Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorisManUtd

I sometimes wonder if a part of Fergie doesn’t mind seeing United’s slump as it further cements his legacy. If Moyes had took over & continued winning titles you would’ve heard “was Fergie that great or did he just have great players?” But given that we’ve seen managers like LVG & Mourinho fail, it must give Fergie a slight ego boost.

Or maybe he loves the club unconditionally & wants us to win leagues without him.

only he knows I guess.
Tbf his first choice for our manager back in 2016 was Pochettino, if I remember correctly, but the board decided to go for Mourinho. What I blame him for (partly at least) was our transfer policy in 2019-2012 period, losing Ronaldo and not getting all those player like Sneijder, Benzema, but ending up with Valencia, Hernandez etc was not good enough in a long run for us.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Yes of course that will have an impact. If city and Utd are operating at a similar level then Ronaldo going to city could be the difference maker that makes the gulf even wider and ensures city continue to win titles that Utd could be winning. That’s a double negative. If Ronaldo went to Leeds, he’s not really a threat to Utd, and while it would be disappointing for him to join a rival club, at least that isn’t haven’t a directly negative impact on the playing field.
Entitled to your opinion of course and thanks for explaining.

To me though, disregarding a player like Ronaldo, who is one of our greatest ever players and one of the greatest ever to play the sport, as not a legend simply because he has the ambition to win as much as he possibly can in his last few years as a professional footballer, is simply absurd.

It would be painful to see him play for City, of course it would, but you can not take away what he has done for this club.

He doesn’t owe us anything more than what he has already delivered for us on the pitch during his time here.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
“may” is different. He is guaranteed to win the league with city or rather a much bigger chance to win the league. It adds to his legacy which is obviously what he cares about. More so than his standing with the United fans.
Going to City damages his United legacy completly.

Let me remind everyone that Ronaldo went to Juve thinking (and they did too) that he/they would win the CL finally since they couldn't care less any more about winning one more Italian League but we all know what happened.

Going to City, who have never won the CL, and have tried in any way possible these last few years is no guarantee of winning it and Pep seems to be trying his last swansong and then go away.

Ronaldo will surely be ' hated ' for ever by United fans if he joins City.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Going to City damages his United legacy completly.

Let me remind everyone that Ronaldo went to Juve thinking (and they did too) that he/they would win the CL finally since they couldn't care less any more about winning one more Italian League but we all know what happened.

Going to City, who have never won the CL, and have tried in any way possible these last few years is no guarantee of winning it and Pep seems to be trying his last swansong and then go away.

Ronaldo will surely be ' hated ' for ever by United fans if he joins City.
Let me remind you again he doesn’t care about his standing with United fans. City and PSG have a much better squad than Juventus did. They are the two top teams in Europe and if he helps either one of the then to win Europe then that only adds to his legacy and his individualistic goals. He wouldn’t care if he hated by all United fans.

Cee90

I’m saying if he wants to win a CL then going to 2 teams who have never won it and have fecked it up every single season isn’t an argument to make.
It’s not as if they are unlucky here or there. They completely bottle it and it’s a yearly occurrence.
How is that the best chance of winning anything? Where has Ronaldo even said this?
What does the fact that neither PSG or City have not won the CL before have to do with anything right now?

Not sure if you’ve heard of him, but a lad called Messi has just joined PSG, and another called Ronaldo looks like he is joining City.

They have both improved their squads and are obviously the favourites to lift the trophy in the next few seasons.

You know that too.

Whether or not they actually win it is a different matter, but obviously he wants to give himself the best possible chance of winning trophies by joining a team who is the best around.

Last edited:

cyberman

I don’t think you need to be a rocket science to understand those are the teams who currently give him the best chance of winning at least one more UCL title in the next couple of years. I never said he was moving to a club with history.
I’m sure he thought the same about moving to Juve. Sometimes a club generation of players are bottlers and don’t have it in them.
These two soulless clubs have never shown the heart, or mindset, to win the CL and they won’t until they prove otherwise

CornyCow

If Ronaldo really goes City, do me a favor guys boo as loud as u can for me at OT. Ffs hope that never happens

RDCR07

I’m sure he thought the same about moving to Juve. Sometimes a club generation of players are bottlers and don’t have it in them.
These two soulless clubs have never shown the heart, or mindset, to win the CL and they won’t until they prove otherwise
That’s my point. City never won the league and they still attracted top players and that helped them to win. That is the legacy of those players who joined when others didn’t to help a team win the league when they hadn’t done so before. That’s Ronaldo’s aim with City and Europe.

cyberman

What does the fact that neither PSG or City have won the CL before have to do with anything right now?

Not sure if you’ve heard of him, but a lad called Messi has just joined PSG, and another called Ronaldo looks like he is joining City.

They have both improved their squads and are obviously the favourites to lift the trophy in the next few seasons.

You know that too.
Messi went for the wages. Nobody else seems to want Ronnie since he’s now offered to us.
Win the damn thing first and then we’ll talk. All I see is years now of Pep completely bottling it in Europe and to make out that’s his best shot at CL glory is absolutely ridiculous quite frankly.
Ole keeps fecking up semi finals and he hasn’t got it in him, Pep has fecked up every round in Europe now and he’s the man to lead Ronaldo to CL glory

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I know that for some people he is synonym to the greatest United moments they witnessed and has been our best player at that time. However, as I see it a lot from time to time, can you stop compare this situation and bring Denis Law into it because it is quite frankly embarrassing. Denis practically gave his whole footballing career to United playing for the club 11 years and making more than 400 appearances. The circumstances around the two clubs were quite different at the time, both in terms of club relations and in terms of transfer itself. As been said, the man gave his all in footballing terms to this club and carried himself as a United man with dignity and affection throughout and after his playing years.

