Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Juventus don't luck their way into the Quarters. They're always among the best 8 teams in Europe. Often along the best 4 or 2. They aren't some minnows who get to the knockout stages once in awhile. They're more of contenders than City or PSG are, usually. Seems you only consider Madrid and Liverpool contenders or something in this so called real world.
And in this so-called real world I'm proven right as Juve are nowhere near contending for the CL, only on paper and videogames.

manutdrphenomenal

Talent aside, Ronaldo is a very lucky. Things will work out for him. Plus he is not a quitter so he will keep going. Take Real Madrid as example. He went to a team that had absolutely no chance of overcoming Barcelona. He did that. Then they kept getting knocked out of CL but he kept going and in the end leads Madrid to 3 in a row. Then he had fallen behind Messi in the WPOTY titles and caught up with that too.

ReallyUSA

And in this so-called real world I'm proven right as Juve are nowhere near contending for the CL, only on paper and videogames.
I think he's saying overall recently. They have been further than both teams

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Talent aside, Ronaldo is a very lucky. Things will work out for him. Plus he is not a quitter so he will keep going. Take Real Madrid as example. He went to a team that had absolutely no chance of overcoming Barcelona. He did that. Then they kept getting knocked out of CL but he kept going and in the end leads Madrid to 3 in a row. Then he had fallen behind Messi in the WPOTY titles and caught up with that too.
Why is he lucky?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah like Real Madrid who aren't contenders either because they went out once early.

Juve have in the last 4 heads been runners up once and had 3 quarter final exits. Before that they've again made semis and reached finals. In this decade they've clearly been one of the contenders for the CL. They've declined post Allegri or since the last year or so of his time there, but it's a bit much writing them off as some on paper big team when they're clearly among the best 4-8 teams (depending on form) in Europe, as much as people want to call their squad useless.

What they need is a quality manager to give them a sharper identity and cohesiveness. For example I heard that Juve fans only care about winning, and it doesn't matter how well they play. That rarely works out well. You have to work on excellence first and foremost.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think so. I also don't think this proves anything about either player but just don't think Barca is anywhere near as bad as this Juve squad.
The current Barcelona side finished second to an average Madrid side. They will probably get eliminated by Napoli too. They’re fecking terrible

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
The current Barcelona side finished second to an average Madrid side. They will probably get eliminated by Napoli too. They’re fecking terrible
And Juventus barely won the league they utterly dominate against a team featuring Young, Sanchez and Lukaku.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And Juventus barely won the league they utterly dominate against a team featuring Young, Sanchez and Lukaku.
And? I didn’t say Barcelona are worse than Juventus. I stated previously that Barcelona run them close

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Barely? They won it in round 32 - at one point during season they were 9points clear despite not being 1st for 18 rounds. They didn't give a crap about the last 3 games that's why there's only 1 point difference.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Barely? They won it in round 32 - at one point during season they were 9points clear . They didn't give a crap about the last 3 games that's why there's only 1 point difference.
I stand corrected, wasnt aware that they secured it that early.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah like Real Madrid who aren't contenders either because they went out once early.

Juve have in the last 4 heads been runners up once and had 3 quarter final exits. Before that they've again made semis and reached finals. In this decade they've clearly been one of the contenders for the CL. They've declined post Allegri or since the last year or so of his time there, but it's a bit much writing them off as some on paper big team when they're clearly among the best 4-8 teams (depending on form) in Europe, as much as people want to call their squad useless.

What they need is a quality manager to give them a sharper identity and cohesiveness. For example I heard that Juve fans only care about winning, and it doesn't matter how well they play. That rarely works out well. You have to work on excellence first and foremost.
Real Madrid stopped being a serious contender since Ronaldo left them. I'll stick by my words, Juventus will not win the CL in the next 5 years and possibly more. Unless they start to massively bribe European refs that is

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Just rewatched his performance. Think he looked quite sharp overall on top of his two goals - better than some of his lauded matches for Madrid, tbh. So he did his job, not to blame for the loss over both ties.

But the reactions in this thread are hilarious. If his fans were consequent in their assessments of players, they would have to call him a bottler now.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He basically singlehandedly led Barcelona to the Remotanda against PSG ironically. Just because he is playing in a weaker league where his team is superior to all the other 19 opponents doesn't mean he is not capable of this feat.
He has not shown it. PSG game is the only one which comes to mind.

