Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...do-considered-manchester-united-summer-return

Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo considered Manchester United summer return

World player of the year Cristiano Ronaldo admitted he considered returning to Manchester United in the summer.
Ronaldo won the 2013 Ballon d'Or in Zurich on Monday night, the second time he was named best player on the planet after claiming the award back in 2008 as a United player.

The 28-year-old left Old Trafford for Real Madrid the following year in a world-record £80m deal but revealed Rio Ferdinand had called him in the off-season to try and convince him to return to Manchester and the Premier League.

"It was true that Rio Ferdinand spoke to me a lot to try and make me come back to United," he said afterwards.

"Rio is a great friend of mine, we played many years together at Manchester United and we were neighbours when I was there.
"He's a fantastic guy and tried to change my mind to go back to Manchester.
"I did think about United, they are still in my heart. It's a club where I played for six years, I love the club.
"I have a lot friends there and I wish them the best."

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Neither do I. We are in his past, he has nothing else to achieve. While at Madrid he still has a lot to achieve.

MJLD

Sorry if posted somewhere already, Rio Ferdinand on his Facebook page:

Cristiano Ronaldo - what can I say… incredible achievement, proud of you bro. Cristiano is living proof that no matter how much talent you have as a youngster, you have to work hard in order to be successful.

My first memory of Cristiano was in a pre-season friendly against Sporting Lisbon. After the game, the lads were raving about him, trying to convince Sir Alex and Carlos Queiroz to sign him up. Never had I seen a more mesmerising performance from a youngster than I did that day, he amazed us all. A few days later, he was a United player.

When I first met Ronnie at Carrington, he came across as a really determined lad - a rough diamond who was prepared to work as hard as he could in order to fulfill his potential. Thousands of hours of graft both in the gym and on the training ground turned him into the perfect specimen.

I’m still truly astonished by the drive and determination to stay at the top, by not only Ronaldo, but Messi too. It’s been a joy to witness these two push each other week in week out. The question I ask however is: would they be as relentless in scoring so many goals without each other, breaking every record along the way?

We are blessed to be in an era where both Ronaldo and Messi have lit up the game in a way that has never been seen before.

Viva Ronaldo.

P.S – I tried and failed to twist his ear.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The tax stuff?
Hardly grounds for calling him a tosser, don't you think?

I know a couple of guys who got into trouble with our revenue services here as well. One was trying to be a bit too smart for his own good, and the other just got taken for a ride by his accountant.

I mean, tax laws are fairly complicated, made even more so by all the international income these guys earn. I'm not calling him innocent, as the onus is on him to be responsible for his own submissions etc, but getting into trouble with the tax authorities doesn't make you a dick. All IMO anyway.

Anyway, bit of a moot debate and irrelevant.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Sorry bro, only logged on now again.

You rate? He's been alright as far as I know. Other than a bit of "hiersay" (sp?), nothing of note to make him seem like a tosser.

The rumours about his power in the dressing room over which players should be there and which shouldn't (the Zlatan case)? I'm just curious if this would also be a reason.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The rumours about his power in the dressing room over which players should be there and which shouldn't (the Zlatan case)? I'm just curious if this would also be a reason.

Yeah, like I mentioned, a ton of it is hieresay. Zlatan himself has said that he got along well with Messi and we all know that Zlatan speaks his mind.

Tibs

You know what, this guy is so fecking amazing, I'd sell 50 Wayne fecking Rooneys for 1 of him

Shark

@NotShark
You know what, this guy is so fecking amazing, I'd sell 50 Wayne fecking Rooneys for 1 of him

It's hard to believe that he hasn't won more at Real Madrid though, for all of his goals.

If he'd of stayed here, I'd confidently say that we'd have won three more titles on the bounce and would be leading the table right now. Having him in your team is a bit like cheating.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's never coming back, but I'll always love him. He's the best player I've ever seen in red. I believe he has genuine love for the club, unlike Wayne.

Shark

@NotShark
He's never coming back, but I'll always love him. He's the best player I've ever seen in red. I believe he has genuine love for the club, unlike Wayne.

Yeah, he showed a lot of respect for us in the CL tie last season. It takes a lot to not celebrate that goal that sealed the tie for Madrid, whatever way you look at it.

Bebe

It was clear on his face after the game had finished how he felt about Manchester United. Will always love the guy.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
To think that most on here were hyping Rooney up to become the better player.... I had to defend him against the Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime who were starting to lose faith (number7 ironically was the main culprit, especially after that wc incident) and believe the one trick poney digs from rivals and idiotic pundits.... They went at him Nani-style.

