Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonçalo Motta

Buying Ronaldo is not exactly a massive bet. Even taking into consideration his age, he is still one of the best top scorers in the world and a reliable player in terms of output consistency.
I struggle to understand why a guy that scores 30-40 goals a season isn't a right fit for us. It's not like we are scoring for fun atm.

Either way, taking into consideration the financial difficulties that pretty much every team is struggling with, his wage would be a massive problem to any team's wage structure. I wouldn't mind him coming for 30M + an acceptable wage like 150k-200k/week (he currently earns something like 900k/week but it's not like he needs the money anyway). That would be around the value that Cavani is currently earning and he would be a massive upgrade over him in terms of output as well.

I don't see that happening but it would be a good deal for both parties in the short term.

Buying Ronaldo is not exactly a massive bet. Even taking into consideration his age, he is still one of the best top scorers in the world and a reliable player in terms of output consistency.
I struggle to understand why a guy that scores 30-40 goals a season isn't a right fit for us. It's not like we are scoring for fun atm.

Either way, taking into consideration the financial difficulties that pretty much every team is struggling with, his wage would be a massive problem to any team's wage structure. I wouldn't mind him coming for 30M + an acceptable wage like 150k-200k a week or something like that. That would be around the value that Cavani is currently earning and he would be a massive upgrade over him in terms of output as well.

I don't see that happening but it would be a good deal for both parties.
2 year contract is probably £60m in wages. If you are throwing in a transfer fee, as you’ve suggested that’s £90m.

it’s a team game. Ronaldo won’t/ can’t press enough for us. You can get away with that in a weaker league, but not in the PL.

I think it would be a disaster for both parties.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
2 year contract is probably £60m in wages. If you are throwing in a transfer fee, as you’ve suggested that’s £90m.

it’s a team game. Ronaldo won’t/ can’t press enough for us. You can get away with that in a weaker league, but not in the PL.

I think it would be a disaster for both parties.
Hence what we need most for next season is to recall Lingard back and build a team around him, the ultimate presser of ball. Players like Ronaldo and Messi who doesn't press enough would be a disaster for us.

Hence what we need most for next season is to recall Lingard back and build a team around him, the ultimate presser of ball. Players like Ronaldo and Messi who doesn't press enough would be a disaster for us.
Good one.

It’s not just pressing - that’s obvious. He doesn’t work enough for the team.

Look at Cavani, his defending when we need him, not just at set pieces.

Ronaldo is a great player - but I don’t understand why some people can’t fathom he is not right for us.

He’s absolutely not the player we need to take us forward, and would be a poor use of scarce resources.

MalcolmTucker

We actually are. Scoring goals isn't our problem, it's conceding them.

Also since Ronaldo went to Juventus, they've actually scored fewer goals on average despite Ronnie's goals (and the amount of goals in the league increasing). I'd certainly take him back but only if it was for a similar deal that Cavani has, but I doubt that's possible.

Bertie Wooster

Ronaldo is still a good #9, and there aren't many of those nowadays - and even less that are available and affordable.

If Cavani had left, and we weren't able / prepared to pay 100m + for the likes of Haaland or Kane, then Ronaldo would have been another acceptable short term alternative for a season or two. Maybe not as good as Cavani due to being less of a team player nowadays, but certainly one of the very few available options capable of coming in and doing similar to what Cavani and Ibrahimovic provided.

However, thankfully, Cavani has stayed for another year so we really don't need another ageing #9 to come in and fulfil that role, so there's no way we should be considering Ronaldo as an option now.

We need other areas for next year - RW, CM, CB - and we need to bring in a long term #9 in the next season or two. But we've got the short term signing covered with Cavani so Ronaldo isn't the kind of signing we need in the summer.

MrEleson

Ronaldo is still a good #9, and there aren't many of those nowadays - and even less that are available and affordable.

If Cavani had left, and we weren't able / prepared to pay 100m + for the likes of Haaland or Kane, then Ronaldo would have been another acceptable short term alternative for a season or two. Maybe not as good as Cavani due to being less of a team player nowadays, but certainly one of the very few available options capable of coming in and doing similar to what Cavani and Ibrahimovic provided.

However, thankfully, Cavani has stayed for another year so we really don't need another ageing #9 to come in and fulfil that role, so there's no way we should be considering Ronaldo as an option now.

We need other areas for next year - RW, CM, CB - and we need to bring in a long term #9 in the next season or two. But we've got the short term signing covered with Cavani so Ronaldo isn't the kind of signing we need in the summer.
I get what you’re trying to say but Cavani and Ronaldo aren’t at comparable levels. One is topscorer in his league and about to break the record for most goals in a season for his team (that he set himself last season) while the other is a rotation option for United. Make no mistake, if United signed Ronaldo today, he’d instantly be the team’s best forward and make them much stronger title contenders. The only issue around signing him is the wages and that yes, cavani is still there (fulfilled the veteran attacker quota).

