Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEleson

With all things considered, I feel he should leave Juve but at the same time I don't think it would look good for his "GOAT" level status. The great Cristiano Ronaldo jumping ship and quitting when the going got tough. I don't think that's his character either. He'll likely stay to try and win Juve that elusive CL title and his 6th in total. He'll then likely end up retiring there or going back to sporting for one last dance.

Suedesi

Starstruck fans are happy of course, he is still a top 5 player and the idol of many million people worldwide. I am also sure Agnelli appreciates the commercial boost. That said, it is becoming stale like a mid-life convenience marriage and both parties need a fresh start (if the small, irrelevant, monies elephant in tne room is sorted out). If you ask me, I can say that Pirlo and then Tevez were much more instrumental in the footballing department. Allegri is still maligned but he did not get an invitation to his two CL finals, and both games were 1-1 after 60 minutes, not exactly a coaching catastrophe, you know? Fine margins separate winners and losers on the pitch (think of Atletico going even nearer to that much wanted and deserved CL medal, still both times defeated as well, after ET or penalties). Football is more and more entertainment instead of a sport, so who cares once the accounting department is happy? Well, football fans still care, so a fresh start would be welcome, also to drop the ongoing circus surrounding this player. Juventus as a club is bigger than any player because of the very long list of stars and superstars having played for them, so just cut off this sunset boulevard and move on, a new instalment is badly needed.
Prophetic - I was discussing with my cousin who's a Juventino since the early 80's and he said pretty much the same thing. He can't stand Ronaldo and the way Juve are playing this year.

Suedesi

What a complete waste

Starting the biggest game of the season next to a finished Higuain and freaking Bernardeschi and ending the game playing with Olivieri(who?)... Juve better spend some money this summer that's for sure.

Losing to Lyon isn't as bad as what would have happened to them if they played City so the result ends up being the best thing about this incredibly depressing Juve season.
Therein lies the problem, when Ronaldo takes home a huge percentage of their budget. Money doesn't grow on trees, so Ronaldo being there means Juve can't buy some decent midfielders. Ronaldo is a great player but it's a team game and he's eaten most of the salary cap to use an American expression.

This is to the surprise of absolutely no one who's followed Juve, their midfield used to boast Pirlo, Pogba, Vidal and Marchisio now it's got and out-of-the-door Pjanic, always-injured Khedira, past-it Matuidi, an out of sorts Rabiot and some other utility players. No creativity whatsoever in the middle of the park. It's been Ronaldo and Dybala bailing them out time and time again after getting dominated by many midfields in Serie A.

Juve won't win anything without getting rid of Ronaldo.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Fisr half of 15-16

Messi was injured at the start of the season, Neymar ran the show, 4-0 vs Real Madrid included and 15 goals in the first half of the league plus a bunch of assists and awesome performances, Ronaldo had 14 goals, less assists and way less importance in the build up of his team compared to Ney.

It's absurd to say Neymar has never been better than Ronaldo for a set period of weeks or even months in the last 5 years. Season wise that's another story, with his injuries and playing in the Ligue 1 he's never going to be put at top 3 in the world again unless he wins the UCL or a WC.

If you want to see Neymar clawing a team back from a bad first leg, you just need to watch the 6-1 vs PSG. He may not have scored the 6 goals in that game, but he was the best player on the pitch by far, everything that happened that day, had his touch behind it
Ronaldo is currently top 3 in the world :lol:

Ronaldo, Messi, Lewa.

SportingCP96

Supports
With all things considered, I feel he should leave Juve but at the same time I don't think it would look good for his "GOAT" level status. The great Cristiano Ronaldo jumping ship and quitting when the going got tough. I don't think that's his character either. He'll likely stay to try and win Juve that elusive CL title and his 6th in total. He'll then likely end up retiring there or going back to sporting for one last dance.
I could see this happening for sure. Ronaldo is going to stay.

That to me is also why Messi for me could not be the best. He legit quit on his country.

SportingCP96

Supports
It's quite incredible to think back three weeks ago when the Ballon d'Or was cancelled this year and Ronaldo fans all over social media were up in arms about him getting robbed or something. If there was a Ballon d'Or, he wouldn't even deserve top 5. He's had an awful Champions League campaign and has less than 25 goals without penalties for Juventus.

