Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
The Jordan of Football?

I'd think so. The guy is an alpha player, doesn't matter how good you are he will try to be better than you.
The perfect comparison actually.

They both have the same mindset and worth ethic With the trophies to match which is the reason they are the best in there respective sports.

Righteous Steps

The Jordan of Football?

I'd think so. The guy is an alpha player, doesn't matter how good you are he will try to be better than you.
No Jordan was unanimously the best basketball player of the late 80’s and early 90’s in every metric, Ronaldo isn’t the best footballer of the last 10 years in every metric.

SportingCP96

Supports
No Jordan was unanimously the best basketball player of the late 80’s and early 90’s in every metric, Ronaldo isn’t the best footballer of the last 10 years in every metric.
Based on mentality and worth ethic Ronaldo and Jordan is the absolute perfect comparison. No other player in football comes close in terms of that comparison.

Now about being the best obviously that was split with Lionel Messi as they both shared the stage.

When it’s all said and done if the question is who is the greatest between the two Ronaldo would fall in that category.

Unless Messi wins a major trophy for Argentina I just can’t see the argument swaying the other way.

But I think what he meant about the comparison to Jordan is Mentality wise and worth ethic they are both unmatched in there respective sports.

Righteous Steps

Based on mentality and worth ethic Ronaldo and Jordan is the absolute perfect comparison. No other player in football comes close in terms of that comparison.

Now about being the best obviously that was split with Lionel Messi as they both shared the stage.

When it’s all said and done if the question is who is the greatest between the two Ronaldo would fall in that category.

Unless Messi wins a major trophy for Argentina I just can’t see the argument swaying the other way.

But I think what he meant about the comparison to Jordan is Mentality wise and worth ethic they are both unmatched in there respective sports.
I agree with the mentality and work ethic, but Messi is so good I think their is yet to be his a like in Basketball, Jordan on quality is the closest, but a Messi comparison in basketball would probably be the amalgamation of several players that’s how good he is, the best playmaker and the best scorer in the game, a mix or Durant and Lebron maybe?

SportingCP96

Supports
I agree with the mentality and work ethic, but Messi is so good I think their is yet to be his a like in Basketball, Jordan on quality is the closest, but a Messi comparison in basketball would probably be the amalgamation of several players that’s how good he is, the best playmaker and the best scorer in the game, a mix or Durant and Lebron maybe?
Best playmaker yes but best scorer would be Ronaldo.

Plus keep in mind he played as an out and out winger for the first 7 years of his career until he became a full on scorer.

In terms of greatness and clutch performers Ronaldo and MJ are like for like in there respective sports. Ronaldo and Messi shared there generations together but Ronaldo was the greatest of the two. Dominated multiple leagues won the grandest of them all which is a major trophy for his country which was unprecedented before he came. Made Portugal a constant team in major completions which is something that never happened Before he came. 3 peat. I mean besides his numbers his accomplishments to match is remarkable.

Not that Messi has not had amazing accomplishments but until he wins a major trophy for his country Ronaldo has the edge.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This guy would go on to be one of the greatest of all time.

MrEleson

So a club that has featured the likes of prime Del Piero, Platini, Ibrahimovic, Trezeguet, Inzaghi, Baggio, Tevez and many others has had absolutely no one score above 25 league goals since 1960 but a 35 year old Ronaldo with 1000 career games worth of mileage on his legs casually comes along and breaks that record with probably one of their weakest midfields ever. The guy is really something else.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The perfect comparison actually.

They both have the same mindset and worth ethic With the trophies to match which is the reason they are the best in there respective sports.
It's really not the perfect comparison and here's why, MJ never had to tell anyone he was the greatest, people just knew it and said it for him. CR7 has had to tell multiple times he's the greatest and no one is buying it outside of his most die hard fans.

The better comparison is Lebron James. Physical specimen, at an older age but still doing things physically most people in their 20's can't, hardly ever got hurt, all-time great that's desperate to be seen as the GOAT but won't be in most people's eyes.

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
It's really not the perfect comparison and here's why, MJ never had to tell anyone he was the greatest, people just knew it and said it for him. CR7 has had to tell multiple times he's the greatest and no one is buying it outside of his most die hard fans.

The better comparison is Lebron James. Physical specimen, at an older age but still doing things physically most people in their 20's can't, hardly ever got hurt, all-time great that's desperate to be seen as the GOAT but won't be in most people's eyes.
Could not have put it better myself, well done Sir!

MJ also was probably the most skilled basketball player ever, which CRonaldo is nowhere near in football...

SportingCP96

Supports

That’s highly debatable though.

Messi and Ronaldo have shared this generation. Messi was not the undisputed best and neither was Ronaldo hence the never ending debate.

Ronaldo though has accomplished more on an international level and in the CL which is the highest level of competition out there along with the fact that he has done it in multiple leagues, systems, etc.

I don’t want to make this an off topic debate because there is a thread for this but Ronaldo is quite simply the greater player of the two.

If Messi had the argument Ronaldo has then people would say “not even close never a debate etc”

As far as the MJ comparison we are talking about Mentality and worth ethic wise which is 100% True. Ronaldo and MJ have the same work ethic and mentality which is unmatched to anyone in there respective sports.

