Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's only scored 20 goals in open play in all competitions this season. He's certainly become a mere mortal.
I don't think Messi even has 20 goals in open play this season(this is his worst scoring season since his prime started).

I am not comparing the two. Just pointing it out.

Bennz McCarthey17

Supports
Africa
Imagine Cristiano playing for top 4 spots :lol:, biggest joke in Football. Let the kids play for that, he's not the greatest Champions League footballer for watching the tournament on TV.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
6 games left, needs 6 goals to win the golden boot and 8 to pass Serie A's record. He'll probably get rested at some point though and Juve have so many limitations in attack that he might not get enough chances for it.

What's more frustrating about watching him this season is the fact he's arguably the best player ever in the air but when the ball gets to one of the fullbacks on the byline there is literally no other player with him in the box so instead of crossing the ball the fullbacks always pass it back and recycle possession. At Madrid sometimes even the opposing fullback would appear in the box to score off the other fullback's cross. At Juve it's a miracle if one of the midfielders dares to go that far forward. One would think that the older he got, the more important his ability in the air would become... instead he's forced to come deeper and deeper to try to make something happen and he's scoring more in transition than he is from crosses.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I don't think Messi even has 20 goals in open play this season(this is his worst scoring season since his prime started).

I completely agree with you honestly, I think their dominance is over now, which is very sad to see because it's been beautiful to watch both of them week in week out, but they aren't the same players. They're not as dominant now perhaps Ronaldo has one season left in Europe and then the MLS.

We're reaching the period now where teams would rather have younger player in Sancho, Mbappe, Sterling, over Messi and Ronaldo (sadly) because clubs would rather have 5+ seasons versus one or two.

Absolute legends of the game, I think now in Ronaldos case its enjoy the final season of his next year, I can see it being his last in Europe.

Messi perhaps has 2 or 3 left in him pending injuries as he can drop deeper but he's 33 now and we are witnessing them being 'world-class' versus in a bracket of their own now.

RooneyLegend

Actually has 22, but he at least has an eye watering amount of assists going for him. He's also very human atm. He's losing la Liga to a Ronaldoless Madrid for instance and didn't look all that great in the CL vs Napoli.

MrEleson

I completely agree with you honestly, I think their dominance is over now, which is very sad to see because it's been beautiful to watch both of them week in week out, but they aren't the same players. They're not as dominant now perhaps Ronaldo has one season left in Europe and then the MLS.

We're reaching the period now where teams would rather have younger player in Sancho, Mbappe, Sterling, over Messi and Ronaldo (sadly) because clubs would rather have 5+ seasons versus one or two.

Absolute legends of the game, I think now in Ronaldos case its enjoy the final season of his next year, I can see it being his last in Europe.

Messi perhaps has 2 or 3 left in him pending injuries as he can drop deeper but he's 33 now and we are witnessing them being 'world-class' versus in a bracket of their own now.
28 league goals in 28 league games and 32 in all competitions domestically and somehow he's on his way to playing in the MLS?:lol: He's only 6 goals behind Lewandowski (who's top goalscorer in all of Europe's top 5 leagues) despite playing alongside the weakest set of players he's had since 2003. He's nowhere near done. If anything, his team is holding him back massively.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
28 league goals in 28 league games and 32 in all competitions domestically and somehow he's on his way to playing in the MLS?:lol::lol: He's only 6 goals behind Lewandowski (who's top goalscorer in all of Europe's top 5 leagues) despite playing alongside the weakest set of players he's had since 2003. He's nowhere near done. If anything, his team is holding him back massively.
Realistically I think Ronaldo has one or two more seasons in Europe yes, do you honestly believe Ronaldo will still be in Europe at 37-8 years old playing as much as he does now?

Giggs made it to 39-40 but he wasn't playing as often as he used to, for a player like Ronaldo at that age he won't be moving around as much in games not as much as he used to if he wants to play a lot of games, so sacrifices will be need to made in other areas of the field.

