Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteBoredom

yes and no. Juve's bet is way more focused on the commercial advantages that Ronaldo brings to the table than just the technical ones/ If only technical and tactical considerations were relevant Juve would never have invested so much money. Ronaldo's success will be measured more in terms of how much he will help growing Juve's brand and commercial revenues rather than how many goals he will score which of course will also be important, but not the most important thing.
How much he can help grow the Juve brand has a direct relation to his performance on the pitch. If that drops his fans will have no reason to associate him with Juventus or continue to follow them after he leaves.

In the short term, his presence will allow them a better negotiating position, but can they gain enough to offset the 400m outlay is doubtful to say the least.

Very risky transfer. If it works out fair dos to Juve but they must be praying that he doesn’t turn out the same as Higuain.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
yes and no. Juve's bet is way more focused on the commercial advantages that Ronaldo brings to the table than just the technical ones/ If only technical and tactical considerations were relevant Juve would never have invested so much money. Ronaldo's success will be measured more in terms of how much he will help growing Juve's brand and commercial revenues rather than how many goals he will score which of course will also be important, but not the most important thing.
We are talking about 400 million over a period of four years. 400 million. That is a gigantic investment for a club like Juve. I don't know their exact numbers but I'd estimate this is around one third of their yearly revenue. How much do you expect their brand to grow through this deal? It has to be an enormous leap in order to justify such a price tag. Especially since they kind of monetized it directly through the FIAT deal which leaves less arguments for future investors.

And you also have to consider that it is not given that this will influence their brand positively. Imagine Ronaldo declines after one year, picks up many injuries, maybe Turin wants to sell him etc. The reactions would be devastating and Juve the laughing stock for burning hundreds of millions of Euros. There goes your brand value.

I'm not saying that this can't pay out. But it is definitely an extremely risky deal. Ronaldo is still the best striker around with quite a margin but that doesn't change the fact that he's almost 34 years old.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

He'll just give a regular press conference, there will be no stadium presentation. Something like that would be too extravagant for Ronaldo.

vincent11

Well no genius, do you even read? That‘s why I wrote ‚apparently‘ and ‚no idea if the source is worth a damn‘...

Besides better sources are confirming the story, i.e. Bloomberg so I have no idea what on earth you‘re on about.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...t-workers-as-player-s-purchase-prompts-strike

with all due respect this "news" is too stupid to be true, as a matter of fact the unions made an official announcement to ridicule it :

http://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.co...isposta.Sciopero.Juve.Ronaldo.Melfi.2018.jpeg

Last edited:

Flying_Heckfish

It's mental that fees have ballooned so much. Partly the fault of doping and partly the fault of the terrible TV right system.

Still reckon he will have a great season and be in contention for Bd'O come season's end.

VJ1762

So glad we didn't sign this guy. It would've completely disrupted Rashford's development.
I know we don't have space to fit him in the squad, but the idea that he would have completely disrupted rashford who will probably amount to a good squad player, is laughable. I would have loved him to wear the legendary no 7 shirt again, considering it's value has been diminished by players like tony V, Di maria,memphis fecking depay and sanchez(who hasn't lived up to expectations). And he is better than all our attackers anyway. The what-if will always remain with ronnie and united.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I know we don't have space to fit him in the squad, but the idea that he would have completely disrupted rashford who will probably amount to a good squad player, is laughable. I would have loved him to wear the legendary no 7 shirt again, considering it's value has been diminished by players like tony V, Di maria,memphis fecking depay and sanchez(who hasn't lived up to expectations). And he is better than all our attackers anyway. The what-if will always remain with ronnie and united.
He was being sarcastic, I think

aganley

To those people who said "I'm glad we didn't sign him", Juventus and Nike officially announced that almost 520,000 units of Juventus kit with Ronaldo's name was sold.

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/juventus-ronaldo-jersey/

Amazing really, top that with extra 1 million followers on all social media for the club. Money well spent Juve.
How many units would have been sold anyway as it’s a new season?

How many additional units have been sold?

Let’s wait and see the overall total number of units at the end of the season?

I buy a shirt most seasons irrespective of whose name goes on the back.

meamth

How many units would have been sold anyway as it’s a new season?

How many additional units have been sold?

Let’s wait and see the overall total number of units at the end of the season?

I buy a shirt most seasons irrespective of whose name goes on the back.
Surely not 520k in such a short space of time. Well signs are there to see for now.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Surely not 520k in such a short space of time. Well signs are there to see for now.
There might have been a small spike in sales but what most likely has happened is instead of fans buying Dybala and Higuain shirts they've been buying Ronaldo shirts. But like the poster above said it's a bit early to tell.

Beagle

I reckon he will stay at Juve till he's 38 and go to MLS to play till 42. Beast of a player.
He said in an interview he doesn't believe he will go to US, China or Qatar. He wants to retire playing in a top league and then focus on his brands after football. I think this is the last move for him. Another 150-200 goals later, the superhuman will call it quits.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He requested no stadium presentation out of respect for Madrid's fans apparently.
Don't think that's true, didn't bother him doing one when he left us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He said in an interview he doesn't believe he will go to US, China or Qatar. He wants to retire playing in a top league and then focus on his brands after football. I think this is the last move for him. Another 150-200 goals later, the superhuman will call it quits.
Considering he earns much more from his brands than his club salary every year, it makes perfect sense to do it that way.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
To those people who said "I'm glad we didn't sign him", Juventus and Nike officially announced that almost 520,000 units of Juventus kit with Ronaldo's name was sold.

