Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Why doesn't he want to play when it is his job to do so? Imagine Pogba pulling this stunt and the whole world will be on him right after
Obviously don't know for sure but Ronaldo is very sensitive with his body these days given his age, especially early in the season. If he feels a niggle he just won't play.

Pagh Wraith

I was thinking that him sitting on the bench for 90 minutes was weird when I watched the highlights of that game. Poor form. They knew very well most people in that stadium came to see him play.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
If this is true this is a stupid move from him.

But this is weird, why would he not want to play the 45 min? If he was afraid of injuries he didn't need to do much, just stroll in the field and everyone would be happy.
I think there's more than what we heard.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It’s his job to play? If he feels ok to play.

It’s hilarious to see a lot of certainties why players do this or that, no one here knows what really happened. Tells a lot about football fans this days when X player doesn’t do what they like they go into the stadium to scream player Y name. Reality is nobody knows the reason. Simple.

Having said that, it’s better to clarify the subject regarding this.

Last edited:

SATA

It’s his job to play? If he feels ok to play. It’s hilarious to see a lot of certainties why players do this or that, no one here knows what really happened. Tells a lot about football fans this days when X player doesn’t do what they like they go into the stadium to scream player Y name. Reality is nobody knows the reason. Simple.
If you are paying good money to see him and were promised you'll get to see him play but didn't, those fans and sponsors have a right to feel aggreived. Not everyday in Korea the people there will get to see a football superstar. And Juve should have find a reason to explain so or least invent one instead of just saying 'we don't know why'. Why even bother going all the way there then with such blatant dis-respect?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If you are paying good money to see him and were promised you'll get to see him play but didn't, those fans and sponsors have a right to feel aggreived. Not everyday in Korea the people there will get to see a football superstar. And Juve should have find a reason to explain so or least invent one instead of just saying 'we don't know why'. Why even bother going all the way there then with such blatant dis-respect?
And do you know what happened? I don’t. Like I said it’s better to clarify the subject, because professional players don’t wake up and say I don’t want to play for no reason. Unless there is one.

Not even good for his interests if he had no clear reason to do that.

SATA

And do you know what happened? I don’t. Like I said it’s better to clarify the subject, because professional players don’t wake up and say I don’t want to play for no reason. Unless there is one.
If they did clarify, i doubt we'll be here talking about this

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If they did clarify, i doubt we'll be here talking about this
Reality is no one knows. Not you and me for sure. Maybe it’s a controversy or not.

NotQuiteManc

We don't know anything for sure, but this is the guy that would give anything and everything to be the very best. Be it extra gym time and whatnot, for more than half of his life now. He rarely gets injured, and seems fitter than most 20 year olds. Unless something is confirmed, I guess better cut him some slack if he feels something wrong with his body.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He played 90 minutes against Inter 2 days before the South Korea friendly... not hard to see why he didn’t feel well enough to play.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t know why Utd weren’t in for him when he left RM. Even at 100m aged 33 he’s worth it for what he brings and he’s probably got 3 years left in him. Utd is such a rich club with such a huge fanbase a signing like Ronaldo even at that age, price and wages has to be worth it commercially.

Not to mention of course that he would be prob still be one of the best if not the best player in the PL today.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I don’t know why Utd weren’t in for him when he left RM. Even at 100m aged 33 he’s worth it for what he brings and he’s probably got 3 years left in him. Utd is such a rich club with such a huge fanbase a signing like Ronaldo even at that age, price and wages has to be worth it commercially.

Not to mention of course that he would be prob still be one of the best if not the best player in the PL today.
He still wants to play CL, he’s only getting older. Doesn’t have time to be part of a rebuild project.

Gonçalo Motta

I've been hearing that since he was 28y old. He obviously slowed down a bit since then, but he is 34y old and still is a level above most players.

With the way he takes care of himself plus that hunger to win more, I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed at top level till his 40s.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
He still wants to play CL, he’s only getting older. Doesn’t have time to be part of a rebuild project.
Utd finished 2nd when Ronaldo left RM to join Juve. He would be joining a title challenging team already in the CL at that point. On the surface it would have looked very appealing who apart from the imminent Mourinho meltdown.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
He played 90 minutes against Inter 2 days before the South Korea friendly... not hard to see why he didn’t feel well enough to play.
You're right but that's something Juve should have realized before they let him play 90 minutes against Inter when they signed a contract for this match just two days later saying he would play at least 45 minutes.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I've been hearing that since he was 28y old. He obviously slowed down a bit since then, but he is 34y old and still is a level above most players.

