Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What a beautiful strike... his 24 goals in 25 serie A games this season.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
What a beautiful strike... his 24 goals in 25 serie A games this season.
Not too bad for a guy who is "passed it"

His numbers aren't more because Juve suck terribly.

Imagine him in Bayern instead of Lewa? He would have close to 50 goals in a team like that.

Deery

Dreary
Don’t know how he does it halfway through the season he looked done, then he goes and turns it all around.

Incredible athlete, incredible footballer...

United58

Don’t know how he does it halfway through the season he looked done, then he goes and turns it all around.

He seems to optimise his body so that he's in his seasonal prime for the tail end of the season.

Interesting that he's got almost a goal a game in the league but only 2 in 7 in the Champions League - normally he's the other way round in recent seasons

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Imagine him in Bayern instead of Lewa? He would have close to 50 goals in a team like that.
To be fair, Lewa has been outstanding this season. If Bayern win CL, he will definitely win the Ballon D'or too, which I think he totally deserves.

But yes, Ronaldo has been great this season too, even better than his previous season in Juventus. He has scored total 28 goals in 37 games for Juventus so far, and 11 goals in 6 international games for Portugal during Euro qualifiers. That's total 39 goals in 43 games overall in all competitions for clubs and country. Even if you ask me 5 or 6 years ago if Ronaldo could still do that when he is 35, I'd have doubt that.

Last edited:

cyberman

To be fair, Lewa has been outstanding this season. If Bayern win CL, he will definitely win the Ballon D'or too, which I think he totally deserves.
Bayern wont win the CL. The gap between competitive games is just too big.
Im expecting Chelsea to give them a scare in the return leg.

Scarecrow

Having a week off

He’s taking more shots per game than Lewandowski or anyone else in Europe.

MrEleson

He could be taking those shots from the half way line for all we know. Doesn’t indicate chance creation. I think I saw a metric some months ago that showed he received the fewest clear cut chances out of all the top strikers in Europe including Immobile, Lewandowski, Benzema etc. Think he had received 10-12 less big chances than Immobile and Lewandowski. Based on that, I’d say it’s pretty crazy he has 24 league goals.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He could be taking those shots from the half way line for all we know. Doesn’t indicate chance creation. I think I saw a metric some months ago that showed he received the fewest clear cut chances out of all the top strikers in Europe including Immobile, Lewandowski, Benzema etc. Think he had received 10-12 less big chances than Immobile and Lewandowski. Based on that, I’d say it’s pretty crazy he has 24 league goals.
For such cases, there's expected goals. Cristiano's value says that he overperformed by 3.63 goals. That's very, very good. Last season, he underperformed by 2.32 goals as a comparison. Lewandowski last season exemplarily underperformed by 11 goals (that was atrocious to be fair). This season he's much better and outperformed his expected goals by 2.8 but still worse than Cristiano.

I know it's not the thread for this but as a side note: Cristiano this season is extremely close to Messi, by the way. The latter is currently at an overperformance of 3.62, so 0.01 behind Cristiano. He finished the last two season on a outperformances of 10.0 and 10.11 so was otherworldy from 17-19. Ronaldo on the other hand seemed always to be more about chance creation than clinical finishing since he has a habit of underperforming his xG during his time at Madrid if I'm not mistaken. This speaks for him becoming much more clinical in a Juve squad that creates less for him.

By the way, I've just seen the goal. What a hit

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It's not easy to play with a Ronaldo who desperately wants to score rather than win. However, he still has all the tools to be a top striker and I have no doubt he'd score close to what he used to at Madrid if he had the same team.
Do people believe this?

SportingCP96

Supports
Juve dont create that much so I'm not surprised.

This isn't a knock on Lewa who is world class and a fabulous player but Ronaldo is just a far superior player and if he is playing in Bayern instead of Lewa he probably has more goals then Lewa does now.

RedStarUnited

I mean....He had 3 months off.

With age its the lack of rest that kills.

MrEleson

Think him and Messi have completely revolutionised the meaning of the word longevity. Previously, players like Giggs, Scholes et al. were lauded for being useful squad players for top teams deep into their 30s but Ronaldo and Messi have taken that 2-3 steps further by still being the very best in their roles and most important player on their respective teams despite their advanced ages.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Think him and Messi have completely revolutionised the meaning of the word longevity. Previously, players like Giggs, Scholes et al. were lauded for being useful squad players for top teams deep into their 30s but Ronaldo and Messi have taken that 2-3 steps further by still being the very best in their roles and most important player on their respective teams despite their advanced ages.
Personally, I think its Ronaldo that is keeping Messi going right now. We know that these two drive off each other, but Messi now needs Ronaldo more than Ronaldo needs Messi. Similarly, when they were younger it was the other way around.

Righteous Steps

Juve dont create that much so I'm not surprised.

This isn't a knock on Lewa who is world class and a fabulous player but Ronaldo is just a far superior player and if he is playing in Bayern instead of Lewa he probably has more goals then Lewa does now.
No he wouldn’t... Lewandowski is matching the tallies Ronaldo was putting up 5-6 years ago, he has 34 goals in 31 Bundesliga games, he could match it at most, but considering he is being outscored by Immobile I don’t see a world where a 34 year old Ronaldo is doing far better than that.

