Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He couldn't win the CL with Juventus, i think that was what he wanted most and to put it on paper. He won it at United and Madrid, maybe he will just try it one more year in Italy but he doesn't seem enthusiastic to play for Pirlo anymore
Yeh that’s the only thing he has been missing at Juventus, not that it’s significant as he has won it 5 times already, and more than anyone. But trophy wise he did win everything in top 3 country and also Europe. I’d argue the only trophy he has been missing is the WC.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Can't believe Ronaldo got benched in a must win game...and Juve won comfortably. His decision to play in Italy was a terrible terrible move. He' still good enough to play for a CL winning team. He completely wasted his last two years in Serie A.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Can't believe Ronaldo got benched in a must win game...and Juve won comfortably. His decision to play in Italy was a terrible terrible move. He' still good enough to play for a CL winning team. He completely wasted his last two years in Serie A.
I'm questioning wether or not anyone in Juventus actually likes Ronaldo. Lots of rumblings of teammates flat out not liking him, don't view him as a leader, get angry at special treatments, etc. Hard to say if any of those rumours have any substance to them, but I don't see any of his teammates go out of his way to smash that like button on social media, which seems to be the new Bro Confirmed function of the digital age.

Think it's time for CR7 to come home to Manchester.

gorky_utd

Would love him back next year when Cavani leaves. This guy can still play at the highest level for next 3 years

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What I love about Ronaldo is that -

even though he says he doesn’t aim to achieve records and achievements (that it chases him); he so so clearly does.

Its what makes me view him as the GOAT. Goes and aims to dominate every league and every team he has played in - from national team to Juventus to Real Madrid to United and possibly even more in the future.

Watching him do the same old thing for the same old team and not winning titles in his 30’s would have been boring & disappointing in a league he should be thouroughly experienced in - yet Ronaldo takes it a step further and tries to find a different league to adapt to different tactics, teams and play styles.

I hope he gets one last chance for Juventus under a better suited manager like Zidane at Juventus but if not then I look forward to him achieving some trophies and records at PSG or a German team at the age of nearly 40:eek::drool: Just pure joy of what the mental state of a human mind can achieve and not just the pure ability to kick a ball.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
No chance for it to happen, but imagine him at Bayern
When people write stuff like that they conveniently ignore that Ronaldo's defensive effort would probably be a deal breaker for top teams that rely on a cohesive pressing effort. Not to mention that Lewandowski seems to be the better player these days anyway.

UncleBob

When people write stuff like that they conveniently ignore that Ronaldo's defensive effort would probably be a deal breaker for top teams that rely on a cohesive pressing effort. Not to mention that Lewandowski seems to be the better player these days anyway.
Lewandowski is a fantastic striker, but i reckon Ronaldo in that Bayern team would set scoring records pretty much instantly.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Lewandowski is a fantastic striker, but i reckon Ronaldo in that Bayern team would set scoring records pretty much instantly.
xG stats suggest otherwise. Not to mention - again - that there are more dimensions to a striker than goal scoring.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If we managed to move De Gea we could probably afford Ronaldo
Ronaldo is on €31m net. Dave's salary isn't in the same stratosphere.
I'm questioning wether or not anyone in Juventus actually likes Ronaldo. Lots of rumblings of teammates flat out not liking him, don't view him as a leader, get angry at special treatments, etc. Hard to say if any of those rumours have any substance to them, but I don't see any of his teammates go out of his way to smash that like button on social media, which seems to be the new Bro Confirmed function of the digital age.

Think it's time for CR7 to come home to Manchester.
This is what you get when you bring a player on significantly higher wages than the rest and the team does not achieve more. Same thing happened here with Sanchez.
His record with Juve is great but I can't see how anyone views this deal as a success.
His Instagram post might also rub off on his teammates the wrong way.

youmeletsfly

I wouldn't want him back for various reasons even though he was my favorite player:
- does feck all for 75% of a game, 100% if he doesn't score
- would cost a fortune in wages
- would open the taps for others to request obscene wages
- would come with a bit of drama as he's a bit of a whiner
- great player and all that, but year after year he seems to become even more of a prick

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
imagine the free space in that Bundesliga with Ronaldo trying to poach at every goal.

UncleBob

xG stats suggest otherwise. Not to mention - again - that there are more dimensions to a striker than goal scoring.
Their xG stats are almost identical, Ronaldo even has a slightly higher xA. One of them have been playing in a league wither higher xG, and where Bayern has won the league 9 years in a row without any competition....

I have fairly little doubt that Ronaldo, even now, would destroy the Bundesliga if he walked in an replaced Lewandowski.

KeanoMagicHat

Current Lewandowski is better than 36-year-old Ronaldo across the board, Ronaldo 4 years ago, perhaps, but it's important to put some respect on Lewandowski's name, he scored 41 goals in 29 games. That's 1.4 goals per game in the league. Even in Ronaldo's peak, the best he ever did was 1.37 goals per game in 2014-15 La Liga.

