Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

wr8_utd

:'(
Umm no what I will agree on and as do most as you pointed out is Messi is the more talented of the two. Anyone can see that and I am not disputing that but Ronaldo is the better player and if you compare there Careers left right and center it tells you that.

If my life was on the line and I have to pick Ronaldo or Messi to lead my team I am picking Ronaldo every single day of the week and twice on Sunday. The same reason many will pick MJ over Lebrun even though it is very arguable that LeBron is the more talented player.

Ronaldo will still be relevant at 36 and 37 playing high level competitive football. By 35 I don’t think we can say the same about Messi.
Don't want to wade into the midst of a Ronaldo vs Messi debate but, a lot of people said the same about Nadal back in the day that he'd not be performing at a good level at 33 and yet, here he is, having won 2 Slams this year.

I don't expect Messi to be as good physically as Ronaldo either, but you just never know. Great players find a way to adapt to changing circumstances.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
That’s not what I took from the quote to be honest. It more implies that they are different types of players, rather than saying Ronaldo is the better of the two.
Thats how I interpreted it but we can agree to disagree.

SportingCP96

Supports
Don't want to wade into the midst of a Ronaldo vs Messi debate but, a lot of people said the same about Nadal back in the day that he'd not be performing at a good level at 33 and yet, here he is, having won 2 Slams this year.

I don't expect Messi to be as good physically as Ronaldo either, but you just never know. Great players find a way to adapt to changing circumstances.
I agree completely it is possible but I just dont see the same mental drive In him to adapt and change as he gets older. He will end up in MLS or back in Argentina before Ronaldo does because he wants to stay in the top of football as long as he thinks he could.

Just my opinion obviously.

wr8_utd

:'(
I agree completely it is possible but I just dont see the same mental drive In him to adapt and change as he gets older. He will end up in MLS or back in Argentina before Ronaldo does because he wants to stay in the top of football as long as he thinks he could.

Just my opinion obviously.
Fair enough. I don't think Messi will play at the highest level for as long as Ronaldo does but I think he's still got years within him to move even deeper into midfield and play from there. I think as long as Ronaldo is around, he'll also have the motivation to keep going.

SportingCP96

Supports
Fair enough. I don't think Messi will play at the highest level for as long as Ronaldo does but I think he's still got years within him to move even deeper into midfield and play from there. I think as long as Ronaldo is around, he'll also have the motivation to keep going.
I think that is more true for Ronaldo. Almost as if he needs Messi to keep going because it drives him (granted it drives Messi too).

I feel Ronaldo is even so petty that he would not retire before Messi does:lol:

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I don't know how to do the quote thing you do so that's why I number it:houllier::lol: anyways.
It's a simple copying and pasting exercise. And I'm a merchant for that apparently. :rolleyes:

1. Tom Brady is the GOAT in his respective sport but there many many more talented quarterbacks but that does not change anyones answer. Ronaldo is better at his respective sport than Brady is in his. Does that make sense? it made sense in my head :yawn:
Yeah, it does. I'm referring to the more universal sports though.

The skillsets for a sport like American Football, or rugby say, is far more specific to a particular position and physique.

2. They do for what they mean to the game as they both impacted it in their own way. But Messi and Ronaldo have just as strong cases.
Ronaldo is just too talent-deficient to have strong case to be number one. And I'd be quite confident in suggesting that that's the majority view.

3. I agree with your point to an extent but its not a wrong "answer or opinion" (REGARDING my point #3).
Ok, fair enough.

SportingCP96

Supports
It's a copying and pasting exercise. And I'm a merchant for that apparently. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it does. I'm referring to the more universal sports though.

The skillsets for a sport like American Football, or rugby say, is far more specific to a particular position and physique.

Ronaldo is just too talent-deficient to have strong case to be number one. And I'd be quite confident in suggesting that that's the majority view.

Ok, fair enough.
1. Would basketball count? as an example to use?