SportingCP96

Supports
No he wouldn’t... Lewandowski is matching the tallies Ronaldo was putting up 5-6 years ago, he has 34 goals in 31 Bundesliga games, he could match it at most, but considering he is being outscored by Immobile I don’t see a world where a 34 year old Ronaldo is doing far better than that.
In a team that creates no chances and does not attack. Lewa has never and will never reach the heights Ronaldo and Messi did.

Put Cristiano Ronaldo in Bayern in place of Lewa and his numbers are either the same or better. He is a far superior finisher and an overall better player as well know.

Ronaldo has 24 goals in 25 games. He has 40 in all comps...at 34....the man has not lost a step.

SportingCP96

Supports
Personally, I think its Ronaldo that is keeping Messi going right now. We know that these two drive off each other, but Messi now needs Ronaldo more than Ronaldo needs Messi. Similarly, when they were younger it was the other way around.
I agree 100% younger Messi pushed Ronaldo to become the player he became. As was always expected Ronaldo will probably last longer at the highest level but Messi is pushing himself to keep the pace.

Love that last sentence you put, its crazy/beautiful to read about these two greats of the game.

bakalhau

Ronaldo is just destroying Torino's defenders so far today. A joy to watch. His footwork is just insane.

bakalhau

I've been saying for the last 3 years Ronaldo should always hit a curled ball instead of a knuckle one in free kicks. Sure yes, he can still hit them well like that (vs Switzerland) but the guy is pretty good curling it as well.

el3mel

Just checked his goals and surprised he's actually putting in some great numbers. Scored 25 in 26 matches in the league. He also already scored more goals this season (29) than the last one (28) with 5 matches. Don't know how many pens though but these aren't numbers of a finished player.

SportingCP96

Supports
Just checked his goals and surprised he's actually putting in some great numbers. Scored 25 in 26 matches in the league. He also already scored more goals this season (29) than the last one (28) with 5 matches. Don't know how many pens though but these aren't numbers of a finished player.
He was never finished. Not only does he have 29 goals for Juve this season but he has 40 goals in total for the season club and country.

At 35 years old?! Absolutely mental stats.

There truly has never been a player like Ronaldo in the history of the sport.

Absolute joy to watch him!

el3mel

He was never finished. Not only does he have 29 goals for Juve this season but he has 40 goals in total for the season club and country.

At 35 years old?! Absolutely mental stats.

There truly has never been a player like Ronaldo in the history of the sport.

Absolute joy to watch him!
Yeah these are some great numbers here. I thought they will be much lower with how I see a lot on the social media thinking he's done and such.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Yeah these are some great numbers here. I thought they will be much lower with how I see a lot on the social media thinking he's done and such.
People have a short memory span these days, and it's easier to criticise others online to feel better about yourself. Ronaldo was getting the praise be deserved up until February, and then we had the extended break due to the pandemic, and people reverted to criticising him.

bakalhau

It's way more impressive that he's on 25 goals, 1 goal per game, in the league with the worst service he's gotten since 09/10 than a couple of his 40 goals a season in Madrid. Sure yeah, 40 goals is more impressive but I genuinely, having seen his teams play for 15 years, have no idea how he's on track for 32-35 league goals this season with the kind of football Juve have played.

Reactions: van der star

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Juve was the worst team to go for him. The attacking talent is shambolic under the guidance of Mr. Sarri.

Hope this guy gets sacked and they get an attacking manager.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It's way more impressive that he's on 25 goals, 1 goal per game, in the league with the worst service he's gotten since 09/10 than a couple of his 40 goals a season in Madrid. Sure yeah, 40 goals is more impressive but I genuinely, having seen his teams play for 15 years, have no idea how he's on track for 32-35 league goals this season with the kind of football Juve have played.
Well he is more or less on his own if people seen how dreadful Juventus attack was, and how lack of service he has from Juventus midfield. I've seen him making alot of good runs during a match, but just for his teammates to circulate the pass back to their defenders during an attack move, instead of taking a more adventurous approach. But you know, its Italian football and Juventus way of playing, they have always been playing this way in the past many decades. So its no surprise Ronaldo 25 league goals this season is actually the best record among all Juventus forwards since 1961, which is insane. As you know, Juventus has always been a football giant in Italy, but yet none of their forwards could manage to do that in Serie A in past 59 years, other than a 35 year old Ronaldo.

But having scored over 700 goals in his career, I don't think there's much a problem for him for finding goals by himself. I think all he need to do is to stay fit and maintain his high level of form/fitness, which he has been doing all the time, but he is 35 afterall.

Last edited:

shahzy

Why not need each other and play with each other before they retire. Would actually be amazing. I dont even care which team tbh. Just do it

meamth

The Jordan of Football?

I'd think so. The guy is an alpha player, doesn't matter how good you are he will try to be better than you.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
How many tries (for Juventus)?
Probably around 40 attempts? no idea. He always has highest goal attempts and relatively poor goal conversion rate. Its always been his style of playing, as he just shoot from all types of difficult angles/distance most of the time, where others would have make a pass or cross it instead. But his freekick has been rather poor and regress alot in recent years. But saying that he hasn't been taking alot of direct freekick recently, he just let his teammates to share it instead, maybe he know he is no longer very good at it.

But out of all current players, he still has scored most no. of freekick goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.