Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
he didn't get great service to be fair to him. I just personally wouldn't bump the thread when he's played like shit and only got on the scoresheet through another soft penalty.

Trizy

I've often watched him this season where he doesn't add much to the game but still gets 1-3 goals, its just the way he's changed his game. Not as exciting as when he was at United but still scoring record breaking numbers, mind.

Bwuk

If he's scoring every game does he really need to dominate and influence the game?

I'd happily have the likes of Rooney not do much but still score every game. Goals win games.

Games where he and Messi don't completely dominate get overhyped. It's impossible to be brilliant every game.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Some might say "1-3 goals" is adding to the game.

If Falcao(or RvP etc.) never left the oppos box, and was putting up such numbers, every United fan here would be over the moon.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
I've often watched him this season where he doesn't add much to the game but still gets 1-3 goals, its just the way he's changed his game. Not as exciting as when he was at United but still scoring record breaking numbers, mind.
From what I remember, this is exactly how how he played at United post '07.

Bwuk

From what I remember, this is exactly how how he played at United post '07.
No it's not. Ronaldo would destroy teams. They'd have to have extra men trying to mark and close him down, which resulted in more space for Rooney/Tevez.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Interesting to see the contrast between him and Messi and their team ethics. People may have a crack at him for being selfish but never purposely disrupts the team like the shit that's currently going on over at barca.

Difference between somebody who has respect for their managers and a spoilt brat.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Interesting to see the contrast between him and Messi and their team ethics. People may have a crack at him for being selfish but never purposely disrupts the team like the shit that's currently going on over at barca.
Dunno about that, Ronaldo was all too happy to flutter his eyelashes our way when he wanted a new contract, he's also had pubic disputes when things haven't gone his way.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool

Difference between somebody who has respect for their managers and a spoilt brat.
Pretty sure he fell out with Mourinho...

Aside from that, Cristiano has been managed by Fergie, Pellegrini, Mourinho and Ancelotti. If they start hiring no-marks like Tata and Luis Enrique then you can compare his reaction.

Ixion

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Pretty sure he fell out with Mourinho...
Mourinho didn't leave Madrid because of that. He left because he wanted to get back to England. And it wasn't only Ronaldo having problems with Mourinho at Madrid. Ramos, Casillas, Pepe were a bigger issue with Mourinho.
Having said that Ronaldo did get Queiroz sacked from our national team. We were playing crap under Queiroz but there are plenty of stories of a Ronaldo ultimatum to the portuguese FA president to get him sacked. He also had an influence in Bento's sacking but the vast majority of the portuguese people thank him for that. Players like Ronaldo and Messi have far too much influence on their respective clubs/national teams.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Mourinho didn't leave Madrid because of that. He left because he wanted to get back to England. And it wasn't only Ronaldo having problems with Mourinho at Madrid. Ramos, Casillas, Pepe were a bigger issue with Mourinho.
Having said that Ronaldo did get Queiroz sacked from our national team. We were playing crap under Queiroz but there are plenty of stories of a Ronaldo ultimatum to the portuguese FA president to get him sacked. He also had an influence in Bento's sacking but the vast majority of the portuguese people thank him for that. Players like Ronaldo and Messi have far too much influence on their respective clubs/national teams.
I wasn't suggesting he got Mourinho sacked, just that it makes no sense trying to pretend Cristiano is always respectful to his managers.

To be honest with cases like Bento, Martino etc, if I supported Cristiano/Messi's clubs I wouldn't be too concerned about their influence. They demand perfection, that's better than having clowns in charge.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I wasn't suggesting he got Mourinho sacked, just that it makes no sense trying to pretend Cristiano is always respectful to his managers.

To be honest with cases like Bento, Martino etc, if I supported Cristiano/Messi's clubs I wouldn't be too concerned about their influence. They demand perfection, that's better than having clowns in charge.
Ronaldo's profissionalism is above any suspicion. Even after the problems with Mourinho, he always gave everything. It's part of his personality. Every player has it's occasional problems with managers. With all the strong personalities, management of big squads and pressure in the sport, it's only natural, they are human. The same applies to Messi.

I'm not too keen on FA's taking decisions because of certain type of player influence. In the FA's you have a clear football managing structure, with their respective responsabilities and objectives and this type of decisions should be made by them and not because of a single player influence. It's not like Ronaldo should run our FA. We have very capable people like Fernando Gomes and Humberto Coelho, who should think about that. Every person should have their respective role.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Ronaldo's profissionalism is above any suspicion. Even after the problems with Mourinho, he always gave everything. It's part of his personality. Every player has it's occasional problems with managers. With all the strong personalities, management of big squads and pressure in the sport, it's only natural, they are human. The same applies to Messi.