As far as player comparisons no one in football can be compared to MJ in basketball because MJ was indisputably the best player in his sport where as Ronaldo and Messi were never the undisputed best player in there sport.

As far as re LBJ comparison player wise it is spot on with Ronaldo. Physical fitness , longevity, skill, and they are both the best and most impactful players in there sport.

SportingCP96

Supports
So a club that has featured the likes of prime Del Piero, Platini, Ibrahimovic, Trezeguet, Inzaghi, Baggio, Tevez and many others has had absolutely no one score above 25 league goals since 1960 but a 35 year old Ronaldo with 1000 career games worth of mileage on his legs casually comes along and breaks that record with probably one of their weakest midfields ever. The guy is really something else.

This man had done it in the best and hardest leagues in the world. Requests a transfer at 34 and still joins another team and breaks records.

Never been anything like him in football before.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
At an age when most quality forwards are being subbed on for the last twenty minutes to try and grab a goal, this guy goes to another top league and breaks records. He is phenomenal.

Forget the whole debate, he can only be admired. The fact that he played for United and we got to witness his rise is one of my best memories as a supporter.

He is an absolute legend and one of the very greatest of all time.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Could not have put it better myself, well done Sir!

MJ also was probably the most skilled basketball player ever, which CRonaldo is nowhere near in football...
:lol: Barcelona and Argentina supporter talking about Ronaldo.

The thing is some people just view the 'natural skills' of footballer and rate their ability at that. Messi has always had more magical skills than C Ronaldo but Messi is a player who is scared to prove himself in different environments to scare away his accomplishments at Barcelona and so reverts to playing the same football, doing the same skills at the same league.

It's just so dull to watch. The guy still produces numbers, he can have a game where he does nothing (games before yesterday) before he has 2 or 3 assists in one game like yesterday - but La Liga has always been his territory.

It's exactly Ronaldo's wanting to be known as the GOAT that makes him stand out to the people who think of him as the best, moving to different leagues, breaking all types of records, winning national league stuff, playing in different tactics, playing with different managers, playing in teams who dont go quiet after legends retire like Barcelona does.

All messi has now is magic and numbers - he stopped wanting to compete with Ronaldo a long time ago and decided to take the easy way out whilst Ronaldo took a little more varied route in Football.

Some people are happy enough to rate players by their magical abilities they see even if it's against one of the most lopsided leagues for the entirety of their career - but ultimately some people felt Ronaldo wanted to prove himself to the world and that was important to them because he was highly successful.

SportingCP96

Supports
Fun fact.

Manuel Neuer has as many assists (1) to Lewandowski as

Pjanic (1)
Costa (1)
Higuain (1)
Matupiri (1)

And then

Ramsey, Sandro, Rabiot all with ZERO

yet the man will still have over 30 goals this season for Juve and has over 40 goals all together this season.

hubbuh

Agreed. Michael Jordan is completely separate from all other sports people.

fps

Best playmaker yes but best scorer would be Ronaldo.

Plus keep in mind he played as an out and out winger for the first 7 years of his career until he became a full on scorer.

In terms of greatness and clutch performers Ronaldo and MJ are like for like in there respective sports. Ronaldo and Messi shared there generations together but Ronaldo was the greatest of the two. Dominated multiple leagues won the grandest of them all which is a major trophy for his country which was unprecedented before he came. Made Portugal a constant team in major completions which is something that never happened Before he came. 3 peat. I mean besides his numbers his accomplishments to match is remarkable.

Not that Messi has not had amazing accomplishments but until he wins a major trophy for his country Ronaldo has the edge.
*Checks where poster is from*

*keeps scrolling*

fps

It's exactly Ronaldo's wanting to be known as the GOAT that makes him stand out to the people who think of him as the best, moving to different leagues, breaking all types of records, winning national league stuff, playing in different tactics, playing with different managers, playing in teams who dont go quiet after legends retire like Barcelona does.
Ronaldo moved to Man United because it was his best option to develop to get his dream move to Madrid.

He then moved to Juventus when he was no longer wanted at Madrid.

Messi's just been at the club he wants to be at all his life.

hubbuh

Fun fact.

Manuel Neuer has as many assists (1) to Lewandowski as

Pjanic (1)
Costa (1)
Higuain (1)
Matupiri (1)

And then

Ramsey, Sandro, Rabiot all with ZERO

yet the man will still have over 30 goals this season for Juve and has over 40 goals all together this season.
Where are you getting those numbers from? This has Pjanic with 3, Higuain with 4, Costa with 4, Matuidi with 2, Sandro with 3, and Ramsey with 1.

Bebestation

Ronaldo moved to Man United because it was his best option to develop to get his dream move to Madrid.

And with that loyalty comes a protection only Messi has.

fps

And with that loyalty comes a protection only Messi has.
Protection? There is a lot of weird reaching in this thread. So odd how attached people get to one player or the other, as if the players' successes are somehow their own. They're both wonderful players, can that not be enough?

