Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That’s a very strange game, he is wasteful and didn’t really play well by his standard actually, but still managed to score 4 goals :lol:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't see anyone beating his records for Portugal or Real Madrid. However, I don't think he'll keep the all time goal scoring record at international level.
I see European players beating that record as long as teams like Faroe Islands, San Marino, Lithuania, Estonia etc continue to exist.
Kane, for example, has 26 goals in 41 games already for England and they're a good attacking side themselves. If they get even 2 weak teams per qualifying, that's atleast 4 matches he gets to fill up his boots in. I think he'll easily beat Rooney's England record even Ronaldo's one day.
That’s actually not a good example. At 26 and 5th year playing for England, he only managed to score 26 goals. Even double that up in next 5 years, by the time he reach 30s, he could only get around 50. That’s still long long way behind Ronaldo record.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
With the way he is going, he will score loads of goals for many more years. Insane player.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Yes and yes.

I think he got out of Real at just the right time. He obviously would have masked their troubles a bit, but nah I think Juventus is a good move.
I'm not Ronaldo's biggest fan but sometimes you gotta appreciate a legend and give credit where he's due. Initially, I thought that Real Madrid's problem has deeper underlying issues, much more than Ronaldo's departure. Obviously, you're right that he has masked their problems but it's no coincidence that they had a disastrous last season after Ronaldo left, I mean this was exactly the same group of players minus Ronaldo and Zidane. Zidane came back but they are still struggling. People underestimate how much a phenomenal player like Messi, Ronaldo make a difference to a team just look at what happens to Chelsea when Hazard left?

Juventus is a good move for him career wise in terms of trophies i.e winning league titles but for his personal goals record, it's not. I could see him hitting at least 500 goals for Real if he stays on at Real and he could even hit 1,000 goals in total when he retires given his insane drive and dedication.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'm not Ronaldo's biggest fan but sometimes you gotta appreciate a legend and give credit where he's due. Initially, I thought that Real Madrid's problem has deeper underlying issues, much more than Ronaldo's departure. Obviously, you're right that he has masked their problems but it's no coincidence that they had a disastrous last season after Ronaldo left, I mean this was exactly the same group of players minus Ronaldo and Zidane. Zidane came back but they are still struggling. People underestimate how much a phenomenal player like Messi, Ronaldo make a difference to a team just look at what happens to Chelsea when Hazard left?

Juventus is a good move for him career wise in terms of trophies i.e winning league titles but for his personal goals record, it's not. I could see him hitting at least 500 goals for Real if he stays on at Real and he could even hit 1,000 goals in total when he retires given his insane drive and dedication.
If he stay at Real he may get 10-15 more goals per season due to more attacking approach and teammates familiar with his movements.
But it’s risky in terms of trophy as there’s very slim chance they could win La Liga, and it’s always hard to win another CL no matter which team you are playing.
I think at this stage of his career, he would rather win a big trophy every year, with same chance of winning CL, even though scoring 10-15 goals less. (No one will break his scoring record anyway)

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Imagine being 35 and still being at this level? Fecking Hell there has never been anything like him.
And I haven't seen any who's questioning whether he's taking drug or not. Which is a feat in itself when you see his body and performance.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
If he stay at Real he may get 10-15 more goals per season due to more attacking approach and teammates familiar with his movements.
But it’s risky in terms of trophy as there’s very slim chance they could win La Liga, and it’s always hard to win another CL no matter which team you are playing.
I think at this stage of his career, he would rather win a big trophy every year, with same chance of winning CL, even though scoring 10-15 goals less. (No one will break his scoring record anyway)
I don't think Ronaldo actually wants to leave Real, given a choice. If reports are to be believed, he left Real because he didn't feel loved and valued enough by the club. He has some issues with Perez and when he had that whole tax fiasco going on, the club didn't support him enough, whereas Messi had all the support from Barcelona. I thought he would have retired at Real and I'm sure there were many who thought so too.

Real Madrid has as much chance to win La Liga as Barcelona and Atletico Madrid with the current season. In fact, it would be the best opportunity for them. I know its still early in the season, but Atletico Madrid has just opened a 5 point gap and Barcelona isn't all that great these days, especially without Messi they are beatable. If Ronaldo had stayed on at Real, he would continue to score his usual 40 to 50 goals and it would probably be his best chance to win more La Ligas. Let's also not forget that Ronaldo not only had to compete against his rival Messi but Messi had the help of Neymar and Suarez during Barca's dominance. Suarez has declined and Neymar has left. Barca's manager is average and its no coincidence their team has been pretty ordinary since then. There's a reason why they want to sign Neymar back.

Seria A is pretty much a slam dunk for Juventus, without Ronaldo, they would still win it. Let's be honest, the only main reason Juve signed Ronaldo was to win the CL and it's also no guarantee he could win the CL with Juve. I still feel that he should have stayed on at Real. As much as I don't particularly like him, I hate to see a phenomenal player like him scoring 40 to 50 goals reduced to 20+ goals because he plays for a much more defensive team.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't really think his departure is the reason Madrid are the mess we are currently witnessing. The issues were already there during his last season. They were lucky to go through against Munich and win the whole thing while theirbleague performances were already atrocious.