I'm not too keen on FA's taking decisions because of certain type of player influence. In the FA's you have a clear football managing structure, with their respective responsabilities and objectives and this type of decisions should be made by them and not because of a single player influence. It's not like Ronaldo should run our FA. We have very capable people like Fernando Gomes and Humberto Coelho, who should think about that. Every person should have their respective role.
That's fair enough. I agree that those players shouldn't run clubs, or FAs. On the other hand though, I think if any manager gets to a point where they "lose" Messi/Cristiano Ronaldo then you'd have to question whether they're the right man for the job going forward.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That's fair enough. I agree that those players shouldn't run clubs, or FAs. On the other hand though, I think if any manager gets to a point where they "lose" Messi/Cristiano Ronaldo then you'd have to question whether they're the right man for the job going forward.
Ronaldo and Queiroz had a great relationship since the United days. You want to know the reason why they fell off? Queiroz insistancy in playing him as a striker after the multiple interviews by Ronaldo saying that he didn't like playing there. Queiroz wanted to enforce his authority in the team, kept putting him there and after our elimination by Spain in the WC, Ronaldo indirectly blamed him in the post match interviews by saying to the reporters "Why we lost? You have to ask Carlos".
I understand your point in the last phrase but sometimes if you indulge too much to them, their influence becomes negative. I've seen this happen far too many times in my football club, with all the player power and i don't like it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
You want to know the reason why they fell off? Queiroz insistancy in playing him as a striker after the multiple interviews by Ronaldo saying that he didn't like playing there. Queiroz wanted to enforce his authority in the team, kept putting him there and after our elimination by Spain in the WC, Ronaldo indirectly blamed him in the post match interviews by saying to the reporters "Why we lost? You have to ask Carlos".
Well, he did go from being Portugal's top scorer in the qualifiers for the Euros (with Scolari) to hardly ever scoring (with Queiroz) - so it's not hard to see why that would bother him.

From what I remember, there were loads of odd reports around Queiroz himself at that time though. I know he got into some kind of pushing around squabble with a reporter at an airport. Then there were things like that mad story that Queiroz and his coaches had their own "English-speaking" table in the hotel restaurant when the team were eating, but the other staff (kitmen, physios etc) weren't invited to eat at the same time.

I don't know which stories were more than gossip, but it did seem to present a picture of Queiroz cracking under the strain.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Well, he did go from being Portugal's top scorer in the qualifiers for the Euros (with Scolari) to hardly ever scoring (with Queiroz) - so it's not hard to see why that would bother him.

From what I remember, there were loads of odd reports around Queiroz himself at that time though. I know he got into some kind of pushing around squabble with a reporter at an airport. Then there were things like that mad story that Queiroz and his coaches had their own "English-speaking" table in the hotel restaurant when the team were eating, but the other staff (kitmen, physios etc) weren't invited to eat at the same time.

I don't know which stories were more than gossip, but it did seem to present a picture of Queiroz cracking under the strain.
Like i said it was Queiroz fault for putting his best player in a position he didn't like. I understand Queiroz intent with that move (since we had a severe lack of striker options and plenty of wingers to choose from) but some things that look good on paper, don't work on the pitch. Even so Ronaldo had some reactions that weren't correct (in my opinion) specially since Queiroz helped with alot (admited by him) in his United career.

The story about the reporter is true. Although the reporter clearly tried to wind him up, he shouldn't have reacted that way. On those days, Queiroz was public enemy number 1 and everyone wanted to get a reaction out of him. The second story was denied by multiple sources.

The biggest problem with Queiroz was his competence as a manager. Most of his tactical experiments didn't work or failed to exploit the full potencial from Portugal's best players bar Pepe and Coentrão. He had some caracther flaws but so did Scolari (hitting a serbian player, having no relations with certain portuguese clubs and also some media). That and his problems with Ronaldo made sure his time was up at our national team.

Skorenzy

Damn :lol: is this true?

Ronaldo's best year: 61 goals 22 assists

Messi's worst year: 58 goals 22 assists

I think that's just referring to 2014 and how it was perceived as if Cristiano had reached some whole new level while Messi was at his worst in years.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I think that's just referring to 2014 and how it was perceived as if Cristiano had reached some whole new level while Messi was at his worst in years.
Except he was clearly worse in 2013?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
According to Jorge Mendes just recently launched book, United already had the Ronaldo transfer wrapped up before the Sporting vs United match. Now i can stop hating the fact that we invited you guys to the inauguration of our stadium :D

http://www.record.xl.pt/Futebol/interior_premium.aspx?content_id=924180
Yep, the original deal I believe was that Cristiano would have spent a season with Sporting Lisbon on loan before making the move. In the Sky Sports documentary shown yesterday, The Making Of Ronaldo, it was told that the original fee was less because of the 12 month loan in place. That game showed Ferguson that he was ready to play immediately in the Premier League and thus we increased the fee and the loan was removed.

It can be viewed in full below (deal discussion to us around 35 minute mark, Arsenal and Parma rejection around 33 minute mark):

Status
Not open for further replies.