Even that time he scored against us (which didn't fecking relegate us!) goes down in memory mostly with how hard he obviously took that goal on himself. Don't remember a worse body reaction from any player once the ball went in.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Let me remind you again he doesn’t care about his standing with United fans. City and PSG have a much better squad than Juventus did. They are the two top teams in Europe and if he helps either one of the then to win Europe then that only adds to his legacy and his individualistic goals. He wouldn’t care if he hated by all United fans.
Yes, but that does give us the right to 'hate' him if he goes to City and no one can stop any of us doing that.

cyberman

That’s my point. City never won the league and they still attracted top players and that helped them to win. That is the legacy of those players who joined when others didn’t to help a team win the league when they hadn’t done so before. That’s Ronaldo’s aim with City and Europe.
Winning the league and winning the CL are two completely different challenges.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes, but that does give us the right to 'hate' him if he goes to City and no one can stop any of us doing that.
You had the right the moment he forced a move to an inferior club in 2009.

Cee90

Messi went for the wages. Nobody else seems to want Ronnie since he’s now offered to us.
Win the damn thing first and then we’ll talk. All I see is years now of Pep completely bottling it in Europe and to make out that’s his best shot at CL glory is absolutely ridiculous quite frankly.
Ole keeps fecking up semi finals and he hasn’t got it in him, Pep has fecked up every round in Europe now and he’s the man to lead Ronaldo to CL glory
Listen, I want these two clubs to fail more than anything, I’m just being realistic by saying they obviously have to be considered favourites at this moment in time.

I hope to be proven wrong, let’s see.

RDCR07

Winning the league and winning the CL are two completely different challenges.
No shit Sherlock. That’s why I said he is trying to do that with City. And if he does it only adds to his legacy of taking a team to win Europe when they haven’t done so before.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
My point isn’t really that deep. I think on ability Ronaldo is the best to play for Man Utd and the best in the Premier League. The fact that he’s one of the best of all time helps his claim. Just don’t think many players come close to that level of ability, including Henry. If you could choose peak Arsenal Henry or peak Man Utd Ronaldo for one season only who would you choose?
Peak Henry. That man was something else at his peak. Better than Ronaldo 07/08. 25 goals and 20 assists in the league is outrageous. Also the eye test is telling me Henry was better. Just a better all around player.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
No shit Sherlock. That’s why I said he is trying to do that with City. And if he does it only adds to his legacy of taking a team to win Europe when they haven’t done so before.
Remains to be seen if he signs with them and IF they manage to win the CL.
Juve didn't manage and they built a team around him - nothing is written in stone!

MrEleson

This guy is saying that the United link was a major stumbling block for Ronaldo but Mendes managed to convince him.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I wonder if he knows that his nickname over there is '******'.

JoaquinJoaquin

But the thing for me is, when it's all said and done and once he has retired, he will only have Real Madrid as a club that he will be regarded as a 'legend' in, regardless of all the trophies he will of won in his career. He won't even be able to return to Old Trafford. Basically similar to Carlos Tevez, who cannot really look back at his time with United with any sort of grace when the teams fans hate him.

That's a bit sad to me.

RDCR07

But the thing for me is, when it's all said and done and once he has retired, he will only have Real Madrid as a club that he will be regarded as a 'legend' in, regardless of all the trophies he will of won in his career. He won't even be able to return to Old Trafford. Basically similar to Carlos Tevez, who cannot really look back at his time with United with any sort of grace when the teams fans hate him.

That's a bit sad to me.
I agree. But it doesn’t bother him. If he did he wouldn’t even be entertaining the idea of City. Clearly his legacy and trophies matter much more and that’s his choice and he is entitled to that.

cyberman

You’re just making this up though. You said these two clubs provided the best chance to win CL when all they do is bottle it year in, year out. It’s based on nothing, goes against all evidence.They’re the last squads to join if you want CL glory.
The one link between City and PSG is the obvious link which you choose to ignore for whatever reason. It’s money, plain and simple. The two oil clubs will pay for legitimacy and that’s why they’re the only 2 clubs in to provide Messi and Ronaldo with the final big payday before they head to MLS.
That’s it. If he wanted CL glory then why leave Madrid in the first place?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I have always supported him, and I am for sure done with him if this happens. Really makes me sick that he would even consider this. Rightly or wrongly this is how I feel. My son will be gutted....
Well at least you didn’t call him your son…

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Who is he going to choose now seeing that City and PSG are in the same group? :D

forevrared

He's literally won everything there is to win in England on both a personal and club level. There's nothing left to accomplish here that he hasn't already. That's what makes this so shitty.

He's past his prime and could easily find the money elsewhere, as he has said himself. He's just decided to feck off the club who made him for their direct rivals simply for a payday. I will hate him forever and I hope his life is miserable for the next two years if he signs with City.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I have always supported him, and I am for sure done with him if this happens. Really makes me sick that he would even consider this. Rightly or wrongly this is how I feel. My son will be gutted....
It is what it is. If it goes through, he'll experience the consequences of hubris. It's a difficult situation frankly, on all sides.

On one hand, United don't want him. Despite the sentimentalism, I can understand how it's the most logical solution.

It's a matter of instant gratification versus delayed gratification. He does not fill a need at United but he does at City.

Whilst still a top player, he is the past and the past can get in the way of the future. That future being Haaland or Mbappe.

United are betting on the future, and while it may not please every supporter, sometimes you gotta make that choice.

Ronaldo, a fantastic sportsman who pushes himself, but still a bit of a weird dude who doesn't entirely understand how fandoms work. In his world, he thinks all his fans follow him.

Status
Not open for further replies.