Cristiano is much more participating for Juve and Portugal than he used to be in his final years at Real where his focus was much more on his actual output. If Madrid's main problem was scoring goals, I'd agree but Benzema did a decent job at replacing Cristiano in that regard and while he's obviously still a massive downgrade on CR7 as the main goal threat, they have much more urgent issues than that. If you see which kind of goals they concede at times and how they struggle to dominate lesser sides.. Cristiano could've done nothing about that.obviously he would help in their current situation but it would be more of a case of covering problems than solving them. Thus squad should be doing much better with the individual they have than they currently are and the question is what keeps them from doing so.

That being said, it's still incredible how good he is at his age. He's most likely the most disciplined and most determinant player ever in the game. Really curious how long he can keep up that level. Probably up until his late 30s.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't think Ronaldo actually wants to leave Real, given a choice. If reports are to be believed, he left Real because he didn't feel loved and valued enough by the club. He has some issues with Perez and when he had that whole tax fiasco going on, the club didn't support him enough, whereas Messi had all the support from Barcelona. I thought he would have retired at Real and I'm sure there were many who thought so too.

Real Madrid has as much chance to win La Liga as Barcelona and Atletico Madrid with the current season. In fact, it would be the best opportunity for them. I know its still early in the season, but Atletico Madrid has just opened a 5 point gap and Barcelona isn't all that great these days, especially without Messi they are beatable. If Ronaldo had stayed on at Real, he would continue to score his usual 40 to 50 goals and it would probably be his best chance to win more La Ligas. Let's also not forget that Ronaldo not only had to compete against his rival Messi but Messi had the help of Neymar and Suarez during Barca's dominance. Suarez has declined and Neymar has left. Barca's manager is average and its no coincidence their team has been pretty ordinary since then. There's a reason why they want to sign Neymar back.

Seria A is pretty much a slam dunk for Juventus, without Ronaldo, they would still win it. Let's be honest, the only main reason Juve signed Ronaldo was to win the CL and it's also no guarantee he could win the CL with Juve. I still feel that he should have stayed on at Real. As much as I don't particularly like him, I hate to see a phenomenal player like him scoring 40 to 50 goals reduced to 20+ goals because he plays for a much more defensive team.
Well I think it’s more complicate than that, there’s number of issues with Real, whether it is that he does not feel being valued enough by the club, or the fact is the team is actually in a mess, aging and in decline and all that, which may take a few years to rebuild, the time he couldn’t afford to wait at his age. Plus he also wants a new challenge, Juventus is indeed the good choice at this stage of his career. Plus I don’t think it is that open in La Liga, on paper Barca has definitely improved from last season with signings of Geizmann and De Jong, what they lack for start of season is Messi being injured. I think they are still some distance from matching Barca.

Also I think he will get at least 30-40 goals this season. First season in new league with completely different style/approach is always harder. I think he has settled well now. Scoring 6 goals in his first 4 games this season is a very good start.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I don't really think his departure is the reason Madrid are the mess we are currently witnessing. The issues were already there during his last season. They were lucky to go through against Munich and win the whole thing while theirbleague performances were already atrocious.
But at the time their league performances were atrocious because of Ronaldo (and Benzema).... while they had the best midfield in the world, Isco was a Ballon D'Or candidate, Asensio was a future Ballon D'Or winner, Marcelo was being compared to Roberto Carlos and I'd get laughed at for suggesting Carvajal wasn't the best right back in the world.... 6 months later the best midfield in the world was actually finished, Marcelo was getting benched by Reguilon, Asensio and Lucas Vasquez were midtable players, Carvajal couldn't tie Kimmich's boots, etc.. and it all happened in an instant.

Last year the theory was that it wasn't because of Ronaldo. It was because Zidane wasn't there... or it was because they hadn't signed replacements (Hazard + a striker were the suggestions here). What's the excuse going to be this year? That they were just as bad with him too? They had a poor first half of the season in 2017/18 which after a full calendar for two years of playing the club world cup, super cups, etc. is normal but they were outstanding in the second half of the season. In the 19 last games of the league they got 44 points in the league which is title winning form and they scored 62 goals which is record breaking numbers. While they did that they knocked out PSG, Juventus, Bayern and Liverpool on the way to their third consecutive CL title. They haven't got anywhere near that level since he left.

