Cristiano Ronaldo | Transfer Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybomb

I know a lot of people like comparing this to an ex girlfriend and I understand the comparison. But it's never been a truly apt one.

The history between Manchester United, our fans, Ronaldo and Sir Alex is almost perfection. From a buck-toothed 17 year old to best player in the world with us. Those were 5 crucial years for him as a player and set him up for the success at Real. Given his affection for the club, I would not put it past him to feel an urge to come back as a grown man, having accomplished everything (CL titles and Euro Cup in particular) and in a way, give back...cement his name further in our lore by leading us back to the promised land of elite status both in England and Europe.

Maybe it wasn't on the cards before but has become a possibility in light of non footballing events.

That said, PSG is such an awful choice in so many ways. I imagine he'd be better off going straight to the MLS
That's my thoughts too. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit and he actually doesn't give a feck about us but I like to believe this is the case. Bringing Ronaldo back would be the best signing of all time. And if it's ever gonna happen, it's now.

Sterling Archer

That's my thoughts too. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit and he actually doesn't give a feck about us but I like to believe this is the case. Bringing Ronaldo back would be the best signing of all time. And if it's ever gonna happen, it's now.
I really want to not get pulled into this transfer ride. It's going to be nails on a chalkboard. But from so many angles, if Ronaldo makes good on his tantrum and leaves, United is probably the best choice. Just his brand alone, consider that there is not another club that can really maintain that in the same way.

Argh the thought of a return is just too much...must be pessimistic..must avoid disappointment haha

WPMUFC

So Castles says we are looking into it.

COPE reporting that he's not getting any new contract extensions or tax help.

I don't think we can just say "this is like ramos all over again" :lol: Doesn't mean he's coming here but this seems to be turning into a full blown stand off.

peridigm

My thought on us signing Ronaldo back boils down to our other transfer business. If it doesn't hamper our other needs I say go for it. Money is not the issue. If Madrid want €130m then give it to them if he's willing to come back.
He's still fit as ever. He may not have the flair as he once did but he's an amazing specimen. It's still a big gamble though. Injuries happen i.e. Zlatan. One thing that is almost as certain as the sky is blue. They will want DDG to go the other way. So not only would we still need to sign a DM, LW, and possibly another striker, we'd also need to sign a keeper unless Romero gets the nod or Navas ended up coming our way as well.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Come on Cristiano. You know you want to become top goal scorer of two big clubs.
He scored like 120 goals for us? He needs another 140 at least. Say he signs for us and scores at about 30 goals an year, he'll need another 5 at the same pace :eek:

But if he does that, 100 million is money well spent.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Not sure I actually want him at the price the papers are quoting. He might be am amazing player, but he is 32. We would get one or two good seasons and then his name, price tag and ego will hold the team back as he starts to decline and we are unable to drop him. If we thought Rooney always playing the last couple of years despite being poor was bad, I can see Ronaldo if he came having the same problem in a couple of years, but worse.

If we are going to spend upwards of a 100 million, I would prefer it be a younger player coming into their prime.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Not sure I actually want him at the price the papers are quoting. He might be am amazing player, but he is 32. We would get one or two good seasons and then his name, price tag and ego will hold the team back as he starts to decline and we are unable to drop him. If we thought Rooney always playing the last couple of years despite being poor was bad, I can see Ronaldo if he came having the same problem in a couple of years, but worse.

If we are going to spend upwards of a 100 million, I would prefer it be a younger player coming into their prime.
To be fair, 80 Million on Hames Rodriguez is not that much better spent on a 100 million on Ronaldo now. Ronaldo at least gives us 2 years at the top, Hames may not give us even that.

Dave46

He is, but he's not got much left to prove any more - at his best for us he was motivated to get a move to Real, and once there he's been motivated by becoming the best player ever at the biggest club in the world (he's at the very least in that conversation). After leaving them I'm not sure where he finds the same motivation on a domestic level. He could still return here and become our highest ever goal-scorer (he has over 100 goals already), but would he care about that? He could be the one that restores Man Utd to the top table, but I doubt he cares that much about United to take-on such a mammoth challenge at the end of his career.

