Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Jesus but I'd have to like Ronaldo a hell of a lot more than I do to put up with Piers Morgan for an hour.

Like about as much as I like my own kid. Maybe more.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
When using the term "talent", most posters seem to mean close control dribbling ability which is an absolutely illogical standard to define a baseline for who a talented player is.

The ability to keep the ball close when dribbling is dependent on both technical ability AND physiology as players with a lower center of gravity find close control dribbling easier.

I wouldn't slant Ronaldo for this any sooner than I'll blame Lionel for being unable to power a header past a defender.
Yes I don’t get why some people can only relate football talent to dribbling, but not everything else. There are over 30-40 other attributes which could be decisive in the game, but some people could only see one. Last time I check football is a competitive game, but some people only see it as a dribbling contest, which is a shame.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Total nonsense. Ronaldo was one of the most talented player I’ve ever watched. Even George Best, one of the most talent player in history of football, felt honoured to be compared with him.
When I say 'talent deficient' I mean relative to the other greats mentioned .

Last edited:

Rinnegan240

Yes I don’t get why some people can only relate football talent to dribbling, but not everything else. There are over 30-40 other attributes which could be decisive in the game, but some people could only see one. Last time I check football is a competitive game, but some people only see it as a dribbling contest, which is a shame.
Correct.

I daresay Ronaldo's gliding aerial maneuvers are much more impressive on a technical level than most mazy dribbling sequences out there as it's a tremendous feat of balance, projection, trajectory calculation and timing.

Make the jump 500 milliseconds late and the objective is defeated while when dribbling with the ball you may get away with making a mistimed turn.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very good interview, the part where his father's interview was played was very touching. His mentality is just unbelievable, amazing drive to win and improve.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Very good interview, the part where his father's interview was played was very touching. His mentality is just unbelievable, amazing drive to win and improve.
I have mentioned it before but he said it himself, his mentality is his biggest asset it’s what makes him so great. He needs to be the one with the last shot the biggest chance all the pressure etc, he lives off of that and thrives on it. He looks for those pressure moments and the big game moments others shy away from it, its admirable to say the least.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I have mentioned it before but he said it himself, his mentality is his biggest asset it’s what makes him so great. He needs to be the one with the last shot the biggest chance all the pressure etc, he lives off of that and thrives on it. He looks for those pressure moments and the big game moments others shy away from it, its admirable to say the least.
Yeah, in this interview also he said his mentality is his strongest attribute/part of the game.

It was very good interview, instead of just on football, it was on his struggles and how it was during his younger days.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Yeah, in this interview also he said his mentality is his strongest attribute/part of the game.

It was very good interview, instead of just on football, it was on his struggles and how it was during his younger days.
Ya I agree I think Piers Morgan did a great job with the interview.

Suedesi

Good interview, Ronaldo is a top bloke. Mad levels of confidence and assuredness. I also liked how he dressed up for New Year's Eve party just to get some privacy. I guess none's life is absolutely perfect.

Tostao_80

When I say talent deficient I mean relative to the other greats mentioned .
You're right. At no point in his career have you heard many people say they are witnessing the greatest player the world has ever seen (after witnessing Leo at his absolute best, how could they do so objectively). Pele had that, Diego had that, and Messi had that.
Even as early as 2012, Cristiano's old manager Sir Alex was putting Leo up there with Diego and Pele. Then of course in 2018, he goes a step further and claims Leo to be the best ever
Relative to that trio, people en masse haven't had the same reaction to Cristiano. One of the greatest, sure, but the very best, a level no one has ever touched on a football pitch, no. That natural ability and magic that the those at the echelon had? No. You could even argue Dinho was more naturally gifted and talented. Same with Ronaldo Luiz Nazario.
Despite this, you do have to admire his hard work and will (arguably unparalleled. Leo could learn a thing or two here) to drag himself to close to that level.
He is now, and ultimately will be seen generally as below those 3 in the grand scheme of things. Is that really bad, to be considered one of the best 4/5 players in history? It's an amazing accomplishment, and he will set records that will stand for yonks. Let's not sniff at that.
A great and legendary footballer he sure is.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Ffs would have been so perfect in so many different ways... Atleti as a club would have given up on football if that had gone in.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
You're right. At no point in his career have you heard many people say they are witnessing the greatest player the world has ever seen (after witnessing Leo at his absolute best, how could they do so objectively). Pele had that, Diego had that, and Messi had that.
Even as early as 2012, Cristiano's old manager Sir Alex was putting Leo up there with Diego and Pele. Then of course in 2018, he goes a step further and claims Leo to be the best ever
Relative to that trio, people en masse haven't had the same reaction to Cristiano. One of the greatest, sure, but the very best, a level no one has ever touched on a football pitch, no. That natural ability and magic that the those at the echelon had? No. You could even argue Dinho was more naturally gifted and talented. Same with Ronaldo Luiz Nazario.
Despite this, you do have to admire his hard work and will (arguably unparalleled. Leo could learn a thing or two here) to drag himself to close to that level.
He is now, and ultimately will be seen generally as below those 3 in the grand scheme of things. Is that really bad, to be considered one of the best 4/5 players in history? It's an amazing accomplishment, and he will set records that will stand for yonks. Let's not sniff at that.
A great and legendary footballer he sure is.
Ronaldinho had more talent than the so called GOATS (except Maradona ..maybe) unfortunately he made very bad decisions and completely killed his future.

