Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
it's a fun signing for United fans, probably would have been a fun signing for us just for the banter, but 2 year deal at £300k per week is still a bloody lot of money for a 36 year old. Anyone any idea what his transfer cost is, we were apparently fudging over £25m, what are United paying?

newsdevil

Manchester United are in pole position to sign Cristiano Ronaldo following the intervention of the Juventus forward's former Old Trafford teammates, sources have told ESPN.

The 36-year-old, who spent six years at United between 2003 and 2009, is set to leave Juventus before the Aug. 31 transfer deadline after confirmation from the Italian club's coach, Massimiliano Allegri, that he has asked to leave the Serie A team.

- Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
- Don't have ESPN? Get instant access

Manchester City had seemed to be Ronaldo's next destination after ESPN sources revealed on Thursday that the former Real Madrid player had spoken on the phone to City manager Pep Guardiola about moving to the Etihad.

But City have now abandoned their attempts to sign Ronaldo, who had become a target following their failure earlier this week to strike a deal with Tottenham for Harry Kane, following United's late move to open talks with Ronaldo's agent, Jorge Mendes on Thursday.

Sources have said, however, that Ronaldo still favoured a move to Premier League champions City when United entered negotiations and was only convinced to consider a return to Old Trafford following contact from a number of former teammates.

City were left unhappy by Mendes' behaviour, according to ESPN sources, as Ronaldo's agent decided it would be better to make an emotional return rather than join hated rivals.

ESPN has been told that Ronaldo was still exchanging texts and WhatsApp messages with some ex-players as late as 1 a.m. BST on Friday morning.

Wayne Rooney, who played alongside Ronaldo at United, spoke on Thursday to say he doubted that Ronaldo would risk his reputation at Old Trafford by signing for City.

And sources have told ESPN that Ronaldo was told in clear terms by former teammates that his standing in United's history, and the affection with which he is still held by the fans, would be damaged forever if he signed for City.

Sources added that the contact from ex teammates tugged at Ronaldo's heart strings to the extent that he informed Mendes he favoured a move back to United rather City, leading to the Etihad outfit backing out on Friday to leave United a clear path to sealing a deal.

Information from ESPN correspondent Rodrigo Faez was used in this report

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Largely static and immobile, with little energy for making late runs into the box and being sulky with his colleagues on occasion, how will we ever replace Martial!
:lol: You had me going for my pitchfork for a second there

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
People were making out it's a mental health issue taking #4 off Jones and giving it to Varane. Which to me is so absurd it belongs in the hypernormalisation thread. I suppose numbers have already been decided for the season, but if you could still change, I'd take the #7 off Cavani in a heartbeat for Ronnie (and in turn take #9 off Martial for Cavani).

United Hobbit

I'm sat in the gym smirking like a deranged loon!

I live down south but we have a wonderful supporters club who I've got tickets through before. Covid has put me off using the coach but IF we sign him I may just have to, just to be able to say I've seen him play live....

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
it's a fun signing for United fans, probably would have been a fun signing for us just for the banter, but 2 year deal at £300k per week is still a bloody lot of money for a 36 year old. Anyone any idea what his transfer cost is, we were apparently fudging over £25m, what are United paying?
Which 36 year old in world football can still 30+ goals? He still can. He still is one of the top 5 footballers in the world today. This guy defies everything cause he is so determined and so fit.

Real Name

I remember @bosnian_red post what does potential City move does for them on and of the pitch.

Now him coming to United will do wonders for us of the pitch, commercially.

Red Stone

To those who don't agree with this:

Ronaldo movement in the box and heading ability is still there. Imagine having him there snatching on those half chances that we didn't score last season because Martial was outside the penalty box or Cavani didn't react quick enough.
This make sense on a footballing level as well
Having a professional winner like Ronaldo around is worth its weight in gold when we have players like Sanchp, Greenwood, Amad and Elanga coming up as well. We have a very young squad and need some mentors to help them along. There is no better mentor than Ronaldo.

Dante

Average bang
This will be his redemption arc.

I've said previously that I don't hold a lot of warm feelings for him. This could go a long way to fixing that.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
So much salt between those commas :lol:

tenpoless

Medical in Lisbon. Then when he lands in Manchester he'll be quarantined for 2 weeks. On top of that Ole will protect him by not playing him for another 5 weeks, we'll see him playing in October and that's when Rashford comes back so he's being put back on the bench. We'll see Ronaldo playing regularly in 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.