UncleBob

Current Lewandowski is better than 36-year-old Ronaldo across the board, Ronaldo 4 years ago, perhaps, but it's important to put some respect on Lewandowski's name, he scored 41 goals in 29 games. That's 1.4 goals per game in the league. Even in Ronaldo's peak, the best he ever did was 1.37 goals per game in 2014-15 La Liga.
Because the Bundesliga is close to Spain in terms of quality?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I thought this was worthy of a post here because it's not every time he speaks this openly about what goes on in his mind. Of course, he most likely didn't write that specific text because English and all, but you get the drift.

Could be a hint that he's done in Italy or could just be a career look back/reflective post

I suspect as was the case last summer if someone were to offer to take on Ronaldo Juve would let him go if not he'll see out his contract

KeanoMagicHat

Because the Bundesliga is close to Spain in terms of quality?
Outside the top few it is, plus La Liga in the early 2010s was one of the most lopsided top leagues ever in the way Real and Barca were winning games. 89 and 85 goal difference in 2011-12 they finished with, even treble-winning Bayern in 2012-13 could only get to 80 goal difference.

UncleBob

if you exclude bayern and the top 3 in spain its the same level, yes.
Top 6 is closer to the truth.

Outside the top few it is, plus La Liga in the early 2010s was one of the most lopsided top leagues ever in the way Real and Barca were winning games. 89 and 85 goal difference in 2011-12 they finished with, even treble-winning Bayern in 2012-13 could only get to 80 goal difference.
The top few is easily 6+ teams.

In terms of goals, Bundesliga consistently averages around 0,5 goals more per match than La Liga. Last season, it was 2,48 per match vs 3,21 in Germany.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In terms of winning another CL it’s a waste. In terms of winning trophies and setting records, he could claim himself winning 5 trophies and few individual honours there while breaking/setting several records along the way, so it isn’t too bad.

romufc

I wouldn't want him back for various reasons even though he was my favorite player:
- does feck all for 75% of a game, 100% if he doesn't score
- would cost a fortune in wages
- would open the taps for others to request obscene wages
- would come with a bit of drama as he's a bit of a whiner
- great player and all that, but year after year he seems to become even more of a prick
Agreed.

I love CR7 but he chose to leave and he was became one of the best players ever.

We have moved into a different direction, our team is alot more together, signing someone like Ronaldo might upset the team spirit.

He won't press, if he doesn't get a pass or something he will throw his hands in the air, not something we want at this stage of our squad development.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Agreed.

I love CR7 but he chose to leave and he was became one of the best players ever.

We have moved into a different direction, our team is alot more together, signing someone like Ronaldo might upset the team spirit.

He won't press, if he doesn't get a pass or something he will throw his hands in the air, not something we want at this stage of our squad development.
The pressing could be an issue, I will give you that but he does have great movement from an attacking sense.

The whole “ego will upset the dressing room” business I’m not having though. The guy hasn’t won just about every team trophy going, multiple times by being completely unaware of team work and team harmony. He will demand more for every player around him and often that means he gets upset because he made the run, he found the space and he never received the pass but that’s no different to what we have with Bruno who will moan and gesticulate and generally throw his toys out the pram if he spots the space, makes the pass and there is nobody there making the run.

Great players have great standards and despite his age I am sure he could raise the level of those around him. I’m just not sure it would be enough to surpass City, especially if they signed Kane.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Their xG stats are almost identical, Ronaldo even has a slightly higher xA. One of them have been playing in a league wither higher xG, and where Bayern has won the league 9 years in a row without any competition....

I have fairly little doubt that Ronaldo, even now, would destroy the Bundesliga if he walked in an replaced Lewandowski.
Per 90:
Lewandowski turned 0.86 npxG into 1.05 npG
Ronaldo turned 0.60 npxG into 0.63 npG

I don't think anyone would suggest Ronaldo wouldn't score lots of goals, but I don't see anything to support the notion that he would do it on Lewandowski's current level.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He’s noting that he’s conquered all there is to conquer in Italy...is this some sort of farewell message to Juventus?
Between this and "too tired to play", pretty obvious

Not that juventus are unhappy with it either, i don't think...

romufc

The pressing could be an issue, I will give you that but he does have great movement from an attacking sense.

The whole “ego will upset the dressing room” business I’m not having though. The guy hasn’t won just about every team trophy going, multiple times by being completely unaware of team work and team harmony. He will demand more for every player around him and often that means he gets upset because he made the run, he found the space and he never received the pass but that’s no different to what we have with Bruno who will moan and gesticulate and generally throw his toys out the pram if he spots the space, makes the pass and there is nobody there making the run.