He does not have that "thing" when it comes to games likes these.

last year and this year the only reason Juve had a chance to make the comeback is because they had Ronaldo on their team. He has that Jordan like mentality that you cant teach. You either have it or you dont and he most certainly does.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I stand corrected, wasnt aware that they secured it that early.
They won in round 36, effectively in round 34, practically in round 32. That it took them until round 36 to make it official was a big indicator that things weren't going well
Real Madrid stopped being a serious contender since Ronaldo left them. I'll stick by my words, Juventus will not win the CL in the next 5 years and possibly more. Unless they start to massively bribe European refs that is
We wouldn't have been contenders even if he didn't leave, just like juventus haven't been contenders with him. Don't mix correlation with causation

Juventus could absolutely win the CL the season after he leaves, if they can build a CL-winning caliber side

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Just rewatched his performance. Think he looked quite sharp overall on top of his two goals - better than some of his lauded matches for Madrid, tbh. So he did his job, not to blame for the loss over both ties.

But the reactions in this thread are hilarious. If his fans were consequent in their assessments of players, they would have to call him a bottler now.
Not at all similar. His team needed 3 goals to go through and he scored 2/3 and provided a half goal assist to Higuain.

He didn't shy away from the moment and disappear from the match. In these games when his team needs him most he is ALWAYS there. The reason Messi has earned that title is multiple times in his career when his team needs him most he says away and vanishes. Back to back season his team had 3-0 leads and they along with him shat the bed the second leg. You need to provide moments of magic in games like that.

Ronaldos second goal was just that, He put them within striking distance. Last season he did it and scored the 3 and this year he was whiskers away. He held up his end of the bargain.

* If he would of done it back to back which he was so close to doing then It would have been proof aliens exist :lol:

As for Juve

SELL: Higuain, Bernadeshi, matuidi, Danilo, Ramsey (his contract is absurd for a player who has been average his whole career bar a few seasons), Khedira, Betancur.

Use those funds to acquire REAL quality. Maybe bring in Thiago on a free as well.

They have the funds and they have the allure to bring in better players.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not at all similar. His team needed 3 goals to go through and he scored 2/3 and provided a half goal assist to Higuain.

He didn't shy away from the moment and disappear from the match. In these games when his team needs him most he is ALWAYS there. The reason Messi has earned that title is multiple times in his career when his team needs him most he says away and vanishes. Back to back season his team had 3-0 leads and they along with him shat the bed the second leg. You need to provide moments of magic in games like that.

Ronaldos second goal was just that, He put them within striking distance. Last season he did it and scored the 3 and this year he was whiskers away. He held up his end of the bargain.

* If he would of done it back to back which he was so close to doing then It would have been proof aliens exist :lol:

As for Juve

SELL: Higuain, Bernadeshi, matuidi, Danilo, Ramsey (his contract is absurd for a player who has been average his whole career bar a few seasons), Khedira, Betancur.

Use those funds to acquire REAL quality. Maybe bring in Thiago on a free as well.

They have the funds and they have the allure to bring in better players.

Bullshit. No amount of mental gymnastics justify such completely different assessments. This is cognitive dissonance at it's finest, my friend, and you aren't even realizing it.

Bole Top

hehe, sometimes I wish I was mean enough to search for some older posts when I see what certain posters are writing now. Messi was being called failure and bottler after being better than him in both away and home game against much stronger team than Lyon. those same posters are now blaming everyone else even though Ronaldo himself did nothing in that 1-0 away loss bar one good cross in first half and yesterday woke up only in second half. he was invisible until that silly penalty, and until his free kick (the one saved by Lopes) he was on zero shots on goal in about 120 minutes total vs Lyon. good goal in second half won't change that. I also love it how he suddenly needs Neymar and Mbappe to win the CL now and how it doesn't matter how much is Juventus spending on him while ignoring other areas, both arguments being used against Messi not so long ago :drool:

on more serious note, once Sarri is sacked I don't think they are bad as it's being made out. Arthur if he regains hunger and focus will make good midfield with Rabiot and Benta. Ronaldo will keep scoring and we know how good Dyabala is. what they need short term is much better striker (don't really see it in Milik) and obviously much better manager, which will probably be much easier than finding a good striker. I believe they will win Serie A again, as for CL... well, they just need to accept they aren't Barca or Madrid from recent years so they could base their entire season on it.

