73 goals all competitions in a season

91 goals in a calendar year

7 Pichichi

6 Golden Boot

6 Ballon d'Or

1 World Cup Golden Ball

6 FIFA Best Player

2 UEFA Best Player

Goalscorer and playmaker (unlike Ronaldo)

Better goal/match ratio compared to Ronaldo.

Better assist/match ratio compared to Ronaldo.

Sure Messi has one less CL titles, but Messi beat Ronaldo is their only CL final together, and Messi has more league titles in total, many of which he directly faced Ronaldo’s Madrid. Ronaldo only has two league title during his many years in Madrid as a consequence of Messi’s dominance.

Again, give me Messi’s accomplishments all day over Ronaldo’s.

This is common sense, but also not the place for it man.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Don't know what it is about Ronaldo. United legend and all that. Made two CL finals with him, winning one; league titles etc etc. I should still really love him, but I don't. I should at least like him, but I don't. Undoubtedly one of the all time great players. I think it's just because he comes across as extremely petulant, sort of like a massive man baby. That said, it's not fair to blame him for the sub-culture of hysterical fanaticism that's goes on in his name, just like isn't fair to blame Messi for the same. But lord it is tiring.
You're not the only one feeling that way. What is more strange, I didn't even miss him once he left (and I really kind of should have looking at it from footballing perspective).

Didn't want to be here anymore, good luck or whatever, book closed.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Messi is greater.

734 goals

309 assists

34 trophies

55 freekicks

54 hattricks

50 league goals in a season

7 Pichichi

6 Golden Boot

6 Ballon d'Or

1 World Cup Golden Ball

6 FIFA Best Player

2 UEFA Best Player

Sure Messi has one less CL titles, but Messi beat Ronaldo is their only CL final together, and Messi has more league titles in total, many of which he directly faced Ronaldo’s Madrid. Ronaldo only has two league title during his many years in Madrid as a consequence of Messi’s dominance.

While your post is totally one sided and posted on the wrong thread, and after having weighting merits from both sides based on similar criteria you’ve set above, I still think Ronaldo accomplishment is slightly better.

Ronaldo:
More career goals, more club goals, more international goals, more CL goals, more CL assists, more freekicks goals, more hat tricks, more individual records, more CL wins, more international trophies.

Messi:
More career assists, more club assist, more international assist, more league titles, more Ballon D’ors, more golden shoe, more trophies.

But note some of criteria above are indeed very close, so it could still change anytime, I’ll list the closest one here:

Ballon D’or: Messi 6 Ronaldo 5
Freekicks: Ronaldo 56 Messi 55
Trophies: Messi 34 Ronaldo 33

And for those which I don’t see there will be any possible change of their standing in future:

International goals: Ronaldo 103 Messi 71
Career assist: Messi 309 Ronaldo 224
Club assists: Messi 267 Ronaldo 194

For those which I think will be unlikely to change in future, but won’t say 100% won’t happen:

Individual records: Ronaldo 143 Messi 126
CL goals: Ronaldo 134 Messi 120
International assist: Messi 42 Ronaldo 30

For career goals, although Ronaldo is still comfortably leading by 773 to 734, their standing could still change if Ronaldo retired maybe 2 seasons earlier than Messi, or if Messi decided to spend a few more years in MLS earning his last big pay cheque before retiring etc And given that Messi is 2 years younger, it could actually be very close in the end. It’s mostly about longevity game at this stage.

Last edited:

Pocho

While your post is totally one sided and posted on the wrong thread, and after having weighting merits from both sides based on similar criteria you’ve set above, I still think Ronaldo accomplishment is slightly better.

Ronaldo:
More career goals, more club goals, more international goals, more CL goals, more CL assists, more freekicks goals, more hat tricks, more individual records, more CL wins, more international trophies.

Messi:
More career assists, more club assist, more international assist, more league titles, more Ballon D’ors, more golden shoe, more trophies.

