Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
For an 18 year old to come to Manutd and do what he done is a challenge. Can you name me the last time a Manutd player won the Ballon D'or? Can you remind me before and after how well Manutd done in the CL?

He went to Madrid during a rebuild and broke all records, fighting against one of the best ever footballing teams in Barcelona and going toe to toe against one of the greatest footballers (Messi) ever.

For Ronaldo just to do what he done, to challenge Messi for so many years shows what he has actually achieved.

Going to Juventus was to win the CL.
Man United got to more CL finals after Ronaldo left than with him at the club. If we played prime Pep Barca in 08 with Ronaldo we would have lost the final. If we played Chelsea in the final when Ronaldo left instead of prime Barca we most likely would have won 2 CL without him.

He went to Madrid during a rebuild and broke loads of records yet only won 2 LL titles in 9 years, it dm how many records he broke, he failed domestically to help Real win more titles. Which was the first reason he was brought in for. However what he did in Europe is absolutely amazing but I am talking domestically.

Going to Juve to win the CL and he failed at that and will fail in the future.

He didn’t exactly join rubbish teams to make it that much of a challenge really.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It’s so frustrating how these threads go, either trying to diminish the importance of a landmark or record or bringing up another player to compare said achievement too.
I hate it too. I critique it everywhere.

We do not need to talk other things up or down in order to marginalise or appreciate another.

Ronaldo has done very well in Italy and it’s impressive that he’s broken Juve’s scoring record that’s stood for 50 years. It would have been impressive if he did it at 26. Doing so at 35 is pretty amazing.

There’s so much more pleasure to be had from talking about the positives. The actual thing that’s happened. It can stand alone and doesn’t need to be interrogated from 342 different angles.

romufc

Man United got to more CL finals after Ronaldo left than with him at the club. If we played prime Pep Barca in 08 with Ronaldo we would have lost the final. If we played Chelsea in the final when Ronaldo left instead of prime Barca we most likely would have won 2 CL without him.

He went to Madrid during a rebuild and broke loads of records yet only won 2 LL titles in 9 years, it dm how many records he broke, he failed domestically to help Real win more titles. Which was the first reason he was brought in for. However what he did in Europe is absolutely amazing but I am talking domestically.

He didn’t exactly join rubbish teams to make it that much of a challenge really.
Yes, but we all know we were alot more dangerous with Ronaldo in our team than not.

Actually no. The reason he was signed was to get the CL back. Yes, that is because one of the greatest ever teams and player was in the same league in Barcelona dominating football.

Yet, he managed to get those figures which no one thought he could season in season out. He won them 3 CL trophies in a row.

That is a challenge for him to do it at another club at the age of 35. DO you realise he has been at the top of his game since 2007? 13 years being on top form.. what other player other than messi even comes close to that?

Toad

he failed :lol: I'd say his team let him down rather than he let the team down. Madness...

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

Isn't this not true?

W Ronaldo
08 UCL - won
09 UCL - lost

W/O Ronaldo
11 UCL - lost

Handré1990

Isn't this not true?

W Ronaldo
08 UCL - won
09 UCL - lost

W/O Ronaldo
11 UCL - lost
Don’t worry, it’s not the first convenient mistake he’s had in this discussion.

On the page before this:
Real Madrid were the biggest and most successful club in the world before Ronaldo joined and won La Liga 2 seasons in a row when Ronaldo joined while also spending a lot of money the season he joined and all the seasons there after.
They were soundly beaten in the title race and in head to heads in the 08/09 season, but you know, details!

iHicksy

Didn't madrid recently win three CL's in a row? I wonder how they managed that having to carry that deadweight Ronaldo. Must be why they've won it every year since he left too.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Was genuinely wondering who else we lost to in the final without Cristiano. Even thought “wait did José get to a CL final?” :lol:

Giggs' right foot

Yes, I agree. It’s not like a footballers’ career on average spans around a mere 10-15 years, so he totally should’ve gone to a lesser club, with lesser chances at winning and a lesser salary with a smaller stadium because of challenges. That’s how the world works. In order to prove themselves it’s known that the smartest scientists in the world chucks 20 years of their career away, with the challenge of lecturing five-year-olds. In other words, this is such a bad take. Why not paint with a professional brush rather than your finger? The latter is more of a challenge, but the former has the better result.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's obviously bullshit that Ronaldo failed anywhere. He's done incredibly for Madrid. His poor domestic title cabinet for them doesn't diminish that. And he's still doing great for Juventus. He cut most of the spectacular things from his game and the result is still one of if not the the best forward in world football aged almost 35. And that player is just a shadow of his former self. This belittling of such achievements is a shame. Especially since people who (rightly) criticized Ronaldo fans for judging Messi based on team successes are now doing the exact same thing. I hate double standards.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
There can't possibly be a debate about his time at Madrid being a failure surely?

