Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
I think there was a quote some time back about how if he moved in the summer he would come to us only, not ac milan or city. Not sure if it was fake but it was going round, Im unaware of the original source. Ill try to find it...
I seem to recall him saying along the lines of "anything can happen in the future, who knows" when asked if City was a possibility.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
If he really does want to come back to the Prem, I absolutely do not see him going anywhere but back at United.

Not just cause he is still very much respected here. But for his own image and endorsements outside of what he can get from United as wages, he will be at the biggest sporting francise on earth.

City may be able to pay him more, but the sky is the limit for him earning on image rights playing for Manchester United.

And it does help that he does hold the club and Fergie in high regards.
He does not have any issues with Maurinho...only with Madrid fans...so if Maurinho does end up here as has been speculated, there will be no issues.

;)

Brophs

The One and Only
You're talking no less than £60m transfer fee. Wages of probably £10m a year with the usual add-ons. Various image rights and loyalty bonuses.

The deal would probably cost us the guts of £120-£130m over five years. I don't think there's any chance we would or could spend that.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Nothing he's said or done would suggest to me that he would refuse to go to City.
Discounting his relationship with Fergie and some of the players then? Ronaldo to Citeh infact probably wouldnt be such a big splash considering all the big egos already there, I would imagine he would put a few noses out of joint and cause more instability!

Red Dreams

You're talking no less than £60m transfer fee. Wages of probably £10m a year with the usual add-ons. Various image rights and loyalty bonuses.

The deal would probably cost us the guts of £120-£130m over five years. I don't think there's any chance we would or could spend that.
I always hear the club is skint and what not.

We have a debt, but we are the best run club in the league.

City and Chelsea fans are the ones that should be worried. They are at the whims of their owners.

Should United be sold, it would still be very much a going concern. Those other clubs would be brought down to the level of what they really are....poorly supported nothing clubs with little or no history.

If the manager wants Ronadlo back is the real question. He may not.

But if does, assuming Ronaldo wants to leave of course, there is no way the club will lose money on the deal.

The money you mention is nothing big.

Brophs

The One and Only
I always hear the club is skint and what not.

We have a debt, but we are the best run club in the league.

City and Chelsea fans are the ones that should be worried. They are at the whims of their owners.

Should United be sold, it would still be very much a going concern. Those other clubs would be brought down to the level of what they really are....poorly supported nothing clubs with little or no history.

If the manager wants Ronadlo back is the real question. He may not.

But if does, assuming Ronaldo wants to leave of course, there is no way the club will lose money on the deal.

The money you mention is nothing big.
We pulled back from signing Sneijder for less.

ciderman9000000

Sneijder doesn't compare to Ronaldo in any way, shape or form.

"He'll never buy a Lamborginhi for £40,000, he turned down a Ford KA for £35,000 only last year!"

It doesn't make sense.

Brophs

The One and Only
Sneijder doesn't compare to Ronaldo in any way, shape or form.

"He'll never buy a Lamborginhi for £40,000, he turned down a Ford KA for £35,000 only last year!"

It doesn't make sense.
Personally I don't rate Sneijder all that much but he's regarded as one of the top players in his position in the world, so your analogy's a mile off.

Red Dreams

Correct.

Firstly Sneijder was sought as a straight replacement for Scholes. His benefit I believe was seen as only from what he could bring to the team.

The money being speculated about was not just for him but matching Rooney too...( I know it was from the Sneijder thread, but I remember reading that elswhere too. Perhaps it was teh same source.)

I think with Ronaldo we are talking beyond just a very good player to strengthen the team,but a business/image enhancing opportunity beyond what he brings to the team.

All speculation of course.

Red Dreams

The City connection does not make sense for a player at the level of Ronaldo. Only Messi compares.

Players at that level, playing for a club that is not Madrid, Barcelona or Manchester United is really taking several steps down.

ciderman9000000

Personally I don't rate Sneijder all that much but he's regarded as one of the top players in his position in the world, so your analogy's a mile off.
Is he? I can think of a fair number of CM's better than Sneijder. Can you think of many forwards better than Ronaldo?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The City connection does not make sense for a player at the level of Ronaldo. Only Messi compares.

Players at that level, playing for a club that is not Madrid, Barcelona or Manchester United is really taking several steps down.
I'd agree with Real Madrid and Barcelona to City being a step down, but how is United to City a step down in the football quality sense?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'd agree with Real Madrid and Barcelona to City being a step down, but how is United to City a step down in the football quality sense?
Its the totality of the club that needs to be looked at - football, history, long term sustainability, manager, environment and facilities etc.

reddevilcanada

Don't think he'll go to City. We're his favorite club in England, he's close friends with the lads and understands the rivalry. Don't think the wages would be a big issue as he's making shit loads of money anyways and the transfer fee could be less of a deal if he doesn't renew his contract and has only 1 year left. If he's coming to England, it will be where he became the best player in the world, at Old Trafford.

That said, the story is likely BS anyways.

Red Dreams

goes back to the argument of the stature of a football club.

City and Chelsea are really 'artificial' clubs, with all due respect to their supporters.

Sure City play top quality football.

But are they anywhere as big a club as us?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Its the totality of the club that needs to be looked at - football, history, long term sustainability, manager, environment and facilities etc.
True, but I don't think that really matters to a lot of players now. Money is where it's at, and then after that comes future success. Prestige and history seems to lag behind.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
True, but I don't think that really matters to a lot of players now. Money is where it's at, and then after that comes future success. Prestige and history seems to lag behind.
As mentioned before, he already makes far more from endorsements than he does on the pitch. He has the luxury of playing for whoever he wants without money being the main factor.

Mick1991

As mentioned before, he already makes far more from endorsements than he does on the pitch. He has the luxury of playing for whoever he wants without money being the main factor.
I'm sure his agent would have something to say about that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm sure his agent would have something to say about that.
He made 4m from when we sold him to Madrid. Then again, he manages loads of players including our own Nani and Anderson, as well as half the Portuguese squad, and also Mourinho. I get the impression we (United) are on very good terms with him.

Mick1991

We are (I'm pretty sure I read that we have some sort of deal with him), but that doesn't mean that he is going to let his biggest money making client (in the prime of his career) take a pay cut to join us.

It just wouldn't happen.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I can see Ronaldo giving Real his 27-31 years before hawking his final years to the highest bidder
Surely that's 25-31 then.

Come 30, he may be ready to settle back to life at United and the sugar daddy teams may be chasing bigger players than Ronaldo.

If he comes available we will probably go in for him, but I still can't see us winning unless his heart overrules his agent.

Jacob

He's the type of player that will struggle in their 30s, his game is too reliant on his explosiveness wich inevitably decline by then.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Ronaldo's easily got the talent to adapt his game, though. He's a wonderful player technically, and has already adapted his game massively once in his career.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Ronaldo is arguably Fergies crowning achievement* in shaping and molding young players. I don't think they would ever be hesitation in resigning him should the opportunity arise 'which I doubt very much it will'.

If he were to come here though, his game would change a slightly I think. With the type of Strikers we have now, there is no need for him to be the all out goal scorer like he is for Madrid. Cut down some muscle and learn to cross again
:drool: Naan Bread-Rooney-Welbeck/Hernandez- Ronaldo

*Giggs and Scholes are fantastic players, but Ronaldo is in that special category above them. world player of the year and all that jazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.