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Either way, taking into consideration the financial difficulties that pretty much every team is struggling with, his wage would be a massive problem to any team's wage structure. I wouldn't mind him coming for 30M + an acceptable wage like 150k-200k/week (he currently earns something like 900k/week but it's not like he needs the money anyway). That would be around the value that Cavani is currently earning and he would be a massive upgrade over him in terms of output as well.

I don't see that happening but it would be a good deal for both parties in the short term.
Ronaldo would never accept anywhere near 200k, please tell me you don't believe that.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Ronaldo would never accept anywhere near 200k, please tell me you don't believe that.
His wages will be cut drastically but he will get more than 200k somewhere else.

Matthew84!

I like him as a player and he'll score goals but I think like what a few have said his wages are way too much.
I think he'd also cause problems with taking penalties and free kicks.
He has had many chances to come back when he was in his prime and he said no and I think it should be a no from us and let him stay in Italy.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
hes not finished.

but he constantly gets linked with United - and he’s clearly not the right player for us anymore.
Yeah Cavani who has been hailed an excellent signing scoring like 15 goals for us is a better option right?

Ronaldo would score 30 here if he came without batting an eye. Caftards here not to stop trying to be hipsters and claiming the greatest goalscorer in history "isn't" what we need.

We need to stop acting like goals don't decide games. "all he does is score, nothing else" no shit, how else do you win games?!

PoTMS

Yeah Cavani who has been hailed an excellent signing scoring like 15 goals for us is a better option right?

Ronaldo would score 30 here if he came without batting an eye. Caftards here not to stop trying to be hipsters and claiming the greatest goalscorer in history "isn't" what we need.

We need to stop acting like goals don't decide games. "all he does is score, nothing else" no shit, how else do you win games?!
And how much would he cost us as opposed to Cavani who came in on a free? He'd still command a hefty figure in transfer fees and wages at a time where we really need to strengthen in other positions first.

Im pretty sure it’s a team game.

who was the last player to score 30 goals for United? It’s not easy like you seem to think.

without batting an eyelid.

some people support clubs, rather than individual players.

the way Ronaldo plays, it’s not as straight forward as replacing Cavani and hey presto another 15 goals. Even someone as blinded by your dedication to a single player can Surely see that?

Ronaldo has scored the goals for Juventus, yet he wasn’t able to take them to the next level, and this season, where are they going to finish?

its a team game, and it’s far from as simple as you make out. Then you add on the cost…

£50/60/70/80/90/100?m

Rojow

He has regressed a lot in his overall gameplay. Hardly see him as a playmaker like many old strikers do in their final years, he's all about goals, without them, right now, he has not much to offer really. Sure, lots of goals, but when he doesn't score he is not having a good game most of the time.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
But he offers nothing (slight exaggeration) besides his goals. Juve have actually scored less goals since he arrived then before while the average in the league went up.

It is a bit like the Gomez at Bayern times: he scored in every game but Bayern was off worse

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nah still don't want him at United.

Sancho and other improvements will do just fine. He can retire elsewhere.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
To be fair, Juve's team as a whole has deteriorated massively in that time.
Yes, of course. But also because they went financially all-in to get Ronaldo since they thought he was the missing piece to get them a CL.
Ronaldo performed well but in hindsight the transfer was a bad business decision by Juve. Absolutely no blame on Ronaldo though.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes, of course. But also because they went financially all-in to get Ronaldo since they thought he was the missing piece to get them a CL.
Ronaldo performed well but in hindsight the transfer was a bad business decision by Juve. Absolutely no blame on Ronaldo though.
I mean, they went and spent big money on Rabiot, Ramsey, De Ligt, Chiesa, Douglas Costa, Demiral, Cancelo...

They just didn't spend well and fecked up the managerial hires after allegri

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Paying Ramsey 400k a week has its own problems mate.

It wasn't just Ronaldo.

It was financially banking on Ronaldo and 5 other first teamers...

steffyr2

Does this conversation happen every year? Always some people say he's finished or won't fit in or costs too much. Someday, they'll be right...maybe now?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In terms of business value, if 550m deal (4 years wage plus bonus) for Messi is good deal for Barca, surely 300m for Ronaldo (100m transfer fee + 4 years wage) is not a bad deal for Juventus? Given that they both have similar amount of output, and both clubs won similar amount of trophies in past 3 years or so, and the fact that Ronaldo has by far the most followings and endorsement value in sports world too.

Fridge chutney

Some chapters are best left closed. He ended a club legend, multiple premier league winner, as well as balon D'or and CL winner for us. Let's leave it at that.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He has regressed a lot in his overall gameplay. Hardly see him as a playmaker like many old strikers do in their final years, he's all about goals, without them, right now, he has not much to offer really. Sure, lots of goals, but when he doesn't score he is not having a good game most of the time.
True he has regressed a lot in his gameplay, which is normal due to his age, as he is already 36. But disagree with the bit that he is not having good game most of the time and he has not much to offer without goals. He does have some off games lately, but in general, he is still ranked 1st in average rating in Italy this year as according to whoscored.