If Ronaldo is still playing in Europe when he turns 38 I'd be very surprised, at 37 I can see him moving to the MLS.

Ibrahimovic is obviously the only player I can think of thats playing at 38, but I just can't see Ronaldo being at Juventus that long, if Juventus keep him fair play to them, but his wages at some point don't match his output and he would have to take a pay-cut.

Ronaldo is one of the greatest players to grace the game, but I can't see him being at the top top level in 2 seasons from now.

He will still convert his chances in the box, and he'll still obviously convert penalties, but what else would he offer the team at 37-38? Leadership and Experience maybe but is that worth his current wages at that age?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Realistically I think Ronaldo has one or two more seasons in Europe yes, do you honestly believe Ronaldo will still be in Europe at 37-8 years old playing as much as he does now?

Giggs made it to 39-40 but he wasn't playing as often as he used to, for a player like Ronaldo at that age he won't be moving around as much in games not as much as he used to if he wants to play a lot of games, so sacrifices will be need to made in other areas of the field.

If Ronaldo is still playing in Europe when he turns 38 I'd be very surprised, at 37 I can see him moving to the MLS.

Ibrahimovic is obviously the only player I can think of thats playing at 38, but I just can't see Ronaldo being at Juventus that long, if Juventus keep him fair play to them, but his wages at some point don't match his output and he would have to take a pay-cut.

Ronaldo is one of the greatest players to grace the game, but I can't see him being at the top top level in 2 seasons from now.

He will still convert his chances in the box, and he'll still obviously convert penalties, but what else would he offer the team at 37-38? Leadership and Experience maybe but is that worth his current wages at that age?
Based on the only evidence we have so far because thinking future is estimating and assuming he will still be in Europe passed next season.

He is en route to having 50 goals in all comps this season.

He will be banging in 25-30 goals a season until he's 37 at the very least and then he will go to MLS or Sporting and bang another 20-25.

We have to take in mind that there has never been a player in history like Ronaldo in terms of longevity. 35 and close to 50 goals? Thats unfathomable.

United58

Holy shit just realised he's a single goal away from 100 at international level! I know there's a lot of fodder on that scene, but that's still incredibly impressive - just 10 away from the all time record too!

MrEleson

Yeah but we have to bear in mind that 35 for Ronaldo is probably like 28-30 for everyone else. His movement on the pitch doesn't resemble that of someone that is 35.
If he's scoring at a rate that is better than almost every other player in Europe in league play and his physical condition is still as good as it is right now, I don't really see why he would be in the MLS in less than 2 years? Something would need to change dramatically for that to be the case. Bear in mind, even some people that support him on here predicted 2 years ago that he probably wouldn't be able to maintain his level till 2020...yet here we are. People have been predicting his demise or substantial decline for some years now but he somehow keeps on going. I really wouldn't be surprised at all if he's still in Europe at 37-38. I mean, you may be right as anything can happen but I feel he can maintain his level somewhat, especially if Juve can properly invest in their team to surround him with more quality.

The Giggs comparison isn't adept either as Ronaldo is in better shape than Giggs was even as a 28-30 year old never mind when he was well into his 30s.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think he'll follow similar path to Zlatan, maybe without the MLS part. He's that good.
Still capable of being a star wherever He plays.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
20 goals and 5 assists in 40 matches this season without penalties, yet they'll still be Ronaldo fans claiming that he should be winning the ballon d'or or that he has been close to the best in the world this season.
Who said so?
Also, why discount his penalty? Do you discount penalty goals for everyone else too? Or just Ronaldo? How about Bruno for us? His penalty doesn’t count too? Or do you personally have your own interpretation of league table to discount all the penalty scored?

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Ronaldo was almost as appalling as his haircut today. Two clinically taken penalties but otherwise ineffective. Age has certainly caught up with him this season. He had one decent chance that he made a hash of, otherwise didn’t do anything. Great player, who’s had a great career, but can’t fathom the calls to “bring him home”.

