubt it. But on wages? No way. There is no way they have this squad on the wages they report. Impossible.

Tarrou

We're fecking morons if we don't try to match City's offer and offload Martial so we can afford it.

He never was a club legend. He's a football legend that played for our club.
whether he's a legend or not, it's not like fecking Tom Cleverley is signing for City is it?

he was a massive part of one of if not the most successful periods in the clubs history

obviously fans are gonna be gutted, myself included

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Longterm yes, peak no. In terms of being better. Agree to disagree here. In terms of importance Charlton is possibly the greatest man utd legend ever.
What peak? Ronaldo didn't play his peak years at United and Charlton was at a point the best European player and he actually played his peak years for United.

Status
Not open for further replies.