Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEleson

42 goals in 46 games since Santos became manager. So much easier to score when there's a player like Bernardo feeding him.

Should have had Garrincha instead though
Ironically, he's now receiving more service when playing for his national team than his club side. A little sad that Portugal have finally started producing quality now that he's just past his prime really.

Tostao_80

42 goals in 46 games since Santos became manager. So much easier to score when there's a player like Bernardo feeding him.

Should have had Garrincha instead though
Indeed. Garrincha played in the 1970 WC when Pele scored in the final and was best player. Oh wait. Stop the hyperbole. Cristiano deserves all the credit for his amazing record. Bringing Pele into the equation like Avocado did is just plain embarrassing. How many of those 90 goals are WC knock out goals?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Ironically, he's now receiving more service when playing for his national team than his club side. A little sad that Portugal have finally started producing quality now that he's just past his prime really.
Imagine if Portugal had a prime Nani Prime Ronaldo and Prime Silva as the front 3. Feck me that would be beautiful.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ronaldo will still be scoring goals at 38/39. He's got the body of a man 10 years younger than he is.

SportingCP96

Supports
Indeed. Garrincha played in the 1970 WC when Pele scored in the final and was best player. Oh wait. Stop the hyperbole. Cristiano deserves all the credit for his amazing record. Bringing Pele into the equation like Avocado did is just plain embarrassing. How many of those 90 goals are WC knock out goals?
Can’t the same be said about Messi though? Ronaldo has had a better international career then him both collectively and individually while having worse teams in the majority of there career.

SportingCP96

Supports
Combined with a strong defence that would win the WC.

Looks like he got the four goals.
Ya I figured the shot went at goal so I don’t know how own goal was even considered.

First poker for Portugal in his career if I am not mistaken and a brilliant start to his season.

6 goals in 4 games.

SirAF

Ageist
I can only imagine the rage many felt when Portugal shithoused their way to Euro 2016, you just know it bothers many people :lol:
Ya I figured the shot went at goal so I don’t know how own goal was even considered.

First poker for Portugal in his career if I am not mistaken and a brilliant start to his season.

6 goals in 4 games.
:drool:

Tostao_80

Can’t the same be said about Messi though? Ronaldo has had a better international career then him both collectively and individually while having worse teams in the majority of there career.
No one brought Messi into thread. And even the most ardent Messi fan wouldnt even dare compare his international record to Peles, even if he did score more goals. There is a chasm between Peles international record and Leo/ Cristiano. I mean, doesn't Leo have twice the amount of Argentina goals as Diego, yet Diego's meagre 36 goals are more appreciated. He delivered at the business end. Quality over quantity.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Would people in here prefer a Ronaldo hattrick in a 4-3 loss over a win?

We're really stepping in to the player fans era.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Garrincha was a better player than Pele for me and Brazil would win the WC even without Pele. At that time Brazil was shitting good players unlike today and they had a great team.

SATA

Portugal will be proper fecked when Cristiano retires. Unless Joao Felix magically turns into another Ronaldo. The likes of Bruno Fernandes and Bernardo Silva isn’t enough

SportingCP96

Supports
No one brought Messi into thread. And even the most ardent Messi fan wouldnt even dare compare his international record to Peles, even if he did score more goals. There is a chasm between Peles international record and Leo/ Cristiano. I mean, doesn't Leo have twice the amount of Argentina goals as Diego, yet Diego's meagre 36 goals are more appreciated. He delivered at the business end. Quality over quantity.
I never compared him to pele though (international goals wise) though his regular tally of goals is highly highly highly questionable but I won’t get into that again.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He's so unlucky to be born when he was born. Could have been in his prime for the next 5 years when we'll be very good or during the golden generation... but had to spend his prime playing with a really bad generation inbetween.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Congratulations, not bad for a 34 year old poacher who only scores tap ins.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He's so unlucky to be born when he was born. Could have been in his prime for the next 5 years when we'll be very good or during the golden generation... but had to spend his prime playing with a really bad generation inbetween.
:lol:

He's won 5 Ballon d'Ors, scored absurd amount of goals and been best player for 3 of the biggest clubs in the world winning every trophy there possible could be won at club level. He also won a major tournament with Portugal, imagine thinking that is unlucky!

SportingCP96

Supports
Imagine being 35 and still being at this level? Fecking Hell there has never been anything like him.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I’m puzzled. Why is he scoring so few goals in Serie A if he’s still killing it for his national team? Is Serie A so tactical defensively? I don’t think so since I see so many games now where there are so many goals. Juventus’s style? Should have stayed on at Real Madrid.