2. What he lacks in talent (which he has plenty of to be fair, but I get what you mean Messi and Maradona are more talented/naturally gifted) he makes up in his mental drive along with other intangibles. Think Tom Brady in this sense. Hence why Maradona was finished by 30. If we want to rate who is better based on just talent then I 100% agree with you that he is not #1. Hell if we go on talent there were many who said and say Ricardo Quaresma was and Is more naturally gifted to play football, he was born to play football. That though is not the determining factor and thats why the intangible things that you can not see are just as important when determining greatness IMO. That "thing" or that "X factor" if you will. Some players have it and some don't.

JustABall

Ronaldo is a tosser, but I've learned to respect him more in recent years. His drive to be the best and his dedication to maintaining his peak fitness are very impressive. Unrivalled.

He's only a few goals shy of reaching 700 career goals in the modern era of football, which in itself guarantees him a place at the GOAT table (top 5).

I'd still take Messi over him, as he's better suited to the way I like to play football and watch it. But nobody can doubt Ronaldo's efficiency and effectiveness. He's come a long way from the step over merchant who first rocked up to Old Trafford at 18.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
1. Would basketball count? as an example to use?
Sporting wise yeah but then it's popularity is very region specific, isn't it?

2. What he lacks in talent (which he has plenty of to be fair, but I get what you mean Messi and Maradona are more talented/naturally gifted) he makes up in his mental drive along with other intangibles. Think Tom Brady in this sense. Hence why Maradona was finished by 30. If we want to rate who is better based on just talent then I 100% agree with you that he is not #1. Hell if we go on talent there were many who said and say Ricardo Quaresma was and Is more naturally gifted to play football, he was born to play football. That though is not the determining factor and thats why the intangible things that you can not see are just as important when determining greatness IMO. That "thing" or that "X factor" if you will. Some players have it and some don't.
His talent is definitely at a very high level and I'd never state otherwise. And I agree that the mental drive you mention and how he has adapted his game over the years does indeed elevate him above other players who possessed more natural ability.

I don't really like contributing to these discussions tbh because it may come across to some that I either don't like him or don't rate him which simply isn't the case. It's just that, as great as Ronaldo undoubtedly is, I've never thought to myself...I'm watching the greatest player who ever lived here, and I've watched the majority of his career practically.

SportingCP96

Supports
Sporting wise yeah but then it's popularity is very region specific, isn't it?

His talent is definitely at a very high level and I'd never state otherwise. And I agree that the mental drive you mention and how he has adapted his game over the years does indeed elevate him above other players who possessed more natural ability.

I don't really like contributing to these discussions tbh because it may come across to some that I either don't like him or don't rate him which simply isn't the case. It's just that, as great as Ronaldo undoubtedly is, I've never thought to myself...I'm watching the greatest player who ever lived here, and I've watched the majority of his career practically.
1. It is but I still think a case can be made for it,

2. I feel you 100% I have stated before and will do it again. I enjoy watching Messi play (who doesn't?) and have nothing but respect to who in my opinion is one of the greatest of all time yet some here might have the perception that I don't like him which is not the case I just rate CR7 higher. I also partake in these conversations more then I should, I have stayed away from the Ronaldo V Messi thread for a long wile now and thank goodness for that:lol: but the reason I even debate this sort of thing is mostly do to the disrespect or downplaying of Ronaldo that is so constantly done on here. One guy even claimed he was closer to Salah and Neymar then Messi:eek::houllier: I guess I get baited very easily but still :nono:

When it comes to this debate TBH I think it comes down to personal preference and there is no wrong answer. For example you think Messi is better and I think Ronaldo is better and thats completely fine there can be a case made for one or the other and rightfully so. Where this gets stupid is when you read absurd or just outright stupid comments downplaying or disrespecting the other player just because you like one more.

I think everyone as a football fan should be privileged to see two of the GOATS in the same era.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
2. I feel you 100% I have stated before and will do it again. I enjoy watching Messi play (who doesn't?) and have nothing but respect to who in my opinion is one of the greatest of all time yet some here might have the perception that I don't like him which is not the case I just rate CR7 higher. I also partake in these conversations more then I should, I have stayed away from the Ronaldo V Messi thread for a long wile now and thank goodness for that:lol: but the reason I even debate this sort of thing is mostly do to the disrespect or downplaying of Ronaldo that is so constantly done on here. One guy even claimed he was closer to Salah and Neymar then Messi:eek::houllier: I guess I get baited very easily but still :nono:
People do downplay Ronaldo too much. The reason for it in my view is simply because the repeated claim that he's one of the greatest, or more to the point - thee greatest, comes into conflict with the skillset and talent that most fans instinctively feel the holder of such an accolade should possess. And Ronaldo I'm afraid to say doesn't.