it also need to be said it's been difficult season for Italian clubs for obvious reasons. Juve looked "dead" the same way Roma and Inter looked in thursday. everything simply "clicked" against them in the end.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
hehe, sometimes I wish I was mean enough to search for some older posts when I see what certain posters are writing now. Messi was being called failure and bottler after being better than him in both away and home game against much stronger team than Lyon. those same posters are now blaming everyone else even though Ronaldo himself did nothing in that 1-0 away loss bar one good cross in first half and yesterday woke up only in second half. he was invisible until that silly penalty, and until his free kick (the one saved by Lopes) he was on zero shots on goal in about 120 minutes total vs Lyon. good goal in second half won't change that. I also love it how he suddenly needs Neymar and Mbappe to win the CL now and how it doesn't matter how much is Juventus spending on him while ignoring other areas, both arguments being used against Messi not so long ago :drool:

on more serious note, once Sarri is sacked I don't think they are bad as it's being made out. Arthur if he regains hunger and focus will make good midfield with Rabiot and Benta. Ronaldo will keep scoring and we know how good Dyabala is. what they need short term is much better striker (don't really see it in Milik) and obviously much better manager, which will probably be much easier than finding a good striker. I believe they will win Serie A again, as for CL... well, they just need to accept they aren't Barca or Madrid from recent years so they could base their entire season on it.

it also need to be said it's been difficult season for Italian clubs for obvious reasons. Juve looked "dead" the same way Roma and Inter looked in thursday. everything simply "clicked" against them in the end.
It's also funny how Cristiano supposedly made his team mates at Madrid look so much better because it was so easy to create chances for him. Just cross it roughly in his direction from anywhere on the field and he would magically make the ball end up in the back of the net. Apparently that was enough to compensate his underwhelming overall contribution back then.

Well, so much for that. Turns out he in fact is dependent on his team mates, who would've thought.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's also funny how Cristiano supposedly made his team mates at Madrid look so much better because it was so easy to create chances for him. Just cross it roughly in his direction from anywhere on the field and he would magically make the ball end up in the back of the net. Apparently that was enough to compensate his underwhelming overall contribution back then.

Well, so much for that. Turns out he in fact is dependent on his team mates, who would've thought.
You’re actually using a 35 year old, relatively immobile Ronaldo to counter a point made about him when he was a rapid 24-30 year old with unbelievable movement?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'm sorry, there was never a thing like Real Madrid as having no chance of overcoming Barca. They went full Galatico the summer they signed Ronaldo together with Benzema, Kaka and Xabi Alonso etc. And all the players they added in the following windows and brought in Mourinho in his prime. They managed to win more CL's in the end during Ronaldo's stay, but only won La Liga twice. Obviously Ronaldo was the star player in those Real Madrid teams, but those are some the best squads I have ever seen. They were bound to win something.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You’re actually using a 35 year old, relatively immobile Ronaldo to counter a point made about him when he was a rapid 24-30 year old with unbelievable movement?
No.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Interesting analysis, also how do you feel about these Ronaldo fans who love to shit on other Juve players just to elevate Ronaldo?

Btw I agree with your analysis. I think the commercial boost is good but with or without Ronaldo they would have won the league, he was signed to win CL which didn't happen.
Football forums are clearly a bubble and often detached from reality of business, you will also read the most extreme arguments without their context, which is funny and makes for banter, taking the piss or a bit of sociopathy.

Andrea Agnelli is trying to swap a 100yo club philosophy (the direct emanation of an automotive & engineering firm, aka teamwork + resilience + pluckyness) for a modern, global, entertainment-oriented brand (the new logo + the ageing idol + the media circus). It is an entrepreneural move, as such it can both succeed or fail.

As for the footballing department, Ronaldo was an attempt to final glory after two near-misses in 2015 and 2017 (and yes, Juventus was an actual CL contender from 2014 to 2018, that is to say a legit prospect for a very deep run every given year, not like hitting the jackpot after 10 or 20 or 50 years in the wilderness a la Inter or so many other clubs in the continent), but it came too late, at a time when the trend was already declining.

Ronaldo? Football is a balanced team effort, you cannot have one monster and twenty fools, or one player earning 4x the best of the rest and taking all the shots, making any opportunity for a carousel, etc. Juve was much more juve-ish with people like Lichtsteiner, Vidal and Mandzukic, the plucky and boring 1-0 in-the-bank unit.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Only that’s exactly what your post does, unless you would like to explain it better?
Cristiano won his CL titles with RM aged 29, 31, 32 and 33. Those discussions I mentioned took place shortly before he went to Juve, not when he was in his prime.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
So, to set things straight :

- No, PSG can't afford CR7, unless he takes a ridiculously low salary. Because of Neymar's and Mbappé's transfer, we have to sell players every year to comply with FPF rules

- Neymar is ridiculously underrated here. If fit, i'd keep him any day of the week over Mbappé, or Ronaldo. Most of you guys don't realize how good he is and what he brings to a team, he's an amazing playmaker.