And seriously what’s been up with his hair in Serie A? First the atrocious top knot, then whatever this is. He looks like a bigger muppet every time I see him. Early midlife crisis?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Ronaldo was almost as appalling as his haircut today. Two clinically taken penalties but otherwise ineffective. Age has certainly caught up with him this season. He had one decent chance that he made a hash of, otherwise didn’t do anything. Great player, who’s had a great career, but can’t fathom the calls to “bring him home”.

And seriously what’s been up with his hair in Serie A? First the atrocious top knot, then whatever this is. He looks like a bigger muppet every time I see him. Early midlife crisis?
What the hell?

He was pretty quiet but was still the best Juve player on the pitch (which wasn't difficult) and didn't make a hash of any chances. Appalling?

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite

He'd be the best player on our team and the league if he came.

What's up with his hair? Really? Don't think anything is wrong with his hair.. he could get any female in the world so I don't think there's much wrong.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
28 league goals in 28 league games and 32 in all competitions domestically and somehow he's on his way to playing in the MLS?:lol: He's only 6 goals behind Lewandowski (who's top goalscorer in all of Europe's top 5 leagues) despite playing alongside the weakest set of players he's had since 2003. He's nowhere near done. If anything, his team is holding him back massively.
If 32 goals makes him close to retirement, United strikers should just pack up and leave.

RUCK4444

If 32 goals makes him close to retirement, United strikers should just pack up and leave.
I know, people constantly talk like he’s semi-retired but his numbers are incredible.

I would take him back in an instant but I’m biased as I worship the guy.

Imagine him finishing his career returning to United to win the PL and knock the scousers back off their perch. God I think thats the only thing he could do to make me love the guy even more.:D

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In fact only Lewandowski has better stats than him this season. If it makes him close to retirement, everyone else except Lewandowski should hang up their boots too.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I know, people constantly talk like he’s semi-retired but his numbers are incredible.

I would take him back in an instant but I’m biased as I worship the guy.

Imagine him finishing his career returning to United to win the PL and knock the scousers back off their perch. God I think thats the only thing he could do to make me love the guy even more.:D
The man is still fit like a bull. He's still got that insane acceleration, and a beast on the air also. I honestly agreed with you. If thinking short term, we shouldn't bother to buy Sancho and any other. Just get Ronaldo, and the title is ours. His insane salary gets you a title. And it's not like if we buy other players, they don't get paid in wages.

Even our drosses wages are more than enough to compensate, with the like of Sanchez, Rojo, Smalling, Baily, Jones, Lingard, and Andreas.

MrEleson

At this point, United would probably provide and give him far better service than Juve currently do. I know people will talk about the pace of the premier league, but if you look past the numerical age of 35, there are plenty of players in worse shape than him succeeding in the league. Danny Ings who is certainly no Ronaldo is currently one of the top scorers in the league playing for Southampton. Vardy at 33 is competing for the golden boot.

I honestly don’t think it would be much of a feat for him to come to United and win the golden boot. The last golden boot winners have won from scoring just 22 league goals. It would be a medium effort for him.

fps

Ronaldo challenged and proved himself in different systems, at different clubs in different counties.

Messi has been spoonfed the Barca system and enjoys being comfortable in the only stage he has ever done well in.
Looking at Messi’s career and coming to this as an ultimate conclusion is literally insane. It’s the person who has a narrative in their head that they try to make everything fit.

fps

Is it really creative though? Most discussion points seem to be boiling down to Messi staying in one league and Ronaldo doing otherwise. Which has been done to death in so many threads.
There is nothing creative in here, just a load of unpleasant mud slinging at two of the all-time legends of the game.

Giggsyking

Who cares if he scores or not, he left the club 11 years ago ffs, and when he scores against us he celebrates his goals.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
He scored his goal number 750 in a competitive match yesterday.