With the way he takes care of himself plus that hunger to win more, I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed at top level till his 40s.
I actually doubt so. I don’t think he can accept that he’s not the best player anymore, at 40s, he won’t be able to stay at the very top. Maybe once he feel he can no longer become top 10 player in the world, or key figure at his club, he would call a day. Maybe he will retire at Juventus after his current contracts end.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Utd finished 2nd when Ronaldo left RM to join Juve. He would be joining a title challenging team already in the CL at that point. On the surface it would have looked very appealing who apart from the imminent Mourinho meltdown.
It’s clear he wants to create his own legacy for winning at 3 different countries, and perhaps winning CL from 3 different teams. In addition, at mid-30s, playing in Italy will have better chance to prolong his career at the very top.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
It’s clear he wants to create his own legacy for winning at 3 different countries, and perhaps winning CL from 3 different teams. In addition, at mid-30s, playing in Italy will have better chance to prolong his career at the very top.
I’m not sure how clear that is. Did Utd actually make an offer/match Juve offer to sign Ronaldo and he turned Utd down to sign for Juve? Or were Juve the only club willing to put up 100m for a 33 year old?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I was thinking that him sitting on the bench for 90 minutes was weird when I watched the highlights of that game. Poor form. They knew very well most people in that stadium came to see him play.
He is the ultimate pro. He's 34 and knows his body. He probably did not feel right.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I’m not sure how clear that is. Did Utd actually make an offer/match Juve offer to sign Ronaldo and he turned Utd down to sign for Juve? Or were Juve the only club willing to put up 100m for a 33 year old?
Not only did they pay €100m, he's on €1m a week. Easy to see why we had no interest.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Just common sense really. He did end up happily at Juventus after all, there’s no point to suggest he might prefer to join us instead. I mean, he has already achieved everything at United and in England, there’s nothing else for him to achieve here, further success in England will not probably help to improve his legacy more, why would you think he would prefer to play in England at this stage of his career? Isn’t it plain obvious he wants a new challenge elsewhere?

wr8_utd

:'(
Why would he come to United when he can go to Juve knowing the title is already won in August? It's 3-4 free league titles to add to his resume.

Raven96__

Supports
Real Madrid
I think hes gonna have a better season than the last one, but he will only be judged based on CL I think.

Juve have to make use of his presence and really try to win it, they wont have a team this good after lets say 5 years.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Why would he come to United when he can go to Juve knowing the title is already won in August? It's 3-4 free league titles to add to his resume.
While we know Ronaldo to be vain, there's not much to suggest that a few more league titles on his resume would make much difference to him or his perception. It's much more likely that being the person to end Juve's tragic CL drought would be a driving force for him, if success-led vanity was an important factor. Juve's league dominance if anything is a potential black mark on his career, if he's part of the team that ends their winning run in what many fans perceive to be a "free" title.

I think it has more to do with him wanting to have a different experience. As much as people deride Serie A, it does have its own unique character and presents different challenges. Going back to United in what would be a hopeful (at best?) attempt to bring them back to where they were when he left (from roughly the same starting point) wouldn't give him that. And going back in general is often difficult!

wr8_utd

:'(
While we know Ronaldo to be vain, there's not much to suggest that a few more league titles on his resume would make much difference to him or his perception. It's much more likely that being the person to end Juve's tragic CL drought would be a driving force for him, if success-led vanity was an important factor. Juve's league dominance if anything is a potential black mark on his career, if he's part of the team that ends their winning run in what many fans perceive to be a "free" title.

I think it has more to do with him wanting to have a different experience. As much as people deride Serie A, it does have its own unique character and presents different challenges. Going back to United in what would be a hopeful (at best?) attempt to bring them back to where they were when he left (from roughly the same starting point) wouldn't give him that. And going back in general is often difficult!
Ofcourse winning them their first CL in 23 years would be another huge factor but his resume has a noticeable lack of League titles since his move to Madrid so to go somewhere to pick up some easy league titles (PSG or Juve) and also where he can also be the one to end their CL droughts is obviously something that would be far more appealing to him than coming to a United side that's not going to help him win anything at all for the rest of his career.
Serie A might be a different challenge but bringing United back to the top would actually be a far bigger challenge and accomplishment than taking a Juve that has reached multiple CL finals recently to the next step, imo.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Ofcourse winning them their first CL in 23 years would be another huge factor but his resume has a noticeable lack of League titles since his move to Madrid so to go somewhere to pick up some easy league titles (PSG or Juve) and also where he can also be the one to end their CL droughts is obviously something that would be far more appealing to him than coming to a United side that's not going to help him win anything at all for the rest of his career.
Serie A might be a different challenge but bringing United back to the top would actually be a far bigger challenge and accomplishment than taking a Juve that has reached multiple CL finals recently to the next step, imo.
It might be a bigger challenge from your perspective but it isn't a new challenge. It's exactly the same challenge he overcame with us more than a decade ago. If he'd joined last year when we'd just finished 2nd, he'd be joining us at a similar (if not better) stage as when he was signed back in 2003 - not far from the top, but not close either. Repeating that process from a different personal starting point wouldn't be particularly novel for anyone

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
And it would have been a disaster for him if he joined as United have been having an absolute nightmare the past year or so.

Look the types of players United were getting after they finished second, no one really wanted to go there. Even with Juventus Ronaldo was complaining about the lack of quality players so they got one of the most stacked teams of Ronaldo's career right now. I don't see United having those type of transfer windows that they desperately to return to the elite. Even Ronaldo alone wouldn't be able to save them.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
And it would have been a disaster for him if he joined as United have been having an absolute nightmare the past year or so.