After the comments you've made on the subject throughout the years and how categorically wrong time has proved you to be, I assumed that would be that. Wasn't expecting another spin to the subject.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Cristiano is much more participating for Juve and Portugal than he used to be in his final years at Real where his focus was much more on his actual output. If Madrid's main problem was scoring goals, I'd agree but Benzema did a decent job at replacing Cristiano in that regard and while he's obviously still a massive downgrade on CR7 as the main goal threat, they have much more urgent issues than that. If you see which kind of goals they concede at times and how they struggle to dominate lesser sides.. Cristiano could've done nothing about that.obviously he would help in their current situation but it would be more of a case of covering problems than solving them. Thus squad should be doing much better with the individual they have than they currently are and the question is what keeps them from doing so.

That being said, it's still incredible how good he is at his age. He's most likely the most disciplined and most determinant player ever in the game. Really curious how long he can keep up that level. Probably up until his late 30s.
Benzema did not replace ronaldo successfully :lol:

Ronaldo single handedly covered Madrids ass for sessons. Him leaving is like 90 percent of the reason for what happened.

Teams depend on Ronaldo like no other player and that makes him the goat

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
In my eyes, Ronaldo and Messi are the GOATS. 10-15 years constantly dominating the football world are just insane.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Just for curiosity, in this wiki page it has Ronaldo's goals for Portugal detailed and broken down by competition, year, etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_goals_scored_by_Cristiano_Ronaldo

His record in final stages (Euro, WC, Confederations Cup and Nations League) is still quite good with 44 apps and 21 goals.

BTW the argument that he has these numbers because of the weak european teams he faces (europeans) is weird as all other european players play these kind of teams.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
@shamans @Peyroteo

So you guys think they are defensively shit and don't dominate games against smaller teams well enough because Cristiano left?

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
After the comments you've made on the subject throughout the years and how categorically wrong time has proved you to be, I assumed that would be that. Wasn't expecting another spin to the subject.
Bit ironic coming from you after all your comments about how amazing Argentina and Barcelona's squads were and how Messi was mysteriously holding them back.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Bit ironic coming from you after all your comments about how amazing Argentina and Barcelona's squads were and how Messi was mysteriously holding them back.
I never said Messi was holding them back... I said they weren't playing to their full potential and the main reason for that being they purposefully make all their attacks go through him which actually hurts the other forwards. Them not reaching their full potential with Messi in the team is obviously still better than if they reached their full potential without him.

I never said Argentina had an amazing squad when compared to the top teams. I said they had a better squad than Portugal easily and they did so. This year, for the first time in more than a decade, they don't anymore. You won't see me pretending Bernardo isn't a great player the way 'Barcelona fans' did to Higuain, Aguero, Di Maria, etc..

The scapegoating and thrashing of Messi's teammates and managers both for country and club reached absurd levels online by his fans. Just see what people write about Suarez and imagine for a second he was playing next to Higuain instead.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No, I think they were defensively shit and didn't domnate games against smaller teams well enough even when he was there.
Final season

Before that most games against smaller teams were gimmies, with or without him actually. Even those that weren't we usually won

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
This Juve team is utter shambles and IF he propelled them to an unprecedented achievement it would be one of his biggest feats. Juve are shambolic going forward.

SirAF

Ageist

That was my FOURTH post in this thread.

Unlike you and the other guy with hundreds in here and as many in Messi threads.

I will deal in facts not lies from the likes of yourself!
I haven’t made a single post in the Messi thread. Deal with facts, «Mark Barca».

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
What? :lol::lol::lol:

That was my FOURTH post in this thread.

Unlike you and the other guy with hundreds in here and as many in Messi threads.

I will deal in facts not lies from the likes of yourself!
Obviously I would post in the Ronaldo thread...I am...a...Roanldo....fan?

Sorry Marky but this aint it chief.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
I haven’t made a single post in the Messi thread. Deal with facts, «Mark Barca».
I said Messi threads and you posted in one today...

Original posts were still inaccurate unlike Ronaldos league record so far.

SirAF

Ageist
I said Messi threads and you posted in one today...

Original posts were still inaccurate unlike Ronaldos league record so far.
What Messi thread did I post in today?

Edit: if you are talking about the Zidane/Messi career thread you’re nuts.

wr8_utd

:'(
I know a lot of GOAT comments came up because he scored against the 130th best team in the world midweek but this is more like how his performances are these days. Still a phenomenal scorer if gives chances but when up against solid defenses and deprived of quality service, his impact is limited. I'm not sure playing with Higuain is going to be the best way to get the best out of him though.

wr8_utd

:'(
This Juve team is utter shambles and IF he propelled them to an unprecedented achievement it would be one of his biggest feats. Juve are shambolic going forward.
This "utter shambles" team has won, what, 7-8 titles in a row? They were actually playing better football before they brought in Ronaldo last year. They'll still eventually win the League by default.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
It's literally the same team that eased to the double and reached the Cl quarterfinals in 17/18.

Bennz McCarthey17

Supports
Africa
Pipe down Barcelona/messi fans, this is a 34 years old player, who has as many CL as your whole team. It's just 3 matches anyway, the league is just starting, by the way hasn't Ronaldo embarassed you lot enough over the last what 13 years?..

Status
Not open for further replies.