Great players have great standards and despite his age I am sure he could raise the level of those around him. I’m just not sure it would be enough to surpass City, especially if they signed Kane.
I get the point where he will lift a few players games but that doesn't mean he will still perform at the level we need him to.

He offers very little and our players struggle to find the top man. We need to address alot more problems in the squad.

Gonçalo Motta

Right now I would take Lewa over Ronaldo but tbf we are comparing one of the best strikers of this generation playing at his peak vs one of the greats of all time playing way past his prime and the current gap between them is somewhat small.

I reckon prime Ronaldo would beat the Bundesliga goal record for fun in a bad season but not sure if the current 36y old Ronaldo would outscore Lewa there.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Lewandowski is flat out the better player but more importantly he's a different player, and bayern are a near perfect machine. Swapping lewandowski for a player with a significantly different skillset makes no sense

Icardi-Cristiano swap deal incoming btw, you heard it here first

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I have huge respect for Lewandoski over past 2 season, thought he is currently best player in the world too. But to be fair I wouldn’t count goals stats in BL equal to goals scored in Spain or England. One recent example is Werner, 28 goals in BL last season vs 6 goals in PL this season, in similar amount of games.

Idxomer

Juve will win the league again if leaves, even with Pirlo staying as manager.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I thought this was worthy of a post here because it's not every time he speaks this openly about what goes on in his mind. Of course, he most likely didn't write that specific text because English and all, but you get the drift.

I have a lot of respect for CR, but this is why he’ll never be the GOAT in my view. It’s clear that he sees it as some kind of exercise in box ticking (he’s very similar to Mourinho in that sense); I’ve done it in this country (tick) and that country (tick), I’ve won this trophy (tick) and that trophy (tick), I’ve won this individual award (tick) and that individual award (tick), therefore I’m the best ever, right? Sorry no, it doesn’t work like that.

All great achievements of course, but where’s the magic? For me, I watch someone play and I say ‘that’s the best player I’ve ever seen’. It’s a feeling you get from watching someone play, not an exercise in resume reading. I was fortunate enough to see Maradona play. He has about a third of the trophies CR does and yet I’d still say Diego was a better player, great as Cristiano is.

redshaw

Does sound like he's wrapping up his time in Italy and even drawing a line under the others as well. Perhaps off to France, would be a major PR move to have Neymar, Ronaldo and Mbappe.

Alfie092

If he leaves, I see him either going to PSG or America.

We would probably be the 3rd most likely destination for him but I'm not sure if I want him back or not. For nostalgia reasons I would but I know it doesn't make sense in terms of what we are building going forward and also financially. If signing Ronaldo still allowed us to buy the likes of Sancho, a top quality DM and a top quality CB then I am all for it.

However, if it stops us from getting the likes of Sancho and strengthening in other key positions (which I think it may) then it's a no for me.

youmeletsfly

If he leaves, I see him either going to PSG or America.

We would probably be the 3rd most likely destination for him but I'm not sure if I want him back or not. For nostalgia reasons I would but I know it doesn't make sense in terms of what we are building going forward and also financially. If signing Ronaldo still allowed us to buy the likes of Sancho, a top quality DM and a top quality CB then I am all for it.

However, if it stops us from getting the likes of Sancho and strengthening in other key positions (which I think it may) then it's a no for me.
I don't think he'd be interested in coming back to the EPL, league is too fast for him. He'd go to PSG or somewhere easy to bag 30 a season.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Lewandowski is flat out the better player but more importantly he's a different player, and bayern are a near perfect machine. Swapping lewandowski for a player with a significantly different skillset makes no sense

Icardi-Cristiano swap deal incoming btw, you heard it here first
Considering that Lewandowski just broke Gerd Müllers bundesliga record it would be pretty dim of Bayern to try and replace him with a 36 year old Ronaldo. Unless they could play together.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

No they are not, Lewandowsi has overperformed his xG stats by a lot this season.

Ronaldo just isnt as good of a goalscorer as Lewandowsi is now, no shame admitting it.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Juve will win the league again if leaves, even with Pirlo staying as manager.
I really fail to see how Ronaldo is this massive problem(besides his wages) as so many wants to believe these days.

They won Serie A just fine with him the last 2 years, then a rookie coach comes in and they dont win it, yet its all on Ronaldo?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I really fail to see how Ronaldo is this massive problem(besides his wages) as so many wants to believe these days.

They won Serie A just fine with him the last 2 years, then a rookie coach comes in and they dont win it, yet its all on Ronaldo?
Fair point, CR did his job. Pirlo may just be another guy that people assume is going to be a good coach because he was a great player. Maybe he will be, but he hasn’t started well at all.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

I dont watch Juventus much at all either, so I don't what his overall game is like these days at all however I'm not sure why he's not worth the punt if we can afford his wages. However I guess with his age there is the question when he will decline to the point where he is not worth his wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.