Making PSG into Champions League winners might be a more obtainable motivation at this stage of his career. He'd destroy the French league, win every domestic trophy there without trying and then save his best for the Champions League matches, all while being personally connected into the PSG sugar daddy's bank account and living in Paris. They would have so much going for them as an option for him.

But it's not relevant of course, we won't leave Real Madrid - obviously I can't say that for certain, but I'm still saying for certain he won't leave Real Madrid :D
Can you imagine in Ronaldo's mind that Mbappe is moving to Real and he has to play in that league. He would go insane. He could come and try win it all at United, proving that he does not need Real Madrid to win CL again.

Sterling Archer

Not sure I actually want him at the price the papers are quoting. He might be am amazing player, but he is 32.
After almost a half decade of not being in contention for the Premier League and in the Champions League, let alone winning them both...would you pay that sum to win both next season and set us back on the top of Europe's elite?

That is what Ronaldo does to the team, whether 32 or 33. One other current player has that immediate influence - Messi.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)

We arent talking about someone on the level of Rooney here, we are talking about one of the best players to have ever existed still in his prime. I can see CR7 pulling off a Zlatan and play well into his mid 30's at a TOP level.

RetroStu

407 goals in 8 seasons, averaging 51 goals a season for 8 straight years, AND some people don't want us to sign him.
Jesus wept.

Having said that, it would be just our luck that Ronaldo DOES leave Madrid, and goes to PSG lol.

Nah i'm not getting sucked into this. Ronaldo coming home was always a dream for me, but reality finally dawned on me 2 or 3 years ago.

Varun

Staff

If there's one player you'd back to be still performing in his mid 30s, it's Ronaldo. He's changed his game massively too and should age well. Ibra has shown us that age is really just a number. Rooney has too tbf :lol:

POF

Seems like posturing on both sides. If Real are so willing to let him go, United should offer to take him on loan.

Varun

Staff
I know a lot of people like comparing this to an ex girlfriend and I understand the comparison. But it's never been a truly apt one.

The history between Manchester United, our fans, Ronaldo and Sir Alex is almost perfection. From a buck-toothed 17 year old to best player in the world with us. Those were 5 crucial years for him as a player and set him up for the success at Real. Given his affection for the club, I would not put it past him to feel an urge to come back as a grown man, having accomplished everything (CL titles and Euro Cup in particular) and in a way, give back...cement his name further in our lore by leading us back to the promised land of elite status both in England and Europe.

Maybe it wasn't on the cards before but has become a possibility in light of non footballing events.

That said, PSG is such an awful choice in so many ways. I imagine he'd be better off going straight to the MLS
Not a slight on you but I will never understand the romance around him. To call his history with us perfection is absolutely mind blowing to me. He left us for Real at his peak, actually wanted to leave an year earlier and had to be convinced to give us another year. Even if you believe he genuinely was a move now, it's not his love for us that's making it a possibility, it's because he's having issues at Real, the club where he wanted to finish his career.

RetroStu

We had Scholes and Giggs playing until they were late thirties, and i think Ronaldo is a slightly higher level specimen if you know what i mean.
Ronaldo would still be getting 20 goals a season at 40, i'm being serious as well.

Varun

Staff
Seems like posturing on both sides. If Real are so willing to let him go, United should offer to take him on loan.
We could offer for Real to pay his wages for the entire loan too, I mean why sell yourself short in a make believe alternate universe.

Jaybomb

Not a slight on you but I will never understand the romance around him. To call his history with us perfection is absolutely mind blowing to me. He left us for Real at his peak, actually wanted to leave an year earlier and had to be convinced to give us another year. Even if you believe he genuinely was a move now, it's not his love for us that's making it a possibility, it's because he's having issues at Real, the club where he wanted to finish his career.
3 Premier Leagues, 1 Champions League, 1 Club World Cup, 2 League Cups, 1 FA Cup, 1 Ballon d'Or and the only player to ever score 40+ goals in a season for an English team.