Seems to be back in top form now after a tough restart. If Juve turn it around against Lyon, he's in with a chance.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Every season he's played since before he went to Italy he was competing against the best teams in the world domestically. He was in the Premier League when english teams were at their best and was in La Liga when spanish teams were at their best. Now well into his thirties he can finally win league titles without the best teams in the world as competition.

But I think he can do more than just win the league and break some records there. Juve are desperate to win the CL for years now and if he wants to retire with the perfect career he's going to have to win it there too. Should get at least 3/4 more chances at it and it obviously depends on more factors than just him but if he's as good as I believe him to be, Juve will do it. Maybe not this year but eventually.

MrEleson

Your agenda here against Ronaldo is hilarious. So funny that you’re not even making valid points to argue your case. But it’s what Ive come to expect as I’ve seen multiple agenda driven post from you about him in the past.

MrEleson

Every season he's played since before he went to Italy he was competing against the best teams in the world domestically. He was in the Premier League when english teams were at their best and was in La Liga when spanish teams were at their best. Now well into his thirties he can finally win league titles without the best teams in the world as competition.

But I think he can do more than just win the league and break some records there. Juve are desperate to win the CL for years now and if he wants to retire with the perfect career he's going to have to win it there too. Should get at least 3/4 more chances at it and it obviously depends on more factors than just him but if he's as good as I believe him to be, Juve will do it. Maybe not this year but eventually.
I think the biggest thing for him is to avoid injuries. If Ronaldo can manage to stay injury free, he can continue to play at this level for another 3-4 years (in my humble opinion). I doubt his training regime will change much as he’s pretty much as motivated as he’s always been. He’ll keep doing the right things in terms of preparation, training, nutrition, etc so his body will only age slightly every year. With each passing year, his intelligence will enable him to adapt his game little by little to negate being slightly older.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Please could you stop talking about Messi in the Ronaldo thread. I haven’t once said anything about Ronaldo compared to Messi, I am talking about this myth that Ronaldo has challenged himself.

No I never said that, winning the CL multiple times is a fantastic achievement and probably the best tournament in the world, (some would argue the WC), but many teams have won it while not even being the best team in their league.

Ronaldo was brought in to help topple Barcelona domestically and only managed it twice. It took him a while to help Real win the CL and it coincided with the rest of the team peaking. Juve won’t win the CL with Ronaldo and Real are about to win the league without him so you can see it’s not always about Ronaldo bringing the success.

Big goals in the CL latter stages from Ramos and Bale and massive team performances were also a factor in the CL wins. Yes Ronaldo was a huge part of this success but he wasn’t the only player to put up big game winning performances.
Sure, but he is still the biggest factor of Madrid succes over that period, and I don't think anyone could question that.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Ronaldo actually scored total 311 goals in 292 La Liga games, the only player ever who has in average scored more than a goal per game, and your are saying he fail domestically at Real Madrid, just because he only won 2 La Liga titles? Do you realise how ridiculously harsh you sound?

Also, saying he fail at Juventus for not winning CL in his first attempt, is extremely harsh too. I hope you are not applying the same standard to Messi. If you do, Messi is a mega failure by your own definition, as he fail to win it year after year at Barca after many attempts.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite

Are you okay?

United did NOT get to more CL finals without Ronaldo. If we rightfully played chelsea in 09 instead of cheating barcelona, we would have won two in a row.

Stop trying to make up the idea that the league title is worth more than the prestiguous champions league title. You can ask every single player and pundit if they would prefer CL over the league and 99.9% of them would say so.

The CL is the holy grail and Madrid under Ronaldo won 4 out of 5. Before this, Madrid was a joke in the CL where they would not even make it past the round of 16 before Mourinho joined. That's a fact. Ronaldo was the driving force in a lot of those campaigns.

Warning: NO MORE RONALDO V MESSI IN THIS THREAD

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This thread is becoming tiresome. Like I requested earlier stop with the endless ronaldo v Messi debate taking over every topic. Nobody is changing their stance so why not debate it when they both retire? Or at least create a seperate bloody thread about it! I’m so close to thread banning folks from this thread constantly taking it to thus endless debate going around in circles for the last 5 years at least!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I have very little doubt that a prime CR7 would score more than 25 Serie A goals during the time Del Piero, Baggio, Ibra, etc played in the league.
Seems likely. Ibra himself scored 25 or more in two separate seasons. Several others posted 25+ totals too in the relevant period.

In fact, prime Cristiano would most likely break the all-time Serie A record for a single season not just Juve’s.
Quite possible given that the all-time record is 36 (Higuain) - and he did that in 2016.

It's Italy, though. They don't do goals galore (in general).

ETA That said, 36 league goals compares fairly well to anything that isn't positively freakish:

Bundesliga, for instance: 40 goals (Gerd Müller, 1971-72).

Freakish:

La Liga: 50 goals (Messi, 2011-12).