Suedesi

Ffs would have been so perfect in so many different ways... Atleti as a club would have given up on football if that had gone in.
I was willing that to go in. Can’t stand Atletico. Simeone should have been fired last season for playing nonsense soccer with such a good team.

Tostao_80

Ronaldinho had more talent than the so called GOATS (except Maradona ..maybe) unfortunately he made very bad decisions and completely killed his future.
Indeed. Those 2 peak years at Barca he was close to reaching the level of Diego. Cristiano and Leo have been world class for over 10 years (unprecedented in the history of the game) and therefore blow him out of the water.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Ronaldo could play for anyone - Millwall, QPR, Doncaster Rovers - and score a hat-trick in a game. I'm not sure Messi could do it," said the legendary manager.
I’d agree that Ronaldo would be more effective in those teams than Messi, but I don’t think great players should be judged much on their ability to play with amateurs. I’m pretty sure Gerrard would be a lot more effective for those lower league teams than Scholes for example, but I doubt Sir Alex or most people on here would say that it makes him the better player.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

OMG that was sweet. Pity it didn't go in.

Nr.7

He seems like a top guy. I know some people who worked with him (commercials and stuff) and they all say he’s such a nice guy.

As for football, top 2 players of all time.
You can like Ronaldinho or whoever more, but what him and Messi did (are still doing) is levels above all others who played the game.

I always thought that him coming to (that) Manchester United at such a young age was probably his best choice in his careeer which shaped him and helped him maximize his potential.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I always thought that him coming to Manchester United at such a young age was probably his best choice in his careeer which shaped him and helped him maximize his potential.
Definitely. Fergie was mega at it, especially if that person showed the drive and passion Ronaldo did. Everything was set up perfectly, from the atmosphere behind the scenes to the squad being exactly what was needed for a young player to thrive.

VanKenny

Disagree completely. Even at the top of his game, he never came close to the level of top form CR7, let alone top form Messi. Take the top form of any of the two and they would blow him out of the water in trophies, MOTM awards, statistics, individual awards, etc.

Messi's top season >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ronaldinho's top season

The "no look" pass isnt great enough to put him a level above Messi FFS :lol:

LARulz

Just watched the interview and thought it was fantastic. His self belief is incredible but the best bits were obviously when it got personal/saw his human side - not the robotic footballer he's been made out to be.

I was thinking there should have been more about the football but realised he won't say anything he hasn't already said or that we don't already know. He doesn't seem the type to publically slate other players, air grievances etc.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Disagree completely. Even at the top of his game, he never came close to the level of top form Messi, let alone top form CR7. Take the top form of any of the two and they would blow him out of the water in trophies, MOTM awards, statistics, individual awards, etc.

Messi's top season >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ronaldinho's top season

The "no look" pass isnt great enough to put him a level above Messi FFS :lol:
Fixed

meamth

Why did he lace it? Should have curled it.

If that went in, back pages all over the world.

VanKenny

English isnt my first language, i was under the impression that what i originally said meant that if Ronaldinho couldnt come close to top form CR7, then there is even less of a chance he got close to top form Messi.

So it actually means the opposite?

TL;DR: Messi>>CR7>>>>Ronaldinho

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Arrogant as feck on the football pitch but the drive and determination he has is 2nd to none. His longevity is incredible and can see him having another 4 seasons scoring astronomical numbers. Off the pitch he seems a genuine family man and humble to the people around him.

Messi and Ronaldo have created a different ballpark for players and for me are 1 and 2 respectively. Ronaldo is nowhere near Messi in talent stakes but his sheer willingness to be best has put him in the same bracket for me. If either were born in different eras they would have 10 Ballon d’ors apiece as no one else comes close to either for sheer consistent numbers.

Very similar to having the 3 best tennis players of all time playing in the same era. Fed, Nadal or Djokovic would probably have 30-40 slams if they were in another era alone from the other 2.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
English isnt my first language, i was under the impression that what i originally said meant that if Ronaldinho couldnt come close to top form CR7, then there is even less of a chance he got close to top form Messi.

So it actually means the opposite?

TL;DR: Messi>>CR7>>>>Ronaldinho
You know what, I’m an idiot and English is my first language so I have no excuse :lol:

What you originally posted is correct!

Status
Not open for further replies.