Iknow a great talent when I spot him.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
To think that most on here were hyping Rooney up to become the better player.... I had to defend him against the Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime who were starting to lose faith (number7 ironically was the main culprit, especially after that wc incident) and believe the one trick poney digs from rivals and idiotic pundits.... They went at him Nani-style.

You are probably the biggest idiot on this site, and that's constructive.

Cantona'sCollar

Agreed with the first part of your post, it was silly indeed how Cristiano was written off so early. However, it wasn't completely unfounded that he was in inferior talent to Rooney - Rooney's performances from the ages of 17 to 19 suggested he'd end up in the BPITW bracket after a couple of years, he was an absolute monster (see Euro 2004). Ronaldo never really replicated that quality on the pitch until his fourth season here, 2006/07 (at the age of 21/22), when he leapfrogged Rooney (and everyone else) all of a sudden, and became the best in the world. It was a very sudden & unexpected jump, and we shouldn't be quick to forget that.

:houllier: at the bolded bit, though. You make it out like we all thought he was going to turn into Emile Heskey, while you were the one who told Sir Alex to buy him. He was the most expensive teenager in the game when he came here, & was being watched by Wenger!

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Agreed with the first part of your post, it was silly indeed how Cristiano was written off so early.
He never said that... He said..

To think that most on here were hyping Rooney up to become the better player....
The reason most were hyping Rooney to be a better player, was simply because at that age he was. People forget but Rooney has been putting in world class displays since 18, the maturity he displayed on the pitch at 18 was unparalleled, even by CR. The difference was that CR has a deadly mentality combined with a natural athleticism, unfortunately our Wayne didn't kick on as expected, but to call is strange that people were calling it was, is wrong.

However, if you had tried saying that you could tell at that age he always looked as though he had a higher ceiling, that I can understand and possibly agree with, as it was clear that there was raw talent there, but Rooney at that age in terms of the displays they actually put out, was superior.

Cantona'sCollar

He never said that... He said..

The reason most were hyping Rooney to be a better player, was simply because at that age he was. People forget but Rooney has been putting in world class displays since 18, the maturity he displayed on the pitch at 18 was unparalleled, even by CR. The difference was that CR has a deadly mentality combined with a natural athleticism, unfortunately our Wayne didn't kick on as expected, but to call is strange that people were calling it was, is wrong.

However, if you had tried saying that you could tell at that age he always looked as though he had a higher ceiling, that I can understand and possibly agree with, as it was clear that there was raw talent there, but Rooney at that age in terms of the displays they actually put out, was superior.

Ah, rereading now, I did misunderstand. But yes, as I said (and we are agreed), Rooney was simply better at that age - he wasn't as raw, and he had the end product to go with the obvious gifts he displayed. At the age of 18 he was winning games for us, whereas Ronaldo was more peripheral, and totally expendable at the time (perhaps an overstatement, but he was not essential to us until 2006). People were talking about Rooney like he was the second coming - for several reasons, he developed slightly differently to how we expected (still a great player), but it is safe to say that with Ronaldo, ultimately it was the will to be the best that made him so much better. He indeed wasn't always better than Rooney.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Ah, rereading now, I did misunderstand. But yes, as I said (and we are agreed), Rooney was simply better at that age - he wasn't as raw, and he had the end product to go with the obvious gifts he displayed. At the age of 18 he was winning games for us, whereas Ronaldo was more peripheral, and totally expendable at the time (perhaps an overstatement, but he was not essential to us until 2006). People were talking about Rooney like he was the second coming - for several reasons, he developed slightly differently to how we expected (still a great player), but it is safe to say that with Ronaldo, ultimately it was the will to be the best that made him so much better. He indeed wasn't always better than Rooney.
Agree completely on every point, just wish we had Kev's insight...

He called Gareth Barry right... :lol:

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
It was obvious that Ronaldo had a far higher ceiling than Rooney... the raw talent was waiting to explode... laughing at the Rooney love in (not my fault most couldn't spot the Ronaldo talent that was waiting to massacre Rooney and expose him as a nothing talent compared to the Portuguese wonderboy) and when it took a year or so too long to develop people actually Nani-attacked Ronaldo...

I can not help it if I am always correct in spotting footballing qualities.

Wow to think avout 70 percent wanted Ronaldo out after that wc.. and no it wasn't just because in their eyes he did wrong to their darling Rooney.. they simply did not rate him that high anymore, they had a new toy in wayne.

I'll bet you they wouldn't have voted Ronaldo out in that poll had they known what was about to happen after that summer as proven by thr sudden adulation after he won us the title. What a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.