Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He needs to be a case study.

This guys plays the same as he did 5 years ago. It's remarkable.

If not for Corona you can add probably 5 more goals to his tally for the month he was out.

Father Time is undefeated but Ronaldo looks like he will be taking him to 12 rounds.

SirAF

Ageist

This guys plays the same as he did 5 years ago. It's remarkable.

If not for Corona you can add probably 5 more goals to his tally for the month he was out.

Father Time is undefeated but Ronaldo looks like he will be taking him to 12 rounds.
:devil:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Two goals to overtake Pele
Seven goals to overtake Romario
Fourteen goals to overtake Bican

Seems to be when not if he becomes the top official goalscorer of all time
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_footballers_with_500_or_more_goals

Based on current output this season he will do it before Xmas - I think thats probably not going to happen but who knows ... certainly seems realistic (injury permitting) before the end of the season

SirAF

Ageist
Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
He's 39 behind.
Yes, thats more like it.
There are two different graphs for goals, one for u-19 goals or whatever, then one for senior goals, i believe.

I think the one for senior goals is more relevant.

United58

Yes, thats more like it.
There are two different graphs for goals, one for u-19 goals or whatever, then one for senior goals, i believe.

I think the one for senior goals is more relevant.
Some clown added Messi's underage goals to his Wiki page to get him closer to Ronaldo, and someone did it for Ronaldo too :lol: Ffs we'll be counting training goals next

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Some clown added Messi's underage goals to his Wiki page to get him closer to Ronaldo, and someone did it for Ronaldo too :lol: Ffs we'll be counting training goals next
Ah, the Pele-way of doing things.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
38 goals behind no.1 of all time. May get it done by end of this season.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
38 goals behind no.1 of all time. May get it done by end of this season.
He’s 56 behind.

Bican - 805
Romário- 772
Pelé - 767
Ronaldo - 749

Will only happen in 2022, he should pass Pelé and Romário this season though

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Exciting.That's football history being written. Hope he keeps going until he surpassed the record.

cyberman

Imagine telling people that the skinny winger making his debut v Bolton will win 5 CLs, 5 Balon Dors and will score more goals than anyone else in the history of football.
Madness when you think about it

SportingCP96

Supports
Imagine telling people that the skinny winger making his debut v Bolton will win 5 CLs, 5 Balon Dors and will score more goals than anyone else in the history of football.
Madness when you think about it
And that he will be all time top goal scorer for Real Madrid, for Portugal, all time scorer for national teams, all time scorer of the Uefa Champions league, all time scorer at the Euros, most caps all time for Portugal.

It’s remarkable what he has done really.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Yeah, my bad. I got duped by Wikipedia :mad:
Wiki includes the underage official games for the national teams of players for some reason.
The old players didn't have those but sometimes they had weird stuff too (like Pelé having a goal counted officially in a military team league or something).

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Wiki includes the underage official games for the national teams of players for some reason.
The old players didn't have those but sometimes they had weird stuff too (like Pelé having a goal counted officially in a military team league or something).
Thing with Pele is that the friendlies he plays were at times harder and more prestigious than the competitive ones. Different times back then. When you tell today's people that some of the records published about him included friendlies and that he played his competitive games primarily in Brazil, you'll always get an "oh, how lame" as a reaction when in reality, the Brazilian league was one of the best in the world today and his (European top team) "friendly" opponent's tried kicking him to bits, usually to no avail. That's why it's so hard to compare across eras.

SportingCP96

Supports
Thing with Pele is that the friendlies he plays were at times harder and more prestigious than the competitive ones. Different times back then. When you tell today's people that some of the records published about him included friendlies and that he played his competitive games primarily in Brazil, you'll always get an "oh, how lame" as a reaction when in reality, the Brazilian league was one of the best in the world today and his (European top team) "friendly" opponent's tried kicking him to bits, usually to no avail. That's why it's so hard to compare across eras.
I see your point to an extent but even if you do some digging and see the games in which pele scored a large chunk of those games ended 4-0 5-0 6-0 7-0 etc. They were not competitive games at all.

What Pele was and where he will forever be etched in history is he was the”first” known football star in a time where the game was still very new.