He might not even win the Dubai d'Or this year with the way he's performed.
Your high. Not even top 5?

Have you been watching football this year?

SportingCP96

Supports
I don't think so. I also don't think this proves anything about either player but just don't think Barca is anywhere near as bad as this Juve squad.
Barca would run circles around Juve.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The double standards of Ronaldo fans in here is just too much.

When Portugal win the Euros with Ronaldo on the sidelines for the final, he deserves the credit for leading his team on.

When Messi scores twice and sets up at least 5-6 good chances against Liverpool but Barcelona lose 4-3 on aggregate, he's a bottler.

When Ronaldo scores two goals (one from a ridiculous penalty) but does little else over two legs against fricking Lyon, he can't be blamed since he didn't perform badly and it must be everyone else's fault.

Not so easy for him without all those overrated bums from Madrid that Ronaldo fans have spent the last several years slagging off and belittling.
Clearly didn't see the game. Also smashing a penalty into row Z is a bit different than falling short of a comeback hattrick second time in a row.

SportingCP96

Supports
Almost forgot to mention he broke a 100 year old record for Juventus.

37 goals in one season for a Juve Player.

Hope he keeps breaking records there and they add some real quality to their team.

Suedesi

I think he should join Sporting Clube de Portugal and win a Portuguese title with them.

That would be awesome instead of whoring himself to PSG or whatever.

SportingCP96

Supports
I think he should join Sporting Clube de Portugal and win a Portuguese title with them.

That would be awesome instead of whoring himself to PSG or whatever.
LMAOOO

trust me mate even god himself with Jesus playing behind him would win the title at Sporting.

SportingCP96

Supports
Cristiano Ronaldo has 67 career Champions League knockout stage goals. The next two closest players (Messi and Muller) have 67 KO stage goals combined @ESPNFC

He truly does own the CL. That is fecking remarkable. No one is close to him ever in the knockout stages.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
The double standards of Ronaldo fans in here is just too much.

When Portugal win the Euros with Ronaldo on the sidelines for the final, he deserves the credit for leading his team on.

When Messi scores twice and sets up at least 5-6 good chances against Liverpool but Barcelona lose 4-3 on aggregate, he's a bottler.

When Ronaldo scores two goals (one from a ridiculous penalty) but does little else over two legs against fricking Lyon, he can't be blamed since he didn't perform badly and it must be everyone else's fault.

Not so easy for him without all those overrated bums from Madrid that Ronaldo fans have spent the last several years slagging off and belittling.
The guy you worship is a ghost in the CL knockout rounds compared to Ronaldo.

Never compare Messi's bottle compared to Ronaldo's when it comes to knockout rounds and clutch moments. Cristiano absolutely dwarfes the midget.

Not to mention Ronaldo has as many CL titles as Barcelona as a whole.

ti vu

Therein lies the problem, when Ronaldo takes home a huge percentage of their budget. Money doesn't grow on trees, so Ronaldo being there means Juve can't buy some decent midfielders. Ronaldo is a great player but it's a team game and he's eaten most of the salary cap to use an American expression.

This is to the surprise of absolutely no one who's followed Juve, their midfield used to boast Pirlo, Pogba, Vidal and Marchisio now it's got and out-of-the-door Pjanic, always-injured Khedira, past-it Matuidi, an out of sorts Rabiot and some other utility players. No creativity whatsoever in the middle of the park. It's been Ronaldo and Dybala bailing them out time and time again after getting dominated by many midfields in Serie A.

Juve won't win anything without getting rid of Ronaldo.
I don't understand your point here.

I meant you know Juve spent very little to acquire Pirlo, Pogba and Vidal. Not different to how they got their midfield nowadays. Juventus loves them free agents. Only different is what kind of quality available with their approach. Before Ronaldo, they spent 90mil or something on fecking Higuain, yet still being cheap on midfield purchases.