His dribbling has regressed a lot over the years, but he is still ranked at 12th in dribbling in Italy (avg 1.8 dribble per game). In comparison, It’s interesting to note that our most talented player, Pogba, also have same dribbling stats in average as Ronaldo this season (1.8), whereas Rashford is on 2.2, Martial is on 1.6 and Greenwood is on 1.1, Bruno is on 0.5, Cavani is on 0.2. So he is still clearly better than most of our attackers in terms of taking on defenders.

But you may argue defensively, he has nothing much to offer. So for teams which required all of their attackers to press hard, or forming a wall to defend against freekicks, he may not be the ideal choice.

In short:
- best goalscorer in Italy (36 goals in 43 games)
- best/most consistent performer in Italy (ranked 1st in avg rating at 7.61)
- ranked 12th in dribbling (at 1.8, better than most of our attackers)
- not willing to drop back deep to take more defensive responsibility, not quite willing to chase loose balls and press hard, care about his face more when defending against freekick

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Does this conversation happen every year? Always some people say he's finished or won't fit in or costs too much. Someday, they'll be right...maybe now?
There's another 3-4 years of this yet.
He'll have semi retired to beach football at 41 and someone will still be adamant that He'll "score 30" and it'll be "great for a season".

We've long missed the time any return made sense.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
There's another 3-4 years of this yet.
He'll have semi retired to beach football at 41 and someone will still be adamant that He'll "score 30" and it'll be "great for a season".

We've long missed the time any return made sense.
To be fair scoring 36 goals in top 3 league is considered “great” season by any standards. Haaland scored around similar figure in top 4 league, which makes him hottest property in football. Messi scored around the same in top 2 league, where people are talking about him being contender to win Ballon D’or.

Last edited:

Nedved

Paying Ramsey 400k a week has its own problems mate.

It wasn't just Ronaldo.

It was financially banking on Ronaldo and 5 other first teamers...
Is that myth still being spread? Ramsey earns significantly less than that, although still too much for a bench player.

SATA

Are Juve not making the CL? It'll be hilarious to see him turn up in the europa league against some Georgian or Kazakhstan minnows

Jerzol78

Are Juve not making the CL? It'll be hilarious to see him turn up in the europa league against some Georgian or Kazakhstan minnows
Looks like Napoli needs to win their game and Milan has to beat Atalanta (away) in the last round. Hard task for Milan there.

thepolice123

He is not going to take an 80% paycut to come here. Jesus christ.

Gonçalo Motta

He is not going to take an 80% paycut to come here. Jesus christ.
In normal circunstances I would agree but we live in the Covid era now and there's no way that any club would pay him 900k/week (including PSG).

If he heads up to PSG I assume that he will probably earn something like half of what he is currently earning. If he rathers go to another club instead, I don't see anyone paying more than 250k/week for a 36 y old player.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
In terms of business value, if 550m deal (4 years wage plus bonus) for Messi is good deal for Barca, surely 300m for Ronaldo (100m transfer fee + 4 years wage) is not a bad deal for Juventus? Given that they both have similar amount of output, and both clubs won similar amount of trophies in past 3 years or so, and the fact that Ronaldo has by far the most followings and endorsement value in sports world too.
Why always bring up Messi? A deal can be bad even if another one might be worse (Not my opinion).

thepolice123

In normal circunstances I would agree but we live in the Covid era now and there's no way that any club would pay him 900k/week (including PSG).

If he heads up to PSG I assume that we will probably earn something like half of what he is currently earning. If he rathers go to other club instead, I don't see anyone paying more than 250k/week for a 36 y old player.
Our top earner is DDG who is on 375k/week. Giving him anywhere in the region of 500k/week would absolutely cripple our wage bill. Not to mention players will use that an example to demand higher wages.

Gonçalo Motta

Our top earner is DDG who is on 375k/week. Giving him anywhere in the region of 500k/week would absolutely cripple our wage bill. Not to mention players will use that an example to demand higher wages.
What I meant was that the best case scenario for him in terms of wages would be to go to PSG.

He is still a great player and although his decline is slower than most, he is still not going to get better than he is now. Paying more than 200-250k/week for him atp would be a dumb move, specially if you take in to consideration the financial issues that came with Covid.

I see value in getting him for 30M (don't know if it is confirmed but that is the value that Juve are selling him) + 200k/week in wages + Performance bonus. I just don't see that happening

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No they won’t. It’s Ronaldo we talking about, not Sanchez or some players. We are talking about all time greatest goalscorer with 280m Instagram followers. No one in their sane mind would think they deserves more, just because Ronaldo earns more.

Status
Not open for further replies.