Bebestation

Protection? There is a lot of weird reaching in this thread. So odd how attached people get to one player or the other, as if the players' successes are somehow their own. They're both wonderful players, can that not be enough?
I never said he wasn't wonderful. Messi is the most magical player I've seen. Anyway it's not the right thread to talk about this - I just got involved when people started talking about Ronaldo being Lebron James or some next cr*p.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
If only Football was 1 vs 1 sport like Tennis where they could go head to head rather than a 11 vs 11 men team game.

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
From all other basketball players. He's not even the most undisputed GOAT in American sport, let alone all sport.
He's not even the undisputed GOAT in basketball. A bunch of people myself included have kareem number 1.

MalcolmTucker

All messi has now is magic and numbers - he stopped wanting to compete with Ronaldo a long time ago and decided to take the easy way out whilst Ronaldo took a little more varied route in Football.
:lol:

So let me get this straight - Messi and Ronaldo are competing in the strongest (or 2nd strongest) league in the world, in teams that are arch rivals and fighting for top-scorer and league champions season after season. Then Ronaldo decides to move away to a weaker league, to a team that have won the title 7 times in a row and where he doesn't have to compete with Messi every week yet you've somehow managed to come to the conclusion that Messi was the one who wanted to stop competing with Ronaldo? Do you know how utterly bizarre that conclusion is?

This thread is so odd sometimes - every other post is about Basketball players for some reason.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

You can't compare the Serie A that Del Piero, Platini, Ibrahimovich, Trezeguet, Inzaghi, or Baggio played in with the Serie A of today. During their periods it was the strongest league in the world. Today it is barely above Ligue 1 level. Apples and Oranges. I suppose Ciro Immobile is better than all those players too.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

So let me get this straight - Messi and Ronaldo are competing in the strongest (or 2nd strongest) league in the world, in teams that are arch rivals and fighting for top-scorer and league champions season after season. Then Ronaldo decides to move away to a weaker league, to a team that have won the title 7 times in a row and where he doesn't have to compete with Messi every week yet you've somehow managed to come to the conclusion that Messi was the one who wanted to stop competing with Ronaldo? Do you know how utterly bizarre that conclusion is?

This thread is so odd sometimes - every other post is about Basketball players for some reason.
I've never known which club Messi is ever have to supposed to moved to. Real Madrid and Barcelona have always been the dream destinations for latino players. Ever since Barcelona and Messi ascended in 2009 to a new level, I don't think there has ever been a move for him that made sense. Man Utd? Spanked us twice in 2 CL finals under Fergie, and we have been bang average since then. City and Chelsea are hardly dream clubs for someone like Messi. PSG is another plastic club in a poorer league. Going to Bayern just doesn't make sense either, it's poorer league and they probably couldn't afford him either. Seria A? Well again a poorer league where Juventus has been walking it for ages now. There's never really been a logical move away for Messi the way I see it.

Bebestation

Messi has still time to win something with Argentina, the only other team he has played with. If he does that then he has proven something to me. Take care :D Messi performances/accomplishments have deteriorated in my eyes by 10-15% since Xavi, Iniesta have retired and managerial changes have been made. I'd like to see if he is able to lead Barcelona back to previous levels as the main GOAT player they envision him to be - a bit like how Argentina once maybe envisioned or wished him to be.

I'm willing to change my opinion if it does. Right now I see a 34 year old in a new league breaking new records again - it's just more interesting to me than Messi dribbling past leganes again for another year.

PS. Not the right thread for this so highlight me on the Messi vs Ronaldo thread if you like.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite

Ronaldo challenged and proved himself in different systems, at different clubs in different counties.

Messi has been spoonfed the Barca system and enjoys being comfortable in the only stage he has ever done well in.

MalcolmTucker

I'm willing to change my opinion if it does. Right now I see a 34 year old in a new league breaking new records again - it's just more interesting to me than Messi dribbling past leganes again for another year.
It's more interesting to you because you want it to be. Serie A is the fourth best league in Europe and Juventus have dominated it for the best part of a decade. La Liga is a demonstrably more competitive league and the standard is higher. You may be bored of Messi dribbling against Leganes but it's more difficult to do that than to score a penalty against SPAL. That's not meant to be a dig at Ronaldo, he's doing great as a 35 year old but it's absolutely baffling that Ronaldo fans are acting as if he's some brave conquering hero going to Juventus rather than it being a smart and considered career move to a weaker league. No one is saying Neymar is proving himself by moving to PSG, everyone is uninamous in the fact he stepped down a level to play in a weaker league for a dominant team - it's only Ronaldo fans who like to push the narrative that Ronaldo has proven himself in more leagues/different teams because it's one of only ways they can attempt to justify Ronaldo being better in their minds when in reality, the majority of football pundits and fans will always see Messi as the greater player no matter how many leagues Ronaldo ends up playing in because Messi is simply better at football.

RedDevil@84

There are always new wildly creative arguments on both sides! We've never never seen excatly this discussion before!
Is it really creative though? Most discussion points seem to be boiling down to Messi staying in one league and Ronaldo doing otherwise. Which has been done to death in so many threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.