The head coach position is the issue with Juventus. Allegri had issues with players and the higher up way way before Ronaldo finally left Madrid. It's unfortunate that all the tension built up led to Allegri to leave Juventus after Ronaldo joined for one season. Sarri was exposed during his Chelsea tenure as bad man manager, and lack ability command respect from the players. It's confirmed further now after a season with Juventus. He has this Juventus team going backward. It's the team, and Ronaldo to carry Juventus season via individual ability. Tactical wise, Juventus under Sarri is so disjointing, and vulnerable, which creating & highlighting issues everywhere in the teams. From defense to attack and midfield.It feels worse than it actually is. Last season, they ain't this bad.

Blaming Ronaldo is just weird. Without Ronaldo, this Sarri Juventus, wouldn't have won Serie A.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think Ronaldo should leave Juventus next season, their style of play is totally different and not match at all, its really a pain to watch a 35 year old Ronaldo making those runs in an attack move whereas his teammates end up circulating the ball back to their own half most of the time.

Is he a failure in Juventus though? He won 2 serie A titles in 2 years, become the fastest ever player to score 50 goals in Serie A, and broke Juventus 100 years record for most goals scored in a season, I think he hasn't done too bad at all. But he didn't win CL with Juventus, I know its almost mission impossible, but its still a pity.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I meant you know Juve spent very little to acquire Pirlo, Pogba and Vidal. Not different to how they got their midfield nowadays. Juventus loves them free agents. Only different is what kind of quality available with their approach. Before Ronaldo, they spent 90mil or something on fecking Higuain, yet still being cheap on midfield purchases.

The head coach position is the issue with Juventus. Allegri had issues with players and the higher up way way before Ronaldo finally left Madrid. It's unfortunate that all the tension built up led to Allegri to leave Juventus after Ronaldo joined for one season. Sarri was exposed during his Chelsea tenure as bad man manager, and lack ability command respect from the players. It's confirmed further now after a season with Juventus. He has this Juventus team going backward. It's the team, and Ronaldo to carry Juventus season via individual ability. Tactical wise, Juventus under Sarri is so disjointing, and vulnerable, which creating & highlighting issues everywhere in the teams. From defense to attack and midfield.It feels worse than it actually is. Last season, they ain't this bad.

Blaming Ronaldo is just weird. Without Ronaldo, this Sarri Juventus, wouldn't have won Serie A.

I don't think he is blaming Ronaldo per se, just listing the cons of having a player like him.

ti vu

I don't think he is blaming Ronaldo per se, just listing the cons of having a player like him.
The conclusion sentence in his post is quite strong. As if Ronaldo would prevent teams to win trophies.

I did my bit of explaining: Juventus bin diving shopping for midfielder, the head coach situation, Sarri made Juventus worse...

DevilRed

Juve and the serie a are a bunch of pub teams that have the likes of young and Sanchez as their better players. Just speaks volumes as to the quality of that league.

Juve were never really good anyways. Even in our worse year we did them in Italy fielding a shocking team made up of mata and a bunch of other fringe players.

Ronaldo is in the right league for someone his age, but unless juve spend 200m+ they won’t be challenging for Europe anytime soon. The free transfer policy of signing up all the premier league rejects is not exactly working.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The conclusion sentence in his post is quite strong. As if Ronaldo would prevent teams to win trophies.

I did my bit of explaining: Juventus bin diving shopping for midfielder, the head coach situation, Sarri made Juventus worse...
I don't disagree, he isn't to blame directly himself but his presence, along with some stupid managerial and coaching decisions will prevent Juventus from winning the CL. They won't even come close to winning without him, in the next 5-10 years

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't disagree, he isn't to blame directly himself but his presence, along with some stupid managerial and coaching decisions will prevent Juventus from winning the CL. They won't even come close to winning without him, in the next 5-10 years
Why won't Juve come close to winning without him? And that too over a long timespan of 10 years. Seems a bit much given they are one of the contenders every year.

Suedesi

My point is clear - Juventus have spent heavily on Ronaldo (and Higuain before him) while totally ignoring the middle of the park. As a result, the creativity is simply not there. The signs were evident last year as well with Allegri - some teams like Lazio, Atalanta, Genoa etc completely dominated Juve like never before. The midfield is in shambles and unless they invest heavily to address that, they are fecked. Their last great midfield was largely constructed by Beppe Marrota (and Conte somewhat), both of whom are now at Inter.