(Ronaldo in 2nd place with 48 goals, 2014-15, deserves a mention too).

And let's not forget England: 60 goals (Dixie Dean, 1927-28 - he also scored 45 league goals in another season).

Others:

France: 44 goals (Skoblar, 1970-71). Ibra's 38 goals in 2015-16 is the 2nd highest.

Netherlands: 43 goals (Dillen, 1956-57). Not super interesting, one might say, given the quality of the league at the time *. Van Basten with 37 goals in 1985-86 is considerably more interesting - compare that with his stats in Italy shortly after. Says a great deal about the Serie A in those years.

Brazil: Heh. Who knows. Depends on what you look at, and what you consider a full "league" season. If you go with the national league (which doesn't date back further than 1971), it's 34 goals (Washington - yeah, the great Washington, who doesn't remember him? - 2004).

Pelé scored 58 goals over 38 games in the 1958 state championship (the Paulista) - according to generally accepted records.

* Could say that something similar is true for Skoblar's record in France, I suppose.

Last edited:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He simply can't stop scoring BUT the highlight is that he finally cut that stupid ass man bun.

el3mel

They're honestly wasting Ronaldo's time with such manager at this point.

United58

There can't possibly be a debate about his time at Madrid being a failure surely?

Seems to be back in top form now after a tough restart. If Juve turn it around against Lyon, he's in with a chance.
Rest seems to have been great for older players - Matic is completely re-energised too

RooneyLegend

Nah, the players just aren't up to scratch. Juve have to realize that in order to be as good as Barca and Madrid have been this past decade it takes a lot of great players.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
They know that Messi will never be as sumptuously aqualine and hardonly oiled as our definitely not bisexual win machine.
In 15+ years of reading the Caf I think this may be the best sentence I've ever come across.

My cap is this: doffed.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Don't think it's Sarri's fault at all, he's done alright and Juve have actually started to look better.

Milan result is the players' fault, way too many bad performances and individual mistakes.

Revan

Assumptionman
Ronaldo by the end of this season would have won (at least, could be more): 5 UCL (top scorer in all of them), 7 league titles (top scorer in a few of them), 1 Euro (joined top scorer in the tournament) and countless domestic trophies.

He has won 5 Ballon D'Ors, is Real Madrid's top scorer of all time, is top scorer of all time in UCL (and in any stage of it), and top scorer of his country.

Or in the words of @The holy trinity 68, 'he has failed'.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
On when they have to retire, with that level of goals Cristiano should continue for at least two years.
@Peyroteo said about ending his contract and going to Portugal to retire, which seems reasonable.
Every day he seems closer to the family life and I do not know if he would be willing to move the entire clan to Miami for example .
The Messiologists will think I'm crazy but I think Messi is less and less beneficial for Barcelona every day.
Sometimes a team has to put on the scale performance on the field against influence on the team, system, coaches and even public opinion, and in his case I don't think is so uneven.
But who is the brave in the club that takes that step?.
A gentle decline that I hope will lengthen.
About Messi, I do not know what is going through his head, if he will try to prolong his career as much as possible or will retire "à la Zidane"

edit: sorry, wrong thread, I thought this was Messi-Cristiano thread

Last edited:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Scored and was at fault for the 3rd goal. Pretty meh performance by his standards

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Scored his 26 league goal, only 3 behind immobile.
Anyway, list of top scorer in top 5 domestic league this season:

1. Lewandowski - 34 goals in 31 games
2. Immobile - 29 goals in 30 games
3. Werner - 28 goals in 34 games
4. Ronaldo - 26 goals in 27 games
5. Messi - 22 goals in 29 games
6. Vardy - 21 goals in 30 games
7. Lukaku - 20 goals in 30 games
8. Aubameyang - 19 goals in 31 games
9. Mbappe - 18 goals in 20 games
9. Yedder - 18 goals in 28 games
10. Ings - 18 goals in 33 games
11. Salah - 17 goals in 29 games
11. Pedro - 17 goals in 29 games
11. Sancho - 17 goals in 32 games
11. Benzema - 17 goals in 33 games

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Ronaldo by the end of this season would have won (at least, could be more): 5 UCL (top scorer in all of them), 7 league titles (top scorer in a few of them), 1 Euro (joined top scorer in the tournament) and countless domestic trophies.

He has won 5 Ballon D'Ors, is Real Madrid's top scorer of all time, is top scorer of all time in UCL (and in any stage of it), and top scorer of his country.

Or in the words of @The holy trinity 68, 'he has failed'.
I was talking about failed domestically with Real Madrid in regards to league titles. All them records are superb and I still have him in my top 5 of all time but 2 LL titles with Real Madrid in 9 years isn't a great haul for the biggest club in the world.

His CL haul is unbelievable and so are all his individual honours, but i was talking about how it is a myth that he has challenged himself in 4 leagues and how his domestic titles in Spain aren't great regardless of opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.