Me personally though (and I know it’s a maybe controversial take but based on research as opposed to putting Pele in just because) in no particular order right now but Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Maradona, Ronaldo (Brazil) are all much superior footballers then Pele.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I see your point to an extent but even if you do some digging and see the games in which pele scored a large chunk of those games ended 4-0 5-0 6-0 7-0 etc. They were not competitive games at all.

What Pele was and where he will forever be etched in history is he was the”first” known football star in a time where the game was still very new.

Me personally though (and I know it’s a maybe controversial take but based on research as opposed to putting Pele in just because) in no particular order right now but Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Maradona, Ronaldo (Brazil) are all much superior footballers then Pele.
Behave, Pele won 3 World Cups, nothing to be sniffed at.

SportingCP96

Supports
Behave, Pele won 3 World Cups, nothing to be sniffed at.
Also worth mentioning he actually won 2 not 3. Well the third has a * over it because he did not even play in that tournament because of injury and it was Garrincha who led Brazil in 62. His first World Cup win Didi was the player of the tournament. In His final win in 71 he was not even the top scorer in that team that was jarzinho.

In other words that team was absolutely stacked and he was not there best player in either of the wins. Also many Brazilians claim Garrincha was the better of the two but Pele had the fame. In Brazil many who saw them play are said to have said Garrincha was superior

also keep in mind I am not saying he is not an all time great because he for sure is but lots of people place him as the “bench mark”on goat tiers but I would take any of the 4 players I mentioned above Pele without even having to think twice about it.

Also I was being nice about the score lines when he played for Santos lots of those games ended 8-0 10-0 11-3 etc.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Also worth mentioning he actually won 2 not 3. Well the third has a * over it because he did not even play in that tournament because of injury and it was Garrincha who led Brazil in 62. His first World Cup win Didi was the player of the tournament. In His final win in 71 he was not even the top scorer in that team that was jarzinho.

In other words that team was absolutely stacked and he was not there best player in either of the wins. Also many Brazilians claim Garrincha was the better of the two but Pele had the fame. In Brazil many who saw them play are said to have said Garrincha was superior

also keep in mind I am not saying he is not an all time great because he for sure is but lots of people place him as the “bench mark”on goat tiers but I would take any of the 4 players I mentioned above Pele without even having to think twice about it.

Also I was being nice about the score lines when he played for Santos lots of those games ended 8-0 10-0 11-3 etc.
Tbf we can easily talk down the achievements of pretty much every GOAT debated player.

What is bugging me more though is that you are putting Ronaldo Nazario in a list with Cristiano, Messi and Maradona. For me he isn’t their level. Or were you on about Didi, Jairzinho and Garrincha? haha

SportingCP96

Supports
Tbf we can easily talk down the achievements of pretty much every GOAT debated player.

What is bugging me more though is that you are putting Ronaldo Nazario in a list with Cristiano, Messi and Maradona. For me he isn’t their level.
That’s fair and I think there is a debate on if or if not Ronaldo Nazario is on a top 5 all time list but he was unbelievable.

Even removing him though I just personally feel Cristiano, Lionel Messi, and Maradona are superior players to Pele.

Once again though I just want to make it very clear I am not saying Pele is some average joe or whatever. He is 120% an all time great. I am just saying when talking about the top 3 or 4 players of all time I personally would not put him over those guys I mentioned. Some people here like to twist words (not saying you are one of those people) so I just want to make that clear.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
That’s fair and I think there is a debate on if or if not Ronaldo Nazario is on a top 5 all time list but he was unbelievable.

Even removing him though I just personally feel Cristiano, Lionel Messi, and Maradona are superior players to Pele.

Once again though I just want to make it very clear I am not saying Pele is some average joe or whatever. He is 120% an all time great. I am just saying when talking about the top 3 or 4 players of all time I personally would not put him over those guys I mentioned. Some people here like to twist words (not saying you are one of those people) so I just want to make that clear.
That I definitely agree with.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

He scored one of the best world cup goals of all time in the '62 tournament he "didn't even play in". He won best young player of the '58 tournament and scored twice in the final- in which he became and remains the youngest player to ever appear (17). You think it very important that in 1970 "he was not even the top scorer and use that to assert that he wasn't even Brazil's best player. Yet you completely overlook the fact he won the golden ball for best player in that tournament.