With Juve having to spend another $170 million or so on Ronaldo over the next two years (amortization of the contract + salary) they can't address the more pressing squad issues. They completely miscalculated - they thought Ronaldo would be the missing piece, only to find out they were missing a lot more pieces.

PS I'm not blaming Ronaldo - he's held his part of the bargain so far, although I don't feel bad for him.

ti vu

Why won't Juve come close to winning without him? And that too over a long timespan of 10 years. Seems a bit much given they are one of the contenders every year.
Juventus overall squad was at the end of a cycle. They gambled with big fee signing trying to pull one over on last stretch. If project CR fails, it would take some time for a rebuild of a team at similar level. Milan, Inter are getting investment, and look like heading the right way. Other clubs in different leagues also in progress of rebuild, so plenty of competition in the market. Easier to to end up with Emre Can, Rabiot, Ramsey than Pirlo, Pogba.

Last edited:

ti vu

My point is clear - Juventus have spent heavily on Ronaldo (and Higuain before him) while totally ignoring the middle of the park. As a result, the creativity is simply not there. The signs were evident last year as well with Allegri - some teams like Lazio, Atalanta, Genoa etc completely dominated Juve like never before. The midfield is in shambles and unless they invest heavily to address that, they are fecked. Their last great midfield was largely constructed by Beppe Marrota (and Conte somewhat), both of whom are now at Inter.

With Juve having to spend another $170 million or so on Ronaldo over the next two years (amortization of the contract + salary) they can't address the more pressing squad issues. They completely miscalculated - they thought Ronaldo would be the missing piece, only to find out they were missing a lot more pieces.

PS I'm not blaming Ronaldo - he's held his part of the bargain so far, although I don't feel bad for him.
Fair response.

They did reinforce their midfield this season the Juventus way with Rabiot and Ramsey.The year before with Emre Can. It looks like Juventus tried to squeeze the most of out their so called veteran midfielders.It's miscalculation alright. However, that has to do with plenty of hindsight. When they lost out to Madrid, the difference is Ronaldo. Their pretty much same midfield with the right tactic can hold itself.

This season with head coach change, perhaps, Juventus was too naive to trust Sarriball, to gel their veteran as well as the new midfielders?! Just to end up looking disjoint and issue everywhere.

While on paper it looks like it's tough for Juventus to balance the book, and invest in new midfielders, let's just wait and see how it pans. Juventus and their shady way of dealing, especially with other Italian clubs, it's not always grimm for Juventus the way it looks.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Your high. Not even top 5?

Have you been watching football this year?
He's just about been a top 5 player in the world, but he wouldn't deserve top 5 in the Ballon d'Or given how much CL performance and collective success factor in. He's been dreadful in the Champions League and Juve going out to Lyon in the R16 is a disaster given that this competition has been their priority since signing him.

Lewandowski had a similar season last year and finished 8th.

Messi, De Bruyne, and Lewandowski are all certainly ahead of him this season. Benzema, Ramos, and Van Dijk have a case as well.

1-2 other players from whichever team wins the Champions League could also go above him.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Clearly didn't see the game. Also smashing a penalty into row Z is a bit different than falling short of a comeback hattrick second time in a row.
I did actually

He had some good moments in the second half yesterday, but not enough to say he performed very well over the tie given how ineffective he was for the first 135 minutes. Messi's performances against Liverpool were streets better and against much tougher opposition, yet he was still criticized heavily.

Suedesi

Fair response.

They did reinforce their midfield this season the Juventus way with Rabiot and Ramsey.The year before with Emre Can. It looks like Juventus tried to squeeze the most of out their so called veteran midfielders.It's miscalculation alright. However, that has to do with plenty of hindsight. When they lost out to Madrid, the difference is Ronaldo. Their pretty much same midfield with the right tactic can hold itself.

This season with head coach change, perhaps, Juventus was too naive to trust Sarriball, to gel their veteran as well as the new midfielders?! Just to end up looking disjoint and issue everywhere.