Look the types of players United were getting after they finished second, no one really wanted to go there. Even with Juventus Ronaldo was complaining about the lack of quality players so they got one of the most stacked teams of Ronaldo's career right now. I don't see United having those type of transfer windows that they desperately to return to the elite. Even Ronaldo alone wouldn't be able to save them.
Utd finished 6 points behind 3rd placed Chelsea I can’t believe that you wouldn’t have made up those 6 points with Ronaldo in the team. The lift to morale he would give the club and the other players would be immense. At the very minimum CL qualification would have been achieved.

Financial he’s on 50 mil of so a year with his 100mil fee spread over 3 years so he would cost about 83 mil a year. According to Forbes:
  • Within 24 hours of release, Juventus sold 520,000 Ronaldo jerseys worth over $60 million.
https://www.forbes.com/profile/cristiano-ronaldo/#3ce82a20565d

I imagine sponsors would be more inclined to pay more with Ronaldo on board plus the additional revenues from CL qualification would come close to covering the cost or indeed exceeding it. The commercial appeal of Ronaldo combined with his ability on the pitch is worth the money Utd would have to pay for him.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Utd finished 6 points behind 3rd placed Chelsea I can’t believe that you wouldn’t have made up those 6 points with Ronaldo in the team. The lift to morale he would give the club and the other players would be immense. At the very minimum CL qualification would have been achieved.

Financial he’s on 50 mil of so a year with his 100mil fee spread over 3 years so he would cost about 83 mil a year. According to Forbes:
  • Within 24 hours of release, Juventus sold 520,000 Ronaldo jerseys worth over $60 million.

I imagine sponsors would be more inclined to pay more with Ronaldo on board plus the additional revenues from CL qualification would come close to covering the cost or indeed exceeding it. The commercial appeal of Ronaldo combined with his ability on the pitch is worth the money Utd would have to pay for him.
Not sure if it’s worth it for Juve though. 83m a year. CL and Serie title is already guaranteed for them. They’ve made at least two CL finals recently too. Of the 60m made in shirt sales, Juve only saw around 6m. So that basically leaves them paying around $5-6 per additional social media follower they got.

He’ll retire in 2-3 years, or fade big time, and people will go back to not giving a shit about Juve, because they play in an uncompetitive league with limited global exposure.

Personally it looks like a no brainier for United to have signed him now; but captain hindsight always knows best. I was one of those who thought his drop off would be much steeper than it has been.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Not sure if it’s worth it for Juve though. 83m a year. CL and Serie title is already guaranteed for them. They’ve made at least two CL finals recently too. Of the 60m made in shirt sales, Juve only saw around 6m. So that basically leaves them paying around $5-6 per additional social media follower they got.

He’ll retire in 2-3 years, or fade big time, and people will go back to not giving a shit about Juve, because they play in an uncompetitive league with limited global exposure.

Personally it looks like a no brainier for United to have signed him now; but captain hindsight always knows best. I was one of those who thought his drop off would be much steeper than it has been.
The thing is it was never upto United. It’s not like he wanted to come and United said no

United aren’t a top tier club in regards to attracting the best players in the world. That needs to change if they want to get back on top

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
The thing is it was never upto United. It’s not like he wanted to come and United said no

United aren’t a top tier club in regards to attracting the best players in the world. That needs to change if they want to get back on top
Honestly, that is complete nonsense. If United had wanted Ronaldo, they definitely could’ve gotten him. The one negative the club currently has against them is the lack of CL football this season, which wasn’t even the case last summer.

edcunited1878

Honestly, that is complete nonsense. If United had wanted Ronaldo, they definitely could’ve gotten him. The one negative the club currently has against them is the lack of CL football this season, which wasn’t even the case last summer.
Ronnie did not want to go back to United or England because he had nothing left to prove. What challenge was there for him? Help United reclaim the mountain top? Already did that amd wrestled it away from Jose's Chelsea. Balon d Or, CL, league titles with Fergie...another country, another adaptation, culture, the man in another top club at a different age/life point.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Ronnie did not want to go back to United or England because he had nothing left to prove. What challenge was there for him? Help United reclaim the mountain top? Already did that amd wrestled it away from Jose's Chelsea. Balon d Or, CL, league titles with Fergie...another country, another adaptation, culture, the man in another top club at a different age/life point.
And you know that because.....?

It’s all moot anyway. United never went for him. But if they had, they had every chance of getting him.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

If Ronaldo had gone to United, even if they had improved and finished in the top 4 last year it wouldn't be a successful year for him. His goal for the rest of his career has to be to further his legacy as much as possible, that means competing for the biggest trophies. Ronaldo by himself wouldn't have made United challenge Liverpool, City or the biggest teams in the Champions League.

He's accomplished everything a player would dream of accomplishing in England, moving to a third different country is the right idea and trying to win a Champions League with Juventus is definitely a big enough challenge.

He's coming back to Lisbon to win us a title and end his career, that will be the actual last challenge of his career. It has to happen. Even if he's 40 by then.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don’t know why Utd weren’t in for him when he left RM. Even at 100m
He was not available to United at €100m. United would have had to negotiate and Florentino would asked for €250-300m best case scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.