But note some of criteria above are indeed very close, so it could still change anytime, I’ll list the closest one here:

Ballon D’or: Messi 6 Ronaldo 5
Freekicks: Ronaldo 56 Messi 55
Trophies: Messi 34 Ronaldo 33

And for those which I don’t see there will be any possible change of their standing in future:

International goals: Ronaldo 103 Messi 71
Career assist: Messi 309 Ronaldo 224
Club assists: Messi 267 Ronaldo 194

For those which I think will be unlikely to change in future, but won’t say 100% won’t happen:

Individual records: Ronaldo 143 Messi 126
CL goals: Ronaldo 134 Messi 120
International assist: Messi 42 Ronaldo 30

For career goals, although Ronaldo is still comfortably leading by 773 to 734, their standing could still change if Ronaldo retired maybe 2 seasons earlier than Messi, or if Messi decided to spend a few more years in MLS earning his last big pay cheque before retiring etc And given that Messi is 2 years younger, it could actually be very close in the end. It’s mostly about longevity game at this stage.
Wrong thread

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Messi is greater.

734 goals

309 assists

34 trophies

55 freekicks

54 hattricks

50 league goals in a season

7 Pichichi

6 Golden Boot

6 Ballon d'Or

1 World Cup Golden Ball

6 FIFA Best Player

2 UEFA Best Player

Grow up ffs.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Imagine scoring 134 goals in UEFA Champions League and in 20 years' time people will talk about such achievement like we talk about European Cup our grandfathers watched.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Imagine scoring 134 goals in UEFA Champions League and in 20 years' time people will talk about such achievement like we talk about European Cup our grandfathers watched.
Which is exactly why people shouldn’t slag off the historical achievements of players like Pele, DiStefano etc. It’s dumb

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In decades or so, GOAT of CL will be equivalent of GOAT of Europa, but I don’t think it matters much, as it’s different era.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yeah and Messi has been judged to have been the best player on the pitch far more than Cristiano in the CL. 39% times more.. that's a lot.

You still sticking to your undebatable claim?
In the CL? Very much so

MrEleson

99 goals for Juventus today.
In under 3 seasons, with a dreadful midfield and fullbacks as supporting cast and from ages 33-36.

I wonder if he'd become the 1st player to score over 100 goals for 3 different teams in their career or has someone else already achieved this feat.

La Vecchia Signora

Supports
Juventus
I liked the way he celebrated when he scored the winning goal. Hope he stays one more season and then retire.

bakalhau

I liked the way he celebrated when he scored the winning goal. Hope he stays one more season and then retire.
Typical celebration from him. Not a common celebration, but he does it at very specific times.

Namely whenever he turns a game around with his goals and it's an extremely important game. Today was very important for Juve. His celebration was just the whole releasing of adrenaline from not having scored the last 3 games and mounting pressure surrounding him.

I keep my stance. Serve him well and he'll keep on being decisive for you. I don't mean Real Madrid level service, just some decent service each game to him, and he'll make it happen for you guys.

Luke1995

In under 3 seasons, with a dreadful midfield and fullbacks as supporting cast and from ages 33-36.

I wonder if he'd become the 1st player to score over 100 goals for 3 different teams in their career or has someone else already achieved this feat.
Amazingly, today he has the same number of goals as Dybala who has been there since 2015.

I think he would be the first to achieve 100 for 3 different teams and the national team.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The GOAT

Carrying Juve to 4th
To be fair Messi does the same thing in a league he has only ever dominated where it so suits his game with the ball on the floor 24/7.

Shame he doesn't have the guts to try out a new league where he will end up as a failure as he did with Argentina and with Barcelona post Xavi and Iniesta's retirement where his trophy wins are shockingly low. Thought a move was finally going to happen but it was nothing more than a contract renewal because Messi is a pu**y compared to Ronaldo :lol:

Messi in these quarter final CL's are becoming an easy money maker because Barcelona never really achieve much with him without the rest of the world cup winning spanish team behind him.