But yeah, nothing romantic or historic. :nervous:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
3 Premier Leagues, 1 Champions League, 1 Club World Cup, 2 League Cups, 1 FA Cup, 1 Ballon d'Or and the only player to ever score 40+ goals in a season for an English team.

Didn't Ruud get 42?

Varun

Staff

Moved to Real at his peak and would have left an year earlier if he had his way. It's far from a perfect relationship as the guy I quoted put it.
Never know on here during the transfer season.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Big Dunc has now put up an article that we are indeed interested in him.

Is it time to get excited?

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
#Believe

I have been waiting for this moment ever since he left muppets. God I feel so emotional, we are closing in on cock out time. I can feel it.

STLCARDS

Of course, whenever Ronaldo says he wants to leave Real Madrid, we can't look at it without skepticism. And, the way he said it this time, to all the newspapers in the world quoting the 'tax charges' as his reason – makes it seem even more cynical.

But this time, it so appears that he genuinely wants to quit Real Madrid. The fraud charges won't disappear even if Real Madrid pays all the tax that's levied upon him. In fact, that'd prove him guilty. Even if he quits Spain, he'd still have to appear in court and face the trial. There are many theories suggesting that his frustration with the Spain government is just a facade to cover his frustration with Real Madrid. It would appear so that when the Real Madrid fans whistled at him during a match, he felt disrespected. He was open about that to the media. And, he confided his desire to depart with SAF. There were some small rumors at that time in papers that Ed Woodward was obsessed with bringing back Ronaldo to OT. And, they were reasonably dismissed. Later, when we won the Europa League, Mourinho teased the media and the fans at the Monaco Grand Prix by saying, "I know what my transfer list looks like if who were the players I want, but there's a very good surprise on there". All our transfer targets were widely covered in the media – Griezmann, Perisic, Belotti, Lindelof, Keane, Morata, Fabinho/Matic/Dier... None of them would've been good surprises.

Looking back at the events that've transpired over the past few months, some rumors that seemed silly at the time of their surfacing would make sense if Ronaldo returns to OT. It is true that Ronaldo is irritated by the tax-fraud accusations. But, that might not be the actual reason why he wants to quit Real Madrid. He might have made up his mind long before Real Madrid retained the UCL. I won't be surprised if Ronaldo were to don the 7 again at OT, in the next two months.

Flytan

Of course, whenever Ronaldo says he wants to leave Real Madrid, we can't look at it without skepticism. And, the way he said it this time, to all the newspapers in the world quoting the 'tax charges' as his reason – makes it seem even more cynical.

But this time, it so appears that he genuinely wants to quit Real Madrid. The fraud charges won't disappear even if Real Madrid pays all the tax that's levied upon him. In fact, that'd prove him guilty. Even if he quits Spain, he'd still have to appear in court and face the trial. There are many theories suggesting that his frustration with the Spain government is just a facade to cover his frustration with Real Madrid. It would appear so that when the Real Madrid fans whistled at him during a match, he felt disrespected. He was open about that to the media. And, he confided his desire to depart with SAF. There were some small rumors at that time in papers that Ed Woodward was obsessed with bringing back Ronaldo to OT. And, they were reasonably dismissed. Later, when we won the Europa League, Mourinho teased the media and the fans at the Monaco Grand Prix by saying, "I know what my transfer list looks like if who were the players I want, but there's a very good surprise on there". All our transfer targets were widely covered in the media – Griezmann, Perisic, Belotti, Lindelof, Keane, Morata, Fabinho/Matic/Dier... None of them would've been good surprises.

Looking back at the events that've transpired over the past few months, some rumors that seemed silly at the time of their surfacing would make sense if Ronaldo returns to OT. It is true that Ronaldo is irritated by the tax-fraud accusations. But, that might not be the actual reason why he wants to quit Real Madrid. He might have made up his mind long before Real Madrid retained the UCL. I won't be surprised if Ronaldo were to don the 7 again at OT, in the next two months.
You've used 2 different "instances" that haven't been verified despite you quoting them as gospel.