While on paper it looks like it's tough for Juventus to balance the book, and invest in new midfielders, let's just wait and see how it pans. Juventus and their shady way of dealing, especially with other Italian clubs, it's not always grimm for Juventus the way it looks.
It's not that simple just blaming Sarri. Juve bought de Ligt and Demiral and then stopped the mercato altogether. They couldn't sell Higuain, Khedira, Mandzukic and they tried forcing the sale of Dybala to raise any money. It was beyond idiotic. You can't blame Sarri if you're not giving him the players he needs - and Juve is eating itself as demonstrated by trying to flog their second best (and younger) player to raise money to afford their old superstar.

feck Chelsea btw - Sarri's experience there is not representative of his worth as a coach. He still won a European trophy there.

amolbhatia50k

They are only contenders on paper. Their squad is aging. They never got close to winning it in a while.
If you tend to make the last 8 you are contenders. Would be interested in seeing how many times they made it to the quarters in the 8 years or so

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Starstruck fans are happy of course, he is still a top 5 player and the idol of many million people worldwide. I am also sure Agnelli appreciates the commercial boost. That said, it is becoming stale like a mid-life convenience marriage and both parties need a fresh start (if the small, irrelevant, monies elephant in tne room is sorted out). If you ask me, I can say that Pirlo and then Tevez were much more instrumental in the footballing department. Allegri is still maligned but he did not get an invitation to his two CL finals, and both games were 1-1 after 60 minutes, not exactly a coaching catastrophe, you know? Fine margins separate winners and losers on the pitch (think of Atletico going even nearer to that much wanted and deserved CL medal, still both times defeated as well, after ET or penalties). Football is more and more entertainment instead of a sport, so who cares once the accounting department is happy? Well, football fans still care, so a fresh start would be welcome, also to drop the ongoing circus surrounding this player. Juventus as a club is bigger than any player because of the very long list of stars and superstars having played for them, so just cut off this sunset boulevard and move on, a new instalment is badly needed.
Interesting analysis, also how do you feel about these Ronaldo fans who love to shit on other Juve players just to elevate Ronaldo?

Btw I agree with your analysis. I think the commercial boost is good but with or without Ronaldo they would have won the league, he was signed to win CL which didn't happen.

DarkLord

I highly disagree with this but its your opinion so It is what it is.

All I will say though is if you put Neymar in Juve vs Atletico in the second leg instead of Ronaldo or even in Juve today vs Lyon he would not have that ability to claw a team back the way Ronaldo does on such a constant basis.

We also have to remember Neymar is in France... He has yet to lead a team and has proven nothing in the biggest stages when I matters most (I guess you can put 2015 in there but that was an insane lineup.

They just aren't comparable IMO.
He basically singlehandedly led Barcelona to the Remotanda against PSG ironically. Just because he is playing in a weaker league where his team is superior to all the other 19 opponents doesn't mean he is not capable of this feat.

cyberman

Interesting analysis, also how do you feel about these Ronaldo fans who love to shit on other Juve players just to elevate Ronaldo?

Btw I agree with your analysis. I think the commercial boost is good but with or without Ronaldo they would have won the league, he was signed to win CL which didn't happen.
I dont think they win this years league without Ronaldo. He is papering over so many cracks that ill be shocked he isnt fuming about moving there at all.

manuchamp88

Let's say Cristiano agreed to spend 1 more season with Juve. Let's also say Juve agreed to a mutual termination of his contract this season only to resign him a month later. Why? So he can resign for us for a month and help us win the 1 trophy he's missing.

Would this be legal?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I dont think they win this years league without Ronaldo. He is papering over so many cracks that ill be shocked he isnt fuming about moving there at all.
His transfer + wages probably also hamper investment into the team. Anyway I think he should go to PSG. If a 35 year old Zlatan can score 50 there, then a 36 year old Ronaldo can score 60.

amolbhatia50k

Not in the real world, many teams can luck their way to the QFs. It doesn't make them genuine contenders.
Juventus don't luck their way into the Quarters. They're always among the best 8 teams in Europe. Often along the best 4 or 2. They aren't some minnows who get to the knockout stages once in awhile. They're more of contenders than City or PSG are, usually. Seems you only consider Madrid and Liverpool contenders or something in this so called real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.