SportingCP96

Supports
I’m puzzled. Why is he scoring so few goals in Serie A if he’s still killing it for his national team? Is Serie A so tactical defensively? I don’t think so since I see so many games now where there are so many goals. Juventus’s style? Should have stayed on at Real Madrid.
Juventus are not a very attacking team are very defensive minded.

SirAF

Ageist
Yes and yes.

I think he got out of Real at just the right time. He obviously would have masked their troubles a bit, but nah I think Juventus is a good move.

SportingCP96

Supports
I think he got mad at his FIFA rating and took it out on Lithuania :devil:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Wont put this in the Ronaldo v messi thread as all the messi fanboys will come running but...

Ronaldo is easily the best. It's not even up for debate. Even at his age his sheer drive and desire means hes still performing at the very top of his ability.

In my years of watching football he is hands down the greatest ever.

SirAF

Ageist
Wont put this in the Ronaldo v messi thread as all the messi fanboys will come running but...

Ronaldo is easily the best. It's not even up for debate. Even at his age his sheer drive and desire means hes still performing at the very top of his ability.
There are one or two of them poking about in here as well, so be aware :smirk:

You are of course right. It’s not by chance that my two all time favorite players are Roy Keane and Ronaldo. Driven as feck.

NYAS

17 more goals to be the outright all-time top international goal-scorer.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They won a World Cup without Pele even playing... I'd have loved to watch us attempt the same with a front 3 of Duda, Danny and Liedson in 2010.

Do you think Pele would have scored as many WC knockout goals if he was portuguese in this era? The fact you're comparing them directly as if their circumstances were anywhere near the same is just wrong. Cristiano has played 5 WC knockout matches in his career... 3 of them in 2006 (Netherlands, England and France - got the shit kicked out of him and subbed off 20 minutes into the Netherlands match so technically only 4 games), 1 in 2010 vs the best spanish team ever and 1 in 2018 vs Uruguay who have one of the best defenses in football. In 2010, 2014 and 2018 we had nowhere near the team needed to get far into the tournament and we got horrendous draws on top of it. In 2022 it will be his first chance since 2006 to actually try to win a World Cup and that's if everything goes well and the young portuguese players develop. He'll be 38 by then.

If Cristiano had spent the past decade having the support he has now in the national team, he'd have done a lot better. Of course he's not going to replicate with Portugal what Pelé did with Brazil... even if you think he's the best player ever you wouldn't expect him to.

NYAS

Forgot to add: with games against Luxembourg (both home and away) and Lithuania home coming up!

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t break the record.

SportingCP96

Supports
17 more goals to be the outright all-time top international goal-scorer.
He will do it too.

His goal scoring record for Portugal by the time he retires will most likely never be surpassed and neither will his appearances which I imagine could still get to 200.

Then the all time national team scoring record while he will inevitably break will possibly never be broken and if it is will be in 100 years.

Not to mention he is the all time goal scorer for Real Madrid which won’t be broken for a long time and he will potentially retire as the all time goal scorer in the Champions league.

REMARKABLE to say the least.

Your just lost for words.

SirAF

Ageist
Forgot to add: with games against Luxembourg (both home and away) and Lithuania home coming up!

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t break the record.
I’m licking my lips as we speak.

MrEleson

Both theories are correct. Most Serie A teams park their entire team in their box and play for the draw from the kick off against juve. On top of that, Juve under Allegri were very negative and often relied on pragmatism to win. Ronaldo barely snuffed more than a couple of chances per game on average - a stark contrast to his time at Madrid where he’d have the likes of Marcelo, Carvajal, Benzema and co. feeding him balls from every angle all match even when 6-0 up. Sarri said this year though that he wants Ronaldo to score 40 goals so hopefully we’ll see a much more attacking Juve.

Juve who came 1st in Serie A only scored 5 more goals than united last season (finished 6th) despite the latter having Mourinho and his shrewd tactics for half the season .

wr8_utd

:'(
He will do it too.

His goal scoring record for Portugal by the time he retires will most likely never be surpassed and neither will his appearances which I imagine could still get to 200.

Then the all time national team scoring record while he will inevitably break will possibly never be broken and if it is will be in 100 years.

Not to mention he is the all time goal scorer for Real Madrid which won’t be broken for a long time and he will potentially retire as the all time goal scorer in the Champions league.

REMARKABLE to say the least.