When it comes to this debate TBH I think it comes down to personal preference and there is no wrong answer. For example you think Messi is better and I think Ronaldo is better and thats completely fine there can be a case made for one or the other and rightfully so. Where this gets stupid is when you read absurd or just outright stupid comments downplaying or disrespecting the other player just because you like one more.

I think everyone as a football fan should be privileged to see two of the GOATS in the same era.
I think Messi is probably the best player ever but I don't claim that he's the greatest. The two terms aren't synonyms, at least for me.

SportingCP96

Supports
People do downplay Ronaldo too much. The reason for it in my view is simply because the repeated claim that he's one of the greatest, or more to the point - thee greatest, comes into conflict with the skillset and talent that most fans instinctively feel the holder of such an accolade should possess. And Ronaldo I'm afraid to say doesn't.

I think Messi is probably the best player ever but I don't claim that he's the greatest. The two terms aren't synonyms, at least for me.
Subjective and debatable :devil: [/QUOTE said:
Messi is probably the best player ever but I don't claim that he's the greatest. The two terms aren't synonyms, at least for me.
Out of curiosity then who is the greatest player ever to you?

Follow up question, if you think Messi is better than Ronaldo then who do you think is greater out of the two?
EDIT: Butchered the whole quote thing :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I don't get this. We keep hearing that the reason he's not doing that well at Juve is because the Juve team is poor and doesn't create enough chances and that's why he wasn't even in the Top 3 scorers in Italy last year. So how exactly, would Ronaldo, score hat tricks in every game for teams like Millwall, QPR etc when they are infinitely worse teams than Juventus? It seems a bit contradictory, no?

Why is that the case? The seasons before Ronaldo came in :

Now, the team has been more or less the same in 2016-17 and 2017-18 and then they went and added Ronaldo to that squad. Why is it surprising that Ronaldo got 20 goals in that league in that team when it's happened for their strikers in both the previous seasons? Its a league in which Quaglieriella got some 26 goals last season in a far inferior team so, given how good Ronaldo still is, there really isn't anything surprising at all about Ronaldo getting to 20 goals.

I don't rate Allegri as a great coach either but to blame this on Juve being poor or not creative isn't right when the season before Ronaldo came in, they scored 16 more goals in the League than they did with him. The failure to integrate Dybala into the team instead of cr hesing to Ronaldo and hoping for the best obviously hasn't helped either but this was a Juve team that was scoring at a decent level and had goals spread out.
I don't get it either Ronaldo has played for Man utd, Real Madrid and Juventus. He's hardly proven he can do it for millwall. I suppose he's pretty good for portugal.

Tostao_80

https://mobile.twitter.com/football__tweet/status/1118428381706690560?lang=en

Case closed. When has Alex Fergusson ever claimed Cristiano to be the best ever at any point?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...ssi-is-better-than-maradona-20190127.amp.html

He claims hes even better than Diego.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gi...si-while-sat-near-him-in-2012-was-perfect?amp

Even as far back as 2012, he was putting Messi up there with Pele, Di Stefano and Cruyff.

Its quite clear the reverence he has for Leo.

So please, now show us all the quotes of Mr Ferguson speaking of Cristiano in the same vein. You won't find many, if any. He clearly thinks and probably always has thought that Leo is better.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think what Ronaldo lacks to a degree is that Pele, maradonna, Cryuff and Messi were all supreme dribblers and playmakers. Ronaldo is a good dribbler, but not up there with the very best and his passing is not up there with the very best. But apart from that he is of course extremely skilled technically overall.

Cal?