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/juventus-ronaldo-jersey/

Amazing really, top that with extra 1 million followers on all social media for the club. Money well spent Juve.
No offense, but if you think that the revenue through sold Ronaldo jerseys you should consider taking a deeper dive into the economics of a football club. Someone already pointed out that a good proportion of these jerseys would've been sold anyway. However, even if the majority of the purchasers only bought the jersey due to Cristiano: juventus earns maybe 10-20€ per unit, maybe even less. If they are lucky, the profit covers Ronaldo's wages for the preseason. The party profiting the most is Nike. Of course Juventus improves their bargaining position towards their sponsors due to Ronaldo's signing and it is clear that they can demand more money from them now but it definitely is more complicated than "Ronaldo will compensate his transfer fee through jersey's sold". However, then again the brand value is decreased since they already invited FIAT to participate and Ronaldo markets himself autonomously, monetizing his brand himself.

And Ronaldo approximately will cost Juve 400 million over the course of four years. I think Juve's revenue in 2017 was around 550 million. These are gigantic expenses for a club like Turin, especially if Ronaldo can't keep up his level due to age. We'll see if this money was spent well.

Dudu

It seems the strike organized by the Fiat workers in response to the Ronaldo transfer didn't turn out so well.. only 5 workers showed up!

"A strike called by a small union at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles to protest the purchase of Cristiano Ronaldo by Juventus Football Club became viral news on social media last week.

However, only five workers showed up at the protest on Monday. Turnout for the strike amounted to 0.3 percent of the 1,700 workers at the first shift of the Melfi assembly plant in southern Italy, the first of a two-day protest organized by the USB union."

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Perhaps the strikers are on strike.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Still seems weird

Way way way too good for Juventus. Don't know what he was thinking
Seems it was the only top league/club in Europe Madrid would have been comfortable selling him to, if reports are true. That price they paid specifically named Juventus. I think all other clubs would have needed to fork out more, and maybe Ronaldo wasn't really interested in moving back to the EPL, especially not to a struggling United.

Don't think Madrid would have been keen on selling him to PSG either (and PSG probably wouldn't have agreed to any deal including Mbappe/Neymar). It's not really in Bayerns business model to pay this transfer fee/salary. So it seems Juventus were one of his best options i.t.o. prestige and league.

That being said, they're been consistent UCL semi finalists (even reaching a couple of finals over the last 5 years or so), so it still gives him a great shot at challenging for, and winning the biggest club trophy.

dove

Still seems weird

I think it's a smart move. Juve is a great team, 99% guaranteed Serie A title, weaker league so he will still be able to score for fun for at least 3 more years and be able to say he has won it all in 3 major leagues. He will also earn some respect from haters because unlike Messi, Ronaldo is not afraid to leave his comfort zone to prove he is the best.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Ronaldo is way too good for a top 5 team in the world with a top 5 manager in the world?

Juventus were one game away from a treble TWICE and were beaten by the big 2 in Spain. Obviously he's not going to Barca so Juventus is the next best option.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I think it's a smart move. Juve is a great team, 99% guaranteed Serie A title, weaker league so he will still be able to score for fun for at least 3 more years and be able to say he has won it all in 3 major leagues. He will also earn some respect from haters because unlike Messi, Ronaldo is not afraid to leave his comfort zone to prove he is the best.
Hmmm.

meamth

Some serious underrating of Juventus here, both in terms of performance and the size of the club.
Italian football is seriously becoming the next German league with Juventus dominance. Perhaps they are already monopolized by Juventus and even worse than German league.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
His goal will obviously be to win CL with Juve, Serie A is a nice guaranteed bonus.
I understand that, but no "hater" is going to respect him more for that, it's the safest move he could make in terms of likelihood of footballing success.

Plus how the feck do you know that Messi is afraid to leave his comfort zone?

dove

I understand that, but no "hater" is going to respect him more for that, it's the safest move he could make in terms of likelihood of footballing success.

Well, did he move to PL to prove he can do it on a cold rainy night in Stoke?

Kapardin

Don't get the logic. Is there a necessity that a world class player needs to move to Stoke or Darmstadt to prove himself?

Ronaldo is world class and so he is the right fit for a league winning team. The risk in the move lies in him moving to a different league at this age. There is no guarantee for any player that just because he joins Juve, he is going to score bucketloads in Serie A. But obviously, nobody thinks Ronaldo will flop due to his inherent talent.

Nobody also said Messi is afraid to leave his comfort zone, rather he doesn't feel adventurous and is enjoying life at Barca. Fair enough, there is no need to keep comparing the two over these things. But still, Ronaldo can be independently lauded for trying out a new league at his age.

James Peril

Still seems weird

What? Juventus are a fine club and he's 33. It's not like he is signing for a smaller club like Tottenham or West Ham, it's the biggest club in Italy and an institution in European football for sure. Great country, city, stadium and so on and so forth. Makes sense on many levels, he's never played in Italy before.

Status
Not open for further replies.