Your just lost for words.
I don't see anyone beating his records for Portugal or Real Madrid. However, I don't think he'll keep the all time goal scoring record at international level.
I see European players beating that record as long as teams like Faroe Islands, San Marino, Lithuania, Estonia etc continue to exist.
Kane, for example, has 26 goals in 41 games already for England and they're a good attacking side themselves. If they get even 2 weak teams per qualifying, that's atleast 4 matches he gets to fill up his boots in. I think he'll easily beat Rooney's England record even Ronaldo's one day.

Bennz McCarthey17

Supports
Africa
That was just Cristiano doing Cristiano things, I've been reading this forum for years now. The usual haters are hating again, it's a pity cause they're missing out on enjoying The greatest European Footballer ever. I wish I had seen him here in South Africa in 2010.

I don't see anyone beating his records for Portugal or Real Madrid. However, I don't think he'll keep the all time goal scoring record at international level.
I see European players beating that record as long as teams like Faroe Islands, San Marino, Lithuania, Estonia etc continue to exist.
Kane, for example, has 26 goals in 41 games already for England and they're a good attacking side themselves. If they get even 2 weak teams per qualifying, that's atleast 4 matches he gets to fill up his boots in. I think he'll easily beat Rooney's England record even Ronaldo's one day.
Kane will most likely best Rooney’s record - but don’t think he will get anywhere near the no of goals Ronaldo will finish on.

Kane would likely have to play another decade to get the no of matches needed to have a chance of getting near Ronaldo (a player who has never had a serious injury) - that’s incredibly unlikely. It’s also very likely that England will produce a decent striker over the next 5-7 years that will take his place.

There’s been lots of players down the years who looked a dead cert to be top scorer for England - Lineker, Owen, Shearer, now Kane - Rooney only just made it and stumbled over the line.

At some point it’s likely that Kane’s form will drop off or he will get an injury that stops him performing at the highest level, it happens to most players.

It’s so rare for a player to sustain the form Ronaldo has done over 16 years, and he’s got a couple more years left in him, he’s just incredible.

Skills

Snitch
Kane won't last 160+ international games though - at least nowhere close to that goalscoring rate.

SportingCP96

Supports
Kane wont get near it. Maybe 60 goals but Ronaldo will retire with close to 120 goals at international level. It wont be touched for a long time but it could be broken. Portugal and Madrid record probably wont ever be broken.

wr8_utd

:'(
Kane will most likely best Rooney’s record - but don’t think he will get anywhere near the no of goals Ronaldo will finish on.

Kane would likely have to play another decade to get the no of matches needed to have a chance of getting near Ronaldo (a player who has never had a serious injury) - that’s incredibly unlikely. It’s also very likely that England will produce a decent striker over the next 5-7 years that will take his place.

There’s been lots of players down the years who looked a dead cert to be top scorer for England - Lineker, Owen, Shearer, now Kane - Rooney only just made it and stumbled over the line.

At some point it’s likely that Kane’s form will drop off or he will get an injury that stops him performing at the highest level, it happens to most players.

It’s so rare for a player to sustain the form Ronaldo has done over 16 years, and he’s got a couple more years left in him, he’s just incredible.
Kane won't last 160+ international games though - at least nowhere close to that goalscoring rate.
Kane wont get near it. Maybe 60 goals but Ronaldo will retire with close to 120 goals at international level. It wont be touched for a long time but it could be broken. Portugal and Madrid record probably wont ever be broken.
I think it's possible primarily due to the kind of teams you get to face in European qualifying competitions. Maybe Kane is a bit off right now but look at Lukaku, he's 26, rarely injured and he's at 50 goals in around 80 games already for Belgium.

Now look at the kind of group he's got for qualifying. It's got San Marino (-28 GD in 6 games), Scotland, Kazakhstan and Cyprus. He's played in 3 of their games and scored 4 goals. He's still got to face 3 of those above mentioned team and 2 of them home and he's in a team with the creativity of KDB, Hazard, Mertens etc. Lukaku, for all his faults, is a poacher and you give him the kind of chances that Belgium do and he'll score you goals and he's done so for Belgium. Is it that unlikely that he gets around 60-70 more goals in 7 more years of international football (assume he doesn't play beyond 33) given the kind of teams they face in qualifying?
A player doesn't have to be anywhere as good as Ronaldo but being a quality striker in one of the top teams, playing against the likes of San Mariono, Gibraltar, Malta, Estonia, Lithuania etc, I think we'll definitely see players get close to the 100 goals and I think we'll see someone like Lukaku get close or match it unless his form completely falls off a cliff.

Status
Not open for further replies.