CR7 fan
https://mobile.twitter.com/football__tweet/status/1118428381706690560?lang=en

Case closed. When has Alex Fergusson ever claimed Cristiano to be the best ever at any point?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...ssi-is-better-than-maradona-20190127.amp.html

He claims hes even better than Diego.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.givemesport.com/1332198-what-sir-alex-ferguson-said-about-lionel-messi-while-sat-near-him-in-2012-was-perfect?amp

Even as far back as 2012, he was putting Messi up there with Pele, Di Stefano and Cruyff.

Its quite clear the reverence he has for Leo.

So please, now show us all the quotes of Mr Ferguson speaking of Cristiano in the same vein. You won't find many, if any. He clearly thinks and probably always has thought that Leo is better.
Seriously? Sir Alex has said Ronaldo is better than Messi on plenty of occasions.

Also, if you want to talk about Messi, go dig up that thread, stop derailing this one.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Messi fans are so insecure.

Tostao_80

Seriously? Sir Alex has said Ronaldo is better than Messi on plenty of occasions.

Also, if you want to talk about Messi, go dig up that thread, stop derailing this one.
Oh please. Sir Alex said that Cristiano was more versatile, and would adapt better in different set ups. He never at one point claimed Cristiano to be the greatest ever, as he has done with Messi. And, it was a fellow fanboi on here that brought Messi up, get it right.

SportingCP96

Supports
Oh please. Sir Alex said that Cristiano was more versatile, and would adapt better in different set ups. He never at one point claimed Cristiano to be the greatest ever, as he has done with Messi. And, it was a fellow fanboi on here that brought Messi up, get it right.
You practically live in this thread mate.

SportingCP96

Supports
Top Top lad. I just finished the interview and it was a great one at that. You can hear this guy talk all day long, The similarities between him MJ and Brady in terms of their mentality of always wanting to be number 1 and never number 2 is evident. The part about his father was moving and you can tell he is a great father and will be a great mentor and teacher for his eldest son along with all of his kids. Piers Morgan did a great job.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Top Top lad. I just finished the interview and it was a great one at that. You can hear this guy talk all day long, The similarities between him MJ and Brady in terms of their mentality of always wanting to be number 1 and never number 2 is evident. The part about his father was moving and you can tell he is a great father and will be a great mentor and teacher for his eldest son along with all of his kids. Piers Morgan did a great job.
What’s the general odour like in there? Are you finding it tough to breathe? And is there any room for you to move around?

I’m referring of course to Ronaldo’s arse.

VJ1762

What’s the general odour like in there? Are you finding it tough to breathe? And is there any room for you to move around?

Tbf, Portugal is a small country and Ronaldo is one of the top 5 players to have played this sport. So, it's natural that the Portuguese would be defensive whenever anyone says that there exists another guy playing at the same time who is better than him.

And the poster is a Sporting fan. And Ronaldo is a Sporting youth product after all, so obviously he is very proud.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't get it either Ronaldo has played for Man utd, Real Madrid and Juventus. He's hardly proven he can do it for millwall. I suppose he's pretty good for portugal.
Of course he will score less goals for Millwall than at Real Madrid. But I think argument being he will probably score more goals at Millwall than any other players if they all play at Millwall. He has done it at as many levels as any other players (3 different clubs in diffferent country and 1 national team), where he holds most scoring records out there, far more than anyone else.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Total nonsense. Ronaldo was one of the most talented player I’ve ever watched. Even George Best, one of the most talent player in history of football, felt honoured to be compared with him.

SportingCP96

Supports

So I cant enjoy a interview now? Jesus Christ you guys have a comment for everything ffs.

Rinnegan240

Total nonsense. Ronaldo was one of the most talented player I’ve ever watched. Even George Best, one of the most talent player in history of football, felt honoured to be compared with him.
When using the term "talent", most posters seem to mean close control dribbling ability which is an absolutely illogical standard to define a baseline for who a talented player is.

The ability to keep the ball close when dribbling is dependent on both technical ability AND physiology as players with a lower center of gravity find close control dribbling easier.

I wouldn't slant Ronaldo for this any sooner than I'll blame Lionel for being unable to power a header past a defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.