1) The Mourinho "surprise" quote has been discredited and he hasn't actually said it
2) You're quoting a "Daily Mail" article for him confiding in Fergie. How on earth could they have that information?

Now they could be true, but you're speaking as if they're verified events, they are not.

SSSSnake

Dude don't compare Rooney and Ronaldo. Ronaldo has actually kept himself in good shape. He could honestly play on for another 5 years. Rooney is your typical English player who loves to smoke and eat kebabs and it shows with his physical decline.

Flytan

Dude don't compare Rooney and Ronaldo. Ronaldo has actually kept himself in good shape. He could honestly play on for another 5 years. Rooney is your typical English player who loves to smoke and eat kebabs and it shows with his physical decline.
Hey don't only include English players in that! Loads of Brazilians peak early too!

yo@Kirk

I hope United management have the good sense to get verification from Spain's taxing authority that Ronaldo is not suspected of any criminal charges before spending more than 300m euros in fees and wages on Ronaldo. I don't trust Ronaldo's agent, his lawyers, or Real's management to be absolutely truthful in the matter.

Reactions: Penna

MorraGambit

Not sure if its achievable. He'd have to average about 33 goals a year for 4 years.
He scored like 120 goals for us? He needs another 140 at least. Say he signs for us and scores at about 30 goals an year, he'll need another 5 at the same pace :eek:

But if he does that, 100 million is money well spent.
Don't worry guys. He can still play until he's 41.
http://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2016/11/12/582716a6ca4741cd738b4595.html
For another 9 years, (maybe) he can even double Rooney's goal tally! :drool:

Edit: The downside is maybe we'll score less from freekicks as he definitely want to take them all.

Last edited:

SATA

Duncan Castles was among the first who reported our interest in getting Pogba back and the deal happened. So he must surely know something within the club being Jose's mouthpiece and all. Let's hope it ends up the same with Cristiano

I am officially on board the train now! :drool:

STLCARDS

In his first season at Madrid he won the Copa del Rey, finished 4 points behind Barca in the league and reached the semis of the CL (knocked out by Barca)

Given the greatness of Barca at the time, it' a bit ridiculous to proclaim his first season at Madrid as an outright failure.
Winning the Copa del Rey was the reason I said, 'got away with his failed first-season'. RM's performance in La Liga isn't exactly a metric for success. It'd be funny to call the second-place in a two-man race, as a runners-up medal. In fact, if RM finished four points behind Barcelona in Mourinho's first season, they finished only 3 points behind, in the season before that. Mourinho was a great coach and won trophies everywhere. But his managerial skills were really put to test for the first time at RM. And, he didn't perform well in that test. Perhaps, I should've been more discrete and said that he failed as a manager, instead of calling him an overall failure, in his first-season at RM. He's always been a terrific coach and his success is mostly accredited to that. But, he's still a student when it comes to being a great manager. There's so much difference between coaching and managing.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I know he is gestifute's mouth peice and this may as well just be done to put pressure on Real Madrid. But Big dunc is not wrong about mourinho tragets.

STLCARDS

You've used 2 different "instances" that haven't been verified despite you quoting them as gospel.

1) The Mourinho "surprise" quote has been discredited and he hasn't actually said it
2) You're quoting a "Daily Mail" article for him confiding in Fergie. How on earth could they have that information?

Now they could be true, but you're speaking as if they're verified events, they are not.
I'm not quoting verified statements from papers. I'm speculating based on rumors, most of which are silly to take notice of. That's what this particular thread is for – to speculate about Cristiano's transfer, isn't it? Had there been concrete evidence in the papers, there'd be no need for us to speculate. Nothing, including the official press releases, in the media is gospel. You need to start reading between the lines if you want to know the truth from the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.