Shiva87

Don't understand the Ronaldo criticism here. He looked like the only player who could do something about the scoreline yesterday, and Lyon did a good job blocking him with 2-3 players every time he had the ball in a shooting position. Yet, he scored a wonder goal.

The failings yesterday was of a system which did not involve multiple attacking treats, and a very very overweight Higuain. If Rooney looked like that at any point of time in his career with us, he would have been written off and ridiculed for lack of professionalism. How Higuain got to start that game with this fitness level is shocking.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Dybala plays his best football as a number 10, right? Now that Sarri is gone how do Juve get the best out of both Ronaldo and Dybala, considering Ronaldo only really plays as a LW in a 433?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Dybala plays his best football as a number 10, right? Now that Sarri is gone how do Juve get the best out of both Ronaldo and Dybala, considering Ronaldo only really plays as a LW in a 433?

Ronaldo and Dybala in partnership. Dybala can play RS or support striker behind Ronaldo which is similar to CAM.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Therein lies the problem, when Ronaldo takes home a huge percentage of their budget. Money doesn't grow on trees, so Ronaldo being there means Juve can't buy some decent midfielders. Ronaldo is a great player but it's a team game and he's eaten most of the salary cap to use an American expression.

This is to the surprise of absolutely no one who's followed Juve, their midfield used to boast Pirlo, Pogba, Vidal and Marchisio now it's got and out-of-the-door Pjanic, always-injured Khedira, past-it Matuidi, an out of sorts Rabiot and some other utility players. No creativity whatsoever in the middle of the park. It's been Ronaldo and Dybala bailing them out time and time again after getting dominated by many midfields in Serie A.

Juve won't win anything without getting rid of Ronaldo.
How is the problem the money they spend on Ronaldo who is their only player in the past years who actually did something for them to get to their goals in Europe rather than the money they spend on Higuaín, Ramsey, Bernardeschi, Douglas Costa, Khedira, etc.

Juve are rich, they have money and they have spent plenty of it since signing Ronaldo. Definitely enough of it to not have as many problems in their squad as they currently do.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Not as number 10, his best position is as second striker. That's a problem with Dybala (it's the same with Griezmann), his best position forces you to play a certain way, you can't really move him around and he's not a verstatile player. He's shit on the wings but very decent when he plays number 10.

Juve has 2 options now :
- build around Ronaldo for the next 2 years, recruiting players that'll do what he doesn't (defend, create chances)
- try to rebuild the team from the ground up without trying to much to accomodate him but i'm not sure it'll serve CR7 because there's obviously a lot of things he can't do anymore.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
The same way they got the best out of them this season, both had great seasons unlike last year when Dybala didn’t really fit the system and got benched very often. They just need more quality around them in order to not have to make goals from nothing on a weekly basis. Someone like Thiago who is available at a great price would be such a huge improvement and take loads of pressure off their shoulders

If those two (Ronaldo and Dybala) start next to Higuaín, Bernardeschi or Ramsey for any consecutive run of games they need to go have a word with the Juve management because at this point it’s sad to watch.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Honestly, they sold the guy who might have been ideal to link them together :lol:

Selling Mandzukic was the stupidest thing they did over the last 2 years

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Honestly, they sold the guy who might have been ideal to link them together :lol:

Selling Mandzukic was the stupidest thing they did over the last 2 years
Mandzukic looked beyond finished after his injury midway through last season. He was fantastic at the start but looked like he could barely run after getting injured. Wasn’t he very bad even in Qatar or wherever he went to?

They lost Chiellini to injury, Khedira to injury, Mandzukic to injury, Demiral to injury, Costa is always injured, Dybala gets to the crucial part of the season and keeps getting injured... that part of it certainly hasn’t helped Juve at all

People talk about how much squad depth they have but if half the squad gets injured for half of the season and it gets to the biggest game of the season and they have to play freaking Olivieri then what’s the point?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mandzukic looked beyond finished after his injury midway through last season. He was fantastic at the start but looked like he could barely run after getting injured. Wasn’t he very bad even in Qatar or wherever he went to?

They lost Chiellini to injury, Khedira to injury, Mandzukic to injury, Demiral to injury, Costa is always injured, Dybala gets to the crucial part of the season and keeps getting injured... that part of it certainly hasn’t helped Juve at all

People talk about how much squad depth they have but if half the squad gets injured for half of the season and it gets to the biggest game of the season and they have to play freaking Olivieri then what’s the point?
Fair enough about Mandzukic

And also yeah, their injury record over the last two seasons has been hilarious

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
honestly if he cares about being remembered as the best ever or at least better than Messi he should just force a move to Napoli and win them the league :D

Status
Not open for further replies.