He should be able to overtake Pelè and Romario already in 2020 and then reach the top of the list at the EURO2021 (scored 43 goals so far this season for Portugal and Juventus)..
Then if were him I'd go to the MLS after WC2022 at 37 y.o., same age as Ibrahimovic.

TrustInOle

He should be able to overtake Pelè and Romario already in 2020 and then reach the top of the list at the EURO2021 (scored 43 goals so far this season for Portugal and Juventus)..
Then if were him I'd go to the MLS after WC2022 at 37 y.o., same age as Ibrahimovic.
He definatley has his sights set on that! Crazy to think it's actually achievable for him :eek:

Think we will have a Messi and Ronaldo top 2 by the time they hang it up?

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
11 Serie A penalties this season.

That's ridiculous, almost embarrassing.

Immobile has also had a lot of penalties, is it a Serie A thing to hand out penalties for pretty much anything?

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
11 Serie A penalties this season.

That's ridiculous, almost embarrassing.

Immobile has also had a lot of penalties, is it a Serie A thing to hand out penalties for pretty much anything?
Pretty much. Their handball rule to penalties is very straightforward. Basically if it hits your hand it's automatically a penalty.

United have had 13 penalties this season too (most in the league) which isn't embarrassing is it?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Pretty much. Their handball rule to penalties is very straightforward. Basically if it hits your hand it's automatically a penalty.

United have had 13 penalties this season too (most in the league) which isn't embarrassing is it?
It wasn't as embarrassing I guess as we miss quite a few penalties with Pogba, Rashford, Martial in the early season, we were so shite at it so people don't find it as embarrassing when we scored.

But maybe next season when Bruno takes and coverts all our penalty, it would be embarrassing again.

Last edited:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

I dont think those numbers are quite accurate.
Messi scored his 700th goal like a week ago, and Ronaldo is at 730 or so.

Well, maybe they are accurate, but count games that other statistics doesnt show?

SportingCP96

Supports
Who cares if he scores or not, he left the club 11 years ago ffs, and when he scores against us he celebrates his goals.
He looked at his abs, wow what a disrespect.

The man knocked you guys out of the CL under Jose and scored in both legs and apologized.

God forbid he scored an insane goal to say the least and looks at his abs.

SportingCP96

Supports
He definatley has his sights set on that! Crazy to think it's actually achievable for him :eek:

Think we will have a Messi and Ronaldo top 2 by the time they hang it up?
Ronaldo and Messi will more then likely be the top 2 on that list.

They are both going to hold every major record in the sport. It's insane.

There are ZERO players in history that I would take over Ronaldo and Messi at the absolute peak of their powers. Maradona falls right behind them and then Fat Ronaldo under Maradona and then Pele at 5.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I dont think those numbers are quite accurate.
Messi scored his 700th goal like a week ago, and Ronaldo is at 730 or so.

Well, maybe they are accurate, but count games that other statistics doesnt show?
The list counts all the competitive games, including U-21 or lower division etc. As long as its official games, it will all counted. But the same also applies to every other players in the list, including Pele, Romario, Puskas, Muller and Bican etc.

TrustInOle

Ronaldo and Messi will more then likely be the top 2 on that list.

They are both going to hold every major record in the sport. It's insane.

There are ZERO players in history that I would take over Ronaldo and Messi at the absolute peak of their powers. Maradona falls right behind them and then Fat Ronaldo under Maradona and then Pele at 5.
Can not really argue there. The last 10-15 years have been an absolute joy to watch these two lock horns and push each other.

Do you think one could have became who he is if not for the other? They always just seemed to push eachother boundaries in Spain for a good 7-8 years.

Cloud7

The numbers him and Messi have put up truly are something else. As a football fan I really do feel blessed to have been around to watch both of them in their prime. I don't think we'll be seeing anything like this for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.