All in all your first two paragraphs are spectacularly one eyed.

SportingCP96

Supports
He scored one of the best world cup goals of all time in the '62 tournament he "didn't even play in". He won best young player of the '58 tournament and scored twice in the final- in which he became and remains the youngest player to ever appear (17). You think it very important that in 1970 "he was not even the top scorer and use that to assert that he wasn't even Brazil's best player. Yet you completely overlook the fact he won the golden ball for best player in that tournament.

All in all your first two paragraphs are spectacularly one eyed.
He got injured in the group stages and did not play further.. Garrincha led Brazil to victory in 62.

Pele was also part of a star studded team and he was the best player of his generation or at least the most popular for sure in what was a pubescent era in football where defending was not much of a strong suit. Was Pele a key player in his 2 World Cup win (3*) yes but he was not so unbelievably better then everyone in those tournaments which is an often mis conception.

Old heads in Brazil will tell you Garrincha was better.

Is Pele an all time great? Absolutely

Is he better then Messi, Ronaldo, and Maradona? Not a chance (IMO).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So Ronaldo has just scored his 750th career goals. The next question is, how far behind now he is from all time record?

I’ve done some quick research based on follow data:

RSSSF
- all goals scored in official competitive matches, but also include u-23, u-21, u-20, u-19 etc international games

1. Bican - 805 goals
2. Romario - 772 goals
3. Ronaldo - 768 goals
4. Pele - 767 goals
5. Puskas - 746 goals
6. Messi - 739 goals
7. Muller - 735 goals

Wiki official data (from multiply sources)
- include all official goals scored for clubs and countries in competitive games, excluding youth games, reserve games, u-21 international etc

1. Bican - 805 goals (but seems this figure also includes goals in reserves)
2. Pele - 757 goals
3. Ronaldo - 750 goals
4. Romario - 735 goals
5. Muller - 724 goals
6. Messi - 712 goals
7. Puskas - 706 goals

Unofficial data
- include all goals scored in every official and unofficial games, such as friendlies, preseasons, or exhibition games against amateurs etc

1. Bican - 1468 goals (by estimation only, some data record are loss/missing as it’s during 1930s
2. Muller - 1461 goals (surprise no one ever mentioned this? it’s basically under same criteria as Pele 1284 goals, yet the Guinness record belongs to Pele, anyone know why?)
3. Pele - 1284 goals (Guinness World Record)
4. Friedenreich - 1229 goals (self-published figure, unable to prove this record by anyone, even back in his time. Also, it was during the time when Brazil league is still at amateur level)
5. Franz Binder - 1040 goals
6. Romario? - 968 goals

Conclusion:

- From the above, under RSSSF data, Ronaldo probably need to score another 38 goals to break the all time official goals record held by Bican during 1930-1940s. But it includes U-21 games.

- If we only go by wiki sources and exclude all youth and U-21 games, he will need to score 56 more goals to outscore Bican. But seems Bican 805 goals also counts goals scored in reserves? If we exclude Bican record for fair comparison, he will need to score 8 more goals to outscore Pele official one.

- there no way he could beat unofficial Guinness record held by Pele. But it counts all friendlies and exhibition games even against minors or amateurs (for example, Ronaldinho recent goals against prisoners teams may count under this criteria too) So, it’s rather meaningless to pursue such record.

- but most likely people will compare Ronaldo career goals (for clubs and countries, excluding U-21/youth games) with past greats, based on RSSSF data, in which the criteria will apply/benefits the past greats only (which may include goals scored in reserves)

Last edited:

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
This is actually a very interesting thing, to analyse the goals of the players of old eras, I will create a new thread to go deep into the biggest scorers (Bican, Pelé, Romário) and where and how they scored.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I'm convinced that if he gets to 900 goals before turning 40 he won't retire until he scores 1000.

So he has 4 years to score 150 goals. Good luck :lol:

SirAF

Ageist

Nets against Barcelona, just like in the old days :D

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Ronaldo scoring penaldos at the Camp Nou, i love it!

SportingCP96

Supports
Just GOAT thangs, you know the usual ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.