But but.. a dribbling goal against getafe & betis where the defenders were never defenders in comparison to the Serie A or Premier League :drool:

So many players flop when trying to adapt to a new leagues (werner, Hazard etc) - to the point you say Ronaldo flopped at Juventus serie A; yet you cant see why so many people dont rate Messi as the GOAT because he has never tried another league apart from his delicate little la Liga home :lol:

GOAT of the La Liga. Not much else and you having a laugh at Ronaldo's lack of success in the Serie A highlights the need of Messi's success for a single club and league outside Barcelona and La Liga ( & Barcelona without the spanish world cup winners behind his back).

Thanks for showing it to the Messi fans!

Last edited:

Impulse

Romario scored 100+ goals for PSV, Flamengo and Vasco da Gama.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Isn’t Messi carrying his team to a similar position :confused:

Both of the best players I’ve ever seen play currently sit 3rd in their respective league tables. Both on level points with 2nd.

Bunch of weird cnuts in here I tell ya.
Barcelona are still in the title race although they are unlikely to win it after slipping up against Granada recently. However holding both teams topscorers responsible for not winning the highest honours is childish.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
To be fair Messi does the same thing in a league he has only ever dominated where it so suits his game with the ball on the floor 24/7.

Shame he doesn't have the guts to try out a new league where he will end up as a failure as he did with Argentina and with Barcelona post Xavi and Iniesta's retirement where his trophy wins are shockingly low. Thought a move was finally going to happen but it was nothing more than a contract renewal because Messi is a pu**y compared to Ronaldo :lol:

Messi in these quarter final CL's are becoming an easy money maker because Barcelona never really achieve much with him without the rest of the world cup winning spanish team behind him.

But but.. a dribbling goal against getafe & betis where the defenders were never defenders in comparison to the Serie A or Premier League :drool:

So many players flop when trying to adapt to a new leagues (werner, Hazard etc) - to the point you say Ronaldo flopped at Juventus serie A; yet you cant see why so many people dont rate Messi as the GOAT because he has never tried another league apart from his delicate little la Liga home :lol:

GOAT of the La Liga. Not much else and you having a laugh at Ronaldo's lack of success in the Serie A highlights the need of Messi's success for a single club and league outside Barcelona and La Liga ( & Barcelona without the spanish world cup winners behind his back).

Can you go to the Ronaldo Vs Messi thread for this stuff. Why does every thread related to either Messi or Ronaldo get littered with posts like this?!

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

expand...
What challenge is Ronaldo facing?

He is playing for the best italian team in the last 10 years.
Also he hasn't even been a top 3 goalscorer in CL since he is in Juventus, who would have thought... playing for better teams boost your individual performances.
Seems like someone is missing Kroos,Modric, Carvajal and Benzema assists in CL.

Cal?

CR7 fan
What challenge is Ronaldo facing?

He is playing for the best italian team in the last 10 years.
Also he hasn't even been a top 3 goalscorer in CL since he is in Juventus, who would have thought... playing for better teams boost your individual performances.
Seems like someone is missing Kroos,Modric, Carvajal and Benzema assists in CL.
He was 3rd top scorer in 18/19, but never let facts get in the way of cheap digs at Ronaldo. :rolleyes:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
He was 3rd top scorer in 18/19, but never let facts get in the way of cheap digs at Ronaldo. :rolleyes:
His first CL-campaign was decent, fair enough.

That said, he scored about as many in CL in his last season for RM as he did in 3 for Juve, there is a reason for that.

He scores a good amount in Serie A, he is doing fairly well, but if we are being honest, Serie A is a bit lackluster these days.

Cal?

CR7 fan
His first CL-campaign was decent, fair enough.

That said, he scored about as many in CL in his last season for RM as he did in 3 for Juve, there is a reason for that.

He scores a good amount in Serie A, he is doing fairly well, but if we are being honest, Serie A is a bit lackluster these days.
Cos he had a better team at RM? You-know-who's CL goalscoring record has been just as bad in 19/20 and 20/21 (same number of goals over 2 seasons).

La Liga really isn't all that either these 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.